2014-11-26 16:20:12

I ordered a new mac around two weeks a go and had it sent to a family member's house. I sent it to the house that I did to save money.  Basicly, some places are cheeper to send stuff to in the US. Anyway, I'm going to go pick it up from the house in question in the next day or so. Is there anything I need to know when I open the box? Is there any good apps for the mac? I have I pacmate with a forty cell display attached. I am thinking about using that display with that mac. I ordered a mac book pro with a 512 gb SSD in it. It also comes with 16 gb of ram and it has the I7 processer in it. Not that I will use it, but it has the retna display on it. From my point of view, the one thing that the mac has going for it is the accessibility during set up.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-11-27 09:49:23

Just as a note I've been able to deal with the Windows new computer questions bit using Narrator but no it's not ideal.

Just turn on and hit command F5, command is the key in the same position as alt on a Windows keyboard. From there you may as well do the tutorial if you're not familiar with Voice Over, it doesn't take long and it covers using HTML areas as well.

As for software, remember Apple's word processor Pages and spreadsheet Numbers are both free from the app store. As usual you may wish to run a check for updates but other than that everything you need should be there right away. If you're using an iOS device however Apple's remote app can be useful, you can sit your macbook somewhere a little way off from you and still control iTunes using your iPad or iPhone. Very handy if you have a sighted friend you want to watch something with via your MacBook.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-28 14:43:51

Ok, I am writing this on my new mac. The thing that got me was the reg your mac dialog. For some reason, voiceover wasn't reading it to me. The only other problem was the tim zone. It didn't have a city within my time some listed in the combo box, or that is until I started typing in a city name within my time zone. I went and got dropbox, evernote, and VLC. Is there any good mudding software? How about some daisy software? Also, how accessible is Skype on the mac? One more thing for now, how about some good games? Ah, that will be one don't side. Just about every game I know about runs on windows. LOL. Just as long is this mac is a useful truck as Jobs compared it to. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-11-28 20:49:26 (edited by blindncool 2014-11-28 20:50:11)

Hey CW. As for mudding programs, Atlantis and tintin are good places to start. Daisy programs? I don't think there are any, but I'll do some research. You can play all the windows games you want with vmware fusion, and Draconis have two awesome games for the mac. Did I mension that there is iBlink  Radio for the mac?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-11-28 22:13:32

sorry but I have to tell you.
your problems on your Mac, just started...
you go  faster for windows than you thought...
yosemite and  voiceover, is loaded with bugs, and apple is not the solution.
you  can take life to report bugs to apple. You' re never going to see resolved...
voice over is stopped in time, and no future ...
the screen readers on windows, are ten times better than the voice over ...
cheers.
cheers.

2014-11-28 23:11:44

Hmmm. I am currently running 10.9.5. Yes that is the version it shipped with. To be more correct it shipped with 10.9.4. As for the voiceover not being as fast as jaws, I have in fact found it as fast as jaws at times. If you notest, I said at times. As for bugs, have you dug around in JAWS. I have found one or two in jaws at times. For example, try using the jaws cursor in firefox in windows seven. They might had fixed it in 16, but I doudt it. The whole interacting thing with voiceover does get some getting used to, but the item chooser helps out allot with page navagation when you know the page. There is the control plus option plus command plus h to go to the next heading for an example of something simlar to jaws. FS added touch screen support to jaws in 15, but the track pack navagation was in Voiceover before then and I still use word on windows with JAWS for now if you want to compare the two. LOL. If you really get down to it, you can find problems with any screenreader on the market. As for Voiceover stopping in times, are you backing that up by with those bugs you see there? Are you sure? I am just saying. You are not the only one that has found bugs. I have heard about some kind of wifi bug here and I know for a fact that IOS 8 still have enough bugs in it. So, by your logic, IOS 8 will go off the market per say pretty soon. This means that there will be no more IPads and IPhone sold after a point because of NDroid doing what IOS is trying to do so much better. It looks like to me, it all depends on what each person does on their computer that desides the OS and screen reader of choice.

DropBox Referral

2014-11-28 23:23:50

Mario, first off it's still early days for Yosemite. By contrast Windows 8 has been around a fair while. Also have you any idea how bloated windows screen readers like Jaws are, much less how bloated Windows is? I'm not saying macs are perfect by any stretch, I actually use Windows more than Mac OS both due to the age of my MBP and VipMud, but both are viable choices.

Oh and you get both Pages and Numbers for free on Mac OS, they may lack some of the more exotic features of MS Office but for day to day use they do most of the things you could want.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-29 01:57:11

I AM USING WORD IN WINDOWS DO TO THE FACT I AM HAVING TO WRITE PAPERS AND THE LIKE. THOSE PAPERS CAN BE QUITE DEMANDING WHEN IT COMES TO THE formatting. Other then that, pages would do fine. Anyway, well said CX.

DropBox Referral

2014-11-29 02:41:17

skype on the mac is totally accessible. You can set it up to where it will tell you where contacts go online or go offline. It is almost like Skype talking for windows

2014-11-29 15:55:38

LOL to all the one-siding around here. I'm not willing to campaign for Windows simply because I hate some aspects of the Mac, which do include the glacial progress of VoiceOver, it's true, nor am I willing to campaign for the Mac to the exclusion of Windows. I, for example, am using Mountain Lion on my iMac with XP in a VM because quite honestly, there's no going forward for me. In fact it's entirely possible that if I move back to Windows, I'd be going backwards from where I am now, to Windows 7, just to keep all the functionality I need. Having said this …

Both platforms are good for different things. It is really true that Windows does more than you give it credit for, because you get much better guarantees of accessibility with arbitrary programs than on Mac or iOS, but only if you first neglect the fact that it's a bitch to set up and use for basic tasks. That is one area where the Mac just wins, IMO, hands-down. Keep VMWare on your Mac, or a separate partition, and you'll be able to use both Mac for the vast majority of your shit and Windows for the vast minority of it. That unless you begin to find, as I do in Yosemite, that even basic functions are becoming increasingly crippled in the name of "Progress".

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-29 17:14:28

I really, really wouldn't condone staying on XP to the exclusion of 7. I was concerned to begin with but I now find I can get along in 7 even faster than XP, I actually quite like the new style start menu though I've no experience of the one in 8. Add to this that XP will no longer receive patches for security updates and won't support newer interface technologies, hell it doesn't even support SATA natively.

I don't advocate upgrading just for upgrading's sake but equally I don't advocate staying on a dinosaurian version of an OS when you have a viable upgrade path.

cx2
-----

2014-11-29 17:52:19

Certainly, if I went back to Windows on hardware, I'd be going with 7, no doubt about it. I might have my reasons to dislike it but what you say is absolutely true and it makes complete sense if you're going to use it in production to be on current software.

Just myself, as usual.