2008-04-10 16:22:19

yeah, I like the unlockable planes & weapons, but don't you think that on foot stuff is a little too much

Connor

2008-04-10 17:53:30

I agree it would be getting a little bit too ambitious, and might just overcomplicate things.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-11 13:52:59

Hmm, I don't think it's too much. Think about GTA. You can walk, drive and fly, so I don't think it's too much. It's just 3 different ways to come from place to place in the game.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-04-12 13:44:02

Sounds great. I look forword to hear some gameplays.
It would be great if there is a lot of things to unlock, and it shouldn't be easy. There could maybee be a lot of weapons and maybee planes you could unlock if you got enough points.

While there is definitely room for experimentation in terms of unlockables and weaponry, we are at the same time sticking to the realistic layout of most fighter aircrafts, namely about two to three different weapons. The unlockables will give you more tonnage to store more weapons viz. ten missiles versus five, to give a rough estimate, and will allow you to gain some skills while dealing with flaws in the aircraft at the same time. For instance, the F22 aircraft may be maneuverable which will help when dogfighting another craft or staying away from SAMs, but the F29 will give you more speed and thus lessen your occasions of running on after burners. I am not permitted at this time to release details of the unlockables in terms of how they will be done, but this information will be made available closer to release.

If you want to make some great adventure in this game, it would be awesome if you are able to go out of your plane and walk around with your carictor. If the game is going to be very big, it would be cool if you could upgrade your carictor with armour you find or purchase.

These are excellent suggestions, but remember that Three-D Velocity is meant to be an air-to-air combat simulation. I have played several games in the past where the developers go more for content and sacrifice quality, and that much content is overwhelming to the average gamer. We have very few bigtime gamers here, and most of us just want something to entertain us now and then. That's not to say that a small game which was worked on for maybe a month should be sold for $20.00 purely for the purposes of getting something out the door, but at the same time it shouldn't be so big where the player spends maybe two hours just reading the documentation before they even start playing the game. Aircraft simulations are a different style of games from the first person shooters, and slamming them both in to one program would complicate things, not necessarily from the programming perspective, since many algorithms can be easily scaled down to fit this type of game, but rather to the gamer with respect to keystrokes, methods, etc. It would be best if we left that up to people who design MOOs and MUDs--where the code base and (at the same time) the player interface are both built to handle these things viz. several MOOs have ground and air combat implemented--rather than reinventing the wheel. This way, those developers who venture to make MOOs and MUDs do not have to do a lot of ground work to get the interfaces going (The default MOO database comes with thread handling built in and ready to use, for instance,) and those of us who do have to do much of the ground work when we use a conventional language such as .NET or C can be satisfied when one perspective works flawlessly.
Munawar

2008-04-12 14:27:03

I'll also point out that a large part of GTA is about stealing cars, thus the game's name "grand theft auto". This requires that you be able to walk about.

However unlike GTA this game seems unlikely to have much of value on the ground, I mean what use is walking on the ground when everything is going up way in the air? And also given that the vast majority of aircraft aren't capable of landing rough, let alone landing in a small space...

If this game were about ground combat then I might see your point, but in an air based game I fail to see what would be gained.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-15 04:57:25

munawar wrote:

I will be setting up a mailing list soon.

The mailing list is now available. You can subscribe by visiting www.bpcprograms.com and following the instructions given on the main page.
Munawar

2008-04-15 13:01:13

good, I'll look forward to more info about the game.

Personally, while I'd love the adventure type elements, --- eg wandering around and perchissing armour etc, I think from the sound of things this is going to be a really detailed and realistic air combat sym, so Cx2's point holds true.

Besides, even in the military, and james bond aside, it's not usually the same people who flie the aircraft into combat zones who do the on ground fighting, ---- the two jobs are too specialized. Unless you played as some sort of team, which included both a pilot and a combat expert, and going to the ground you switched characters, I couldn't see how this would work, ---- and character switching could complicate things I think.

while I'm probably more than just a casual gamer, and so quite prepared to spend two hours reading documentation, I do agree with munawar that having a game with one aspect which has detailed content, is much better than having a game which has many, not so detailed aspects.

For a really nice example of the latter type, look at lords of the galaxy. Some really wonderful background sounds and interesting idea, but the minigames basically devolve into bog standard sterrio targiting or arcade, and the main game is horribly unbalanced. I enjoy the game, but sometimes I wish more attention had been put into it somewhere.

contrast it with something like Pipe2, pure arcade, but at least vaguely detailed and with some variety.

As for Gta, ---- well stealing and driving a car is much easier than stealing and piloting an aircraft, and much more easily handled in the same interface.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-15 16:21:29

yeah I am leaning towards just keeping it as a flight simulator

Connor