2014-11-23 21:44:34

Hi.

I've just finished reading the  World of Ice and Fire book. The descriptions of the various lands, and the wars that the heroes had across them in that book were amazing, I particularly loved how mysterious a lot of places were, and how a lot of the history involved new peoples actually going out battling, conquering and exploring to see what they  found in a very hostile world.

Why is it, that with the very notable exceptions of Kodp and Castaways, we have nothing like this? I recently tried yet another browser game purporting to be about exploration and building empires, to find it was yet another "which players can number crunch the fastest" with neither descriptions of your lands, peoples or artifacts, nor any real disasters events or things to explore beyond a new building just called "town hall" or whatever.

there are plenty of these sorts of games around in the mainstream, from Dwarf fortress to civilization, yet why is it all the accessible examples I find are all pretty dull multiplayer number crunchers with no atmosphere and no unexpected surprises?

I know programming is an issue, but really I'm quite amazed more hasn't been done here, unless I'm missing something somewhere. Does anyone have any thoughts?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-23 22:31:31

Depends on what type, and weather its multiplayer. If you read the development room, i've put up a thread asking for testers for my new online space game, and in order to set up that took me about 4 days, 4 long grooling days. I think the ishue, at least on my end isn't so much the programming, its finding the time to sit down and write it, then code it, then debug it. Remember with coding, I can't just say, I want a colony with a gigantic spaceship. I need to think in my head how my interface is pland out. Before you even start a project, you need to carefully plan the ideas, and I think that's partly why no games have been done like that. I could try and do a colony type thing with my space game, but it will require lots of testing.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2014-11-23 22:34:59

Dark, I'm on it.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-11-23 23:09:43

Interesting. I've never thought about this but then there are a few types of games that mainstream gamers have that we don't have. There was that one game lysaaurora or something like that but I've never played it so don't know much about it. There is star traders and hopefully star traders 2 might have some good exploration stuff in it.
Well I guess we'll just have to wait for aprone's next awesome game.
@danny I tested out the game just last night and it's really good so far keep up the good work.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-11-24 01:03:22

@Danny I'll be very glad if your game comes about, and I do understand very well the issues with all aspects of producing a game, it's just that what mildly frustrates me in this respect is that all the necessary tools are there. Castaways and Lunimals showed how to do real time development and management of free acting units, Time of Conflict had the awsome map interface, and anyone with a skill in writing descriptions could design a colourful world for the game. All the elements are there, but nobody has put them together quite yet, which, given that we now have several audio games in genres from fps, to vehicle sim to some pretty good in roads into rpgs is really quite surprising, and a little frustrating considering that most of what is! accessible is of such an amazingly inferior click click minimax quality.

Kodp and Castaways are very much exceptions of course, though neither is really up to the dwarf fortress level sinse Kodp, while amazing in many ways isn't just! a civilization and settling game and castaways doesn't quite go far enough, ---- though if Aprone plans a castaways ii, or something similar I'm all for that.

I suppose it was just reading Martin's fantastic history of Westeros it struck me this would be an amazing thing to get stuck into, to take a group, rather like the Andals colonizing westeros, in a hostile environment where you could find literally anything, guide them to overcome weather and hostile natives, to explore for teretory and resources and then see them build an ever more complex civilization going from a few crude huts in the forest to fully fortified castles and entire cities, building their own ships and sending out new colonies of their own.

It's actually a little odd, back before I played castaways I knew people who enjoyed that style of game but could never see the appeal, sinse the only examples I'd had access to had been the boring, numeric multiplayer variety. Castaways however with it's disasters and it's need to continually keep a handle on the environment and what was happening, and change your stratogy and priorities so that you could react to threats really! showed me what was possible, and now it's something I can't wait to try.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-24 01:42:42

@dark Its already come about. I actualy have the code ritten, the build is ready for private alpha testing. You can't do much, but it does show case quite a few things. If you want to see it, let me know of a way of me getting the beta too you.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2014-11-24 01:53:19

For the same reason we don't have any proper games in a dozen other categories: only a handful of people are interested, and only a small subset of that handful is capable of doing the development. Sighted devs are nowhere near post-scarcity in terms of market, human resources, or funding, but compared to accessible game devs, they might as well be. The average indie dev can hop on to kickstarter, make a campaign with perks and a video, and call up half a dozen friends, and 30 days later they have all the necessary funding, and if they can't program that well, they always have Unity3D.
Crowdfunding something so niche, especially when this depends on the accessibility of the crowdfunding sites and/or getting sighted devs to take the risk, is hard enough that we're already down to what can be built for free or devs who can handle the financial obstacle. We don't have robust, easy-to-use engines to speed things along. We don't have an audience even 1% that of graphical games.

Solutions come down to some combination of these traits, according to the whole thirty seconds of thought I just put into it:
Conscientiousness, Charisma, and/or a big pile of money. (This would have been easier in Japanese! や'ya' would be the perfect conjunction, here, but English doesn't really have it.)
And, even better, if you have one of the three, you can probably magic up a little of the other two. They're all rather versatile.
Hardly anyone here has the money, so it's a question of how much of the other two are floating around.

Oops, a rant. That's not what you ordered :-/

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-11-24 02:23:47

Hi.
@Dark I wish you could see danny's new game it's awesome. I can't say more just that I think this is the kind of thing you were talking about. Btw, where did you get martin's new book about his world I'd really love to read it. The last time I checked bookshare they didn't have this book but I'll check again. I really need to get into the game of thrones books since I've been hearing a lot about them lately but that's a whole different topic.
@Cae, I haven't played in a while but isn't sengoku jidai sort of like this in terms of controlling multiple characters looking for food and stuff like that? In that way it's sort of like castaways accept less turn-based.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-11-24 02:44:37

I've watched a few sighted friends playing civilization, and I loved the game.  I was very excited when Castaways came out, and I think I played that game for hours and hours.  I'd love to see more like that.

There is way too much blood in my caffine system!  I require coffee in great amounts for total thought processes.

2014-11-24 03:03:55

Yes, Sengoku Jidai kinda is, but it's also pretty disorganized and random and could always stand improvements and is decidedly not what Dark is looking for.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-11-24 05:40:57

There's also no open world games in the audiogame community that I know of, except for maybe Swamp.

I love the concept of open world where you just go around doing what you want, yeah mudding can be open world I suppose, but I'm not really into muds, too many commands to memorise and not all of them have soundpacks.

Let's face it, a mud with no soundpack is rather boring.

Is there such a thing as an audio MOO?

I'm thinking of concepts like some of the popular muds, but turn them into audiogames, if that is even possible.

Quite a lot of work I'm sure, but it would sure be worth it.

2014-11-24 10:49:19

I agree we're lacking a good 4X game. I've experienced some of these games before my sight loss and it really is surprising what they can achieve with a turn based game when compared to the ubiquitous RTS games, at least in the mainstream. Unfortunately this leads to complexity for both the developer and player, and while many of us want that complexity there's always those who complain the games are too difficult to grasp.

CoolTurk, that's why I wish something like the mainstream game Skyrim was available to us as well. It's essentially a single player MMO in terms of openness but has a completely dynamic world that reacts to your actions while also continuing on its own merry way if you were to just sit around doing nothing.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-24 10:55:18

@Danny, the game sounds good, I'll see if I have time for testing, and if so I'll drop you an e-mail.

@Cae,  while your correct on resources and funding, there are other factors as well. Dwarf fortress began as an ascii created game and can still be played with practically no graphics, it was just a case of time and effort given over to a lot of complexity, and of course the fact that to be brutally honest up until recently (ie castaways and Time of conflict), showing that level of multiple complexity in audio was rather laborious, where as for a sighted developer they already have a massive overview of a fully realized 2D environment there anyway just by virtue of owning a monitor.
This to me is the issue I always had with Sengoku Jidai, the fact that it's fairly difficult to pause and manage sinse everything is going on at once and you suffer something of information overload, with the complexity occurring not by managing multiple levels of technical and environmental challenge in an adaptive way, but simply by getting a handle on what your hoards of minians are doing as they wander around pretty much at random,  (castaways  isn't turn based, but the ability to stop the clock and get an overview and to have things stop while the game speaks really helps with the overload, Castaways isn't turn based, it's tick based which is fine), I admit I have not played the game for a while.

I actually had a design thought on this problem earlier this year, a game based on zombie appocalypse survival where instead of managing hundreds of units in the space of a long period, you managed 5-10 survivers of a zombie outbreak we're alive style, and thus could deal with things like their happiness, their abilities with different jobs from searching ruins to slaying zombies, setting up power lines, building walls etc, even their entertainment and relationships.

@morecoffee, Yep, I also played Castaways for hours, and it is an expantion on the same principles that I'd like to see. For example in castaways, there are only a limited number of possible types of map tyle, you can't discover say rare deposites of resources, you don't have to care about ordinary things like the people's clothes and furniture for their houses, or things like making tools for the various jobs,  or about seasons, and the disasters are limited. Also, all your population are equally good at everythin, and don't care if they slave away in the fields all day or sit around making wine. I would also love to see a game take the development phase a little further than castaways, letting you construct better versions of specific buildings and improve what you already have. Castaways is certainly the closest we've come to the style of thing I was thinking of, I'm just slightly disappointed in the fact that in the four years Castaways has been out nobody has done anything even in the same genre, (accept possibly Sengoku Jidai, which is heavily based on battle)..

@Guitarman, the game of thrones books are awsome! some people are less keen on them for reasons of slowness or being too dark, but I really enjoyed them, the book I mentioned however "world of ice and fire" isn't exactly a usual book in the series, it's a rather long history of the world the series takes place in which shows in detail a lot of the background such as where various peoples came from and the doings of various noble houses before the start of the series. Probably not everyone's cup of tea sinse I know not everyone has quite the apitite for background details as I do, though I personally really enjoyed it (my new sig is taken from there).
I don't know about book share sinse it's not available in the Uk, ---- and anyway I'm not sure if book share does audio books or e books, however audio readings of all of the game of thrones books (including the world of ice and fire history), exist read by Roy Defreese and can be found on audible.com or similar.