2015-02-18 17:17:40

Hey guys,
I don't know if this is in the right room, but if it's not, mods just move it, please guys don't post 5 posts about it being in the wrong room. big_smile
read the following line carefully.

This. is. a. very. very. early. alpha.
The reason I emphasize this so much is that all this has is a file and edit menu, but read on.

It's something I programmed inside of an hour yesterday because I was really bored, and have recently been creating small programs to practice my purebasic skills. Here's what this one can do.
-it can open, create, and save files. note that to open a file you'd have to first run the program and then press control o to select the file. Like I said, early Alpha...
-an edit menu with some very basic options. Cut, copy, paste, undo. Again, early alpha.
Are you uninterested? well this might change your mind.
-autosaving. Insures no work is ever lost. If you haven't yet saved your file (you just opened the app and began typing), all your work is saved to a temporary autosave.txt file which is located in the main program directory. As soon as you save this file, the autosave will be deleted.
The reason the autosave is here is so that if your computer were to shutdown unexpectedly, you'd have your work saved. Please note, however, that temporary means temporary. For now, since this is just an alpha, it deletes the autosave and replaces it with a new one as soon as you open the application. I plan to make it prompt you before it does this though in the next update.
-even if you open an existing file, or have already saved your document to something other than autosave, the autosaving feature is still active. Thist time, however, the changes made to your file are autosaved to the actual file you're working on. for example if you're working on changelog.txt, all autosaves will be saved in changelog.txt.

So I know it isn't a lot, and it probably will get like 2 downloads at most. But hey. it was just a little practice toy, so it wouldn't bother me.
Anyways, here you go.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/492 … remake.zip
Provided any of you actually decide this thing is worth downloading, I'd appreciate bug reports. But if you don't download, I'll understand. big_smile

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-02-18 21:16:07

Hi, what about adding a read only mode. so, say you are reading a book and you don't want to type in that document, any key press such as letters and numbers get ignored.

2015-02-18 23:14:59

Um yeah that would be possible, the read only mode I mean. But you couldn't really use that to read books; I haven't the slightest idea how to code something like, say, fs reader if that's what you mean.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-02-19 04:24:04

sound's awesome which I need to check that one out. downloading now.

2015-02-19 04:31:01

No, I meant reading large text files! Files such as Harry Potter fan fiction books or things like that.

2015-02-19 05:58:43

Update:
Now there's a word count feature.
Now, if there's an existing autosave, the program asks you if you'd like to recover that. if you hit yes it recovers but hitting no will just make a new document of course. Use link in first post.

At Sean-Terry ah I see. but still there's kind of no point--unless the read only mode let you jump chapter by chapter, page by page or something... I guess. In that case I'd look into it, but that would be a separate program all together, not this small little notepad thing.

2015-02-19 18:57:55

I think I'd be nice to have a wordprocessor on the aomputer with markdown support or something like that.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-02-19 19:20:22

What's markdown? I'm not really sure about that.

I hope I can add a spell checker. that's my first goal. It already has word and line count, both are useful features. I hope to make it possible to edit ritch text documents, though this will likely be a more daunting feet.

2015-02-20 17:11:24

Hi, add marker support. For example, we're reading a book, we focus the currsor on where we left, press a key, nad that makrs that document, saving the character number we have stopped in a text file. Then we could hit a key when we return and find ourselves in where we left at.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-02-20 23:22:32

Yeah, like book marks. So you are reading the afore mentioned Harry Potter Fanfaiction book and you want to set a bookmark in the book because you may need to restart your computer for automatic windows updates. you can find the book you were reading and then use the bookmark search command and search for the bookmark you left off at and begin reading from there. I hope this made since.

2015-02-20 23:24:06

Exactly that. Since you have added the line and Word count, you can just retrieve what line the currsor was at and do the trick.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-02-21 22:07:28

Hi man. Just will try it out, as it'll be awesome, exactly like you are. Hoping to meet you again!

2015-02-22 03:45:16

There's quite a few features from EdSharp that I wouldn't mind using in a word processor.

converting one format to another, you could probably use the api from cloudconvert.com for that.

And my favourite feature from EdSharp is being able to select text by using markers.

In EdSharp you just find the starting point of the text you want to select, hit f 8, then find the end point of the text, I usually just use the find function, then hit shift f 8.

This program sounds like a slimmed down version of EdSharp, only hopefully a lot more snappier.

If you want to get an idea of what a now discontinued word processor can do, I'll post the link below.

I'm surprised it's still around.

Unfortunately, it is sluggish with larger documents.

http://www.EmpowermentZone.com/edsetup.exe

2015-02-22 19:00:36

Hi,
Gonna download it man, I'd really like to try it.
Regards

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2015-02-25 03:16:13

Hmm yeah I will try to add these features or most of them anyway. It would be pretty cool if you could code in this notepad as well... should I add support for any of those types?

2015-02-28 22:39:32

I'd like to see find and replace features. So far I think it's cool.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-02-28 23:01:56

this certainly looks fantastic

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2015-02-28 23:29:33

Yup I've been using it for things like school work and my racing game documentation seems to be working well... unlike the previous version xd.
big_smile