2015-02-20 12:27:17 (edited by Genroa 2015-05-01 12:48:31)

Hi all!

I'm new on this forum, i'm coming from the BGT discussion forum. I would like to present (and maybe recrut people to help me?) a project i'm carrying since the last year : a game engine for games in BGT.

The idea : BGT provides useful functions easily manipulate sound, files, ... But even with this, we are far from a real game. That's where Heat Engine enters.
H.E. (Heat Engine) is a great set of classes made to manage all the "functional" part of your game : collisions, default classes, network management, player controls, saving/loading a game in one line... You just have to be creative, creating subclasses of an already existing class tree providing classes for weapons, characters, vehicles, system objects like score managers, ... H.E. also implements an event system and is very flexible.

Link : http://heatengine.craym.eu/

This is a really complex thing, but the online documentation will soon provide complete workign examples and tutorials to help yu understanding every part of it.

Current version : v0.10

Done:
- a Game class
- a ready-to-use non-blocking architecture using ticks and events
- a incomplete class tree and events tree providing simple classes like characters. More coming soon
- loading/saving maps in one line!
- weapons
-simple inventory and items system

Roadmap:
- full 3D sound using FMODEx (next version)
- classes allowing inventory, pickable items (next version)
- score manager (next version)
- complete demo showing all features (next version)
- network hosting (engine architecture is designed add this easily)

The engine is free and open source.

Any comments are welcomed! smile

2015-02-20 12:57:36

I will help as much as I can, but I do not understand your engine fully yet, maybe with the demo! smile

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2015-02-20 14:34:44

Hello,
This is a very interesting project. I read about this on the blastbay forum and am very excited about it. I am still learning bgt right now, so am not able to help. I'll let you know in the future if I can help though.

2015-02-20 16:44:37

@Genroa, I could write documentation for this engine if you want. Function, class, and variable documentation, too. Just give me the word and I'll do it for you.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-02-20 18:00:37

Welcome to the forum Genroa!  I wish you luck on your project.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-02-20 18:02:04 (edited by Alan 2015-02-20 18:03:22)

Hi there,

Good job, I'd like to help, just tell me how could we colaborate and what areas you want me to help with.

Good lck!

2015-02-21 01:16:21

@Ethin: the website contains the beginning of a doc. What do you think of it? smile

For everyone, before asking what part needs help, maybe you should dig into the engine and ask here for answers to all the questions you may have? smile

2015-02-22 18:37:24

Interesting project...
God luck!
I will check it.

Emanuel Boboiu
Errare humanum est, sed perseverare... diabolicum.
For other Audio Games and programs, visit www.scripts.pontes.ro!

2015-02-23 20:22:32

@Ethin : for the doc, the best thing we could do I think is to use the same thing as Javadoc does : you add anotations (like this: #@Test) in your code files, and then you launch a program which will look at all the project and create an HTML doc from theses anotations. What do you think of it?

2015-02-28 00:13:56

I think this would be a good thing. Finally an engine to make BGT easier! This will also give me more motication to learn intermediate/advanced BGT.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-02-28 06:25:04 (edited by Ethin 2015-02-28 06:26:08)

@Genroa, this would be very difficult to do. Javadock analyzes source code comments, and extracts data from them. We would need to figure out how to duplicate that and analyze special tags in the code to create HTML documents.
Of course, I encourage the development of this tool. This post is not to discourage you at all. I'd be happy to help you develop this tool. bgtdock sounds like a good name, eh? I mean, its javadock (java dock), so why not bgtdock (b g t dock).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-02-28 15:20:35

It's not so hard to write, but I'm also pretty sure it already exists for arbitrary languages. (Is that what Doxygen does?)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-02-28 15:27:37 (edited by Genroa 2015-02-28 15:30:16)

I don't think it would be really hard to do smile If someone wants to help me with this, maybe we could write a little demo version in no time!

Edit: i didn't know what Doxygen is, it's fantastic!

2015-02-28 18:50:18

Does doxygen really run against bgt?  Really?  If yes, I find that very amusing.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-02-28 18:54:28

Doxygen does not run against BGT. I should make it do that though. Now that would be funny.

My Github

2015-02-28 19:58:09

That might actually be possible.  I'm not sure how Doxygen's internal pipelines work, but it already manages Java and C++, and I think it manages Python.  As I recall, I never used it on Python because there's better options and the way Doxygen wants you to do it is painful.  But the actual input parsing might be abstract enough to hack it into something usable in a couple days, and you'd get a lot of stuff for free.
Also, don't underestimate the power of typing an external manual by hand.  This is a perfectly valid approach too.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-02-28 21:17:59 (edited by Genroa 2015-02-28 21:19:16)

I'm now writing the documentation all by myself, I think I will forget the idea of using an automated tool (lke I doc with the Javadoc in Java). The manual has the same structure as the BGT help. (see http://heatengine.craym.eu/Doc/Heat%20E … 0Help.html )

I constantly edit this manual with the HelpNDoc tool smile

2015-03-02 21:49:04

I've found that the HelpNDock application is not accessible. I mainly prefer doxygen or some other documentation generation automation tool to do the work for me.

My Github

2015-03-02 22:19:08

Right now I need someone to help me designing the most important actors which will be used in the first real demo. If someone have the time to understand the engine (or to ask questions) and help me creating:
- inventory
- pickable objects (and weapons)
- if possible, creating all that with the event system (not needed for the first demo)

2015-03-03 10:06:33

Hi.
wow. Sounds interesting.
I have tried to learn BGT multiple times, but I always gave up. I hope this engine finally makes it easier to understand how it Works, since so many Things are build into the engine.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-03-03 10:13:26

It doesn't really replace BGT, but it helps to get a support already managing controls, movements, inventories, weapons, network,... I'm currently working on the inventory actor.

2015-03-05 17:39:25

Hello,

I have downloaded the chm file and I'm reading.

Genroa, where do you discus about the engine? Tell me what to do and I'll start working. Have you started coding that inventory class? If not, I'll do. Or any other thing needed.

Contact me at: alan.jdv(at)gmail.com, or alan.escola in skype.

2015-03-05 18:23:39 (edited by Genroa 2015-03-05 18:40:33)

I already created a very simple Inventory class, and i'm nearly done with a standart Weapon class which will be the superclass of every weapon in game smile i can post these two classes here even if they are not finished or in the current released version of the engine

What do you think of the .chm file Alan?

2015-03-05 21:20:05

Well, about the chm file, it's enought to start developing, though some parts of the engine aren't docummented yet, it isn't? Like "preparing the game", in which you talk about map files but don't details much more...

And other minor things in the engine aren't still documented. Anyways, some finished projects never have been documented, so, great starting point.

If you want, choose a class or an interface for me and I post it here when finished. Or show here any incomplete class, etc..

Good job.

2015-03-05 22:09:15

I will send you a MP too tell you some things about how to create new actors and classes for the engine smile