2008-02-19 16:41:01

Yes, i am finally trying out skype, ---- and yes, it is about time.

I've got a usb mike, but I cannot get any sound out of it whatsoever. I have heard it working (my friend who acquired it for me tested it with windows recorder), and yes, the microphone is not muted and the volume is on 100 in the volume tab, and also yes, in the options bit of the volume control, the default recording thingy is set to microphone). this has been getting upon my whick for months now, and now i've finally decided to download skype and do something about it.

so any help would be very much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-19 17:43:51

Double check the recording device is the same in both Skype and Windows, I seem to think Skype had its own option.

Also the device can play about some if you unplug it and you have to reset which device you want sometimes, or if other devices are plugged/unplugged.

Not very helpful, but I hope you can work it out.

Incidentally, this wouldn't have anything to do with the request for Skype interviews with blindies about second life would it? Just asking, I'm going to have to play about since my mic packed up and I volunteered not having realised this.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-19 17:48:21

Hmmm Cx2, windows just list "C media wave device" as the default recorder, ---- but trying out the basic windows recorder, I can't even get that working.

I know windows detects the usb mike when I plug it in, sinse I get the appropriate chime, ---- is there a way I can check that the C media wave device is using the usb mike? (perhaps by checking what usb devices windows is currently recognizing, which i do not know how to do).

Btw, no, this is not related to the second life interview, ---- I am doing that by standard telephone, on thursday evening lol!

good guess though.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-19 17:55:35

grin, glad it isn't just me.

I think the wave device might be your standard soundcard, see what else is there unless that is what your mic shows up as. USB devices are independent of any soundcard so they show up separately.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-19 18:48:56

Well, there was annother device called ak5000 something or other, I've tried that, and it now seems to be working, ---- though I'm not sure how the quality will come out to other people and whether I'll have to muck about with different settings. but at least it's working now, and I can hopefully go on from here to look at recordings things like castings of the pod in sterrio.

Btw Cx2, if you yourself have skype, I wouldn't mind trying an actual voice call with someone (and I don't mind you having my skype name), let me know if this is alright and I'll E-mail my name to you, ---- or you could E-mail yours to me if you prefer.

annoyingly I've got to be out this evening elsewhere at six, but any time before then, ---- or later on tonight when I get back, --- or perhaps tomorrow.

Actually having corresponded on this forum for over two years now, I wouldn't mind having a real time chat with you.

2008-02-19 19:33:02

I'll have to get Skype running on my laptop first, but I'll let you know. I actually feel the same way, so far I've only ever spoken online via voice with one person who is a very good mudding friend. So close we're sometimes almost inseperable, though of late she has had a lot of trouble and also spends a lot of time on SL.

cx2
-----

2008-02-19 20:40:29

Ah fair enough, let me know if you get it fixed up and running. As it turns out I'm not out this evening afterall, sinse the thing I was planning to do has been cancelled, ---- but I have managed to test skype with another friend of mine (and according to her the quality is quite reasonable).

2008-02-19 20:51:51

Hi Dark,
I will email you for your skype name, is that ok?
Thanks,
Elliott.

2008-03-02 09:03:53

the skype quality tends to be quite reasonable yes, it's only 16khz though, but it's still nice and clear. i also have skype.
the only bad thing is that skype sometimes has a horrible noise reduction feature which gets in the way if you show things t someone (a piece of music or the like) actually i don't know if it's the noise reduction, it might be the connection, but i don't know.

2008-03-04 03:09:53

Yeah Skype ain't bad, although when someone plays music it sounds like it's been run through a crappy vocoder--at least with these crappy speakers it does

2008-03-04 20:39:58

Well I've got it up and running, which is good, and through my logitec speakers it comes out very nicely indeed, ---- depending upon the mike of whoever is at the other end of course.

2008-03-06 06:14:07

hi, I also have skype. you might have the other person make sure skype isn't adjusting there mic settings automatically, I think that's in options audio settings. Also skype won't record in stereo for anyone wondering. Or maybe it's just there call testing service? If you want to skype me it's Big.D01 I'd put a CallTo link here but punBB doesn't seem to like those.
please tell me who you are on here before adding me.
thanks.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-03-07 16:19:16

i've disabled that and still the same problem.