2008-04-21 14:19:06

i would like to be a game developer but i don't know how to begin. what do i need to be a game developer?

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-04-21 15:50:21

well you probably need to know how to program, but i am sorry seeing as I can not program and therefore I can't give you help on the subject
sorry, I know this wasn't the exact help you wanted

Connor

2008-04-21 16:29:55

Start small and learn the basics of programming first. It takes more effort than you might think, especially when you get to writing games.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-21 17:38:17

To answer the question specifically: you need a working language of whatever programming language (or languages) you wish to build your games in, which in turn requires knowledge of which language (or languages) would be best for the type of game you wish to design. Mostly, though, it's a matter of whether or not you have  feasible ideas. If you've got those, you can often get outside help if you know where to ask or who to speak to; if you have no ideas and no knowledge of programming, then saying "I want to be a game developer" is a lot like saying, "I want to play major league baseball"...if you lack the skills and the ambition, it's a meaningless statement.

More developers would be a good thing though, so I wish you the best of luck.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2008-04-21 18:03:24

where to learn the basics of programing?

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-04-21 18:03:40

Nin,

Start really, really simple.
Get a PC that runs Windows.
Get what is called a software development kit.
That's the program, or programs that let you build games.
Some of us use Java. Some use Basic. Most professional developers use C plus plus, but it's a real hard language.

Check out two forums: www.audyssey.org and http://usagames.us/mailman/listinfo/dev … agames.us.
Ask questions there about which language to use and which tools to use.
Then build a real simple game.
Otherwise, you get tangled up in a lot of details and it's easy to get discouraged.

I've been coding professionally for 30 years and coding games for the past 10 years.
It isn't easy.
But it's fun.

Good luck!

John Bannick
Chief Technology Officer
7-128 Software / www.7128.com