2015-02-28 23:51:05

hi,
I'd like to learn Korean so please can you send me a link to a website to learn it?
Thanks

2015-03-01 03:55:15

I would love it too.

2015-03-01 19:01:42

I tried koreanclass101.com, but the site has changed much since I first went there. I also found it difficult to keep up with vocabulary due to not having any idea how to map the sounds to letters (so many vowels! eo / ou / o / eou / oo / u / eu / a / ae / e / ee / ea / i and I have no idea what half of those sound like and I can handle Mandarin just fine! It might also hurt that I have no idea where my brailler got to and don't have any index cards... making physical note cards helped a ton with Japanese vocabulary.).

I think the end result is that I know more Spanish than Korean... and I've never tried to learn Spanish. El sombrero de perdidos cae por mi! Except that came out as "The hat falls lost my!", which is considerably more nonsensical than I intended.

*Ahem*

Is koreanclass still any good?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-03-01 19:10:21

Koreanclass is still good. and why would you have to map letters when you can just use a Korean tts engine? lol VW and realspeak both have Korean voices. The reason you probably find the vowels so daunting is that, as you said... you don't know what they sound like... and they're much easier than anything in Mandarin. If I wasn't born a native Mandarin speaker, that'd be the one language I would never learn... lol.

Two sites which may help.
www.koreanclass101.com
and, my personal preference.
www.talktomeinkorean.com

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-03-01 19:45:48

lol Assault{freak beat me to the revealing of TalkToMeInKorean. This is indeed a great web site, started by a former co-host of the KoreanClass101 podcast. As for KoreanClass itself, or rather, InnovativeLanguage in general, you can always go to the mobile equivalent of their websites by prepending the word mobile to an existing language learning site URL. Actually, it's simply a subdomain identifier. Also, if you haven't already, I recommend you listen to my podcast on the InnovativeLanguage application for the IOS platform. You can find that here. Cae_jones, not sure if you've learned how to read Romanized Korean, but in my personal opinion, that makes things a lot easier as far as pronunciation is concerned. Actually, Hangul is probably the better method of reading and writing in the long run. Just don't go off learning Hanja. lol

2015-03-01 20:16:17

Hanja kills everyone... but Cae has had experience learning Japanese, so chinese characters might not be so bad... of course the huge help is that Korean rarely ever uses Hanja anymore at all unless it's a very formal document and unless you're writing your name on a formal paper. But I don't think I've ever seen hanja on a website or facebook stasuses, or in casual writing in general.

2015-06-11 22:44:11

Hi people!
I also love to learn a korean. For beginning, I use a Book2 from Goetheverlag company to start.
But, Hangul is very interrested by my self. Hanja is little difficult.
But, I have a question. How Korean people writes in braille?

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2015-06-12 13:49:46

Koreans read braille the same way everyone else does. the symbols just mean different things that corespond to each letter of the hangul alphabet... I just don't have any good resources for learning it.

2015-06-12 15:11:14

There are probably braille tables out there, but I imagine they use the unicode symbols for braille (which most screen readers can't read, because of course they can't). Has anyone made, say, an NVDA addon that can interpret unicode braille?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-06-15 17:37:45

Hi,

Interestingly enough, yes, the Braille symbols are Unicode, especially in this article. However, if you have access to a Braille display, given a screen-reader, the Braille symbols are properly rendered on the device, with the exception obviously being that, NVDA, for example, doesn't know how to read them using a speech synthesizer. Same goes for ASCII. I'm working on a little something that will allow the NVDA's speech engines to parse such symbols and read them according to their Braille equivalents. But this is only a personal project though. lol A quick, but rather tedious solution, of course, is to create speech dictionary entries for each symbol individually.

2015-06-15 18:32:38

Well, any good SAPI korean tts will do. I have both the neospeech and nuance korean voices, though both are okay at best... but they do the job, and they're the same quality as the other voices. they read Korean, and NVDA will even read you the individual character in the korean syllabic block using a word that starts with that particular hangul letter. coupled with a braille display, I've been able to learn at least a little.