2014-11-16 23:30:49

Hi all.
Various people mostly family have got on to me about trying to budget my funds, and track how much I earn spend, save, etc.
I have never had up to now to do this, probably won't really have to do this till I leave home but people want me to be prepaired.
I know I may sound like a dumb bastard but I have no idea how to do this.
some people use excel.
My excel is excel xp when I used it and while I did the course for an intro to excel, I found it quite hard to the point that people that were supposed to assist me with things didn't give me the shortcuts and feedback I needed and did it all for me.
As a result I know about excel in theory but can't use it and my knowledge is out of date by at least 10 or so years now.
Firstly how is all this tracking done and how to do it.
2.  I assume I need to read this crap later so I assume I need to put it into some sort of table or something.
So what do I use.
Do I get an accounting program or something there are accessable stuff round apparently, do I use my ancient out of date coppy of office xp which is probably insecure  or do I use one of the free open office or libre office packages or what do I use.
Right now the only thing I will use this for is my budget I have no real use for excel otherwise.
I have jarte pluss which I got for my word processer and for what I do that's enough.
Ideally I'd like something which I can use long term.
The ms office is fine but I have to keep updating it all the time as it goes out of date the others who knows.
I need it nvda accessable, I do have supernova 12 I guess to so it doesn't matter but I am not likely to buy jaws just so I can budget things.
Does anyone know what to do as I would appreciate a bit of help in this matter.
That and the fact that a few of the people that ask me will keep nagging me till I do something.
thanks

2014-11-17 00:04:07

Hello Crashmaster.
No this is not a dumb question. I am no good at math and hate charts and graphs and things like that. So here's what I do. Every month I take $200 or $100if I can't afford to lose that extra hundred at the moment then I put it away. You'd be surprised how much money you can save by doing this. Now the money you have left over in your account just write down the things you think you might need during the next month as far as food clothes or whatever. If there are things you want but don't really need you should wait on them so that you have an okay amount of money at the end of the month. Doing this kind of thing every month can really help you save and manage your money a lot better than any horrible complicated chart or graph could.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-11-17 00:49:05

thanks guitarman.
That's one way I sertainly can do it.

2014-11-17 01:47:38 (edited by brad 2014-11-19 19:43:22)

Hi crashmaster.

The way my friend amin does it, and I do the same is this.

If you have online banking this will work, or an app on your phone. If not sorry but this won't work.

What you do.

First as guitarman said. put away 100 a month that's great.

Second. Once you've bought something, or if you know something is going to go out of your bank, like a phone bill, check your bank a day after to make sure you know how much you've got.

Another thing you could do is try to  buy more veg and less meat since meat is kind of expensive and veg is cheaper.

Or, by frozen veg. This is the kind of thing I'd do if i was on a budget which I will be when i move. Although I like veg and fruit and juiceing so think it's the best thing, whilst others will think it's not. So it's up to you how to split your money into certain sections but the putting 100 away each month is great and every time you buy something check your bank a day after, either online, on your  phone or if you can't do that, go to the bank itself, although I'd not recommend that methadone.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-11-17 03:22:16

I use notepad for everything. Including a file mysteriously titled "budget.txt"

Of course, my parents don't understand crap, so I have no idea what money for what things comes out of what account. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still auto-paying on a student loan that got bought by a different institution, which would mostly just be $130 down the drain every month.

I like notepad. If you need something more complicated, it'd be trivial for someone to toss together a small program that can read a text document and do calculations and junk.

Also, "yay vegies" is right. At least where I am, those are impressively cheap.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-11-17 03:48:58

First up security isn't that big a concern since you're not actually putting your account details in, all you need is the amount of money you're spending on things. Whether you do this in notepad or in a spreadsheet is up to you, if you don't use a spreadsheet you will need to use the calculator program or similar however.

The first and most important step is to work out your usual incomes and outgoings. Find out how much money each income source you have gives you and how often. I work on a monthly basis so I figure out how much I get from each source in a month. Then add these together, this will give you how much money you receive in a month.

Next find out how much and how often your regular bills and other costs are, some things like food you can't be completely accurate with so you'll have to make an estimate and I prefer making a generous estimate to give myself a safety margin since it's better to underspend than overspend, but as far as possible try to keep this accurate. Same principle as with your income, list the costs out and add them up.

The next step is to work out how much money you have left over, just subtract your costs from your income. If this is negative you obviously have a problem and need to looka at your costs again to see if you can cut anything. This is as far as I go but if your family wish you to you can work out a running total of how much surplus you have from month to month and factor in any occasional costs like quarterly bills or any large purchases you need or wish to make.

It's worth doing from time to time even if only to see where your money is being spent and whether there is anything you no longer need to be paying for. You might look down the costs for example and realise you hardly use Netflix for whatever reason and you might as well drop it, or something along those lines.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-17 06:12:05

To begin with creating a monthly budget is very simple and does not require any specialized software. Yes, you can use Excel, Libre Calc, or some other spreadsheet, but honestly it isn't necessary to do it for a simple monthly budget unless you really want or need the calculation abilities of the software. All you really need is a basic text editor like Notepad and a calculator.

First, you would begin with writing down a starting balance. I.E. the amount of money in your bank account at the time of starting your budget.

Second, you will write down the balance of your income from work, disability income, etc. That will be added to the balance each month which will help you get an idea of how much you have in the bank for that month.

Third, write down all of your reoccurring bills such as TV subscription, internet, phone bill, whatever. As these tend to be rather consistent from month to month this will be subtracted from your balance which will give you an idea of how much you have left for other purchases.

Next, set aside some money for necessary expenses such as food, toilet paper, shaving cream, whatever. Once you figure out how much you have to spend on those items subtract that from the balance, and you'll find out how much you have for spending on non-essential items.

If you are frugal and don't want to just blow your money on games, movies, music, etc you can put back 50 to 100 or so per month which you can put in a savings account for a new computer, screen reader upgrade, or just have on hand when and if you need it.

Bottom line, as long as you write down how much you make and how much you spend from month to month in a text editor you'll be able to keep track of your money better. Once you have a record of your expenses and income you can budget it to save money or make better plans how to redistribute your money to make the most of it. While living at home it might not seem like a big deal, but should you start living on your own it is a skill you will need. So its best to figure out what works for you now rather than having to learn the hard way when you really need it.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-11-17 08:04:52

Thanks all.
I have note pad here so I can use that, I have an old coppy of office xp so I guess I can use that, though what is the best and most accessable office suite, this may give me an excuse to do more with office files, I havn't needed to do anything but since I am probably going to be doing a lot more web work they usually work with office documents.
I have jarte which I upgraded to jarte pluss and I use that for a lot of viewing mainly but its really just a lite processer and if I am doing anything heavy, then I may have to use something.

2014-11-17 11:28:59

To be honest Sean it sounds like your over complicating a little. Budgiting just means checking what is coming in, vs what you spend. You can do this fairly easily at your bank, with a bank statement, doing online banking if you wish or whatever. I do mine in my head, though alternatively you can just right the numbers down in any old program and add them up.

I myself go to the bank occasionally and measure my encome support vs my billls just to check what I'm doing though it usually works out fine in my case sinse I don't tend to use much money on stuff, heck, even living in a small flat is a bennifit sinse my electricity and heating bills are far less.

What I would personally do is take your income then take off everything that is automatically paid out, ie, water, electricity, gas, tax if you pay it, possibly your phone and internet. Then, look at what you have left anddecide what your going to spend on what.

I don't personally make a set food budgit, or a set budgit for necessities sinse it is usually better to buy such things in bulk. For example I have several tins of baked beans in my cupboard which I bought in a pack of 8 as it was cheaper than doing so individually. I will buy various things to go with them over the while, but having them bought in bulk takes off the general price. similarly, instead of budgiting for toilet paper as a necessity, I grabbed two packs of 8 and stick them in my out cupboard. Those will last a good long while, so i don't need to factor them in individually.

Similarly, with meat, it would be very expensive to buy a pack of mince beef everytime I wanted to make chilly, but when I last went to the supermarkit Minced beef was on offer in huge 1 kg bags at £5 for two, and considering each bag will make me enough meals (with some cooking sauce and some kidney beans chucked in), for two or three days, then budgit wise it's far easier to do that way.

This is why I personally tend to budgit based on "necesary outgoings" vs "disposable amounts" and in the disposable colum count pretty much everything else.

Btw, if you really! want to save money, the best way is not to spend it big_smile.

This is actually why I usually myself happen to have money for things when things come up, such as my recent Victor stream, simply because I don't tend to spend very much normally. Of course it does help that in Britain I think the ennifit situation is much better than in some parts of the world, and that of course I do have the advantage of living in a councel property and thus having no rent, (or rather my housing bennifit pays the rent), though I still have utility bills.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-17 11:41:51

Thanks dark
Well it appears that the general consensus round here and on other lists in new Zealand is to write down everything in a text file or several text files.
A couple places have recommended using a spreadsheet, I have yet to see what the official response from the local organisation is, one user gave me an online website.
But text is what I may end up doing
Right now I do sometimes find myself spending a lot, over the last 3-4 months since I have just got my new account on paypal I have been rumbling on getting things, some of this is for Christmas and birthday presents however.
This will have to calm itself down so I am not ridiculous about it.

2014-11-17 12:12:11

Spreadsheets are more of an advantage for people who can see, sinse the columnized information means that a sighted person can scan for a quick spacial overvieww, so probably aren't needed if your just reading the numbers.

As I said I personally do mine mentally, but that's me, I've always liked using my memory over writing things down.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-17 20:01:56

I've found spreadsheets handy simply because it integrates both the storage of information and the maths in one place, and I can easily tweak numbers as necessary. That said I am fairly competent with Excel and very at home with making my own formulae on the fly. As usual YMMV.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-18 05:25:02

For me it is a case of whatever works. I suggested using Notepad and a calculator because that is the easiest and most accessible way to create a budget. However, I'll freely admit spreadsheets are nice and handy for a number of reasons.

As a matter of fact I do my finances in Libre Calc on Linux since it is free and comparable to Excel in functionality. The advantage of using a spreadsheet like Libre Calc or Excel over the text editor and calculator idea is that you can build formulas into the spreadsheet to do calculations such as add all of your deposits to your balance or subtract all the withdrawals from the balance. No need to manually do the calculations yourself. Plus depending on how you layout your spreadsheet there are specific columns for specific types of information which can and does make it easy to locate something quickly.

For example, let's say I buy $60 worth of stuff at Walmart. When I enter it into my spreadsheet under withdrawals I'll say Walmart, under amount $60, and then under the memo column
I'll give a one or two word description of the purchase such as groceries so I know what I spent the money on. That helps me organize the information so I can quickly go back and look where I spent my money, how much, and what it was used for. It is easier to look up things in a spreadsheet than in a text editor for the most part, and I prefer having it laid out in nice neat rows and columns myself.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2014-11-18 05:57:11

Hi.
I agree with twards last post. Personally if I was to do any budgeting, which i don't at the moment. I'd use XL because it is easier to wiz around the table format and use the formulers.

Although if you've not used Xl then it might be quite tricky. For me I just picked it up, but that's cause I like learning about programs and I took an I.T course when I went to college.

What ever works for you and gives you the results is betst. For example, I couldn't do what dark does or can do, with the adding up in his head. I'm very bad at maths.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-11-18 14:11:46

I must admit I always hated the spacial components of maths and  would much rather use my brain. Actually it used to piss off my Maths teacher sinse they'd set a problem, I'd sit down for five minutes and work out the right answer by just juggling the numbers mentally, however as soon as I was required to make graphs, columnize the information etc I always  went amazingly wrong! answers. I've always substituted for my poor spacial coordination with my memory.

I've never got how to put formulae into Xl, though I know it is possible. The only use I've ever found for xl is making gamebook maps to play the CHRONICLES OF ARBORELL GAMES LIKE TORCHLIGHT, SINSE YOU HAVE A READY MADE SET OF BOXES ALL WITH COORDINATES THAT YOU CAN WRITE ROOM DESCRIPTIONS IN :d.

Still, whatever works for you.

2014-11-19 05:03:16

Dark, creating/adding formulas for an Excel spreadsheet is quite simple. As I recall all you have to do is place an equals sign in the cell followed by your equation or formula. You can add, subtract, multiply, or divide cells which obviously makes Excel good for keeping track of money, stats, and other mathematical information because if you change the values in a specific cell that will be recalculated in your formula without you having to manually do it yourself. Excel is a wonderful program when you learn how to use it.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2014-11-19 23:29:21

Yep, I thought it was something like that, though unless I had anything too complex to do either in my head or with the odd bit of text written down I probably wouldn't look into using it for myself.

Last week I saw a program detailing some of the lives of people from Blenham estate before and during the first world war, and it did strike me much as I admire computer technology and indeed rely upon it myself, it does sometimes amaze me to think just how many professions which now simply involve the very dull process of people enslaved into just  tapping data into a computer system, were far more mentally stimulating and required far more skill in the days before computers. Clarkes, accountants, even basic shop keepers sinse they would be required to measure out purchisces such as cheese and butter and calculate all the prices themselves, heck my mum's dad apparently taught himself book keeping.

While this isn't a luddite style "oh things were better before computers", or "computers make people stupid" I do sometimes feel a bit sorry when I see people working in very low end jobs in supermarkits or at basic secritarial work where they basically just exist to deal with customers and tap out information robotically rather than having anything more interesting to learn or participate in that would actually give a reasonable job.

A friend of mine who has a degree in computer science (and is currently taking a doctorate in literature), used to work supposedly in the It data handling department of a hospital once said she could write a program to actually do her job, and would find writing the program much more interesting big_smile.

As I said, this isn't against computers or the like, it'd just be nice if computers were used to make people's lives better rather than just as a way to take all the stimulation out of people's lives in the name of efficiency, then again, with the sort of corporate world we live in, what do you expect?