2014-11-25 19:02:09

Hey there folks,

So, this is a stab in the dark here, since I realize that it's hardly a common thing to do, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever used a Seagate Backup Plus external drive as a desktop internal drive? This would of course mean that the drive has been taken out of its case and put inside the computer itself. I know it's doable, because I've run into several entries on Google about it...but the one thing I can't figure out is exactly how people have done it. The main problem is that most new hard drives are connected to a motherboard by a SATA cable... But the only connection that I can see on the drive is an ESata port. Is there a SATA connection on this thing and I'm just not seeing it? Or would I have to get a Sata to ESata converter? Of course then there's the question of how to power the drive... And to make things worse, I'm pretty new when it comes to internal computer hardware and how it all fits together.

Again, I realize this is a rather unusual operation I'm trying to do here... Still, if anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2014-11-25 23:24:33

Well given that ESata is essentially a normal SATA cable with added shielding and a connector which has been altered in order to prevent internal SATA cables from being accidentally used externally I'm guessing they probably took half an ESata cable, half a normal SATA cable and spliced the two together. Wikipedia claims the two are "electrically compatible" even though the physical connector has been changed specifically to be incompatible.

I'm sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-29 17:06:37

I have a backup+ drive, and will give you info based on that, but don't take it as the holy grail; I don't know much about external drives being converted, other than its possible.
My drive is in two pieces: the hard disk enclosure, and a small device on the bottom of the drive where the power cable and usb cable plug into.
This bottom device can be removed from the enclosure (though it may take a little bit of pressure/force), and is actualy functional for any standard sata drive.
This leads me to believe that what you've got is a standard internal hard disk, which would of course have normal sata data and power cable connectors.
You'll need to crack the enclosure open, somehow remove the drive, and then hook it up using normal cables (presuming, of course, your model is the same as mine).

2014-12-01 04:40:15

Right... So I discovered something rather interesting. An ESata connecter is basically a connecter that handles both the Sata data and power connections of a typical Sata drive at once. Once I realized this, it was a snap to put my drive inside my computer and get it going. As of now, this beast has a 120-gb SSD primary drive, a 3-tb mechanical storage drive, 16 gigs of ram, and a really awesome AMD quad-core processor running at a standard speed of 3.8 GHZ, with a turbo speed of 4.2 GHZ. Truly a sweet rig.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.