2015-02-28 06:31:47

Hello everybody, I have some questions about the ubuntu linux and also started to use the little time:

1: How to make the orca start automatically?
2: How can I access my files on the pc?
3: How can I view my installed apps? on the home screen only shows libre office and firefox,that being searched for thunderbird and he found
the application already installed.
4: I found a tip that pressing f10 Linux open the application menu bar, as the file windows, edit, etc. Only I can not do
this, give the command and it will not. What to do?
5:as search for the application name in the central
programs?
I use ubuntu 14.10.

2015-02-28 11:58:07

Hi, while its been forever since i've used ubuntu, I always changed my desktop to gnome-shell or gnome-session-fallback as my prefered desktop, though lately i've had a go at the ubuntu mate remix and loved what I saw of it, I might even consider if I gett a second computer to reformat this old desktop and give game development on linux ago. If I remember my unity correctly however, pressing windows brings up what's called the dash. In older versions of ubuntu this used to be very accessible, at least to where you could get to your apps, but my last run with ubuntu showed me nothing of the same. Have you tried pressing alt f2 and typing in the name of the app you want to run?

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-02-28 12:25:34

hi the latest Ubuntu is not that grate for us it is betar that we install mate desktop in it or as danni said go and get the ubuntu mate it works like a charm

my d b invitation
to all   
hi make a new account   by going to this link and get 500 MB extra   go grab it
https://db.tt/eiWBLCJn

2015-03-01 03:51:14

Diego, you haven't stated what desktop environment you are running so I am going to assume here you are running the stock Unity desktop. Unfortunately Unity isn't fully accessible at this point in time and you might be better off using a Gnome or Mate remix of Ubuntu. In any case here is the answers to your questions.

As far as starting Orca the first time you launched Orca it should have asked you. If not Go to the launcher bar with alt+f1, go to settings, and then to the accessibility options and check the screen reader checkbox. From that time forward Orca should come up on login.

As far as accessing files the program is called Nautilus. There are a number of ways to launch Nautilus but the main one is to press alt+f1 to get to the launch bar and go to the launcher called home. Press enter on that and it will open your home directory with all your personal files and directories.

As for viewing your installed apps that is a bit problematic in Unity. The way you are supposed to do that is through the Dash, but the Dash isn't accessible. At the moment. If you know a certain app is available accessing them is accomplished by doing alt+f2, typing the name of the program, and running it that way.

Actually, on a stock install of Ubuntu I believe the command you want is alt+f10 not f10. That will take you to the menubar. Try that and see what happens.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-03-01 04:27:55

The weerd thing is, previous versions of ubuntu used to have this unity dash at least somewhat useable. If I ever get to a position however where I want to replace windows, not likely to happen as I can't find a good rapper for sppech-dispatcher for pure basic in linux, i'd go with mate. It has the old look and feel of the gnome2 desktop, they've even retained the top panel menu with the easyly accessible system menu containing the shutdown and log off items, things which for some really odd reason gnome-session-fallback lacks.

2015-03-01 06:53:39

If you want to try a simple version of ubuntoo try vinux

2015-03-01 11:53:49

Danny, you are correct about prior versions of Ubuntu having an accessible version of the Dash in Unity. The problem is a couple years ago they decided to rewrite Unity, create a newer 3d version of it using different toolkits etc, and the end result is a bunch of accessibility problems that didn't previously exist. So its a case of filing bug reports and waiting for someone to fix those bugs in Unity. In the mean time as I said using a different desktop environment is the best solution.

CBenner, while Vinux is a decent solution for beginners I happen to feel it leaves much to be desired and shouldn't be recommended to a new user. The principle reason is that Vinux is based on a much older version of Ubuntu and lacks a lot of the accessibility updates and bug fixes present in more modern versions. If people are talked into using Vinux because it is made specifically for the blind they miss out on a lot of good stuff by doing so.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-03-01 17:27:10

Vinux is my favourite, cause I'm a new Vinux fan. Vinux 5.x will be released this year

Luis Carlos Gonzáles Moráles, from Panama!

2015-03-02 09:07:17

I'm agreeing with @tward here on vinux. I first used vinux in 2008 on vmware, but once ubuntu 9.04 came out, and I had had quite enough with windows, me running on windows xp at that time decided to switch, whent with ubuntu. Yes yes, I know, ubuntu 9.04 had a lot of instibilities, but once properly fixt, the responce was a grate leap over ubuntu 8.10, and ubuntu 9.10, despite being a complete failure with media play back, improved on speech support. Ubuntu 10.04 was just one of though's got everything right releases. Vinux was their, and if I remember correctly, a lot of pulseaudio fixes were ported to ubuntu 10.04, and these fixes, for the most part, stayed with ubuntu. In though's days, i'd happyly tell a new user vinux was the best and to get it for starting out. However, now adays, I don't even use it. Its miles behind the compitition, and accessibility in ubuntu has improved so much that vinux has saddly, become out of date. Sonar however, that's dephanatly an operating system i'd consider using, if my externnel drive actually worked, seeing as I don't have any blank dvd's and I stopt using dvd's a while ago anyway.

2015-03-02 18:25:12

I'v ditched windows intirely for arch, which sounds rediculous i'm sure, but damn, i love how customizable arch is! I think the thing that resonates with me the most is the simple fact that if something goes wrong, you can fix it from the command line, even if you manage to break the desktop your using. You can simply start the desktop session whenever, so fixing things in my oppinion, is a lot more simple to do. Of course, arch is not for someone who just wants things to work, but i think learning how arch works teaches you a lot about linux in the process, so it's totaly worth the invested time.

2015-03-03 17:11:51

Hello everybody!
How to know if I esotu using unity or gnome?

2015-03-18 14:46:10

Hello everybody! How do I change the ubuntu language? I can not activate the selected language. Use ubuntu 10.14 in vm ware player, 64-bit.

2015-03-20 17:28:14

Diego, to change the default language you have to logout to the login screen, and activate Orca. Then select the default language and desktop you want the login to use.

As for the subject of knowing which you are using, Unity or Gnome, I guess one way to know is by checking the default desktop on the login screen. If you are using LightDM as your login manager you can tab over to the session button and see which desktop is selected for the session. Usually if you are using the stock U Ubuntu it will be Unity. If you are using Ubuntu-Gnome the default is Gnome, the default for Ubuntu-Mate is Mate, the default for Kubuntu is KDE, etc. My point being depending on which version or flavor of Ubuntu you downloaded and installed you'll get a different desktop. You'd know which desktop you have by the version you downloaded.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-03-21 15:02:39

Regarding Ubuntu Mate, I tried the latest desktop I386 iso in a VM, and I was able to start Orca during install.

But after entering a username, choosing no password and autologin, I completed the installation, restarted the VM and there was no speech.

So be warned  that Ubuntu Mate may not be fully accessible and is only suitable for installation in a noncritical environment.

Vinux is old, but it works and there is no annoying lack of speech in certain administrative prompts.

m

2015-03-21 17:36:51

Hello everybody!
What is the most accessible interface, unity or gnome?
I have the official Ubuntu running with unity and'm downloading ubuntu gnome, then I would know the more affordable version.

2015-03-22 20:20:42

Diego, at this point in time Gnome is the more accessible graphical environment for an Orca user. Preferably Gnome 3.14, but Gnome 3.12, which I think ships with the current version of Ubuntu-Gnome, is more than functionally accessible for an average user.

Gellman, on the contrary Ubuntu-Mate is accessible but it sounds like there was a configuration problem or perhaps the virtual machine caused sound problems etc. Whatever the reason it sounds to me like a bad install of Ubuntu-Mate rather than any specific problem with the distribution in question. I've used Ubuntu-Mate with Orca in the past with only minor accessibility issues. Mostly access issues regarding panels and finding certain launchers on the desktop. However, there are workarounds for those problems.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-03-23 20:34:26

Hello everybody!
The gnome 3:14 lets you know the battery level in the main distribution of ubuntu?

2015-03-25 12:23:10

Hi, i've used ubuntu mate no problems accept for the previously mentioned accessibility problems. Its a nice alternitive to gnome, speshily since if I remember correctly, the gnome-session-fallback which used to be installable with older versions of gnome 3 had a less functional panel. I intend at somepoint to give ubuntu another go around once I can actually boot it, but currently i'm running a vmware version of ubuntu mate and it works fine for me no problems.

2015-03-26 08:57:26

@tward

You  are saying that Ubuntu Mate is accessible, but does it mean that all stages of the installation from the live cd is accessible out of the box, and that you get speech even when prompted to login the first time?

I have configured a username, autologin and restarted the vm, but I get no speech.

m

2015-03-27 00:45:28

Gellman, all stages of the Ubuntu-Mate installation were accessible. However, when the login comes up I have to launch Orca separately. I want to say it is the alt+super+s keyboard command. In any case Orca didn't come up by default, but could be launched with a quick and easy keyboard command.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-03-29 21:36:15

Greettings all!

Although Chrome OS is based on Gentuu, it use to be based on Ubuntu within its early days.
Al-Win-S, a toggle, is how to turn on/off the Orca screen reader in later versions.
Also, I read on Facebook, that GNOME version 3.16, is now out!

2015-04-23 16:34:27

Hello everybody!
Sorry for asking this again, but I need to connect to Wi- Fi with the orca.
One would send the steps of what to do for the next wifi networks and connect?
I have ubuntu 14:10 officer.

2015-04-23 19:01:15

Diego, assuming you are on the Unity desktop press alt+f10 to get to the top panel. Arrow over to the network connections menu, and arrow down to the network connections listed in that menu. Once you find the one you want press enter on it and hopefully it will connect.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-04-23 20:11:56

Hello everybody!
Thomas, when I press alt f10 and navigate to the connections, what appears is the Wifi option on or off, edit connections and another option that I do not remember now, but the networks do not appear in this list.
What can I do?

2015-04-24 13:38:06

but Vinux 5 supports 3 desktop emvironments: Gnome, Mate and Unity