2013-05-24 02:09:15

Twitter? What about Facebook and things like Skype? I do not think it is the service they use. I think it is the people and their maturity levels and their lack of knowing their differences and customs that make it difficult for one to process.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-06-03 14:45:55

Ah, yes, the ability to post anonymously. I hate that feature. If you have a gripe with someone, say it out loud. Grow a set of balls and say your mind, and if you get screwed over, so what? Who cares? You spoke your mind, and you were honest (I hope).

2013-06-06 04:35:11

I agree with that statement. Some of us like to say the honest truth regardless of what the other fellow thinks.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-06-06 12:52:48

Well, I am done on that site forever.

2014-11-26 23:11:58

Well, I decided to try my luck at the Zone once more, chiefly for the games they have and to see if I can achieve a goal of five million points in two months.
I know someone who was able to get four million points in just one month, but I have absolutely no idea how they were able to get so many points in that short amount of time. The word games there only give you about five to ten thousand all together, while some of the ones, like Big Mouths give you five hundred at one time. The only two speculations I have is that they probably played a lot of Keno, or they had points transferred to them.
Also, it would be great if they added more helpful content to some of these games. A problem I'm running into quite a lot is when sounds are played, especially in Blingo and Word Master Mine. The beeps are very slow, and even when I set it to fast, it's still slow. I'm using the Quick-time Plug-in with Internet Explorer, and when I tried it with Firefox, I kept getting unresponsive script messages. For this reason, I find it rather cumbersome to be playing blingo with a browser that would slow me down considerably.
I also decided to turn off all quicknotes and only partake of the forums on there. Of course I still have private messages enabled, for I don't think that's something you can disable.
My final speculation as to how that person I'm speaking of, the one who got four million points in one month, they could have boughten a premium and played games that awarded more points.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-11-27 14:58:18 (edited by Socheat 2014-11-27 14:59:01)

Well, feel free to say hi when I am online. my username is socheat and user ID is 20662.

2014-11-27 16:59:53 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2014-12-04 05:47:04)

Mine is the same as on here, without spaces. My user ID is 28242.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-11-29 00:13:27

I would say your last theory is right. The person most likely bought a premium membership to get all those points.
The games aren't that great, anyway, except for anagrams, which I play every once in a great while if I have nothing better to do.
I used to have a premium membership myself, just so I could log in invisibly. These days, I just sign in to read and occasionally post to the message boards.
To the people who said the site is poorly moderated, well, that would be because there are no moderators. Apparently, the users of the site are above that, and any kind of moderation would be considered oppression.
The thing is, you really do have to be careful what you post on the boards. If you ask for advice about a problem you might be having, for instance, in less than 6 hours, you can pretty much count on having several people piling on every personal insult they can think of to try to break you down. And, because this has happened to me, I spent a lot of time thinking it was my fault, and that's how normal people are supposed to behave.
Luckily, I did learn my lesson about posting, but I still sometimes wonder if that's how most people really do act in real life. I mean, they say that that's what the "real world" is like, and, well, I have been on the receiving end of real life cruelty before, so...

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-11-29 00:40:22

That's interesting, although if they bought that premium membership I don't know what things they could have done to earn four million points. When I confronted them with this question, they just said that they played a lot of word games and that they were good at it, but that was an illogical answer.
Also, if you say the site has no moderators, wouldn't community leaders count as moderators or something? Most issues come when people lean more towards order instead of freedom. It's like a dystopian society instead of a Eutopian one. Just the other day, I read somewhere that they were going to update the terms of service, because they started to realise that the site has become decrimental over its existence, and they want to look and act the same way Facebook and Twitter are right now.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-11-29 01:25:41

Yeah, but when was the last post in that topic? It was months ago, and, certainly, the admins haven't responded to it, or changed the terms at all.
I think the community leaders are there to help new users navigate the site, although that doesn't make much sense, because it's an easy site to navigate, all things considered.
If they were really there to moderate, I guarantee you that most of the things that have been said on the boards, or in qn's, from what I've heard, although I don't have any recent experience with those, would have been dealt with in some fashion. But, if you do read the terms of service, there is a clearly defined section that says, we are not your parents, and we are not here to censor anything that a user says. They will step in if someone uses a racial slur, but other than that, anything goes.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-11-29 01:36:31 (edited by CAE_Jones 2014-11-29 01:37:50)

People act like that in real life... in high school, prison, and other such communities where leaving is hard or the values-enforcement mechanism is antagonistic/useless.

Community building is hard. If done poorly, one could end up with a cult, or gulags, or 4chan. It's the sort of thing where one really shouldn't experiment with values they find insufficiently implemented until they have a system that can soak up the damage if they do it wrong.

*Goes off to try exactly what just warned against, because it sounds like fun and probably won't get any further than a few notes*

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-11-30 02:36:28

What really needs to happen is for people to stop paying for premium memberships. If the admins weren't getting money in their pockets for sitting back and doing absolutely nothing for the site they created over 10 years ago, that might force them to wake up and care about the direction it heads in.
But, apparently, people are getting something out of it that's worth $25. At least, I think that's how much a premium membership costs.

2014-11-30 18:49:59

My issue is that the whole thing is antiquated. Please find me two games on that site which cannot be played in any other fashion somewhere else. Then there's their version of the rather old game where you remove bricks with the computer, attempting to not get the last brick. I can see that as a kind of pointsink wherein one can simply get unlimited points forever. Once you know the concept of winning, you can do it literally every single time you play. What I find amusing is the mention of moderation due to racial slurs. I'd bet anything there are a million of those which have gone unmoderated.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2014-12-01 02:05:03

I can't speak to what goes on in quicknotes, so I won't even attempt that. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that particular facet of the site. I can think of a couple of recent instances where people were banned for saying racially hateful things on the boards, though.
But another thing that is blatantly obvious, from what I've heard from others, is that the community leaders pick favorites. These favorite users can get away with anything they want.
This is why there are, I think, only two community leaders on the site, and a few years back, the vast majority of them actually resigned.

2014-12-04 02:32:12 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2014-12-04 02:34:16)

I strongly believe that the community should start to rebuild it self by way of turning to facilitation instead of teaching. If people complain, it is because their subconscious mindsets are geared to challenge everything stated in their terms of service. That's just my opinion, and no one need not believe it. This might be in relation to what CAE already outlined above, but you all get my point.
Also, I figured out how to gain access to the games which will grant you a boatload of points. Anagram extreme, time waister, genius, and random altogether. Just today, I bought a premium and in two hours I accumulated over eleven million points, well over five million as I originally anticipated.
I'm also surprised that they don't allow people to delete accounts the way many web sites allow you to do.
In conclusion, I think I'm going to just sit back and watch as these people squander the gifts they were once given, because I don't think I'd want to engage myself with people who possess flagrant attitudes.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-12-04 05:12:19

Ugh. What an incredible bius toward those who buy premiums. It puts me in mind of this post:

turtlepower17 wrote:

What really needs to happen is for people to stop paying for premium memberships. If the admins weren't getting money in their pockets for sitting back and doing absolutely nothing for the site they created over 10 years ago, that might force them to wake up and care about the direction it heads in.
But, apparently, people are getting something out of it that's worth $25. At least, I think that's how much a premium membership costs.

Yes; people are getting something for whatever amount of money it is--massively inflated amounts of points. Of course nobody is going to stop buying premiums; you'd have to be sufficiently principled to realize that the benefit of gaining a superior community outways the cost of losing the ability to get what are really rather absurd amounts of points. I garuntee the various egotists, trolls, flamers, and just generally snide personalities over there will never make this leap of logic. That's what really sucks about the whole system.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2014-12-04 05:45:12

Hello, all. I just remember seeing this post and I decided to pass it along.
Anyone who uses the Zone BBS with Internet Exploder XI with Windows Seven will find that the site's antique coding will cause your browser to incessantly crash. To fix this problem, it is advised that you add the web site to the compatibility view, which can be found in the tools menu. From there it's straight forward.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-12-04 10:08:42 (edited by daigonite 2014-12-04 10:19:42)

Yes.

Unfortunately.

I use the same handle here as I do there. I post extremely infrequently and I only really discussed my game, how much I hate autism activism and relationship problems with my last BF.

Granted I did make some cool friends there but let's just put it this way, within 15 minutes I got a guy on skype asking me about how big my tits were. Sure I laughed it off but that was pretty hilariously awkward. Always a fun story to tell people. And frankly, I never talk to my friends there because their messaging system sucks and skype, despite sometimes being problematic, is vastly superior, and usually I just get horny dopes trying to get laid in my inbox, which I couldn't really care about, sighted or otherwise.

Its interface is absolutely offputting though and even for sighted people it's confusing to know where stuff is supposed to go. It was archaic 10 years ago, but I guess it would have been passable for a blind website. Now it's just an absolute mess and there's no excuse to why it's so all over the place.

Also the premium is a complete bleeping ripoff. Any other forum offers almost all of those features, outside of maybe blogging, for free. Yes, some forums are not as accessible as it, but it's not worth it in my opinion. At all. I could probably set up a pretty decent accessible Simple Machine forum in a few days and have most of the same functionality as ZoneBBS and not charge people money to have simple shit such as logging in in invisible mode or name changes.

A lot of the community sucks as well. Let's just put it this way. I made a topic here that I made a major gamble with, but I was right in trusting this community in making it and was able to work some serious shit out. I owe you all one big time. I wouldn't even dream of making that same topic on ZoneBBS. Not even under an alternate account name.

Here is my profile if anyone is interested:

https://www.zonebbs.com/viewuser.php?u=23580&nw=1

Green Gables Fan wrote:

Hello, all. I just remember seeing this post and I decided to pass it along.
Anyone who uses the Zone BBS with Internet Exploder XI with Windows Seven will find that the site's antique coding will cause your browser to incessantly crash. To fix this problem, it is advised that you add the web site to the compatibility view, which can be found in the tools menu. From there it's straight forward.

I chortled harder than I should have. Seriously, that's hilarious. UPGRADE YOUR SOFTWARE YOU NINNIES

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2014-12-04 19:05:58

I I agree that having an alternative system would be great, although I don't see why it would be bad to buy premiumssince it's an insentive, and the fact that it is voluntary, it would motivate people to get more from the site. What I'd really like though is something you can use your points towards, like use them for credit purposes, sort of like what BookShare does when you volunteer.
Also, I haven't gotten any perverted messages like that before, and that's mainly because I don't really partake of any social gatherings. I just go there and play their word games.
I wouldn't say the interface was off-putting, although I think upgrading the system would be a good idea. It just gets boring after a while though. Of course there are the boards, which are always fun to look at, but still.
Also, what is it that you despise against autism activism and relationship problems?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-12-04 20:36:45 (edited by daigonite 2014-12-04 21:02:32)

Well I had relationship problems with someone who was kind of an idiot. tl;dr he loved me and I loved him but he was with a girlfriend who didn't give a damn about him and probably is screwing some other guy behind his back but he doesn't want to shake her off because "morals". It's completely stupid. He's still with the chick, threw me under the bus because "feels" and is still miserable, he just dumps it on his friends now. Hopefully he'll learn that she was not worth his time. All he needs to do is apologize and I'd be cool, but eh.

The problem with autism activism is that it's an echo chamber who's run by people who have no interest in actually integrating themselves into society. This is the main reason why the big scumbag organization, Autism Speaks, has so much power - because so many autistic people absolutely fail to give a damn about integrating themselves in society, especially when they are fully capable of doing so. It's basically a bunch of people asking why their lives suck and then yelling at people for forcing them to follow the same rules as everyone else.

It's not that I don't think autistic people don't face issues, hell I know personally they can get treated like absolute garbage. But the reason why that crap persists is because they keep writing their own stereotypes.

When you tell them that, they blow off the handle. But guess what, I'm the autie with the job and independent life, who doesn't have to rely on people who they whine about lol

See, naive me went and tried to engage with this community of individuals about a year ago, thinking, "well I have autism and I've been pretty successful, maybe I can help a few people out!" and it's been nothing but absolute condescending bullshit. I'm sorry, but seriously. Been told so many times that my professional diagnosis doesn't exist, or how I'm "too high functioning" to have an opinion, or how because I give some advice that if it doesn't directly pertain to someone else that I'm just talking down to them. People say vile things like how neurotypical people are evil (and in some cases how they should be banished), how problems that occur in autistic people are somehow more important than those in other groups of people (such as autistics using sign language or them "stimming" which some blind people do). Even suggesting that an autistic person is just playing their cards to try to milk the system (a very common thing by the way) is met with fierce condemnation. Criticizing things such as condemnation of opposing opinions, poor education, propaganda and fear mongering, even in the form of Devil's Advocate, are viciously retaliated against, and several times I've had people tell me that I should go kill myself. There's a few outliers, islands of hope in a sea of stupidity, but for the most part the movement is so caught up in how enlightened they are that it will collapse upon itself. All I can do is advocate for myself.

Hell, there are some times that I just gave suggestions on how to handle your life based on my past experiences and I had people telling me that I was a horrible person, should kill myself, I didn't have autism, hypocrite everywhere ect. Lots of bullying people who aren't autistic too. Some people act like those who aren't autistic are something inherently wrong with them. Also they have no idea what the hell "self regulation" means, and anyone who questions them gets the tired old fallacy about how "if you disagree with me you hate civil rights". Appalling, 0/10 would not bang. Just an incredibly toxic community.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2014-12-05 05:33:39

The issue with your idea of how the premium systems give insentive is that the insentive really isn't manifest. What I'm saying is that if you're trying to imply that those who buyextra features should be inherently less idiotic, that simply is not true. As was said earlier on, the only longterm effect it appears to be having is to ensure that the community leaders do nothing about it. After all, they're getting their money, so why fix what ain't broken?

Best Regards,
Hayden

2014-12-05 06:56:16

Slight correction, the community leaders can't make changes to the site at large. That privilege falls squarely on the two admins, who log in, oh, maybe a grand total of twice a year.
From what I've gathered, it's because the community leaders don't know the coding for the website, which is something antiquated. I apologize that I can't be more specific than that, but it would be easy enough to look up on the boards if you're so inclined.

2014-12-05 07:00:43

People pay thinking they're supporting the site, when in reality, nothing gets done.

I only log on out of habbit these days.

Sure there are other social networks for us around, but what happened to them?

Blink Nation ended up getting hacked, and I'm not sure if my credentials would even work, assuming they are still around.

I couldn't be bothered checking.

Oh and let's not forget Klango, so much promise, and now it's practically a sinking ship.

Another place I log in out of habbit.

I go by the same username on both, which happens to be what I go by on here.

I actually liked Blink Nation's chat system, the way it was set up, you could go back through the messages for that day or certain number of posts, I forget which.

Klango also had a chat system, but not everyone could connect cause it was a direct peer to peer connection.

Like many of its features, they broke it, and will most likely stay that way untill it eventually dies.

2014-12-05 07:10:23

Are the online features of Klango still active? I thought the servers were getting shut down or something.

2014-12-05 08:52:22

Klango is still up and working, although most of the features, like uploading audio avatars is no-more.
Also, I agree that people in the autistic community aren't working to their best. In fact, few see beyond the manifest bias of autistic people, but what is needed is someone who is genuinely motivated to conduct research on hopes to find a cure for aautism.
As I understand it, the Zone BBS site does have some usefulness, such as learning new things, and many of their games are addicting because of the ways one can accumulate points. Now that I have beaten the person I was so determined to beat, I need not worry. I can just enjoy my premium until it turns void.
Going back to what was stated, where is the money going to in the first place? How is the web site being maintained for all this time if none of the staff are managing the site? Obviously, there are still community leaders patrolling the area, answering questions, etc.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy