2008-04-01 22:42:50

Root is the name of the top level admin account. That's all. Normally people don't run as root most of the time, so they don't accidentally screw stuff up.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-02 00:12:45

Yeah. According to Mister Mulcahy, creating another account can lead to undesirable results, so unless you wanna screww it up badly...

Nope. If you damage the OS, you're screwwed! Well, a reflash might work, but it's confusing: does it restore the OS or just the factory defaults from a partition on the hard drive. Actually LevelStar offers console replacements, but for a fee. That's why I never use the console: no screw-ups for me.

2008-04-02 05:01:16

Oh, c'mon! Just don't type del C: or you will need the whole thing replaced! lol!

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-04-02 21:32:09

What 0on earth happened? My post got deleted and the topic was marked with new posts? Something strange going on.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-03 23:34:05

what happened?

Connor

2008-04-03 23:43:16

Big D, it's a little harder to do something like that with anything *nix, and to be honest I don't think you can "del" volumes under dos/windows either. I think the command you are looking for is `rm -R /*' or something like that.

Systems like Ubuntu use a program called sudo which oliviates the need to log in as root at all - whenever something important needs to take place the user just enters their password to go into superuser mode and install the software or remove modules/drivers or whatever.  Logging in as root is considered more trouble than it's worth. I think Levelstar is assuming those who would even consider using the console know what they're doing.

James