2014-11-19 05:32:07 (edited by queenslight 2014-11-24 14:51:57)

Since 1996, I have used Windows in one way or another. From Windows 3.1. to Windows 7, (no I have not touched Windows 8 one bit!)

I haven't looked at Windows 10 Technical Preview extensively, though I do like where narrator's truly going. And now that Windows 10 will have their own package manager... (No you did not read that wrong...)
http://oneget.org
, we'll have to see if that "pays" off.

With all that being said above, its time for me to "get away" from the "proprietary" OS world, and "exercise" the right to "true" freedom, as some have already done here.

Though I have played with Vinux, Sonar, Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian distros, they have all been inside a "Virtual Machine." The "first-ever" distro I'll be installing to my "laptop," will be Ubuntu Mate , the distro which loks like the older GNOME 2 interface, and not using a GNOME 3 "Fallback" mode.

If you listen to Episode 66 of Jupiter Brod casting's Linux Unplugged , skipping to 1:1:15 in to the show, something quite "exciting" happens! I won't spoil it for ya folks here though... smile

It is thanks to a man who goes by the name of "Spatry,"  who has his own show, his own community, and his own "distro!" They all can be found at http://www.cupoflinux.com/
, who by the way, in his reviews, does mention if "Orca" is "available" in a a particular distro. For example, did you know that orca is built-in to "these" distros?

1. Luninux
2. Kali Linux
3. Paldo

I'm sure there are plenty of others out there... (Yes I know, I'm over using the word "distro" a bit much here...)

Anyway, that's all I wanted to share here with yall.

Catch ya later!

2014-11-19 07:04:08

Trenton, way to go. As a matter of fact I like Ubuntu-Mate as well. Although, I use Gnome 3.x more than I do Mate it is a good place to begin if  you are fairly new to Linux and want a decent distribution and desktop to get started with. So congratulations on the choice to switch.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-11-19 12:32:45

smile
And I thank you Thomas, for continuing to spread the joy of GNU/Linux around!

The jump in to GNU/Linux accessible gaming I suspect will be in 2015, thanks to all the progress that has been made with Orca and all these different desktops and distros that are becoming more, and more, and more! accessible by the day.

And with that, off I go to "finally!" sign up with the Orca mailing list.
I've been reading off and on its Archives for years.

2014-11-19 22:02:09

I like to switch to Windows 10 TecnicalPreview but I'm thinking but unfortunately I have 13 years tomorrow I have 14 years old, so I don't have 18 years so... sad...

Luis Carlos Gonzáles Moráles, from Panama!

2014-11-19 23:38:03

Well, considering that the 1st package manager was made back in 1994, (Which was from Debian,) it took Microsoft 20 years to actually make one! A bit late, don't ya think?
Of course, the fact that this is all in "Power Shell" has some folks a little upset...

Though I myself am switching to Ubuntu Mate for my first distro, I'll soon be making a list of known accessible distros with Orca built-in.

Oh! Speaking of Accessible Distros, ya may want to give Mageia a look. Checked out the Wiki, and sure enough, Orca was listed there.
Yes, there's a GNOME version of this Distro.

2014-11-20 00:18:45

but, how to install Mageia on windows, it replaces my operating system or what? I don't no. It is an other operating system with 167 languages. That's a big number of languages!

Luis Carlos Gonzáles Moráles, from Panama!

2014-11-20 00:38:33

You are correct... It is another OS.
You will have to burn the ISO file to a DVD or to a USB derive first.
That's for all of them in fact, unless you wish to buy the distro in question, if they have a paying option.

2014-11-24 14:50:55

The Window, Of Windows, Has Now Been Closed!

Yes everyone, I will no longer be locked inside the world of a system that is trying to be more like GNU/Linux now, but technically isn't. I officially closed the Window on the 23rd of November, (yesterday, at around 2 o'clock PM.)

Instead of going with Ubuntu Mate, I instead jumpped on to the Manjaro band wagon, thanks to The Sonar GNU/Linux Distro
I have not decided, if I will put the Vinux Mate version  on the Desktop Machine, or the Sonar Mate eddition. Both are still under development, as of this moment. Was  gonna do Ubuntu Mate, however I'm debating on that still.

Sonar even recognized the Actiontec Modem, which I'm connecting to it via a wi-fi connection. Well done I say!

Will keep ya posted with things.

2014-11-24 18:37:37

Arabic, while you can replace Windows it's also possible to run Linux from an optical disc such as a DVD or from a USB drive of some kind, or to dual boot your system. If you wanted to give it a go I'd suggest using either a DVD, which has the disadvantage of not being able to save files unless you connect an external drive, or from a USB flash drive or USB hard drive. These would run slower than installing it in place of or dual booted with Windows but they will leave your Windows installation completely untouched, so returning to Windows is as simple as removing the disc or external drive and rebooting.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-24 22:30:18

Congrats trenton! I'm still debating on whether I should close the window myself. Maybe I will once I have a faster internet connection.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-11-24 22:47:52

Thank you,

Yes, I truly feel that GNU/Linux, is the way to go for me. The more people who talk about it, podcast about it, etc., I feel its going to explode in popularity. Very much so!
Both Vinux and Soar have a purpose for being around. Sonar being a Rolling Release, Vinux being a long term support  release. Sonar based on Manjaro which in turn is based off of arch. While vinux is based off of Ubuntu, though besides having Unity, will will include GNOME and Mate in the next release, that being vinux 5.0.
Its all about choise.
Ah, can't forget Trisquel as well! If you want to go the "Free As In Freedom" root.

2014-12-06 06:58:12

I am not duel booting Linux until I am able to get PureBASIC accessible, and to get me and Danny's games to actually work under Linux. Then I'll completely switch to Linux for once and for all. I admit, it is a very good OS. Especially arch-linux. I built a distro of it myself, and I had it for almost a month. I loved it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-12-06 15:56:12

Arch is a very light and sexy distro. I have it on an old desktop, makes the machine feel like new.

2014-12-06 18:14:10

Yeah. Totally agree with you there.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github