2015-03-01 11:02:53

It's the first of the month, so as usual that means another of these topics for all your random discussional needs. Chat casually about anything from what your playing/watching/reading at the moment, how disasterous (or otherwise), your life might be, to pretty much anything else that occurs to you.
Also remember that no rule says you can only post in this topic once, feel free to throw in any comments, observations or whatever that occur to you.

Of course, as Lord high topic starterer I get to go first big_smile.

Today I'll probably be heading off to spend some more time at my brother's, first going out for an awsome meal somewhere and then sitting around continuing with attack on titan on his home projector system. This should be awsome, sinse Attack on Titan is looking definitely interesting despite rather over inflated dialogue in the dub.
I'm also really! storming through Patrick Rothfus Kingkiller series, I've only got about another six hours of name of the wind left and considering that I started the book on Thursday that's quite going some big_smile.

Very great to see a fantasy author who can write, and the setup is intreaguing particularly how rather than a global view of the world like in WoT or Mistborm you follow a sigle character, which I actually prefer. I also really admire the way that Rothfus doesn't just have the hole book be a parade of depressing grimness, there are as many good strangers as bad ones, also the book isn't all war and battles either, indeed it's quite refreshing to read something that gets it's conflicts and excitement through means other than mighty sword battles, ---- not that a good dramatic fight isn't a bad thing if handled properly in the plot and described well, but you can feel sometimes as if your reading a transcript of a computer game about how the main character goes to his first war and gains so much experience points which he puts into sword skill big_smile.
My only cryticism is that the romance seems a little too shiny, albeit that sinse the story is being told by the main character I can sort of understand the reason why it seems more significant. I also like the way that the main character is setup as ridiculously brilliant at pretty much everything from music to smithing, but that this doesn't exactly get him too farwith things either.

I won't unfortunately be writing a review of the books for fantasybookreview.co.uk, sinse the lady who writes many reviews (and who I often agree with), has already done a fine job with Rothfus, though I have just sent off a speculative peace for their blog on the subject of escapism, we'll see how that goes.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-03-01 17:48:16

Hello,
@dark: I can't say I've hard of that review site, I'll have to check it out.
On my end, not too much has changed, accept that I'm working on something for Beatstar which I will be sending to oriol, who will hopefully then give me an idea of whether he can add it or not. If he can, well, I'll definiely be looking forward to it, as I don't think you guys will be expecting what I have planned.
I recently watched a film called Rise of The Planet of the Apes, which I rather enjoyed, it was more of a character film but with a bit of action too, and was written quite well. The music was also quite good but I think could have been a little better. Looking forward to watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes this week.

2015-03-01 19:15:44

Yay! Another monthly Chat! At the moment I am rereading "A Wizard of Earthsea", and it's better than I remember. I've also been having lots  of thoughts about "closing the window of windows", but my current laptop's warranty (life time!) will be voided if I change the OS. Darn it!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-03-02 10:07:22

Well attack on Titan continues to be awsome even if a bit over inflated with dialogue sometimes, my brother described it as the opposite of Wheel of time sinse like WoT your always being introduced to new characters, ---- who then get very bloodily eaten up by giants and die horribly! big_smile.
Actually there was a scene of one of the principle characters in a giant's stomach which was really rather disturbing.

I will say the plot is very unexpected in places and also the action is extremely different, for example the best way people find to defeat the giants is with soldiers who wear multi directional gear,s ets of magnitized graples so that they can literally movelike spiders in any direction.

I'm not sure it's my favourite anime but I do really like the feeling of not knowing where the story is going or who will survive, and the world is one of the most unique i've seen, particularly with the giants just being brutal!

We also went out for a very awsome Brazilian meal which was sort f like a continual bbq with e restaurant who just keep handing out various cuts of meet from some awsome sausages to some amazingly nice marinaded beef ribs.

@Aaron, The fantasy book review site is here  I've been writing reviews for them as one of their full time site reviewers, which I've enjoyed doing though for some reason I always wind up doing things like Roald Dahl because I think it's such a shame his books have got missed, ---- then again do I really need another excuse to reread Roald Dahl? big_smile.

My last two reviews were for Dan wells' book partials, and for Priests of Ferris by Maurice Gee.

I've not seen any of the planet of the apes sequels, though I have seen the original of course. It does slightly strike me they're flogging a dead horse, ---- or a dead ape as it were with the usual hollywood multiple sequels, like the many terminator films or the robocop reboot, but not having seen any of the modern films I'm not sure.

@Blindndangerous, Wizard of Earthsea is cool and definitely worth rereading, I did it myself a few years ago. The original Trilogy are fantastic, albeit a little humerless. I really however disliked the fourth book Tehanu which seemed to be a very grim feminist lecture disguised as a novel, but then again that was written 19 years after the originals when Leguin had taken up Feminism in a big way, actually like many authors I always felt her stuff was best when she just told stories rather than ramming her viewpoint at people so forcefully, ---- I feel the same way about City of Ilusions vs far more famous sequel The Left hand of Darkness.

However all that aside, I love the writing style in Wizard of Earthsea, the language, the poetry and the philosophy behind it. The Rnib also have a version read by none other than the cyber controller himself David Banks in his deep and resonant voice which is awsome! big_smile.

Btw, have you heard the bbc radio play of Wizard of Earthsea? It was done in 1996, by brian sibly, and is as good as most of his work, actually a lot of the structure and the use of narration vs dialogue reminded me of the Lotr radio play. It's narrated by Judy Dench who isn't the person I've have first thought of to narrate earthsea but does a great job due to her presence.

The only miner problem is the boy who plays young Ged can't act for toffee, the scene when he calls a hawk and gets the pronunciation of the name wrong is sort of funny, ---- greatest wizard of Earthsea? big_smile.

There's even a lovely Patrick Rothfus homage to Earthsea in Name of the Wind sinse the university (which teaches magic among other things), has 9 masters including a master namer. Then again I do notice Rothfus has the same gift as MArtin in this regard, to stick in little references that people will pick up on or not but not be clever about it, for example the standard greeting for one nation where one person says "At your service" and another replies "At yours and your family's" just as Bilbo Frequently does in The Hobbit.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-03-03 20:09:28

I have never seen Attack on Titan, but I have heard good things about it.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-03-03 20:38:27

@blindncool, Attack on Titan is good, albeit with something of a surfit of mighty big speeches big_smile.

I spent most of today learning and then rehearsing Corner of the sky from Pippin, it's far more jazzy than the usual stuff I do but sinse I wanted to improve my musicals repertoire my singing teacher suggested I give it a go, and hay the words could've been written for me :d.

2015-03-28 11:26:51

Hi.
Seems as if this topic faded away a little, so hopefully I can bring it back.
I just finished an annotated bibliography and a literature review for a long assignment that has to be handed in this year. This is the first time I've to take on a project this large, but at least I'm interested in the topic so that helps.
We currently have a two week break for Autumn/Easter.
I really need to pick up something to read again, haven't done that in a long while.
And currently I'm addicted to Lords and Knights. I picked the game up back in 2013, then quickly lost interest. But three months ago some friends tried it, so I joined them. I currently have 12 castles on the one server!

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2015-03-28 13:21:25

I'm just discovering this topic.

This month, as evidenced by my posts in this forum, I discovered Clok Mud.  It's a learning process, but I'm having fun with it.  The most interesting thing is how much your play style can vary from one character to another.  You can be a moneymaker, a fighter, a healer.  I love the crafting, and the well-written room descriptions.

Aside from that, I am an avid reader.  This month, I went back to some of the sci-fi/horror classic authors I've missed, and I've had a wonderful time discovering Ray Bradbury and Richard Matheson.

Finally, I've checked out a couple of described movies - The Hobbit, The Maze Runner, The Matrix, and a darker one called Breakdown.

And that's my month in media for March 2015.

2015-03-28 14:49:04

Glad people remembered this topic, even if soon we're going to be needing another one.

@Mirage, Ray Bradberry is awsome! one of the few people I know who can show the best and worst of humanity equally well. ironically, I don't think Farrenheight 451 is his best novel sinse it is a little slow in places and hard to grasp, personally I love his connected short story collections like Martian chronicles and The Illustrated man. I also didn't know there was a film of the maze runner, I enjoyed the book and the series, though sinse what I enjoyed was the unexpected plot and the wel done characters I'm not sure how much would translate.

The principle reason I've not been around here much (or for that matter on Clok mud), is that for the last almost two weeks I've had the most god awful case of the flue! It's been a real pest, particularly sinse my throat has been so sore I literally have not been able to speak, let alone practice my singing or do any voice recordings for Steampunk Neverlan, and even online I've barely been able to check my mail and kick out the spam.

Today I am feeling a little more human so hopefully finally things are improving.

About all I have done is read a huge tonne of books. Terry Pratchett's gnomes series, (which I had a mind to write reviews for), Tad Williams Bobby Dollar trilogy, and the novelization of Doctor Who deadly assassin, and I've just finished the first of Richard Cardry's Sandman Slim novels.

Bobby dollar was interesting, being as it's Williams' attempt at an urban fantasy, harry dresden type series, featuring an advocate angel who gets called out to the sites of recently dead to argue the case for their souls against a demon prossicuter. I'm not sure whether it's that that genre doesn't appeal to me as much or whether I was too enflunerated to appreciate these but they didn't seem up to williams usual standard, ---- well accept for the second book.

The main character was the usual hard drinking bastard type, but that really didn't do much for me, and though the central conflict of the books, about a group trying to setup a third alternative to heaven or hell was an interesting one it didn't get explored in as much detail as it should've done, the romance also seemed really superficial being as basically Bobby and his girlfriend just meet, do the horizontal tango (in more detail than I would've liked), and then he's madly in love for some odd reason.

On the plus side, the descriptions and ideas surrounding heaven and hell were great, and the reason the second book was my favourite is basically it's just a long trudge through hell, which Williams depicts in amazingly disturbing ways particularly with what gets done to bobby Dollar in the process, actually the third book was a bit of a let down after that big_smile.

I also liked the idea that heaven was static, because joy was something that needed to continue, but hell was constantly changing so that the various sinners didn't get used to the way things were (and things are pretty grotty).

Sandman slim is about what I expected, it sort of reminds me of that old film "the crow" it's about a nearly invulnerable bastard who kills monsters and demons in terribly nasty and action orientated ways with zero anxt, (one better than that winy wizard Dresden), not much description, actually it sort of reminded me of a written commic.

Not exactly astounding writing quality, but good fun and about the level of concentration I want when I can't stand up streight (I do have some more intelligent stuff on my victor, but my brain just isn't up to it right now).

2015-03-28 18:20:41 (edited by Mirage 2015-03-28 18:23:30)

Glad you're beginning to feel better, Dark.

I agree with you about Fahrenheit 451.  I read it in high school, and again a year or two ago, and I wasn't overly impressed.  That was the only Bradbury thing I had read up to that point, so it wasn't the best first impression.  But I read the short story collection, "Driving Blind", and I liked it much better.  He surprised me in his ability to be scary, nostalgic, poignant, and profound all at the same time.  The martian Chronicles is on my list next.

Terry Pratchett is another one on my to-read list.  No matter how much I read, it seems like I never catch up with all the authors I want to discover.  It's a great problem to have though!

Speaking of science fiction, does anybody have opinions about the www .wake series, about the blind girl who gets her sight, but sees the internet instead of the real world.  A lot of blind people seem to hate it, but I thought it was a pretty interesting concept, and seeing the internet as a living entity broke my mind in a good way.

The Maze Runner movie definitely isn't equal to the book, but it's fun to watch it on described video and see it come to life.

2015-03-28 19:46:17

I had a funny experience recently, sinse I heard the bbc radio play of Farrenheight 451 and had the distinctly off experience of missing American actors, sinse for some reason the bbc cast it all with English actors even though Bradberry's phrasing and grammar are definitely American.
the dramatization was there, the acting was great (they had the awsome Peter Miles as Beetee the fire captain who definitely makes a good wordy psychopath), but I just didn't feel a lot of the phrases came out correctly from English characters.
The reason I say this is odd is that usually I have the reverse experience, finding an American (usually in a fantasy novel), using English phrasing and expecting it to come out sounding the same but it just sounding wrong to me.

At least when I read farrenheight 451 the reader (I believe it was Bruce Montigue), did use a passable American accent.

Getting back to books though, I actually think Bradberry was better at short stories than with novels generally precisely for the reasons you describe. MArtian chronicles is definitely worth reading, though annoyingly apparently in some more modern editions they substitute some stories and even remove the story "way in the middle of the air" which is all about black segrigation and was written in America in the fifties, because "it's no longer relevant" which is pretty rubbish sinse it's a wonderfully written story and you don't need to have been around at the time of Martin Lutha King to appreciate it.

I'd also really! recommend the Illustrated man, sinse that has some of bradberries best stuff, including "last night of the world" which is probably my single favourite end of the world story ever written.

As to pratchett well there is a lot to choose and a lot to say. I will say his stuff is very unique, though not always perhaps best in plot or characters, though can be disturbing and surprising at points. 

Most people start with Colour of magic, though in a lot of ways both that book and it's sequel are a little rough around the edges, indeed of the early discworld books Mort and Weerd sisters are imho the best.

Who is the www trilogy bye? is that Robert Sawyer? It's not one I've heard of though the character you describe rather reminds me of Martine derubanne (which I'm probably horribly misspelling), from Tad williams' otherland series.
There, when you first meet her on the multi sensory net she comes across as quite mysterious sinse she doesn't use any sort of approximation of herself, just a globe of light and later the Mona lisa, and has some very odd knolidge about the otherland network. Then, when she and various other people wind up trapped in Otherland, a virtual reality network so complete it's indistinguishable from reality you find out she's actually blind, and while at first she's overwhelmed by the amount of information from the network being transfered to her brain through whatever access system she's using (williams never makes it clearn exactly what), later she begins to find that she can discover other bits of information about the world in the network such as where portal doors are.

A really interesting character I thought, particularly with how her blindness was worked into her back story and how you found out why she was exactly how she was, one of the few occasions when the "blind =  super sensory" trope hasn't bothered me because Williams explores it in very complete detail and you understand both the good and bad points and also because Martine is a lot more than just her blindness, ---- for example she keeps a diary and provides the only first person narration in the book, (though sinse Otherland experiments with all sorts of narration and genre styles that isn't too surprising).

2015-03-28 22:29:53

The www .wake series is by Robert J. Sawyer.
I'll have to check out that Otherland series.  I hadn't heard of it til now.

OH that ENRAGES me about the Ray Bradbury books!  If I write something in 2015, and a hundred years from now everybody knows better, it's an insult to me as a writer for someone to come in and change my words or rearrange them.  We are going way too far in this world where political correctness is concerned.  When we whitewash somebody's work to the point that it takes away the timestamp of the work, and removes the unique feel of that particular author, that's just wrong to me.  I'll definitely be on the lookout for the original Martian Chronicles, not the new version.

2015-03-29 17:08:12

@Mirage, yep, the version I read was the original, apparently they chose to remove the story "way in the middle of the air" because it was felt it was no longer relevant, but as I said, why?

I can highly recommend otherland. The books are city of golden shaddow, rivers of blue fire, mountain of black glass, and sea of silver light, and it's by Tad Williams.

It's actually hard to say what genre it is, sinse on the one hand it is set i the late 21st century an is slightly cyberpunk with the iea of an internet plugged into people's brains, however it also experiments with a lot of story telling types from African folk tales to Conan the barbarian style fantasy adventure. The series revolves around The Otherland network, a virtual reality created which is indistinguishable from reality, and as with most of Williams books gets hugely complex and features multiple characters and plot threads, but is very awsome.

Right now I'm still feeling fairly dead, so am reading the second sandman slim novel, which is okay as far as guns and violence and one liners go, but not particularly deep or something that will make me think much.

I'm really hoping this bloody infection clears up soon sinse I'm supposed to be at music school in a couple of weeks, indeed this week I need to go and learn some Iver Novello for an audition, but sinse I can barely speak let alone sing and am still farely shattered I'm not sure if that is going to happen.