2015-02-14 20:21:25

hello/ I'm intterested on producing music, so is there any way to play a guitar on my computer and to record it? thank you very much.

2015-02-15 02:00:51

Hi,
If you have an electric guitar, it should be easy to connect it to the computer and record it in your recording daw of choice...but if you don't, even akustic guitars can be recrded with a microphone. And if you have no guitar at all, there's midi keyboards which let you virtually play one. And if you don't have a midi keyboard, you can use your computer's keyboard to play it. If you post back which of these you have, I can give you more info.

This is not a signature.

2015-02-15 21:23:42

petrastavreva, yes, it is quite possible. Depending on what sort of gear and software you have it is pretty easy to setup. Usually you will want to have a mono to stereo converter jack that you can plug your guitar amp chord into and then plug that into the line-in on your computer if you have one. It is not a good idea to plug an electric guitar directly into your microphone jack as you can blow your sound card to heck if the volume is up too loud. Still I have heard of that being done.

Personally, if you have a good microphone that is the ideal way to record your guitar. You get all the effects on your amp such as reverb, distortion, chorus, etc and if you have a good enough microphone that is the way to go.

As far as software goes that all depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just interested in recording and editing solos something like Goldwave is fine. If not there are accessible multi-track software that is fairly screen reader accessible.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-02-16 12:51:36 (edited by the_ruler_of_dark_forces 2015-02-16 12:54:02)

Another option is to use a multieffect box either as the usb interface if it has that option or send it's output to the soundcard. Many of them   have quite decent amp and cabinet emulation nowadays, so if you don't mind fiddling with the knobs, you can get quite good tones out of them. Of course these boxes can have some accessibility problems, so you have to try them and read the manuals to kno how usable they are.

2015-03-02 22:56:20

GuitarRig is a good program to use, but it's for presets more-so than recording.  I would suggest using an amplifier hookup, plugging it in to your input.

Tward mentioned that you could blow out your sound card, which I would recommend you invest in an audio interface if you want a good quality.  The cheap microphone built-in won't cut good quality, just enough to listen to it and that's about it.

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2015-03-03 00:08:10

Agree with post number 4. An effects processor is the best way to go if you can get one with a USB audio interface option. the pod hd series from line 6 probably has the best amp modelling and controllability I've seen in a multieffects board. Of course the problem with going through your amp into the computer's line in is that if you have a unique sounding rig or amp rig then you won't catch all the nuances and subtleties of the amp's tubes, cabinet shape, etc. Best to do either as Tward said and get a good microphone designed for recording guitar amps with full range, or use a multieffects processor and have a more than enough range of amp sounds to choose from. And as I said, Line 6 is my recommended choice, either their floor units which have great modelling and the most realistic I've heard when being connected through an audio interface, or one of their actual modelling amps like the spider series which all have USB audio options.

Discord: clemchowder633