2014-11-05 13:31:30

Hi.
I'm going to get an iPhone soon, so I have to learn how to use iTunes with it. Where can I find a guide on using iTunes with the phone?

Have a nice day.
Francois

2014-11-05 16:38:03

Hi.

No, you do not have to use Itunes, indeed as someone who has just abandoned Itunes and bought an mp3 player I can definitely say Itunes is more trouble than it is worth, at least on Pc.

Get your Iphone, learn your way around Voiceover, play games and have fun, (check out the looktell voiceover tutorial for a great starters guide to Vo on the Iphone), and only if you think you really! need Itunes worry about tangling with it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-05 18:40:36

lol Dark, while I can appreciate how much trouble you've had, I don't think generalizing that Itunes is trouble period for everyone is necessarily a good thing. lol Many pc users have no issues with it. Having said that though... I do agree with you that there are times when Itunes makes me want to pull out every cable of my computer and do something regrettable...
At FM94, go to:
www.applevis.com
There'll be everything you need, along with forums to help you discuss should you need questions answered. Or you could always just experiment yourself and ask around here!

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-11-06 16:54:13 (edited by Sebby 2014-11-06 17:06:45)

LOL indeed Dark, you must be overjoyed!

I too have bought a Stream, in the hope that I will now actually be listening to half the stuff I have on a fairly regular basis. I can use iTunes/iOS apps, but I do clearly need to be freed from some of the torture of it. Unfortunately, RNIB Overdrive is not definitely supported, and nor are played CDs directly, or even digital talking book import, but I suppose you can use a computer for that if you really need them, or I'll see if I can use any of my external USB DVD-ROM devices.

You do still need iTunes for non-Apple content, though, despite the fact that iPhone is now more or less standalone. In other words, Audible without the Audible app, Podcasts, your own videos and music, PDF files and iBooks not bought from Apple, ringtones you've cut yourself. iTunes can also handle playlists, and various equaliser controls not directly accessible on the phone.

Edit: RNIB Overdrive got back to me; yes the books are just MP3 once downloaded, so these too will easily work on the Stream. Yay!

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-12 15:09:53

@Sebby glad you like the stream, the battery life on mine is quite astounding at the moment. it'll apparently handle podcasts though I've not tried yet, and it's easy enough to digitize cds, indeed even when I was using Itunes this is what I was doing with the Rnib stuff, (the chap I spoke to from humanware actually said it was quite common for people to do that). The stream will also handle m3u playlists too if you like that sort of thing as well, though I never cared about playlists myself and only used them in Itunes to make things play in order. The victor will handle some sorts of text files too though I never cared for reading in text anyway and never used Itunes for that.

in general I don't miss Itunes and am glad to be without it, much as I still like my Iphone for the games, aps etc. indeed I'm only keeping Itunes on my computer to backup my phone settings in case I decide to buy an Iphone six, sinse annoyingly apple killing the sidebars which buggered the tree view in Itunes 12 doesn't affect that as the sinking and backup options are available from the main file menu. To be honest I'd rather not even use Itunes for this, just give me a simple backup program, or better still, just let me copy the relevant files and back them up properly on my external harddrive, though at least this is a miner annoyence as compared to the torturous streight jacket of trying to get Itunes to work with media.

The sooner Apple stop with this stupid itunes mallarchy and just give people the freedom to use their devices how they want the better, and if apple don't, (as seems likely), well I'll just do my own thing regardless.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-14 01:55:52

I now have my Stream up and running, and can confirm that there is absolutely no need to use the provided software; you can do it all from the player, with the exceptions being so rare they might as well not qualify (advanced networking settings, podcasts not listed in a public directory). The only thing you will need help for is activating an Audible account, if you have one--but awesomely, once done, you can actually keep your AudibleActivation.sys file in your backups and just stick it in $VRAudible and it works on any SD card. Bloody marvellous!

I know for a fact that using a Stream will make life easier for me, but I also know that I will lose out on some of the convenience of having iTunes do all the work, especially for syncing positions between Mac and phone in podcasts and books. Still, on balance, control is a wonderful thing and if this means I can just carelessly pick up my player and bugger off instead of having to first organise a space shuttle takeoff which is what iTunes sync constitutes, that's great by me.

You can do backups using iCloud; you don't need iTunes for that. iCloud backups however do not include passwords. To be honest I just wipe and reinstall when a new OS release comes out, or at the very least check everything again anyway, so it makes no odds whether or not I have a backup. Time consuming, but once done it's done.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-14 15:16:31

Will I cloud backup work streight from the phone? if it will that is definitely a preferable option, then I can ditch Itunes entirely which is just what I want.

Regarding podcasts, to be honest I juse usually either download the hole lot if it is something I want to keep, or simply stream it through winamp if it is something I just want to listen to online.

Your "miss out on the convenience of having itunes do all the work" I just find a down right confusing statement, sinse I actually can't think of any bennifit from itunes at all other than phone data backups, and if that is possible another way, ---- awsome!

2014-11-14 18:05:57

Yep, iTunes isn't required for iCloud backups to work. Find them in Settings, iCloud, Storage and Backup. Be aware your keychain isn't included, and the backup is stored unencrypted with Apple. But this should be all you need to pull yourself back from the brink if something goes wrong, or transfer from one device to the next.

Doing all the work in this case means reusing existing work. For example, podcasts or Audible or app updates made once can propagate just by syncing. Since you aren't doing that, of course, you won't realise that particular benefit. No matter though, from what you're saying that isn't important and you could just as easily make your Stream's SD card the authority. I'll get used to remembering to add the extra step of updating my SD card; I just did it now, with a new Audible purchase. Perhaps, when I'm confident, I'll drop media syncing to my phone altogether; then podcasts become a Stream-only affair, and Audible goes straight from Downloads to SD instead of by way of my iTunes library. Hmm. Maybe. But not yet. smile

Ironically, the vertical integration is biting me now, not because of the difficulty of using iTunes, in fact, but because of the convenience of using Stream. Or in other words, the real problem is on the phone, and not in iTunes.

Podcasts: I keep episodes until they're listened, then toss. I'm not a podcast collector, though some people are. To me they're really just radio shows that are discontinuous in real time.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-14 19:29:56

Well I can see sincing being a different matter if your on a mac or have multiple Ios devices that is true, though to be honest I can't really see a time I will be in that position unless I get a mac desktop which while conceivable in the future isn't something I'm considdering at the moment. I also don't personally see the point in having both an Iphone and an Ipad, not when your visually impared and using vo sinse the main function of the Ipad is the larger screen.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "key chain" but if the Icloud will backup my contacts and perchiced aps that will be enough for me, as you said it is just for either dire immergencies or if I upgrade my Iphone.

I don't personally treat the Victor's Sd card as a serious storage device, it's just there for me to bang on a selection of stuff to carry around for a while, and then change when I've either finished with them or want a new selection. One fact I do like is that unlike with my Iphone it is possible for me to use the Sd card as a transfer device, so when my brother visited last night and happened to want one of the books I had on my victor, it was easy enough to bang both the Victor and a memory stick into my Laptop and copy it across, something that wasn't possible with my Iphone, again, hurrah for freedom and simplicity.

With podcasts it depends upon if I think I'll listen to it again. I agree that Podcasts are basically just radio programs (indeed most of what I listen to are radio dramas or occasionally cerialized audiobooks), with an irregular release schedule, but if they're good enough that I think I'll hear them again later I'll usually download the lot and keep them, as opposed to either streaming them directly or downloading and chucking them. We're alive, Leviathan chronicles and Byron are all examples of things I thought good enough that I'd want to hear again so I grabbed the lot and added them to my mighty audio folder, indeed when I first heard we're alive I had to do the hole transfer of the files onto itunes (I suppose Itunes would've handled the podcast but the hole program is so stupid it was easier just to transfer), though of course when I listen to the series again now things will be far easier.

One slight issue with the Victor is that it won't recognize a folder containing both loose files and folders. I have a couple examples of these, for example Leviathan I have both the individual files of the special and folders for each series, (all numbered so as to play in order in winamp),  but this is only a miner niggle, justt like the fact that the Victor's tts voice can't be sped up or slowed down independently of the playback of your audio.

Again though, not a big issue when compared to the morass of utter stinking toxic putrid rotten rancid diseased poxy filthy dirty disgusting maggoty heap of complete and total absolute dreckage known as Itunes!

2014-11-15 03:33:35

Yes, exactly, I don't necessarily mean multiple iOS devices, I mean that the actual process of transferring is fundamentally easier when you only have to control one repository that is then automatically managed. I no longer have an iPad, in fact--just an iPod and iPhone now that the 6+ is chunky enough for my needs--but if you only have to manage one library, then syncing any device (over the network usually, by just having it turned on when iTunes is running) is a doddle compared to locating content and copying it to a card just for the one purpose of listening on one device, IMO, even if you don't use an SD card as an authority for any of the content which I don't. Hence, if I want to get the same seamlessness you're getting, it looks like I will have to stop caring about media playback on my Mac and iPhone, which likely won't happen unless I stop using iTunes, which I'm not quite prepared to do yet. But the Stream is a nice player so I'll not completely discard the idea. smile

I would get yourself an SD card reader rather than going through the interface on the player, which is rather slow in comparison--though nothing like as slow as most SD cards. Still, yes, it is a rather handy thing to be able to just access and share.

A keychain is your collection of passwords, EG web, email accounts, etc. No problem if you already know your passwords and can simply reenter them. As for contacts, make sure the switch is on in your iCloud settings and you should be set.

For podcasts, ironically I now find iTunes to be a very capable client, since some recent updates which mean that it remembers played episodes even when they are not on your machine. This means you can operate a podcast in either mode, as it were, the download-play-listen-toss mode or the download-archive mode. iTunes has the notion of "Saving" and will then construct a folder structure with the episodes in it. However to get this on iOS you then become dependent on iTunes again. Still at least Apple are making the effort. Of course if the show has other fans or archive pages then you can just grab those, too.

You should be able to adjust TTS and audio playback parameters separately; just play the content, and make the change. It seems to be working for me. On the other hand, I am using Stream for playing ePub (which is really awesome actually compared to using iBooks) so this may have something to do with it. I'm not sure about subfolders and files, that sounds like a bug to me, since you can definitely descend into multiple subfolders, but you're right it's no biggie if you're only using the card for temporary storage. I now have lots of listening material to be getting on with without any need for further transfer for a while.

I'm glad to see that you're enjoying your iTunes-free existence, anyway. I have now to decide which device should come with me to the bedroom for night-time listening, since I still don't know what the battery life on this thing is really like and I need it to last during the daytime. Up until now that has been the iPod Touch, which I enjoy as far as possible, though usually as a remote control client for my iTunes library next door with all the stuff on it to the speakers there, or with headphones from my iTunes network library rather than its internal flash. This is awesome because I get access to everything, but it also knackers the battery pretty good.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-15 10:30:20

Again with the networking and shenanigans, it just doesn't seem worth it to me, not when it's easy enough just to copy things across to whatever satellite device. My pc has all my audio (with a backed up copy on an external drive which lives in a box under my bed most of the time), and anything I want on a satellite device I just copy across directly. I've been doing that first with my laptop, then (with annoyence from Itunes), with my Iphone, and now with the Victor. I can see networking as a point if you have lots of gadgits, my brother for example has a mac, an Iphone an Ipad and an Ipod, but for me this is just overkill. I have my central pc, and whatever satellite I use for media and games (at the moment it's a combination of my Iphone and victor) which I use either in my bedroom or if I'm away for short moments, then I have a laptop which sits at my parents and is a general stand in for my pc when I'm there, also if I am going anywhere for an extended period and need access to e-mail, web forums etc.

Buying a card reader might be something I'll do later, but to be honest the slower transfer didn't really bother me too much, I just watched an episode of buffy and by the time I'd finished 12 gb was copied across. It might be something I'll do in the future if the slower transfer really gets on my nurves, but it hasn't done so as yet. Then again I still remember the days when one 3 minute mp3 took 15 minutes to download.

Regarding podcasts, well to be honest I still like the manual control I have on the website, particularly if I just copy the rss into Winamp for streaming, though mostly with podcasts I tend to just find a couple I like and go with them, I don't tend to hunt them down much.

I'll look at Icloud backups on the phone sinse it definitely would be nice to chuck Itunes completely, oh, and all my passwords are memorable.

With the victor batteries, they last a hell! of a long time, a good 15 hours or so. I actually tried to run my batteries down last week, but utterly failed. Though of course the batteries are only needed when your actually out, for listening to my victor at night I can plug the thing in.

2014-11-15 11:56:22

Well, I'm certainly not going to change your mind. smile

I see advantages in both methods, and between mainstream and more tactile player. I really like this Stream, but I do have to find a way to integrate it into my workflow in a way that doesn't disrupt what I like about iTunes/iOS. I think what's likely going to happen is I'll just remember to do the extra step of manually copying, and will then be able to use either. My media library is too large to make it feasible to avoid using iTunes for playback of stuff on demand, but I'll probably find the Stream very valuable in my persuit of "The easy life" while I'm on headphones.

Glad you like it, anyway.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-15 12:14:05

Well if you've already setup your media to go through Itunes I can see that as a problem, though even two years ago when I bought my Iphone the opposite is true ffor me. Indeed, I prefer to have streight out file access than go through the apple streight jacket, and the ease of transfer to the victor shows why.

Indeed why should I! be trying to make my collection work with Apple's silly programs anyway? isn't it their job to satisfy me! as the customer?

And anyway, couldn't the advantages of Itunes, the sincing, libraries, instant playback of podcasts or whatever exist in a more free form program?

I'm glad to be rid of the thing.

To be honest I don't think it's a difference in approach so much as me having a slightly different attitude to technology. I am happy with what I have, therefore expect anything new to add to what I currently have, not merely exchanging it for another completely different system and expecting me to work for that exchange.

I actually wish more people had this attitude rather than chasing the big shiny upgrade just because someone says it's a big shiny upgrade.

2014-11-15 12:40:11

Basically, I think the thing here is that the kind of integration you see on Star Trek (and which people naturally desire as opposed to a clearly manual process) is very hard to get right unless you have a lot of patience, technical skill, and willingness to get your hands dirty. Which is in absolutely no way to suggest that you're some sort of technological bumpkin if you can manage without--far from it--only that vertical integration of the sort practised by Apple has distinct advantages for the user who chooses to adopt it. If you never have, then of course you simply won't see what the fuss is all about. I agree that in an ideal world, all this would be completely general and open, but in point of fact it isn't, or at least not yet. So we have the lowest-common-denominator of the file system, which works as well as it's ever worked. Perhaps one day somebody will invent an iTunes which uses the file system as the backend, I don't know. But it hasn't happened yet. In the mean time, people (like me) who have taken Apple's word and adopted their system haven't been entirely unhappy with it while it has worked. Of course, now we see the flip side of that, the moment you try and use another player.

As for the practicalities, I need replacements for: Remote, AirPlay, playback position sync. Any ideas? smile

This loudspeaker won't do at night, so I'll probably be trying to sleep with headphones on. Not the best of ideas, I fancy. However, it connects just fine to my speakers and a wall plug, so I can listen from there.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-15 13:56:34

I don't really get what you mean about vertical intigration and startrek, (what does vertical intigration mean anyway?. Startrek was basically a database of shared common files with voice control and social interaction, nothing that scifi really, indeed if I had a voice interaction unit for my pc I could already say "play Harry potter and the goblet of fire" and have that done, and I can already tell Siri "phone my brother" and it'll do that. It strikes me a lot of the bennifits of the Apple network system like having all your stuff on a central cloud location and access from any smaller device really aren't worth much in a world where data storage is so easy, heck, if I bought a 4 tb passport drive I could have the contents of my pc anywhere I wanted. Unfortunately, Apple's advertising has conned people into believing that Apple's centralization policy is far more inervative than it actually is, and discouraged people from manual operation as you said, even though the manual operation really isn't that difficult. This is why I call Apple's intigration system a streight jacket, and why i find it rather hard to consider any real advantages to the system that compensate for the enslavement to one program, one organization method and one company, ---- indeed Huxley seems looming with that sort of thinking especially with the rather worrying tendency I've seen in some social quarters to Deyify Apple.

As to playback sinking, well the victor is great at holding position in multiple playing items which is one thing I like, and I don't see the point in sincronized playback across multiple devices when i can carry one small one around with me, ---- heck, even if I did! for example want to continue listening to the same audio file on my desktop and victor it'd be easy enough to just hit ctrl j in Winamp and input the time, ---- indeed this is what I mean about centralization, why go through all the hassle of having all that sincing nonsense and being forced to bow to Apple when jumping to a particular time in a playing file takes exactly 7 key strokes, (ctrl j, four numbers separated by a colon and enter).

For the remote business, well as I said, why should I bother trying to access my computer remotely when I can just copy stuff across? centralized access seems like a solution for a problem that hasn't existed sinse the early 2000's. Heck, I could even just buy a 4 tb passport drivewith everything on it  and bung it into the Victor's usb connector if I wished (it'd kill the battery but it certainly would be possible).

What exactly is air play?

I doubt apple will ever allow free access to files because then you know, people might be playing things they haven't bought from Apple! which to be honest is actually partly why I suspect the Itunes system is as closed as it is, and why it's so hard to intigrate with anything else. Indeed this is sort of what bothers me for the Apple worship sinse while people in the past used to be very quick on accusing Microsoft of attempting a monopoly people are far less quick as levelling the same accusations at Apple even though Apple are actually approaching being worse, (although microsoft's recent direction with the windows store etc isn't exactly an improvement either).

As to speakers on the Victor, well I do the same as I did when I was using my Iphone. If I am listening to music or audio drama, my Sanheisa earbuds are the thing, (though when I'm in my flat I'll use my Sanheisa momentum headphones sinse sound quality wise they're awsome even if a bit large and expensive to carry aroujd the country). However if it's just an audio book, ie, just a voice the victor speaker like the Iphone before it serves fine as sound quality in that case doesn't bother me too much so long as the words and tone are audible.

I have been known to fall asleep wearing headphones or earbuds, though generally a life time of listening to audio books insures that I can't sleep with audio running so I don't tend to worry. it'd be easy enough however to pick up a reasonable set of speakers for the Victor if you wanted to. I personally am more a fan of headphones than speakers. I have some pretty good logitech 5.1 ones attached to my computer for general background in my flat or to play to friends, but for something as personal as listening to music or audio dramas on the victor I much prefer headphones, and as good headphones as possible.

2014-11-17 14:46:56 (edited by Sebby 2014-11-17 15:59:56)

Vertical integration means all the bits are designed to fit neatly together. No, I don't think Star Trek is just voice recognition, after all why is the information always where you need it? How do you ask the computer to show you something on your data pad? Why is nobody ever worried about the size of storage devices, or whether or not a file is where you need it in order to display it? In fact, why does nobody ever use file names? And even if this is all about centralisation and the cloud, how do you get from your hypothetical voice commands and actions on your computer? That's quite an important detail, you know, because unless you told the computer how to play an album or audiobook, how is it going to happen? And of course you can manually copy playback times, but wouldn't it be rather better if you didn't have to do that? Why, indeed, as a general rule, doesn't technology simply yield to our desires without thought or impediment, instead of making us dependent on the particular way in which it operates, or the particular manufacturer of the combination of devices? Of course Star Trek is fiction, but my point is that a lot of the "Magic" in Apple products is really just Apple taking care of many typical use cases that are trivially handled by technologies that obscure as much of the underlying hardware as possible from all points in the ecosystem, so that you as a user are dealing in the abstract. AirPlay: take this media, and render it over the network. Remote: locate target devices on the network, and command them with authorisation. Home Sharing: extent media library over the network. iTunes Match: ditto, for the Internet. Etc. You may not appreciate any of this, but other people certainly do, and just because one particular way of doing something requiring lots of user intervention works in a particularly cross-platform fashion doesn't mean we should be bound to it if circumstances permit otherwise. It may be a reality that the lowest common denominator is also the best if you need portability (or, in your case, just hate iTunes and/or Apple), and I can't dispute that it could be worse or that it has real benefits for choice, but I also think Apple's philosophy has a lot more going for it than you give it credit for. Your tenacious desire for what works is truly admirable, but IMO isn't automatically better just because you can't justify certain features that really aren't easy to get when interoperability is a priority (which, incidentally, I agree needs to change). The future still holds computers that are easier to use, even if you're just fine with transferring files using USB in Windows Explorer. And no, I am not enslaved by Apple, or their cloud--in fact, I'm working as hard as I can to do without iCloud, and finding it surprisingly easy.

To the stream, now that I've been having a good poke at all the functionality, I can report that this doesn't make the very best podcast client there is, since you can't independently control downloads from removal, though I've tolerated that by setting the number of episodes to keep to 10, in the hope that I'll remember at least every so often to save podcasts to SD when needed and/or mark podcasts as don't delete; this should mean it functions reasonably automatically. The downside is you have to download a load of podcasts only to throw them away, which is bad for the Interwebs. sad

I do appreciate the control from structured navigation and direct correspondence of the controls to the actions. I also appreciate that you can do essential file management on the player, such as transferring entire books by title from USB and/or CD, and deleting unwanted material. How very Star Trek! smile

This is powered by Linux on ARM32. They haven't published the source, so I must give Humanware a bollocking for being very naughty.

I also have two pairs of headphones for indoors and outdoors, but I really would prefer some sort of external arrangement for bedtime. With the iPod I've just used the sleep timer and external speakers, but would prefer not to bother the neighbours by using my bedroom deck speakers, so I'll be looking into getting a socket over my bed and a stand so I can use smaller speakers for that purpose.

Edit: OK, I've sent feedback to Humanware asking for ALAC support and an SMB network client. That's what it would take to seriously overcome the iTunes gravity well for me, if they do it it will be awesome, and if not, well it's still good for Audible, text, podcasts, notes, and other stuff except CD import.

Just myself, as usual.