2008-04-10 02:38:44

I like to play audio games and listen to music, so I'm looking for a good noise cancellation or noise isolation headset or some thing that would do as good. I went to walmart and picked up two pare of noise caselation headset and they both had shorts within a short period of time. I don't want long cables on them, but I want good sound. I will probaly use them on the road and I'm looking within the $30 range  or close to that. The last two were around $30 and good sound, but they came with  long cables. What I mean by cable is that wire going from the headset to the audiosource. I'm not looking to pay over $50 or $60 and I conceter the $30 range to be about right.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-10 10:06:45

well, there are two routes you can go.

One is forgetting the headset idea and getting a pair of inner ear earphones (I'm going to be picking some up soon sinse I'm buying a new portable mp3 Cd player). these are about in the price range you'd want, cut out noise well, are very small and portable and reasonable quality.

the other alternative is propper headset earphones, but if you want good quality here you have to pay for it. In fairness, you can get some bloody good quality sound.

My sanheisar headphones really did cost a fortune, (and that was counting buying them in a sale), but the sound quality on them is absolutely fantastic! also, they've been going for 7 years now and are stil working fine. I've twice had to replace the cable, ---- but this hasn't been a huge problem at all.

Being large headphones, they cutout very well indeed. the downside though, is obviously the price which I'm guessing would be more than you'd be willing to pay. Also, you'd actually have to go to a hifi shop to buy such things sinse their not generally sold in usual highstreet places.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-10 15:48:45

How do you go about replaceing the cable on the last pare you menchonn. I'm for ibfo on the design too. I found that a 5 foot cable going to my source from the headset isn't helpful for my usege and saveing for a good design may be good in the long run.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-10 15:53:53

It's a nice unique thing about the sanheisar headphones I own, all the bits of them, ---- the cable, the headset, are replaceable at very litle cost, it's just a matter of pulling out the appropriate jackes or unclipping the phones from the headset. Again though, this is a really nice design feature of these headphones and one I'm really glad of. the cable is quite long as a standard length.

If your really thinking in terms of cable trouble, you might considder wireless headphones. I've got a pair that are fairly reasonable quality, and have an absolutely huuuuuge field on them.

to illustrate when I was in colidge my room was on the ground floor, I could be up on the 3rd floor and stil hear music through them connected to my computer.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-10 18:59:51

The reason I was thinking about the cable is do to the fact that might be using them with my IPod, laptop, or PM wile on the road and I really don't want to hear the road noise, but that might be a problem when my driver saids something about us getting close to my distanation. One thing thow, I don't want to hear the computer's fans when I'm by it. Let's see,  it has three maybe four fans in side anyway those do sound good by what you talk like.

DropBox Referral

2008-04-11 00:08:31

Hmmm, the only problem is the wireless ones require a power supply. You could either go with a pair of innner ear headphones which are designed to have a short cable length, learn the art of cable wrapping (something I did when taking my sanheisar ones around), or see if you can buy a set with replaceable bits and replace the long cable with a shorter one. I'd assume this is possible, ---- sinse I think my sanheisar cable is about 7 feet long, but i'm not sure sinse the length has never caused me trouble.

what I used to do with my portable Cd player was get a litle rectangular leather case which zipped up along the long face of the rectangle at the top like a tub of butter.

this way, I took out the headphones, but most of the wire stayed in the case along with the player, and I just needed to keep the case in my bag, or on my lap or wherever.

Sinse my new mp3 cd player has small inner ear headphones though, i'm not quite as worried about cable length at all.

Btw, if your wearing cut out headphones, you shouldn't hear the computer's fans or indeed much else (my parents had to always tap me on the shoulder to get my attention). I'm just wondering though, what's wrong with the sound of cmputer fans? Personally, I like the fan sound, if it's smooth and even I know my computer is working okay.

2008-04-11 01:11:23

The only problem with computer fans would be when you listening to a good book. When you stick your hand on my computer, you can feel the hum of the fans. I don't know if you know how that is, but the only thing louder is one of the fans you plug in to create air flow. If you want white noise, you can listen to my PC. I'll try to upload some audio. anyway those in ear things sound like what I'm looking for. How much are they?

DropBox Referral

2008-04-11 07:26:20

Hmmm that's odd. I've been using laptops for about 12 years now, and I've never heard the fan sound through the headphones. Yes, it's audible on it's own, but gets cut out like all other external noises when I'm wearing headphones.

Are you sure it's the fan's your hereing and not either static or speaker feedback?

The inner ear headphones over hear go from about twenty pounds to about 35 (my brother located a set of sanheisar ones for me for 35), ---- that's roughly about 38 to about 65 dollars I think, which might be slightly more than you were going to pay.

On the other hand, there are always sales and such, and things are cheaper in the states anyway so my pricing might well be off.

the only thing with inner ear headphones is you do have to get used to wearing them, sinse they go right down your ear hole. I've tried my brother's and they were fine, but I know people who found them really uncomfortable. If you can find someone with a pair it might be a good idea to try them first, ----- just make sure the person hasn't got an ear infection or you could really! be in trouble, lol!

2008-04-11 14:59:39 (edited by cw 2008-04-11 15:08:29)

It is my desktop that has all the fans, and the sound of the fans don't come threw the headset. Anyway, the tower of my desktop is setting on my desk right next to my screen because I have no where else to put it. The tower is over a foot tall and long. It is about 4 to 5 inches wide. The good thing is, I have 6 USB on it thow and the ear phone along with the mike jack are on the frunt. Try putting on a pair and terning on a fan right next to you. I guess the sound is a little closer to a fridge. I haven't tried the in ear ones yet. I only had   the around ear things and the on ear things. Oh yeh, I sometimes had those crapping ear buds that come with the IPod and DS30.

DropBox Referral