2008-04-03 19:35:56 (edited by cx2 2008-04-03 19:47:53)

Was just poking around the internet some today, when I found this pile of steaming cow dung.

Apparently the US senate has passed laws to phase out 802.11 wi fi by 2012 and sell the frequencies. Now it only requires the signature of the head idiot, George Bush junior. I know I'm not in the US, but what happens there has a definite impact on what is sold elsewhere so this is likely to be seriously detrimental to future developments. Wi fi networks have been used for a few years now quite happily and they're trying to regulate them at best, and make them illegal at worst with a fine in the tens of thousands of dollars for operating one.

What in the hell is going on over there? Good grief. I know there are several members here from the states, and I have no problems with individuals indeed I know several of you are likely to be using wi fi yourselves. I just wonder how someone can be so unbelievably stupid. You might as well declare you're going to phase out children's walkie talkies, which might happen, or remote control cars. This is going to do real harm to companies and individuals who genuinely find wi fi useful.

Repeat after me US Senate/Congress, "technology is our friend not our punch bag".

Edit:
Despite the date on it the place I found the link claims it isn't a joke. I'll run a couple quick search engine searches to verify still.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-03 20:06:43

Sorry to double post, cancel that. The blog I found the link on was usually reliable and was only just posted today, but I've been unable to verify this through other sources. If it was genuine I'm sure there would be more than one site reporting it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-03 20:09:29

It looks like a april fulls to me, but if it isn't, then the fulls have it coming.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-03 20:42:54

The fools have it coming? eh? What's wrong with wifi?

Personally i hope it's an april fools myself. any idea on the reasoning behind this Cx2 if it is true?

while it wouldn't surprise me, judging by government policy recently, if Wifi is believed to be in some way detrimental to security then I'd say it's deffinately in trouble from the us government.

I will say though that legislation against weerd things for random reasons seems much more the style of the Labour party over here, ---- afterall what sain person passes laws against hoodies?

while I'm not sure about the Us government being better at this, they do seem to have more of a game plan of some sort, ---- security and big business, ---- even if I personally disagree with that plan, at least it is! a plan.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-03 20:43:40

Yeah it would seem it is now. Unfortunately however it seemed very plausible from my perspective, I wouldn't have put it past them. As I said though I found the link on a usually reliable blog, seems he was fooled as much as me.

cx2
-----

2008-04-03 21:54:37

What I mean by full is sample. I the US gov tries to get red of wifi, then the people may have a word about it. I'm hoping thow it's a joke.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-04-03 23:01:39 (edited by cx2 2008-04-03 23:02:07)

It is indeed I think. However the thing that made it seem so plausible was the idea of them selling off the frequencies, like the digital switchover here with TV only on a larger and far more screwed up level.

Simple truth is a blog I check on sometimes posted this, and he got pulled in by this too. He believes this was an abuse of trust on the part of the author. I did hear about a site which put up a news article saying "disconnect your computers from the internet now!" for some made up reason, and companies actually did.

cx2
-----

2008-04-03 23:32:31

good god!
I hope its a hoax, I mean I love wifi
anyway, I thought just while we are on the topic
I know this is tuchy, but I am super curious, do any of you guys from those countries like the UK and Holand have friends or know people who dislike the US?
and why.
Oh Canada too.
And if someone on here that dislikes America, don't post, but if you do, I assure you I won't scold you, because then i would get in trouble.

Connor

2008-04-04 00:04:04

LOL. Wonder why we need to make the switch to digital for anyway. Are the govs and other people that dispoerit for freqs in that band? I'm weighting for something to back fire and I'm going to laugh when it happons. I'm not trying to put down my country, but somethings aren't needed. Also digital TV don't go as far as the other type, I wouldn't think.

DropBox Referral

2008-04-04 00:14:18

Actually it seems digital freeview in the UK has improved its coverage a lot, and has far more channels. I believe they want to sell the freqs for another generation of mobile phones. I think they just needed to set up the infrastructure which happened remarkably fast and effectively given how long they had to set up the analogue network.

As to hating the US, I actually despise the "current administration" but I understand the difference between a government and the people. I treat everyohne as an individual no matter how utterly stupid their elected government might be.

cx2
-----

2008-04-04 17:22:49

thank you CX2 I appreciate that you can seperate the government from the people, I have seen countless videos on youtuve who can not make that destinction
thank you guys from also not yelling at me from bringing that up.
I am not inlove with George, but I do think we need to be in Iraq and I do think that we need international support.
They need to understand the importance of what's going on in the Middle East.

Connor

2008-04-04 17:25:02

on thing I forgot, one thing I hate in politics is the partisan for political parties.
If I am not mistaken, George Washington said something in his last address which said that we shouldn't seperate ourselves from each other or something. (heard it from my older brother)
nevertheless, I do think that people should just think logicly and not let a political party break the flow of important idas, and making sensable decisions.

Connor

2008-04-04 17:52:25

I'm with Cx2 on this one, whatever my opinion of someone's government that doesn't change what I think about them, ---- in fact I personally would say of myself "i'm not British in the sense of belonging importantly to a country, it's just where I happen to be born and where I live at the moment"

I'd think of anyone else from any other country the same way. I don't want to get into politics here sinse I suspect I'll be disagreeing with people a lot.

I'm not sure about the George washington thing, but one thing I do know, ---- from having studdied philosophy for years, is that very few people are able to disagree reasonably without getting personal or overly imotional, --- I'm guilty of that on occasion myself. that's why I'm not discussing politics here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-04 20:23:31

Myself I don't claim to "believe" in a party, it is unwise to put yourself in a labelled slot I feel. I do think leaving Iraq now would be a mistake, but I also feel a little more caution before going in would have been wise. If you can't go in with the full backing of the UN and NATO you're making it more trouble than it is worth.

cx2
-----

2008-04-04 21:31:29

I agree completely CX2, but I guess it's too late now to say what we should have done right? Plus I am liberal about somethings, & conservative about others

Connor

2008-04-04 23:11:04

I'm one of those that trys to pick the lesser of the two evils if you get what I mean. If I think you will stand up for what I stand for, then I might vote for you, but I would exspect that you won't do everything you say. In short, broken prommesses are to much of a part of now days Polloticks To not exspect other wise. This is going to far isn't it?

DropBox Referral

2008-04-05 00:56:04

CW, I agree sadly that is too often the case today. Not that it was likely any different in the past, it is one of the flaws in a representative democracy. The only way around it would be to have referendums on every subject all the time, but then you have people who vote without considering today or who just don't care so this would make that even worse.

There is no "perfect" or "ideal" system. I've heard people say the best thing would be a benevolent dictatorship, but frankly the system still falls apart before long.

cx2
-----

2008-04-05 06:06:36

Cool thead here - I am not party particular. I'm a bit more of a democrate now a days. But it does not matter too much. Any one person does not set the pace for long if they can at all. The US is a Federal Republic and really a two party system. For a few years, it is a very controled Monocracy with plenty of oversight. Just my take. The Pres has lots of power, but he or (maybe she soon) better walk a very straight line. The economic ties with government and how that affects each of us in our daily lives and the choices we have that exist - exists in a tremendous under current of interest group activity at many levels. I suspect true policy making to impower the common man here is rare and usually involves judicial oversight.

Why digital, wifi et all? Bandwidth and money, risk and invesment, give man choices and make him think he has to choose - thus spend his money.

Man is to be protected, managed, and used it seems. Make him free enough to be of good use. Keep him on the treadmill for the most part it seems to me. LOL! Chaos ensues otherwise I suspect. Too many people.

Just for fun ... so you are a philosopher Dark? The age old question - if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? And how do you know one way or the other? One common answer is - does it really matter? Can't use that one.

Take stab at it guys. There is an answer. It has to deal with burden of proof ...

Sorry I have not done much on game programming, I am off on another tangient again.

Yo

2008-04-06 00:14:07

one thing that I think has no benefit to the average americans in this country is the politically bias media
I mean, back say in the 60's or around there, a lot of the news was sensored to keep morral up for conflicts and such (like in World War II)
but now instead of sensoring to keep morralle up, they seem to be doing the the opposite right?
my point being that I think the media should give me both sides to every story and then the next show or other part of the program should come
simple as that

Connor

2008-04-06 01:22:05

LOL. I know how that is. When will the press learn. Also, if you tern to the web for your news, then you have to know what is false and what isn't, like that wifi thing.

DropBox Referral

2008-04-06 15:56:41

yeah, that's why I kinda like newspapers, if you don't want to hear a story you just skip it, and you can listen or read the news that suits you (like the national section for me)

Connor

2008-04-08 21:07:15

The BBC here tend to be pretty good, the newspapers here in Britain I gather all have their own agendas and affiliations can't speak for the US ones. The news on some TV channels here like ITV is truly atrocious though, it is just utterly braindead.

cx2
-----

2008-04-08 23:04:42

oh I saw some youtube videos about reporters in Afghanistan from that station I think.

A big problem on the rise I feel:
The olympics is being held in Bashing (somebody post how to spell that) and it is very polluted.
On top of that, the Chinese had something to do with the thing in Darfor, plus that thing with the Tebetan munks that they are killing.

Many countries want to boycott the olympics for some or all of these reasons, but if the US wants to pull out, China has trillions of dollars in stocks in such invested in the USA.
Plus they own a lot of banks.
The point being, if we boycott the olympics, the Chinese could withdraw all their money causing the dollar to go through the roof.
Somebody tell me if there is something false about this story seeing as I heard a little bit from a friend of mine.
Plus have other countries boycotted the olympics yet?

Connor

2008-04-08 23:07:35

It would seem plausible, I've heard talk but nothing concrete. We won't know until it happens really.

From what I've heard China has a lot of potential, and a lot of people have a bright future to look forward to... If they're in the right parts of China and are young and keen to achieve.

cx2
-----