2015-02-27 20:09:48

Hi!
I have this question, because I noticed some articles. In this articles was, that Spanish is easy and Slovak is difficult.
But It was maybe morphological analysis and ofcourse, phonological. Of Slovak, yes, grammar is difficult. I am from Slovakia.
But now, I have a question.
What language is easy to learn?
I'll glad to your answers.
My opinions is as follows:
Maybe hibrid languages are not difficults, or pidgins, and creoles. For example English language was created of Anglosaxon, Old Norse and lastly, normand French. And also, French from Vulgar Latin, Celtic languages and germanic Frankish language. Also, Italian was developed from Latin.
Due to that, try present a Jamaican, or another creols, which are better, as pidgin and looks to grammar. Or, Iyaric in Jamaica, which is kind of dialect.
But, what are Your opinions?

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2015-02-28 00:54:15

That's a very difficult question because the answer depends so much on the person. For example, I find Japanese and Korean morphology, phonology and grammar to be pretty straightforward or simple, and much of it makes sense in my head. Many, many people say that they feel like Japanese and Korean are two very difficult languages to learn... I think it's very dependent on your background and what you are used to. If you speak English as a native language, all the rlmance languages EG: French, Spanish, Portuguese, etc... will be easier to learn, because of a great deal of resemblance in grammar as well as vocabulary cognates that sound similar or in some cases almost exactly the same. I would find it interesting to try and learn slovakian, but I don't even know the general grammar structure of slovak languages and what they're like, so I might find it a little difficult to get into at first. German also was difficult for me when I tried for a few months, but Japanese and Korean, while starting as a little difficult, became very easy and are now I would say two easier languages to learn. But it's all personal, of course. And I think this particular subject is very much that, subjective and everyone will have different answers. Fascinating discussion, though.

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-03-01 10:12:56

Hello,
I’m a student at the school of foreign languages which attends lessons in my city. There are four languages available, certainly combined, like English+Italian, English+German, and English+French. So In the second grade also the third language is added, and I study English+Italian+German. To be honest, as it’s stated above, it depends on the person and the country as well. For example, I’m an Albanian. Here in the past, during the years 1925 to 1939, we were influenced by Italian culture. This situation went on for years and during the communist regime many people used to illegally listen to Italian radios and many seniors may speak Italian a little nowadays. After the communist regime many people migrated to Italy, and the influence became more distinguish. There was a period during 1999 to 2003 or 2005 when people used to listen so much to Italian music and watch Italian films. Also our language contains many Italian words, and it appears easy to many people to learn Italian here. But I myself find difficult learning French and German because they didn’t have any impact here and the grammar is a bit different. Honestly, when I first started to learn French, I got headache and I left the course.
Then there’s English. English in my opinion is good for those people who are able to memorize so much, and for those who love it. I’m one of them and I have to say that the grammar is easy, there aren’t so much tenses like in Italian. But there is an endless number of Idioms and phrasal verbs and it is supposed that a large number of words to have two or more synonyms. So here’s where the difficulty begins. I think English is great for first levels, but when you study upper ones, the work doubles.

2015-03-01 17:32:56

the most eazy language is Interlingua,
For more imformation about this language, I can post this link. It's from wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlingua

Luis Carlos Gonzáles Moráles, from Panama!

2015-05-02 16:19:35

Hello there,
I stumbled upon this thread earlier, but didn't have the time to answer. So I'm bringing this up again out of the depth.
I have to agree that German is a kind of more difficult language. But currently I am in a Latin course for a couple of years now, and I must say that it's more difficult, especially because of the ending-letters of a word. Because the ending of the word declares the tence, singular/plural, the person, etc.

In my opinion, Nederlands is echt makkelijk to leeren voor mij (Dutch is really easy to learn for me).
If you want to see what learning Dutch is like, you might check out http://www.taalthuis.com and find out yourself how difficult or easy it is for you.
Many Dutch people also speak English and German pretty good, which is quite impressive! And many eastern-Europeans I met could express themselves in German pretty good, especially those from Czeck Republic, Slovakia and Poland.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2015-05-02 19:48:11

Hi all. I think that we can not put a label on a langoage or other. What can I say, is that the easiest langoage, is the langoage that you like and langoage that are you speaking. In my opinion, it is easy for me English but others can say that I am wrong.

2015-05-02 21:55:54

Yes, shurely.
Because if somebody compares a language, It must be compared from grammar, phonology, or orthography. There are various methods I notice. This article was only by grammar side of languages.
But yes, Latin is difficult. But new languages are easier, tham Latin, for example those, which was created from Latin: Italian, Spanish, or Romanian.

2015-05-03 03:06:24

including interlingua, it's a constructed language similar from spanish.

2015-05-03 03:11:56

I don't recall this thread, I must've missed it first time around.

@Afrim, interesting stuff, I didn't know that about the language in albania.
@Arabic, the problem with those created universal language thingies, like esperanto is practically nobody actually speaks them accept in dedicated communities. Esperanto has gone out of fashion I think precisely for that reason, in that back in the ninenties it was just a sort of status symbol more than a practical language and a way for people to prove how modern and cultured they were (there's fun made of this in the British scifi comedy tv and book series Red Dwarf).

Anyway, to an extent the arguement of language similarity based on similar origin, grammar etc seems vaguely true, a Dutch friend of mine did tell me she found English easy and said it was because it was linguistically closest to dutch (though whether this is true or just her opinion I'm not sure). however also I agree with Assault freak, things are often highly individual. If you have like my brothered watched a lot of subtitled Japanese things, you will naturally absorb some of the language, just as you would if you say lived in a place where more than one language was spoken, I have a cousin who's wife is Estonian and their sun who was about four when I last saw him spoke English and Russian pretty equally and switched between the two quite casually.

Despite the supposed French influence on English, I found, and in fact still find French a horribly difficult language, both in it's pronunciation and emphasis, and in it's down right crazy spelling! Indeed it is quite odd, I came back from a week in Austria speaking actually quite a bit of German, just from learning how to order food in restaurants, buy things in shops and say I was from England, (the majority of the Austrians where I was spoke   extremely good English but I did appreciate learning the language).

I also came back from Griece when I was a teenager knowing a few words of modern Griek, particularly because the Grieks seemed to appreciate the fact that I'd made an effort, but I've not once learnt any French despite going to France several times and despite whilst in France people often seem to understand English but do not actually speak it, ---- not sure why this is, or even if it is all of France or just the bits I saw, though it's a fairly common experience that people I know who have been to France have had. One French chap I met who I discussed this with, (he was a Doctor of Archaeology), actually said the French education system was so theoretical, that people in France who learnt English actually never got any chance to practice it at school, they were just first presented with the grammer and word list. I don't know if this is true, or if any of our French members could confirm it but it was an interesting thought.

Apart from French though, I did spanish at school which I found not too hard, the concepts with the different tenses were not difficult for me to understand albeit that I was learning in secondary school so the pace was slower, and have been learning conversational Italian which again I find relatively easy, basically so that i am a more effective singer in the language, although it's structure is far less rigid than spanish and remembering all those irregular verds is a pest  (in Spanish it always seemed far easier to just learn the rules annd apply them), particularly sinse I don't unfortunately italian on a frequent bases.
I could probably make myself understood, and cope if I had to order in a restaurant, go shopping, do the touristy things, and according to people I've sung or spoken to mmy pronunciation  is fairly convincinn, but I don't find myself completely natural in the languaage or able to   converse without extensive pauses and rememberings by me of what word or  tense applies, though according to my teacher I've not done too badly.

What I particularly like is that given that my teacher is from genoa, I learn a lot of the culture and about life as well as language, plus she gives me the most amazing Italian imported coffee! big_smile.

What I did find interesting is that when my parents, and to an extent I first met my teacher we believed her to be a slightly abrupt rather commanding lady because of the way she spoke. she would say things like "You come on wednesday", or "Go and sit down and I will make the coffee"

These sound almost rude in English, given that in English we'd usually phraise such things as requests, or add the word please to be polite, eg, "come back on wednesday please" or "If you sit down I will bring you some coffee" and originally we assumed my teacher was a rather foreceful lady. Funnily enough though, it turned out as I got to know her that is not the case at all, and when I learnt the Italian it turns out Italians have a very different method of Politeness, don't use please casually, and indeed to actually give! orders would need a totally different imperative tense, something which doesn't exist in English.

Even   though my teacher has for the  last 40 or so years beenmarried to an Englishman, and obviously lived over here, she still has sort of an Italian manner of speech which as I said gave the wrong impression of her personality in a slightly different cultural context which I found quite interesting.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-04 11:53:38

Well, I think in some cases, the Dutch pronounciation is kind of close to the English one, because the Dutch language also has the rolled r you would use in English. But as far as I found out, Dutch people only roll the r if it is located at the end of a word, elkaar, for instance. But there are some words, like hartelijk, where the r is been rolled as well.
But I can't really tell when you have to roll the r and when you don't.
I find Dutch pretty easy to learn, although I am learning on an English-based platform, because if you put German and English together, there are a lot of simmilarities, especially in German.
Let's take the word for to drink: In German you say "trinken", in Dutch you say "drinken".
An English example would be self ("zelf" in Dutch).
I personally like Dutch and I learn it because for me, the language sounds echt moei, vriendelijk en gezellig, really nice, friendly and gregarious or to again show the simmilarity to German, echt schön, freundlich und gesellig. I also have some Dutch speaking friends, which has a kind of interesting influence on me, because by listening to their Dutch conversations, especially if they speak slow and clear, I learned how to express myself and a bit how the grammar works. So, thanks for that actually! big_smile
For now, learning Dutch currently is a free-time-project, but I might try to attend a course or something in the future, shouldn't I already learned a lot of things on Taalthuis.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2015-05-04 12:29:20

@Paddy, unfortunately I've not heard much spoken Dutch, which is somewhat ironic given that I've technically been working voluntarily for a Dutch organization for the last eight years, sinse Sander and Richard are Dutch and the game accessibility Special interest group is based in Holland.

With German I found the basic conversational bits not too hard to understand, though as I said I mostly just picked it up as I went along, but trying to sing in German I find difficult sinse poetry obviously is a very different beast, plus when singing your pronunciation needs to be extremely clear, and some of the German gutterals and vowel sounds I found very hard to get my tongue around.

With the rolled r, it is not the norm in English at all the way it would be in Spanish or Italian, and indeed it always gets up my nose when you hear singers singing English songs with a rolled r and over emphasized, artificial diction.  A miner rolled r (though far less than in something like Spanish), is occasionally used by people who consider themselves upper class or at least are attempting to sound that way, but mostly you'd be thought pretty pretentious for trying it and it's largely fallen out of fashion, even for people who do speak good English.

There are of course some Scotish accents where a rolled r, even an extreme rolled r is fairly  natural,  Silvester Mccoy has made it something of his trade mark, or I should say his trarararararade mark big_smile.(btw, hope that came out in whatever screen reader your using. Though as I said for British English unless you were specifically trying to speak like the queen it's not generally used anymore.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-04 17:43:00 (edited by afrim 2015-05-04 17:44:50)

Also, don't know if it's been stated or not, another important thing that we should keep in mind, is that we must find ourselves interested in learning the language we are ordered or our school offers. But this feeling comes by learning more and more things from that language.

I find English the easiest language so far, although it might not be that one, but it doesn't have so much verb tenses and the grammar is not difficult to be obtained.

French for me is still the most difficult language to learn, I wouldn't try to learn it even though everything would have been free, it just frustrates me. I find it even further difficult than Ecuasions in Math or some theories in physics.
I am a lover of British English and I don't like when some bands from London, Manchester and other places in England try to sing in an American accent, although it has become an "international" singing language for most of the artists nowadays.
Something I don't like about the American accent is that In American, in some words, the O  is pronounced "A", or E+A "E".
And That R, in British English, which is not pronounced in the end of the word sounds great. +The clear "T" is amazing.

2015-05-04 19:51:06

Yes, I agree.
But, I know, what languages are very easy to learn.
When You wrote about British English, I remembered to, for example Patwa in Jamaica, which is creole of Jamaica and this caribbean English have some features of British languages too.
So, I must say, that creoles, or pidgins are very easy to learn.
And if some people know about It, those languages were created from another languages. This is a great examples, how a new languages are created.
Also, do You heard about Esperanto? This is a great example, because there are many words from Romance languages and romance languages were created from Latin. There are many constructed languages to communicate with anothers, for example Neoslavic.
I wrote about It, because I am from Slovakia and every people from Slavic nations, such as Croatians and Russians can understand of this language, because there are many words from Polish, Czech, Russian, Croatian, Bulgarian and many languages.

2015-05-04 23:14:37

@geovani,  I had not heard of neo slavic before, but as I said I don't really see much point in Esperanto, sinse though your correct it contains many words that speakers of English, french, Italian and spanish will understand, a native speaker of any of those languages will still have to learn esperanto to communicate in it. the theoretical advantage was supposed to be that Esperanto was an easier language to learn, however the problem is that nobody actually speaks it, you can't go to Esperantoland and make yourself understood big_smile.

Indeed, esperanto is somewhat different from fictional languages like Elvish and Klingon, sinse there are fictional historical materials and myths in those languages to study, but the main practical advantage to learning esperanto is pretty much just that you know esperanto, which is why as I said it became something of a status symbol and a joke in the Uk.

I'm not sure what you mean about "pidgin languages" generally speaking the term "Pidgin English" is a rather old fashioned term for those who spoke a very limited, often broken form of English, usually as a secondary language, indeed it's a quite derogatory term as far as I've heard it used, and so it wouldn't say be used to describe legitimate dialects or hybrid languages like Criole.

@Afrim, I agree on french being difficult and also that you must have a reason to learn a language, I don't think i'd want to learn one out of the blue, as I said Italian I am learning just for singing purposes.

The O sound in british as opposed to american english is pronounced entirely differently, with the lips coming forward rather than staying back as occurs in American English, indeed I will confess there is someone on the audeasy list who keeps getting on my nurves complaining that he can't tell the difference between an o and a lengthened a when spoken unless the a has a pronounced r.

Of course there are several very distinct regional accents in Britain, but the distinct backwards o is fairly universal, although in some regions other vowel sounds can get confused, Jordies up here in the northeast for example have a habbit of pronouncing I sounds as ay sounds, so time sounds like tame.

of course this is the point of the clarity of what is somettimes called oxford english or recieved pronunciation.

With music however, it depends heavily on style. most pop music does indeed for some reason always employ an american accent (though there is some that doesn't), but a lot of musical theatre or light opera or even commic songs don't.

It does rather annoy me if someone attempts to sing a song in the wrong accent  or style, and indeed I'd find it equally irritating if a singer attempted an american song with a british accent (still worse, a rather artificial singer's accent), as I would if an American singer started singing an english song in their native accent. this is why if I were singing something like why god why from miss saigon I'd always employ an american accent, but if I'm doing something like Gilbert and sullivan I'd always use my natural English.

Then of course, there are songs which are fairly interchangeable too, such as a lot of Les Miserables (given that the characters are french but the songs are in English).

All that being said, one thing I will say is that clear singing diction has nothing to do with accent so much as it is to do with breath control, using your lips and tongue and nasal resonance properproperly, and of course being %100 clear on what your doing. sadly, this is where a lot of pop singers fall short, not their accents, but their technique.

2015-05-05 18:44:06

Hello,
As far as I know, Spanish and French are easy to learn, and this is certainly the same thing with the English language, Arabic is one of the difficult language as I know, but it's my native language, so I personally fluent in it and English, and these are the only languages I know, in addition to some words and sentences and conversation methods in some different languages.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2015-05-05 21:03:52

This post might be  a bit off topic, but as we are already discussing different English accents, here it goes.
First of all I really do like Brian Johnsons accent. He's the man who sings in AC/DC. When I googled his accent, I read from a forum that he's got the Jordy accent, but hopefully Dark can confirm or falsify it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZl9CHPuzXk

Then there's the rolling r thing. One of my favourit examples is Ramachandran. I guess one of the reasons is that this kind of r suits very well with this kind of huge voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl2LwnaUA-k

Regards

2015-05-05 21:16:43

Yes, ofcourse.
But, also french orthography is difficult and grammar is easy.
Orthography is writing.

2015-05-05 21:38:24

@Rdf, I don't think I'd heard Brian Johnson speak before, though that is certainly a Jordy accent albeit a rather mild one, quite often people from other parts of the country end up getting completely lost, and really if you went to the center of Newcastle there are times you'd think people weren't speaking English, ---- at least until your used to it.

Interestingly enough though, it's not an accent that transfers at all. Despite living up hear in Durham and hearing that accent every day, I've never picked it up even in the slightest, indeed a friend of mine who's wife is  Jordy is the same. Similarly, as you heard with brian Johnson, it's a very stubborn accent, sinse though it gets less, it never goes completely. Sometimes my mum will run into someone somewhere else and say "oh your from Newcastle or Durham aren't you!" big_smile.

It's not an accent you heard

As to the rolling r's, I would guess Ramachandran is Indian? It's quite common when indians speak English I've noticed. I don't know if it's because we associate it often with large stage acting like shakespear, but I will agree on drama in the rolled r's, although I do  tend to find if the voice is too forward as is the case with a lot of upper class (or trying to be upper class), english accents it can sound more pretencious than dramatic, though that might well just be personal opinion and I freely admit having had a very irritating teacher at special school who's favourite phrase was "it is the rarrarrarrarrules" probably didn't give me the best impression of the practice big_smile.

2015-05-05 22:21:13

Yes, as the name and r suggests, he's Indian.

2015-05-06 20:19:46

And also, rolled r, It is in scottish or no?

2015-05-06 22:31:27

Sometimes. It depends upon the region of scotland and how thick the person's accent is, in people like Silvesta mccoy as I said the  rolled r is very pronounced, but at other times you don't hear much of it.

2015-05-07 16:25:54

I like two British accents. The first is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1XRPWOOwZg

Here's Daniel speaking, but in his natural voice as a presenter.
Then there's another one I like, this one a little more exagirated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BaPQb3pYKk

If you are not lazy to watch a funny video I found by chance, don't hesitate to click enter on it.
There are some British accents talking to Siri of iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwYP1M1qvJo