2014-11-15 02:00:47

Well that moaning fellow Stewart has now done review for both Forest of the night here, and Dark water here.

I didn't really rate his comments on "forest of the night" sinse he spent most of his time commenting on how it was a william blake reference and how he personally didn't gget it but some people did (I wish he wouldn't bang the "my opinion" drumb quite so much). Actually he woffled on about that aspect ofthe episode he didn't discuss the awfulness of the plot, which surprised me. I noticed the blake reference and the fairy tale reference but really going "here's a reference" isn't a substitute for a good story, and if the idiotic writer had been doing her/his job properly it wouldn't have mattered whether people got the clever Blake reference or not.

On the other hand I like Stuart's thoughts on Dark water and mostly agree, although I myself don't see any problem with Doctor Who being shocking (remember the evil troll dolls of Spearhead from space?). I also disagree with Stuarat about characters,sinse even after Dark water I don't find Danny or Clara interesting, ---- annoying but not interesting! I'm looking forward to what he has to say on "death in heaven" sinse while I agree the afterlife stuff in dark water was interesting, I get the impression Stuart is saving his bile for next review big_smile.

@lord raven, funny you mention the dark eyes president, I hadn't noticed that I will have to check. Regarding the Rani, well to be honest she was never really a popular character, though judging by the trailer on the end of Masters of Earth (a really fantastic story that I have only just finished hearing in fact), she will be back!
I wouldn't assume she was doing anything special in the war however, not until we hear otherwise. After all last we saw of her she was stuck in the tardis heading back through time with a T rex I believe!

As to the 7th Doctor and Susan, well that was the part of the Cartmal master plan. As I remember it wasn't that the 7th doctor was going to go back to Galifrey's past, but that the other, the third adviser to rassilon threw himself into the genetic loom which created new timelords, and was reconstituted as The Doctor. Similarly, Susan was the last of the pre rassilon royal line I think, however to be honest both of those plots just occur in very obscure 7th doctor Na novels and as those are officially now set in another universe we'll need to see if the official continuity in Big Finish picks those ideas up.

With Susan at least, I'm happier with her identity remaining a mystery, just like the identity of The Doctor's original wife and child.

With the tenth Doctor not mentioning Susan, this was more due to Davies trying not to overload fans with continuity, although the references to Jenny were as close as he wished to come, and lets be honest, the mentions of Susan by the cdoctor even in the audios are infrequent.

The Doctor who reference guide found here, used to be the best place for lists of literally everything Who, novels, audios, commics short stories whatever, all with synopses (and often rather detailed ones at that). The problem is updates have been pretty infrequent for a while now, so the site is probably only complete up to 2011, stilll it'll tell you all about the Cartmal master plan and the crazy world of the new adventure novels (check Lungbarro).

I don't particularly care if River is gone or not myself, sinse other than her first appearence in Silence in the Library I just found her really irritating and quite vile. Also, I fully agree with Stuart that basically Missy was River playing another role. As I said earlier, an absolutely scary, tough as nales female master who just was! a female master would've been great,but Missy really just feels like a recycling of Moffat's usual female character, aka river, aka amy, aka Liz ten from the beast below, aka that woman with the eye patch who lead the silents or the church or whatever, aka most appearences of Clara, aka Madam depompador, (though that one as the first and probably as a relatively accurate idea of what a french high class courtisan was like is possibly a bit more excusable).

So, River back? meh. Apparently moffat has talked about axing the series, and while I would prefer to Axe Moffat (and I don't just mean fire him as producer), I actually wouldn't mind at this point, sinse I'm getting a little sick of the thing pretending to be doctor who not being doctor who, and seeing such a potentially great Doctor as Capaldy treated like an Idiot, plus of course, maybe then Big Finish could get the legal rights.

Apparently the Bbc talked about finishing Doctor Who after Tenant and Russel left, sinse Tenant was so! popular and so well liked they thought they couldn't top that. In a way, I'd actually rather they had.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-15 14:08:07

About the president in Dark Eyes:
At the end of Dark Eyes 1 the timelines are altered due to the Dalek time controller's orders to kill a certain time Lord.
So, we don't know if this male unnamed president is still there after the changes brought by the shifting timelines.

I read a summary of the series 8 finale and I wondered what this Episode was supposed to be.

If some writer wants to have a female master, that's ok.
But could someone of them at least have found a good explanations to how exactly the master got into the Primary universe since I thought that he was dragged into the falling Gallifrey with Rassilon in "The End of Time".
So it would have been nice to see how and when he got out and how he became a woman.
Moreover, if she came from Gallifrey, she should have known where it is so that the Doctor could have found it.
Ever since I saw the 50th anniversary Episode "the day of the Doctor", I hoped that if they were going to bring a happy ending to the time Lords, we would see the Doctor looking for them and maybe finding them.
In my opinion, this entire series 8 should have been the usual settling in to this new Regeneration and after all post Regeneration Problems were solved, it should have been the search for the time Lords...
And while we were talking about other classic elements, I wonder why no writer of new Who wanted to bring back the two Guardians...

2014-11-15 14:52:25

Well asking the Moff for explanations is rather like asking a Dalek to do high kicks, a cyberman to get in touch with it's feelings or a Silurian to go for a hair cut, ie, so against their nature it boarders on the impossible! So female master back,as the eleventh Doctor might say "cos the master is cool!" big_smile.

In fairness with Galifrey's location, I thought it was that Missy was just yanking the Doctor's chain, rather than she didn't know, though again that is a plot that is weerd.

After Day of the Doctor, I did at least expect the next series being taken up with finding Galifrey as you said, however the eleventh Doctor found it through that weerd dimentional crack that all of those random other races were trying to besiege or something in the very very very horrible Time of the Doctor, accept that apparently now, no he didn't and he doesn't know where it is, ---- so, mmm, what was the point of that hole huge war thing and the Doctor's magic regeneration? And where did he get those new regenerations from in a very throw away line if the Time lords weren't behind that crack?

Suffice it to say, Moffat must die!

I will have to check the events of Dark eyes, sinse I thought the president only existed in the possible altered future, not in the real timeline where romana was president, indeed I believe the Engines of war shows Romana as president during the Time war and then explains how Rassilon got back from the Divergent Universe to take over from her.

As to the guardians, I'm actually slightly relieved that New Who hasn't picked up on them, sinse we all know Moffat would arse them up really badly. I loved how they appeared in the recent key 2 time stories, especially with them being depicted as not good and evil but order and chaos and having sort of a friendly rivalry. While I thought The Chaos pool was a bit over the top in terms of Princess Astra being a segment to the key and the hole business with The Grace, the two guardians really were! awsome, and I hope we see them again, actually having a story which reacquainted Turlough and the Dark Guaridan, especially with his new rather informal attitude would be a good direction.

One thing i was discussing with a friend of mine yesterday, was that why does the Doctor never arrive at fixed points in time on alien planets? We know he can't alter earth's history because we've been told about fixed points in time and manifestly from our perspective it is history, but it'd be great if he arrived on some alien planet during a war or a plague or similar and actually found the same thing, that he couldn't act due to that planet's history being fixed. It might also be a nice dilemma for one of his companions for once being in a position of not knowing the outcome but having to watch bad stuff happen as a fixed point in time, and could be a good way of a companion getting an idea of what the Doctor's perspective on these types of things is.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-15 23:19:46

I can tell you what I got from End of Time, Day and Time of the Doctor:
I am not sure if that is correct though.
Night of the Doctor:
the war has already started and the eighth Doctor doesn't want to fight until the Point where gets a "controlled" Regeneration into the War Doctor.
At some Point, the known Events happen, lost emperor, running master and such.
At some Point, Rassilon leads and wants to end the war his own way.
Then the War Doctor steals the Moment and wants to use it.
Up to the Transition between the tenth and eleventh Doctor, we and all other races in the universe think that Daleks and time Lords are totally destroyed and also erased from the past.
In Day of the Doctor, the War Doctor activates the Moment and it sends him into his personal future to see what would happen to him if he actually kills his People.
He mets his tenth and eleventh self and they depart after stopping another Alien Invasion of earth.
Now the tenth and eleventh Doctor go back to the last day which is supposedly impossible due to the war being time locked.
The Doctors alter history to prevent the destruction of Gallifrey and send it into a pocket universe.
But the later incarnations of the Doctor can't remember that.
When the tenth Doctor faces Rassilon on earth in "end of Time", he destroys the Bridge with a gun causing Gallifrey to fall back into the war where he thinks that it gets blown up.
But not only falls Rassilon, but the Master gets dragged with him...

In Time of the Doctor, a strange Signal is sent which strangely all races of the universe fear (since no one is supposed to know that the time Lords still exist).
So they attack the planet on which the Signal is located.
The Doctor Comes to the planet and he figures out that the Signal is the question "Doctor Who?".
The last crack (Explosion of the tardis in series five finale) is on that planet and through that the message Comes into the Primary universe.
The doctor fights off all enemies and gets old since he is apparently in his 13th incarnation, because the war doctor Counts and the creation of the other human tenth doctor also Counts as a (stopped and moved) Regeneration.
His companion contacts the time Lords and tells them that they don't Need him to answer them with his real Name and she asks them to help.
Then shortly before the Doctor dies, energy is sent through the crack which restores the Doctor and later Forces a new Regeneration.
But the crack was expended and no one knows where Gallifrey actually is...

Now, Missy had to come from somewhere.
My opinion is that she must have come from Gallifrey.
I can't believe that if she came from it, she couldn't lead the Doctor to ist new Position as seen in the series 8 finale.
But if she was deliberately misleading the Doctor, we would have to ask for what purpose.
But if she knew where the planet was supposed to be, then we would ask ourselves why it was not at this Position in time.
But I wonder how she got into the universe since all cracks were sealed up and the master was dragged into the time lock with Rassilon in End of Time.
At least that's what I thought happened there in this Scene...

2014-11-16 00:23:06

To be honest all of this stuff just seems rather pointless to me, and never mind cracks in time there are so many plot holes that it's a wonder the universe doesn't explode! For example the really simple one, if the destruction of galifrey caused the tenth and eleventh Doctor's to go back in time to prevent it being destroyed, don't you have a classic temporal loop? It's just like Rose in Father's day, she goes back in time and saves her father, meaning her father isn't dead which negates the reason for going back in time.

And it can't be that nobody knew galifrey wasn't still around sinse if all those races were supposed to be declaring war on that crack or whatever, obviously everybody did! know it was still around in a pocket dimention.Also, how come the Doctor doesn't know where galifrey is now when he said it was in a pocket dimention and the timelords magically gave the Doctor new regenerations? has someone moved it?

And while we're on the subject, if it was possible for the doctors to magically and instantly save galifrey, didn't any of the other timelords think of this? 

And this is aside from the pure story telling dramatic potential. All the business of the ninth doctor refusing to wipe out the humans and daleks together, or the tenth Doctor trying to make out to the Master that they were the only timelords left, or Dalek KArn going insane through travelling into the time war to retrieve Davrros. well all of that was pretty pointless wasn't it if ooooh look, Galifrey wasn't destroyed! One thing I did like about the time war is just how much it shook the universe up and changed the character of The Doctor himself. The Doctor wasn't just a fugitive timelord with a mostly disdainful humour about his own people, he is now the last of his kind, the relic of a dead civilization, in a universe that was so harsh that even a people with as much power as The time lords were not immune to destruction. It also lends a lot of credence both to the Doctor's battles with the Daleks going right back to the first few stories, and to the way the Timelords were shown as a society, a stratified and rigid group set in their traditions and their thinking and political schemes. Now proved to be unable to cope with the very changes and time they propose to be lords of.

For all of these reasons, I personally disregard that idiotic retcon of the time war, and indeed the rest of the Moffat's stupid plots, he should be shot into a black hole!

I will read Engines of War because I've heard it is a good story, but I still as I said prefer the time war as this mysterious event, and prefer to imagine that the Doctor in the Time War was Mcgan.

2014-11-16 01:05:35

If you want to look at the eighth Doctor, then you should look into the Eighth Doctor books.
In the books compared to the TV movie, he is not half human or something (I haven't actually seen the movie to comment on that).
But in the books you also have a sort of time war, but obviously not against the Daleks but against Faction Paradox.
At ist end Gallifrey is also destroyed and the Doctor's Tardis is damaged so that he is stranded in the 9th century on earth and has to actually stay on earth until he reaches the present time around the year 2000 or so.
Later (in the last eighth Doctor book) it is revealed that before Gallifrey was destroyed but that the Doctor downloaded a copy of the entire Matrix into his head which caused him to Forget other things and up to that last book he isn't actually the last time Lord.
Four or five others are still there and one of them breaks the blocks on the Doctor so that he can remember.
And since he has (in theory) Access to the data of the time Lords he can restore them.
Unfortunately the Eighth Doctor books end with a cliffhanger and another Invasion atempt of earth.
Moreover, Mr. Davis stated several times that his last time war was to be placed after the "second war in heaven" (Name for the faction paradox conflict).
This might have changed now since we saw "Night of the Doctor" which gave a Regeneration Scene for the eighth Doctor which did not exist inthe Davis era.
It did not exist in the books, because the range was conveniently ended with the Launch of the 2005 TV series and the Big Finish Audios at that time were no where near a Point of a Regeneration Scene for the Eighth Doctor.
I liked the Davis era, like you.
But after four seasons (at which Point it was not yet known that Math Smith would follow), I had hoped that with all the hints, there would have been explanations, since we saw Rassilon and the Master.
I had hoped that after the tenth Doctor's Regeneration the fate of Romana and Leela would have been explained, since some Companion Chronicles of Big Finish implied that she actually somehow escaped the time war.
And since it was never (on Screen) stated if Susan was a time Lord or not, the question of if the Doctor was the last of his Kind could have been adressed differently.
What is also interesting is that in "the Gallifrey Chronicles" it is supposedly stated that in the future of the (then eighth Doctor) there would be three "ninth" doctors possibly in the same "Primary" timeline and not only the possibility of three possible ninth doctors.
Some People in the Big Finish Forums think that the Shalka Doctor from "Scream of the Shalka" would be a (possibly the Primary) ninth doctor if there never was a time war...
Maybe the book referenced that when the three ninth doctors were mentioned...

Back to the president of Gallifrey:
In Dark Eyes 1 there is a male president, allthough with no Name.
He is there up to the Point where the Dalek Time Controller orders the Extermination of Straxus thereby preventing the creation of Kotris.
This erases Kotris from existence and causes the timelines to shift and alter.
Unfortunately, there is no president seen in Dark Eyes 2.
I also doubt that we will see one in Dark Eyes 3 which will come out this month.
I hope that Big finish will at least bring an origin Story for the Viyrans, since they apeared in several titles now.
I wonder, does anyone know if Big Finish did ever make an actual Regeneration Scene for any time Lord, or was it only mentioned that someone would Need to Regenerate or that someone was unable to do so?

2014-11-18 14:28:30

Well as to the Eighth doctor adventures, I'm not actually that bothered to be honest sinse it sounds like, as with a lot of the novels outside the main bbc range the plots all got a bit screwy! I've read the synopses, and it struck me the novel range really lost out from not having the presence of a main producer of the series to be a steadying hand. It's the same problem with a lot of fanfics, they need their excesses taken in by an over all range, indeed this is likely what went wrong with moffat, rather than being the guiding hand to other authors he let his own crazy ideas run rampent.

That is probably why those particular plotlines got shunted to another universe.

As regards the three 9th doctors, One is Ecleston, one is the Shorca doctor, and one is the spoof encarnation from the commic relief special curse of fatal death, however sinse Fatal death was definitely a spoof and involved the doctor regenerating goodness knows how many times, I don't see how that can be actually true.
it is rather funny though, you can see it Here on Youtube

Regarding the Time War, yep, I was hoping for more answers with the Mat Smith era too, though whether we get them in Bf I don't know. I just got Dark eyes three yesterday, I've not heard it yt but I do plan to, in particular I want to see what happense with the eminance plotline, though I'm probably going to have to go back to Tardis Data core and look up what happened with the first two series just to bring myself back up to speed.

I like the eminance as a concept, I just wish they'd got a better voice, sinse it's such a theatrical villain especially for something that should sound completely and utterly alien.

As to whether bf have done regenerations, I can think of a couple, like the timelord  in circula time and Andred in Gallifrey chronicles,  but none of the Doctor though they have done in the Doctor Who unbound audios, ---- although those definitely are! alternate universes as that was the point of the series.

With what happened to Romana, well maybe the next galifrey series will suggest as much, however we do know where Leela ended up. Remember the Companion chronicles where she  said she left galifrey and ended up held captive by the Zedni? Before becoming a time vampire, a being outside time and then being reborn into the back of the mind of a little girl as her imaginary friend.

2014-11-19 20:51:25

Well Stewart has done his usual moan on Death in Heaven Find it here

He has some rather interesting things to say about the prominance of the villains and the fact that the emotions weren't there, however I disagree with him that  being emotionally and interlectually flat isn't a reason to hate the finale. If Doctor Who isn't engaging on an emotional, interlectual or stylistic level then it's not doing anything, which for a series about an alien who travels through all time and space really is death!

I also personally never was! in the Moffat camp, I thought things started slipping right from the  first Eleventh Doctor Episode onwards.

2015-01-05 13:38:28

Appologies for the threadcromancy, but Stewart has done a He who moans review of the christmas special which can be found here

I've not actually seen it yet sinse we recorded it on christmas day, though I'll be watching it tomorrow with my dad while my mum is at work. I have however been listening to the audios, and by god they're good! I'm amazed that audios which get really bad reviews from people like Jo ford, still tend to be really well plotted in comparison to the Moff's usual brand of awfulness, indeed while I can think of a couple of less good stories, Dark husband, (though it had it's funny moments), Cobwebs, Into the dark, Lirker's at sunlight's edge, none are really that bad.

I recently also heard the Graceless series which seems to have dropped off the map, or at least they finished it and have never referd to it again. While I did feel it was a bit torchwood in parts, ie, "oooh look this is morally ambiguous and has strange relationships involving a man and two girls" I did like the way that Zara and Aby (or Amy), came across as totally alien and a bit wrong in what they did, even when trying to do the right thing. The grace themselves were also a great idea being a totally morally ambiguous entity who just played with the universe for the sake of restoring balance (the fact they were voiced by David warner didn't hurt either).

I've not seen many series pull off the "ultimate power" thing, but Graceless did it quite well, for all I wish some of the plots like the one about Zara's daughter joy got a bit better resolution than they did. Also, I really didn't get where the doctor was if indeed the two tracers were risking destroying the entirety of time and space, indeed Abby suggests trying to find him and Zara just says "oh why bother!" It'd actually have been better if there was some reason given for his absense like the two tracers had by mistake removed Gallifrey from existance.

Still, a nice series even if a bit short. I also have a nasty suspicion I'll end up not liking the christmas special, but we'll see.

2015-01-05 15:49:24

I haven't seen the Christmas Episode.
But what I read was not that good about it.
I mean, series 8 ended with many questions especially the Location of Gallifrey, since the Doctor didn't find it.
It is not explained in the next Episode why the planet was not found and whether the new master did deliberately tell a false Location or if she really thought she had the right Location.

Let's hope that the upcoming Audio stories will give more answers to other questions.
I still wonder how Gallifrey: Intervention Earth will be featuring the new Romana since we haven't seen or heard her regenerating and her future self from Gallifrey 6 is supposed to be a Matrix projection.

And then there is Dark Eyes 4 with the Master, the Eminence and the Dalek Time Controller.
I wonder how that will go down.
Allthough I seriously wonder how These Events are placed chronologically.
The Problem is that Dark Eyes 1 had a male president and Narvin in Dark Eyes 3 is there talking with the Doctor but you don't get any clues to whether he has already done what ended Gallifrey 6 and potentially caused the time war or not.
I also would like to know how the time Controller still exists if Events from Dark Eyes 1 were erased and his rescue by the now removed time Lord also never happened.

And while we are talking about Audio stories, does anyone know what Big Finish did with "Prisoners of Fate" and "the Doctor's first Tardis"?
Why was "The beginning" not linked to that storyline?

2015-01-05 22:17:02

About the christmas episode I'll see tomorrow, though to be honest as I said earlier in this topic the lost galifrey thing made no sense to me sinse it was supposed to be in that dimentional pocket thing seen in time of the Doctor, ---- after all if it wasn't what was the huge war about and where did the doctor supposedly get his regenerations from.

I'm looking forward to the next galifrey and darkeyes myself. i think though that the male president of dark eyes 1 was erased at the end of that story given the reset. Dark eyes is definitely set after galifrey 6 because in Dark eyes the time war is beginning hence the timelords use of the eminance against the Daleks. I also believe Romana was not president during the time war either, indeed it's possible that the intervention earth special might explain where Romana was sinse at the moment I'm not sure if we know what she was doing during the time war, indeed it is possible that her regeneration happened before or during the war itself, certainly the Tardis data core wiki lists the president from Dark eyes as after Romana, and I don't believe she was president at the end of galifrey series 6.

As to a third encarnation, I still believe it'll be the same Tray we saw in the matrix projection, simply because the Matrix has her biodata so probably would be able to accurately predict her next regeneration, also more practically, brigs has already got an actress lined up for the part who'd be willing to come back big_smile.

It would be a real stunner if Bf actually went to the lengths of having Romana killed and regenerate, just the same way it'd be a real hit if they showed how Ace left the 7th Doctor, and now that the novels are officially not in the same continuity they could easily do so though whether they will or not I don't know.

2015-01-06 00:41:24

The chronology of the Events before the war seem a bit strange.
In Gallifrey 6 Romana II is still president of the Primary timeline.
The Trailer for Intervention Earth however suggests that she regenerated between the Gallifrey and Intervention Earth.

About Ace:
She is and was on Gallifrey after leaving the Doctor.
That is fact, since the Doctor said so in Unit Dominion.
And the newest Bernice Summerfield Story showed Ace with Bernice and the seventh Doctor after she already had been on Gallifrey for some time.
I wonder how Bernice actually fits into the Audio continuity if her travels with the seventh Doctor (starting with Love and War) actually never happened in the Audio universe since the Virgin books are supposed to be in their own continuity.

Regarding Dark Eyes and the timeline:
True that the president might have been erased during the time shift at the end of Dark Eyes 1.
But isn't it true that Gallifrey 6 suggests that Narvin ordered the Events of Genesis of the Daleks and that his Action immidiately started the war?
If so, how come that it is also suggested that the Dark Eyes series seem to be placed after Gallifrey 6 (with no Romana)?
And I also wonder if the Eighth Doctor actually knows that Narvin caused his trip to the creation of the Daleks in the past?

I also wonder how the Dalek time Controller can exist since he was supposed to fall into a singularity in the final Episode of season four of the Eighth Doctor series.
If he himself ordered the previous incarnation of the time Lord who would rescue him killed, he could never have been rescued.
And we know that the time Controller remembers the old timeline from Dark Eyes 1 and was still present in the rewritten timeline of Dark Eyes 2.

2015-01-06 03:15:19

Your correct on unit dominion, I know Ace ends up on galifrey, it'd just be nice to see the point when she actually leaves the 7th Doctor perminantly, perhaps with an idea of where she ends up eventually.
About the benny stuff, I suspect it's precisely because the virgin books have been discounted that bf are now recording some of the novels like love and war, though to be honest as I've said previously because the audios are so wrapped up with the novels I could never get into the Bernice summerfield stuff, one minute she's an archaeologistt working for a galactic university, then she's suddenly on the braxiatel collection doing something vaguely shifty,, and somehow she has a time ring that takes her anywhere though this gets forgotten about, and her husband is from modern day earth accept that she's made to have an affair and get pregnant or something with someone else, then the collection is attacked by somebody or other and suddenly she's fighting daleks. Yes, I could lookup all the synopses and information but it just annoys me to have an audio series that is so disconnected and can't tell a coherent story, hence I rather gave up with those around series 7.

While  Narvin sending the 4th Doctor to Scaro to erase the Daleks was sort of the first shot in the time war (or second after the Daleks invaded the axis and tried to distroy galifrey across reality), any war has phases of escalation, indeed it's sinse been suggested that the architrix incident when the daleks first invade Galifrey in the appocalypse element ties into the time war just as an example of escalating timelord/dalek hostility.

I get the impression from Narvin now back working for the cia in Dark eyes that dark eyes is quite a while after Galifrey 6, ---- for a start Galifrey must be fairly well rebuilt to start ventures seen in the first darkeyes or to start manipulating the eminance. Thus, I suspect Galifrey intervention will go some way to bridging this gap, and might also show Romana laying down the reigns of power and the male president seen in Dark eyes taking over, ---- assuming that timeline wasn't entirely erased.

Ditto with the Dalek time controller, I suspect there is more to learn on that one particularly with how in Dark eyes the timelord's future projections of the universe show it ruled by the eminance (a major shift will have to occur for the time war to happen). I suspect the Dalek time controller has similar abilities for remembering and navigating negated timelines as the Doctor, especially sinse it appears even some eleventh doctor novels.

Personally to be honest I hope the bf audios actually get to the real time war and just show things implode into a chaotic mess as the 10th octor said in the end of time. nothing that anyone could describe of the time war could equal our imagination on the subject, a war that transcends reality and completely changes the destiny of the universe from the fate of earth to the way the universe itself ends, it's a pretty huge deal and I dislike the idea of it all just tying back to essentially a big space battle, (and the less said about the Moff's ridiculous retcon the better).

2015-01-06 09:01:30

I've one major complaint about the christmas special, spoiler warning ahead...

Aaarrrgh, I thought we got rid of the bloody woman then yet again she's right back there as if nothing happened, bouncing in and out of the series like some kind of demented space hopper. I'm sorry but Clara just needs to piss off already at this point, she's had so many occasions where it looked like she was going to leave then nothing happens I'm just getting really irritated.

My initial impressions of Clara with Matt Smith were positive, though bear in mind she did follow Pond, and I found her strong in the first episode personally though this may just be my tastes but ever since then she's just really got on my nerves.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2015-01-06 13:09:59

Not much of a spoiler there Cx2 sinse Clara's return for series 9 has been confirmed.

I rather agree with Jo ford who called her "the impossibly smug and self satisfie girl" and personaly the only good thing I could say about Clara is that she isn't amy. I'd agree I preferd the very vanilla Doctor cheer leader version of Clara who was with the eleventh Doctor to the smug, bitchy teacher from hell version who was with the twelth, but that's sort of like saying I prefer to eat cardboard as opposed to ground glass (sorry but series 8 clara really got up my nose, even if not quite as much as Amy pond).

It's actually amazing just how good even the worst audios are in comparison to the series.

I will doubtless have a good rant or two on the christmas special later today.

2015-01-08 21:50:49

Well like He Who Moans said, at this point the sheer number of false exits makes it feel like Moffat is just trolling us. When Clara finally goes I think a lot of people will simply say "about bloody time" thus robbing any potential impact they could squeeze out of the event, I already feel like that now so imagine how bad it'll be after another series of her.

That's all assuming they don't end up in a death spiral leading to new Who getting canned which could happen if Moffat doesn't watch his step. The Who brand has a hell of a lot of good will but even that won't last forever.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2015-01-09 00:13:24

Well I've not seen the christmas special yet due to unexpected things coming up on tuesday and my mum going to hospital for an opperation on Wednesday, but  I agree on false  exits. When Rory was removed from history and supposedly died in the silurian episode of season 5 I thought "oh this is finally getting interesting" then of course that got ran into the ground.

New who generally has a real problem with characters exiting, which has just got worse under the moff.

As for cancellation, to be honest I actually wish the Bbc had done what they were thinking of doing and canceled the series after time of the  Doctor. Far better to go out on a high with the most popular doctor of Modern times confronting his own people and melancholy about his death than drag things on forever. If the series was canceled tomorrow I wouldn't be  sorry, indeed as I've said before I no longer consider any of the moff doctors canon, and hay, if the series was! canceled maybe big finish could pick up the license, ---- now that would! be awsome.

Oh, and for the record Bf does! exit characters, albeit I do rather wish they'd exited Hex in Gods and monsters rather than dragging him back for another trilogy to give him  a happy ening (though the 7thDoctor as match maker was amusing), and it's quite nice that though maggy Stables sadly died, the awsome Evelyn smythe got her propper exit moment from the  Tardiss bringing her travels to a satisfying conclusion.

While a couple of assistants have been a tad short changed, notably  Erimem and C'riz, who really should've stuck around for longer, and a couple of others go on slightly too long, notably Charley pollard and the 8th Doctor, (though when she meets up with sixy things are different again), Bf really does! handle their companions far better than the tv series, then again Bf could  blow their noses better than anyone working under the Moff, may he be  exterminated!

2015-01-09 00:42:53

What I did not get was why the current era especially series 7 of Doctor Who did Play with the question of who the Doctor actually is and never giving any answer to the Thing.
I mean if everyone in the universe feared the question "Doctor Who?", I would have liked to see the answer.

For the plot with the time war:
While some hints existed in Big Finish stories that Leela escaped and lived past the war, they were obviously not confirmed on Screen.
If you accept that the Doctors saved Gallifrey and put it into another universe, couldn't this make a Story about redemption?
Dark, if this was properly done, wouldn't it be so bad for you?
And what good was the pre eleventh Doctor era with names of things from the war?
How can you know if a being named "nightmare child" is worse than the evil of the Daleks if you have neither seen what it did in the war, nor has the Doctor, Rassilon or the master specifically told the Viewer what the war did to the universe.
On the other Hand, what is the Problem with the space battle in Day of the Doctor?
Didn't they say that all forbidden weapons were already used up?
And didn't the time Lords in End of Time state that they were at the very edge of the war  and the time lock?
And if the battle over Gallifrey went on for hours or days, both sides would have worn down their enemie's fleets and super weapons.
I still don't get why the BBC did not make war stories either in the main Show, as a spinoff movie or series or in form of more than the one book we have...

About Big Finish:
Since the BBC only has the main book series which is mostly a stand alone Story collection, I still don't get what the original Problem was.
AudioGo made audiobooks of existing printed neww series books.
And they made the New Series Audio exclusive stories.
But if my Information is correct, both are more readings than full cast Audio Dramas...
This brings up the question why Big Finish simply can't buy the rights to new Who as Audio, or why the BBC seems to be unwilling to sell the license for it.
Especially since AudioGo is supposed to be now longer in Business I don't get what the Problem is.
On the other Hand, the BBC Eighth Doctor books and the Big Finish early eighth Doctor stories were also running around the same time and it was ok, since Big Finish made their own storyline totally separated from the books.

About Charley pollard:
While her travels with the eighth and later the sixth Doctor were nice, I still have some questions about this.
I recall the Eighth Doctor thought that Charley died.
But he later figured out that the woman he thought to be an old Charley was not her and that she still would exist somewhere.
This brings up why he never found out what happened.
Moreover the Doctor had often Problems with other People in his mind.
I wonder why his Memory of the true Story of Mila and Charley got restored to him (Eighth Doctor!).
And then there is the question of who or what the Viyrans are and why supposedly no one knows their origin.
And since the Dalek time Controller wanted and got more than one Virus, the Story should be told with the Doctor in it.

2015-01-09 08:01:12

Well the problem with the huge battle is surely the Daleks would have bases somewhere? Where do they produce new Daleks, ships, supplies for both, and the resources to make all of those possible? Militarily speaking it is utterly implausible that an attacker could be annihilated in that way without leaving something behind, and with Galifrae gone who is left to mop up the remaining daleks before they can become a threat to the rest of the universe? Even a single Dalek supply base would likely be enough to rebuild the Daleks enough to threaten the galaxy without the time lords there to stand in their way, much less if there was a factory producing dalek travel units or even a dalek shipyard. Even assuming the daleks were throwing everything they had at Galifrae the support structure for their forces would still have to exist.

In the real world the support structure is usually taken over or dismantled by the victors but all that was left was the Doctor and I don'tn see even him being able to wage such a campaign against the daleks alone, remember that even a single dalek has always been portrayed as a substantial threat in and of itself.

cx2
-----

2015-01-10 04:54:36

Well the list of unanswered questions that the Moff started and never delivered on is endless, indeed when did he ever answer! one of the questions he posed in the least satisfying way? I agree with He who moans on this one, it's like a mystery story saying "And the hero finally cracks the mysterious safe to find a box marked with the letter V and a question mark! and finally opens the box  inside that is a paper with a herren and a scarf" it's just bad writing pure and simple which is why we didn't get an answer.

Weerdly enough, pretending that there are only ten doctors is remarkably easy given how little eleventh and twelth doctors have to do with the previous series beyond the od throwaway line, (the moff treated those stupid cracks in time as his own time war, shoving all the previous plot up there and ignoring it himself).

If of course series 9 proves to be amazing, or the Moff suddenly dies and is replaced by someone good, I might have to change my opinion but it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon, (sinse even if the Moff is! replaced whether the replacement can salvage the series rassilon only knows).

Regarding the time war, to be honest this is why i always preferd the idea of the time war as something unknowable that screws around with reality warping timelines, sinse Cx2 is correct on Dalek infrastructure, simply blowing up a bloody huge fleet wouldn't stop the daleks, and it's ridiculous to assume that all the timelords happened to be on Galifrey. At least for the Daleks this is supported in Bf audios like the Dalek empire series when you see the daleks have literally their own galaxy to wage war from. If however we conceive of the war as something huge and timey wimey, then you don't need to worry about those sorts of questions, after all look at all the distorted and cutoff timelines in the axis.

I also like the idea from a thematic perspective that the Time war remains a mysterious evil and something beyond knolidge, sinse indeed something that could scare the master into fleeing to the end of the univers and involve weapons like the Nightmare child that were worse than the daleks must! be bad. Nothing you could see on screen could equal what you can imagine for that, it's the same reason Sauron isn't ever seen in Lord of the rings, sinse mystery increases fear, particularly when your dealing with a war that goes beyond time and reality.

As to Leela, I wonder if we'll see her parting from Romana and leaving galifrey at the end of the galifrey series, sinse we know she winds up a captive of the Zednai. I could well believe that Romana set this up rather than having Leela involved in a war she could not win, indeed it's possible romana flees galifrey as well. this is actually where I thought the galifrey series would end when Romana, Leela and Braxiatel ended up in the axis traversing realities, sinse it got them out of the main timtimeline. that was not the case of course but maybe it's a hint on where things are going.
Regarding the  license, remember that  audio go was bbc's publishing line, and all of the new series doctor who audio books (which are actually just audio readings of printed books and often abridged), are publishe by the bbc. The bbc isn't going to split the pie any time soon while they can make money off Doctor who, after all remember that at the time the 8th doctor novels were being published and Big Finish got the rights to the series, the Bbc didn't particularly give a monkies about what happened to Doctor who anyway.

With the 8th Doctor and charley, the setup is confusing but it makes sense, I recently heard the audios.

When they get to Singapore, the Doctor initially believes that the old lady he meets on the boat in the harbour is an older charley, however she turns out to be the girl who stowed away on the ship back in 1940 who got amnesia from the Cyber controller, and thus has nothing to do with Charley other than her thinking her name is Charlotte pollard, which she did sinse she met Charley in 1940.

Charley believes she sees the Cybermen shoot down the Doctor, but as his travels with Lucy Miller (and later Molly O'sullivan), happen after this we know he doesn't die. Charley however is stranded in the far future and is picked up by the sixth Doctor. Charley is then infected with a virus that the Tardis temporal grace didn't protect her from which allows Mila to take over Charley's boddy when they land on Amethist station. Mila was a prisoner who the Daleks experimented on, testing various viruses and energies who fled to the tardis during the time of the doctor's first encarnation but due to what the Daleks had done remained insubstantial until she could infect another person with the virus and steal their body. The Tardis didn't protect Charley because Charley was an anomaly in time.
Mila then travels with the 6th Doctor disguised as Charley while Charley leaves with the Viyrans. When they meet again on earth, Charley uses the Viyran mind wipe technology (and the Doctor's concent), to alter the Doctor's memories, both removing the explanation she gave the Doctor about meeting his 8th encarnation, and changing the appearence of the girl the Doctor met in the future to Mila's original one. I'd thus guess myself that after the 8th Doctor twigs that Charley has left him in the far future, he remembers who Mila was (or at least has an idea), and doesn't attempt to find Charley again sinse he knows it would mess up his sixth self's travels with her. I will confess this wasn't my favourite resolution to the paradox of Charley, sinse amnesia always feels a bit cheap as a plot device sinse it's a little too convenient to sweep everything under the rug, though at least it's very well established that a major part of how the Viyrans operate is removing all memory of themselves from anyone they encounter. Still, it's well played on all sides, and it does lead to the Charlotte pollard series, and season 1 of that was mostly pretty good, so I'm willing to let it pass, hay it's comparatively tame in terms of the moffat's instant "oooh look, this person is really someone else's grandfather's past self and the world was destroyed, although it wasn't" type of shenanigans, sinse hay at least it does have affects on what's going on especially with the Viyrans an the Doctor and also the Daleks plague orientated plans, plus it is played out over about 14 hours of story, not all crammed into a slap dash 45 minutes.

it is conceivable the 8th Doctor might run into a future version of charley after! she finished her travels with the sixth doctor, though we'll have to see.

With the Viyrans, sinse they're now the main enemies of the Charlotte Pollard series, I think we'll get more information about who and what exactly they are and who set them on their mission to wipe out viruses there.
I'd too like to see the Dalek time controller back, but we'll just have to wait on that one as well.

2015-01-10 07:48:14

Trying not to laugh at the irony of Moffat trying to shove all the previous plot up a crack, something he would be better off doing with his current plots.

I don't think we need to see the entire time war, though having the occasional glimpse may be interesting. I agree the idea of a war that twists and warps the timelines is more appealing to me than a conventional conflict, of course it's something that would be very difficult to  portray since we really can't imagine how such a conflict would work, it's just beyond our frame of reference. I'm sure there may be conventional battles in places, especially those which are time locked simply in order to either disable the time lock or to deny a strategic position to the opposition, but that just couldn't be the sum total of the conflict.

The only way I can imagine the time war ending in remotely the fashion that it did is with the use of the moment, Galifrae would be destroyed butI can't think of any other way to so severely cripple the Daleks and prevent them from immediately taking the galaxy for themselves.

cx2
-----

2015-01-10 15:22:21

Yep, Moffat really did! stuff all Russel T davies plot up those cracks in time, that is actually not a joke, one reason why we don't get mentionnns of torchwood, the destruction of parliamentt, earth invaded by Daleks etc, heck even the master's previous appearence was only a throwaway line of dialogue with no consquence (not really the way to talk about a timeline that potentially destroyed most of humanity).

I actually find it ironic that Moffat at the moment is treating classic who as this set of sound  bights, that writing "I chesterton" on screen, or  having a metabelis christal will keep the fans happy, and yet he seems to be doing just the same with the Russel T davies era as well, having no consequences beyond the odd line of dialogue. indeed, the only species from Russel Who I can think of that Davies actually used (other than the Daleks and cybermen which are a central part of who anyway), were things from episodes he himself wrote, ie, the weeping angels and the clockwork robots from girl in the fireplace. Even the Ood only showed up in an episode by Niel Gayman.

Regarding the time war, the impression i always got from the Doctor's hints about the fall of arcadia and the nightmare child was that it was that it started with conventional battles, but then things escalated beyond the levels of reality, indeed the tenth doctor confirms this in End of time, talking of people going back in time to rewrite the consequences of battles then rewrite the rewrites, then rewrite the capability to go back etc, etc. 

The Moment I always personally imagined (and still imagine in my moffatless verse), was something amazingly destructive that hada transtemporal effect, rather like a bigger, badder and infinitely more destructive version of the Dalek time destructor seen in the Daleks master plan, a weapon that could accellerate time across an entire planet and cause it to become a wasteland devoid of life, like aging people to death in seconds.

I always imagined the moment was something like that, but on a much larger scale, heck perhaps it was the moment that caused the timelock on the war, giving erevocable consequences, not just a big planet bomb that mmm, caused the daleks to destroy each other with friendly fire, silly, silly moffat! big_smile.

2015-01-10 17:28:57

That reminds me.
If the seventh and eighth Doctor books are not in the same continuity than most of the Big Finish Audios, how and when did Romana II leave E-Space?
I mean, there was a seventh Doctor book where Berniece Summerfield and the seventh Doctor came back to the planet in E-Space where the fourth Doctor destroyed that master Vampire.
The book was a Sequel to that Story.
And since we are talking about it, how can from a Story Point of view Big finish use Bernice if the travels with the seventh doctor never happened in Audio verse?

About the new Who:
That is why I wondered why the Doctor was so sure that he was the only time Lord left (before he met the master).
And even if the time war was time locked, previous visits of other time Lords should not be erased.
If for example the current doctor traveled to a planet where he was never before and met a previous incarnation of the master there, this would still have to happen.
I mean, the Moment did not erase everything which was already part of the web of time.
And even if that is ignored, I can't think that all time Lords where on Gallifrey when the Moment might have been used to destroy Gallifrey.
Then the Doctor would have been not truly the last time Lord.
You could have other time Lords leaving the Primary universe before the destruction, you theoretically had E-Space to hide, or you could have done what the Master did, turning himself into something not time Lord and running to the end of the universe.
And regardless of how it would have been actor whise, I really can't think that the ethernals and the Guardians would allow that the war totally destroyed the universe.
And when the tenth Doctor and Rassilon had their finale, there should have been other powers like the Guardians ready to stop the time Lords returning, except the Events of "End of Time" were a fixed Point in time.

2015-01-10 20:35:25

Well with respect to  Romana and the novels, I suspect this is why Bf have started doing dramatizations of the novels, to bring those important elements into the continuity and so get a clear idea of most events, for example we already have the special telling how the 7th Doctor meets Bernice summerfield.

As to the moment, this is why it has to be something a little more major than just making gallifrey vanish. We already know the time war changed many elements in the over all timeline, and given what Zagreus says about Rassilon using the eye of harmony to anchor the web of time so that the timelords were the dominant species, even just the destruction of the eye would have a major effect. I actually wonder if the purpose of the moment was to make the mutual destruction  of the Daleks and Timelords a fixed point in time. AFter all, The Doctor does confirm in end of time that he was just as much out to stop the timelords at that point. If the Timelord's destruction was fixed, then logically neither the Doctor nor any previous timelords could've gone back and changed their own past without falling foul of the blinovich limitation affect.

With respect to The Doctor saying he was the last of the timelords, well he believed! himself to be the last but was already proved wrong by The MAster, ditto when the 9th Doctor said the lone Dalek he met in Vanstatten's vault was the last Dalek.

I do wonder, given that the master escaped The Moment's affects by making himself human if the Moment did indee do something racially weerd to the Timelords on a genetic or species wide level, indeed that would seem sort of fitting thematically with Genesis of the Daleks, trial of a timelord and all the other occasions that The Doctor has been accused of Genocide, that he must eventually wipe out the entire Dalek race plus the Timelords as well. 

I actually think The Doctor meeting another colony of survived Timelords would've been a much better series 5 plot over all, sinse the question of what status they had now they were no longer a galactic power, whether they still sought to unmake the universe and what relation the Doctor had to them could've been really quite interesting.

Regarding  higher powers, Russel T Davies confirmed that The Eternals left the Universe by their own means and returned to Eternity before the war started to avoid it's fallout. While it is conceivable that the guardians might have stopped things, at the same time the Guardians really only have power to affect what each other does, particularly sinse the Guardians as seen in The Chaos pool trilogy are portrayed much less emphatically as "good and evil" but rather "order and chaos" and what relationship the time war might have to that I'm not sure.

I do agree with he Who Moans though, much as I enjoyed various aspects of Russel's who The Doctor as space jesus and the Time lords as this surrigate order of Gods wasn't one of them, and that is something which just got a hell of a lot worse under Moffat, hell under Moffat the Doctor rarely solves problems at all Just shouts at them and says "I am the Doctor" until they go away :d.

2015-01-10 21:17:15

About Big Finish and the books:
But isn't that messed up picking at pieces of a bigger continuity if only some books are made into Audio stories?
I mean some of the upcoming novels are stand alone fourth doctor stories.
But the seventh doctor books had plotlines e.g. The Other, the ancient Gallifrey, the, the origin of the sisters of Karn, the curse on the time Lords and more.
And for the Eighth Doctor books it would have been Faction Paradox and some other Major Events.
Regardless of whether we like a certain writer or book, they are one continuity.
And going out and picking at pieces is not a good Tribute to them and their authors.
And while we are at it, how does "The Company of Friends" fit into Eighth Doctor Audio Canon, especially the Mary's Story with the two eighth doctors and the other two characters (not Bernice Summerfield)?

About the modern Who:
I know that Timing of Releases might be a factor for some things.
But if (in theory) the Doctor was not the last time Lord, why did he only meet the Master?
Surely Romana, The Rani or even Braxiatel could have found a way to escape the war.
And what I wonder is if and/or how Braxiatel got some knowledge of coming Events so he could steal the biodata Archive.
I wonder if Romana still has her copy, or was it only usable once in Gallifrey 6?
And wasn't there not at least one hint in the Virgin books that Braxiatel might be the Doctor's brother?
I don't get why the books, Audio Dramas and the TV Show are not more connected regardless of who is in Charge of the TV series.
I also wonder why the New series books are a series of unconnected books compared to the seventh Doctor and eighth Doctor books.
And this was why I wondered about the Problem with Big Finish doing current Who Audios.
I mean, AudioGo did not make new Content.
They only made book readings of existing books and some Audio only Content.
But why something like Destiny of the Doctor was not made sooner, I also don't get because that was a combination of Big Finish and AudioGo.

Now I remembered something important about the time war I forgot.
What do you think happened to Iris Wildthyme and the Obverse during or after the war?
I wonder what a in-Story Explanation of her Absence from the New Who era could be.