2014-11-28 17:58:37

Hello all
I have another stupid question for you all.
How do I get startd with programming moos.
Like How do I get started and what core should I use and the like

nvda is my life

2014-11-28 20:09:45

Hi, starting moos is no simpple process. Here's what I suggest. First, gather your ideas together and decide what you really want for your moo. Do you want it space baste, do you want it in the past, etc. Then that's when you can decide on the core. I say lambda core is your best bet.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2014-11-29 03:00:40

Yo,
As danny said, think up your ideas first. You can not start building and coding until you have thaught up the foundation and someo f the features of your MOO. I'd say maybe lambda core is the best place to start. I will give you one piece of friendly advice, don't use cosmos. It might seem like a cool core, but trust me, it is very, very, very buggy and you will not get many players on your MOO.

2014-11-29 03:46:47

I honestly disagree with the points stated above. If you can get a simple core, such as lambdamoo, then you can start looking at how it works. If your looking for actual programs to run them, there are a number of resources. I'd advise being familiar with a command line terminal before using one though.

Resources
http://lisdude.com/moo/

For a tutorial of actually using a moo db:
http://cmc.uib.no/moo/yib/

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-11-29 05:38:34

@post 4, we wern't talking about how to run one, we were telling him what should be done before you even think about running a moo. And this is true for all projects. Unless your super board, you really should sit down and plan your ideas out.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2014-11-29 06:04:21 (edited by camlorn 2014-11-29 06:04:52)

@5, but also everyone else:
If you do not know enough programming to answer this question on your own, you don't need project-starting advice, you need to learn what a moo can do.  Ideas are all well and good, but if you have absolutely no grasp of how easy or hard they are, especially as compared to your current skill set, then they're also a little pointless and prone to lead to failure.  Even the ones that look like easy successes.  Perhaps even the ones that look like easy successes because, if you weren't expecting them to be, you'll get into the thought pattern of "everything is easy" followed by some project that's not, whereupon you delete everything, swearing to never touch programming again in despair.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-12-14 18:50:14

I have been admiring:
Evennia
for a while now, and really wish I had the time to develop something in it. It is a very powerful and easy-to-use system.
For building in general (Which is where I think you should go), I would check out:
The builder's academy
There you will learn the excepted rules and best practices for writing muds and if I remember correctly, you can ask for your code-base to be given to you, once you have built something of quality.
They use Circle Mud, which is in my opinion, the most logical code-base, other than Evennia.
But, do realize, that the syntax in Evennia are much, much different than in TBA and Circle mud, and that was the reason why I stopped after writing one area. There was syntax I just could not understand.
If you do wish to use Evennia, I would say to go through the first part of TBA, write an area, and once you have an area on paper (Keep your areas in a text file on your computer), start going to:
Learn Python the Hard Way
and learn how to install python, run things on the command line, then you can install Evennia. You can use basic features, but you will need to finish Learn Python the Hard way if you really wish to have a strong, unique base.

Final note:
There are 2 parts to a mud:
1. The builders, those who write everything and design the game.
2. Wizards, the ones who program in the things like the combat, magic, skills and all that lovely stuff... as well as the character types.

What one do you wish to be?

2014-12-14 21:34:17

so I cannot be both there has to be at the least 2 people for a mud

nvda is my life

2014-12-14 22:00:52

Wait. No.
You can be both, but I'd advise being one or the other in the long run.  If you aren't, you will have a truly enormous amount of work to have a game that's actually worth playing.
Frastlin's advice doesn't really apply too much to the moo coder, though it could help the moo builder.  If you adopt specific building methodologies, you can have areas that can be ported across.  But the balance on everything will always be different, the commands to enter it all will always be different, etc.  In truth, I do not personally see the point of having an area you can move between muds: if we all did that, no mud would be unique, and there just wouldn't be a point.
If the goal is your own game, then you'll want to learn to code by yourself.  If the goal is to learn Moocode, then go find a moo you like and see if they'll teach you.
it is worth pointing out that, if the goal is any game of any sort and not specifically a moo, things like Evennia or even non-mud projects will let you actually use practices and tools from the last 20 years.  Examples of such include version control, your own personal programming time machine and alternate universe manipulation tool.  Not all of the modern software development practices are things that will seem to yield immediate or obvious benefit, but the ones that have survived a long time did so for a reason.  Learning them can let you avoid many new programmer mistakes.  Just some food for thought.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992