2015-01-26 19:46:28

hello, a number of times now I've seen People using .dat files to encrip their sounds. is there a program somewhere that can extract those? just curious about this.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2015-01-26 19:55:20

This depends a lot on what made the .dat file in the first place.  The long and the short of it is that .dat is one of the extensions you use as the file extension when you don't want to give that info out for free.  The long and the short of it is that you'll find these anywhere from PS2 to windows system directories, and and there's honestly no telling without some serious detective work or knowledge of what program it's for.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-01-26 20:34:24

Or to put it more simply, .dat isn't a file format it's just an abbreviation for data. People come up with various different ways of storing various kinds of data, which can sometimes include sounds, in a single file for whatever reason and use .dat to signify that it's a file that is required for the program in some way. .dat is just a catch all extension they use when the file doesn't fit with any existing file type.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2015-01-26 20:37:29

I second that. .dat is one of those file extensions which is not associated with a particular file format. It could be anything from a simple text file to some standard format like a .zip, but is probably a proprietary file format written for this particular program, and which absolutely no other program ever written will be able to handle.

In most cases, even if you could extract the individual sound files, you still couldn't use them, because they're encrypted. For example, Super Egg Hunt's .dat files can be extracted using BGT if you know how, but the sounds still can't be used in any way because they're encrypted. In these cases, if the developer really cares about the security of the sounds, the key needed to decrypt the sounds will be a carefully-guarded secret, and won't be obvious even in a memory dump of the active game program.

2015-01-27 17:19:28

Hi,
@Jaybird, your actually wrong about the key being not in a memory dump. If the programmer stored the key in a variable (or in a string with the function call) then someone with enough experience could retrieve the key from a memory dump. The only thing that missing, sadly, is exactly what they'd need: the debug symbols. Without that, your screwed, and not many people release debug versions of their software, and if they do, their really stupid and are basically screeming, "Hey! Come and debug my software! Get the source code for it and have fun!" With enough experience with debugging, someone can entirely recreate a program from it. GDB is 1 program which basically allows you to do it. Listing lines (while being a long process to do) can help you recreate an entire program if you have enough time and patients.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-01-27 17:57:50

Hello,
I wouldn't recommend trying to extract them. Sure, the sounds might be nice and all, but the developer who encripted them in the first place probably doesn't want you to get at them. One thing that annoys me though are when developers don't offer a two-way process for modding games. I could see an idea where the developer's main logo would always play at startup, but if the user wished they could mod some sounds. I like what pitermach did when he modded light cars, he kept lighttech's logo in then overlayed his afterwoods. I did a similar thing when I modded March Massacre, I made  version of Dragon App's logo but using some 8 bit stuff, a bit like mainstream game developers sometimes do. When they release a game, they might have characters or sounds in the logo that sound similar to the game. It doesn't happen any more very much, unfortunately, but it's always fun to hear when something like that happens.

2015-01-27 20:00:22

Ethin, he never said it wouldn't be in a memory dump, he said it wouldn't be obvious. That's pretty much the same thing you said when you were trying to correct him, it'll be there but you're unlikely to ever find it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2015-01-27 20:42:32

Hi, I think that's sad the moddability and customizability of the games have decreased.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-01-27 21:47:43

Short version:
If you can hear it, you can record it.

Trying to encrypt sound in an effort to prevent ripping is stupid.

There is software specially designed for capturing sound and video from other software.

If you can afford an external sound card, you can redirect your game to that audio device and record every bit of audio without your screen reader spoiling the process.

m

2015-01-28 00:10:29

@Gellman, this would be a very hellish process because you would need to find a way to basically edit out all the outside interference (ambience, speech, enemies, etc). Don't get me wrong, this is quite stupid to encrypt things. But actually recording each sound is going to be a nightmare that you'd ever attempt. Its just too difficult. It has been done, though.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-01-28 00:41:45

Yes, recording sounds from games might be hellish, but if you know audio editing you can record main menü music etc and cut it in a way that it would loop perfectly.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-01-28 01:20:24

@Ethin

Yes that's of course right, and I personally have no interest in capturing game sounds.

I just wanted to correct the assumption that sound can be encrypted in a way that can prevent it being captured.

Of course it can, but only if it is kept a secret.

I think if it was even remotely possible the RIAA could have eliminated all music piracy.

m

2015-01-28 18:23:49

The interference isn't an issue in most games where you can adjust BGM/ambience volume. A developer would need to actively fight sound piracy in just about every aspect of their sound design--never let a single sound play on its own, for instance, and that'd be a potential accessibility hazard since hearing favors serial data.
Another option would be DSP; never (or at least unpredictably) play the unmodified sound. Always throw in pitch-bending, echos, reverb, filters, etc.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-02-21 12:27:29

hello, I've found a program that seems to be able to extract sounds from .dat files. however i have no idea how to do this the Manual is not translated very well. Its called Dragon unpacker. I was on to something a Moment ago, but when extracting the sounds.dat file, it put a lot of .669 files in the Folder where I wanted them to be, and i couldn't open them with any of my installed programs.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2015-02-21 12:31:09 (edited by ogomez92 2015-02-21 12:31:33)

dragon unpacker is specific to a particular engine... smile

It won't work on run for your life or roadsplat. I think I'm using .dat as its extension...

Though I'm sure you can ask someone to help you extract the sounds from my games, come on I'll give you a prize if you do. Just don't try dragon unpacker please. It won't work.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2015-02-21 19:11:04 (edited by Ethin 2015-02-21 19:12:19)

@ogomez92, I've been able to extract the sounds from your games quite easily. It was no big deal on my end; just a few lines of BGT code and it works. Of course, the damn thing still has to run-time error at the end...
If you want, I could put the code up here. It only works on unencrypted pack files, though! (I wish I could use a line of code like
pack.get_original_key();
andi t would work, but sadly, that is not to be.)

My Github

2015-02-21 19:12:51

Yeah, the sounds from my previous games are not encrypted. Oh well. Go make a mod big_smile

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2015-02-21 22:00:29

I certainly could do that. Would you want me to?

My Github

2015-02-23 01:05:10

encryption of sounds in audio games should be punishable by spI just modded pigeon panic who's sounds are not encrypted. as far as l-works games go, the last game to have unencrypted sounds was duck hunt.
by the way, where can I find pitermach's light cars mod?

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2015-02-23 02:24:43

SP? What the hell is that?

My Github

2015-02-23 02:49:25

I meant spamming.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2015-02-23 19:33:56

Taken directly from the rules page:

4) Posting warez, cracks, serials or hacking tips is not allowed.

As a content contributor to games, I personally appreciate encryption, as more often than not, the only reason people want unencrypted games is so that they can reappropriate sounds for which they've no rights to. Fair point that some people really do just want to mod, but more often than not, people generally just want to rip the sounds off to use elsewhere.

I'm surprised that the moderators have let such a topic stand for so long, especially since several posts have been expressly about cracking the encryption of audio games which, yes, is a form of hacking.

Having spent money on multiple effects I've made for games, I find it very offensive when people freely reappropriate them elsewhere. Fair enough if they ask me for permission first, but usually the audio gamer community seems not to understand boundaries and proper respect, being perfectly ok to rip, circulate, and abuse created content as they so please.

While others are crying for a way to break encryption, I'm hoping someone out there is coming up with stronger encryption and watermarking technology for audio games.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2015-02-23 21:45:23 (edited by defender 2015-02-23 21:48:20)

Xoren, In my opinion, until you buy every last one of the  sounds that you use, or record them on your own, then your point is null and void, because even though you did some basic layering and, sometimes, some more advanced manipulation, which is admirable in and of it's self, you still didn't buy the equipment or take the time to set it up just right, go to multiple locations to find the best recording environment and sometimes even obtain permits to record there, and you didn't record multiple takes with different microphone positions and then edit and optomise the finished files in a studio while other people examined your work and made you discard parts of it that weren't good enough, which, to me, is the vastly harder part.

And while I'm not accusing you of anything because I don't know for sure, nor implying at all that you are the only one in this community that does that, I'm almost certain that you did not pay the thousands of dollars that would be required to obtain the libraries who's sounds you have used in several sound packs and audio games that I know of, especially considering that you have stated your self how sound design is a hobby for you and not a career.

The inability to make mods is silly but sometimes understandable, the inability to even see the sounds in free games that use open source and CC licensed sounds, or unlicensed comercial sounds from professional libraries, which to me is not a big deal from a legal standpoint, is how ever just a way to piss people off, and or practice the encryption capabilities of your language of choice, which I find completely unnecisary, but this is just what I've been able to find out from developers I know that do it.
If your using licensed comercial sounds, sounds you made on your own, etc, in a free or especially payed project, that's when I think encryption is appropriate and totally fare and warranted.

2015-02-23 22:00:13

Defender, I think I defined myself as a content contributor, not an independent sound recordist, sound redistributor, audio engineer, or anything tht might suggest I've gone out to record my own sounds. Nor have I ever pretended to do so, as well you know. May I ask when the last time you went to a site and asked for recording time and set up yoru own equipment was?

The sounds I have and use are rightfully mine, gathered from years and years of purchasing and saving. I won't justify that to you, since I think it irrelevant, but just because I have sounds that others stole, does not make my ownership illegal.

Also, my point was that this topic was freely discussing the reverse engineering and hacking of games. I'm amused that you felt it necessary to attack me on a completely unrelated subject.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2015-02-24 01:47:06 (edited by defender 2015-02-24 05:18:24)

I'm not attempting to attack you, and I don't think that this isn't related to the subject, either.

As to using sounds that other people stole and gave to you? As you said...
"more often than not, the only reason people want unencrypted games is so that they can reappropriate sounds for which they've no rights to".
Replace unencrypted games with unlicensed libraries, and I believe, my self, that it's the same thing.

If you really did buy all of those sounds you used, then why are you redistributing them, unencrypted, in Swamp and the GW2 soundpack, for instance?
If it's a big problem, than you may want to make sure that the game dev is willing to encrypt them before signing onto the project in the first place, considering that most licenses ask you to provide proper protection for the sounds that you use, lest they be stolen anyway.

If someone cracks the encryption on a game using licensed sounds that you've bought your self, then I totally agree with you that it's wrong, but I also would say that clearly, you need a better encryption scheme next time around as well, because if something can be messed with, it will be, and it's just the way of things, acceptable or no.

Either way, for the most part, I'm with you on this, with the exclusion that their really needs to be a separation between what's appropriate and what's not when it comes to encrypting, as well as ripping, sounds, because their is no one way to see it from where I stand.