2014-11-05 12:56:32

How much content is there right now? As I understand it, the mud is in alpha/beta stages.

Thumbs up

2014-11-06 02:24:50

How would you measure such a thing?  If you're referring to the amount of features there are available and how they differ from, say, Miriani, I'd say there's a fair amount of difference.  While communicators, for instance, still function very similarly to those on Miriani, they have other tricks as well, such as being able to establish a link with anyone from anywhere in the galaxy and not just when you're in the same room with them, or acting as both traditional and MF communicators.  The laser turrets on ships all have different power levels available to them, and cannons fire from two units away instead of one.  other ship weapons exist such as torpedos and heat guided missiles that can be fired from anywhere in te sector at an enemy.  combat itself is different, no longer requiring the primitive lock on coordinate thing people get used to on miriani, instead allowing you to aim at a particular ship by name.
Beside these there is also ship building, shipwreck grabbing, PVP arenas, transport vehicles to get around on planets that seem rather hard to deal with, banking that allows for both sending and receiving money via your computer as well as allowing you to both deposit and withdraw credits so as to add or subtract to what you have on hand, a lottery that as far as I can tell works on every capital planet, host giveaways; I think I've won like 100 million credits just for playing, and various training modules for combat purposes and the like to get you up on your feet as soon as possible.
A third race is currently being considered and I'm sure there are other features in the works as well.  It's not surprising to receive at least one announcement per day letting us know of either a minor or major change that has been made to the game.  If this isn't enough, then I don't know what is.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up +1

2014-11-06 17:05:34

uh. I had an account the other day and had just started playing. My internet went down so I assume I got disconnected. I'm trying to log back in today and it says that my user name doesn't exist. Bummer

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

Thumbs up

2014-11-06 20:14:02

Greetings!
Well, if you did not complete character creation, your username surely doesn't exist.
If you disconnected during creation, the game cleans half-created accounts, so to speak.

As long as we code something, we are truely alive... But only when the code benefits our players, that's when we're high up in the sky! :)

2014-11-06 21:37:21

Oh. I didn't explain that very well I guess. I got through creation, salavaged a bit of debris, did a bit of flight training, wend and bought clothes and a gun and ammo. I'd walked back to my ship and bam... disconnect. I Tried to log in earlyer and the game says my user name doesn't exist. I saw something about announcements about the game being hacked. Could the game have not had the chance to save me so when it wend down I went poof?

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

Thumbs up

2014-11-07 00:37:35

Greetings!
Oh, yes, we got attacked, but we did not get hacked. However, we did have to restore the database some time back, maybe that is why.
To those who got worried by this message, rest assured. Your account information was not stolen, and is secure and crypted with the best of methods available.

As long as we code something, we are truely alive... But only when the code benefits our players, that's when we're high up in the sky! :)

2014-11-07 12:29:41

ah. Sorry to hear about the attack. I wanted to redo my descriptions anyway so I'll go and get stuck back in.

Thumbs up

2014-11-07 23:08:03

So for some reason, my number pad isn't working for movement in vipmud. I'm pretty sure it used to, so I'm not sure what to do about this.
Also, any tips for combat? I've tried scanning the ship to know where to aim, but each time I do that now, it just aims at the same coordinate  as before.

Thumbs up

2014-11-08 00:36:25

Greetings!
Focus, or f, would probably be the command you're looking for.
Also, ships can be aimed at by typing 'aim shipname' as well, it does not have to be coordinates.

2014-11-08 01:02:38

I'm so glad you got rid of the aim at coord system.  makes combat a lot more fun and far less of a chore.
at least, that's what I'm hoping.  time to get me some more points by salvaging and whatever else I can do.

Thumbs up

2014-11-08 11:10:08

Wow! I'm sure gonna try that!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-11-08 14:01:48 (edited by PrometheusMOO 2014-11-08 14:24:47)

Greetings, everybody!
This post is not intended to be a throw in the drama flames. This post is intended to be an informative post of what has been happening behind the scenes lately, of what has become a really serious and annoying threat.
Approximately nine days ago, a person created a character on Prometheus with the name of Henderson Acid green Designation. Instantly after creating, this person started to hurl insults at everybody in the game. Furthermore, after he reconnected, we noticed that he was using various different VPN's and TOR proxies, including:
VPN's (only the provider addresses here)
pulsedmedia.com
ipredator.se
TOR proxies
politkovskaja.torservers.net
rainbowwarrior.torservers.net
tor-exit.csail.mit.edu
tor-exit0-readme.dfri.se
18.transminn.cz

After discovering this, we put his account into a state where he could not connect fully, because he was immediately disconnected. By doing this we got all the different VPN's and proxies of the list blocked.
@Moderators: Could you please do a hostname check to make sure none of these listed TOR proxies are being used when connecting to the forums? The person in question is really, really rude, to say the least.

Hereby we declare our kind request or all those of you who have a mud running. If you have any of these listed TOR proxies or hostnames ending with the VPN names connecting to your game, please take extra caution. From what we have been able to discover, if he does not like a game and still connects, he almost always uses a username such as:
anon
anonymous
or
<insert game name>sucks

As our last piece of information, we would like to point out that last night an account was created from
hostname: dg1tgb3601.fusa.be
IP address (resolved with DNS lookup): 212.83.171.167
Fusa.be is a Belgium VPS provider. Our suspicions have raised quite high; how can one person afford all these VPN's and VPS's. Therefore, this person might also have been hacking their way into these services to get an account, maybe only for the simple reason of connecting to our game to spam it out.
Last but not least, here is a proof from the last night character's, whose name, Bob Slutty, is a violation as is, command log:
Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prometheus sucks. Prome
>> Network buffer overflow: 7 lines of output to you have been lost <<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take this post very seriously, and once again, we do not intend to rise drama here. This is merely informational.
P.S. The server of Prometheus is not! only used for the game. It has other purposes alongside it, and attack like the previous one slows down the connection of legit users significantly.

2014-11-08 15:32:47

Blocking entire tor proxies or vpn servers seem extreme; you're probably much better off implementing anti-spam/abuse detection code for a more sustainable long-term solution.

Thumbs up

2014-11-08 15:51:49 (edited by PrometheusMOO 2014-11-08 18:13:43)

Yes, but nobody else has used those certain VPN's to connect. If they do, we'll make an exception for them. We are not! tolerating attacks like this.
To clarify things up, we blocked only the servers of the person in question, not the whole providers.

2014-11-08 22:51:42

Greetings!
As some of you may already have noticed, questionaires are in place. These are a new type of getting your opinion, dear players, more accurately than just having either yes or no answers. Now you can select from five choices.
The command to answer the questionaire when they are available is q-answer. The game will notify you upon connecting if there is an open questionaire which you have not answered yet.

2014-11-09 00:34:25

Greetings!
The exit editor is now usable in the starships you are building! To begin, type 'edit-exits' in the room the exits of which you want to edit. This editor is used to edit the arrival and leaving messages of.
Also, the editor can be used in those private ships you have already finished building.

2014-11-09 21:29:19

Prometheus proudly presents...
Weapon safes!
These small-, medium-, and high-capacity weapon safes ensure that your guns are stored in a secure manner. For this reason, when opened for the very first time, the safe asks you for an access code. The code can consist only of numbers, and is required every time when opening the safe.
The weapons fitting to each safe are:
Small: all pistols, 10 weapons total.
Medium: pistols and shotguns, 20 weapons total.
Large: all weapons, 30 weapons total.
The weapon safes are available in every weapon and crew store.
Enjoy!

2014-11-09 22:06:48

Greetings!
The 'control' command now lets you change the location where the airlock opens to the room where you are currently standing. This works in ships you are building. So, for instance, if you want the airlock to open into the docking bay, no problem! Just enter the docking bay, type 'control', and answer yes.
Enjoy!

2014-11-09 23:54:17

Greetings!
Ship builders can now add multiple airlocks in their vessles, and if there are more than one airlocks, the vessle will ask which one to enter when entering the ship.
Also, the command 'code' has been added to airlocks. This airlock-dependant code allows you to secure the ship by adding a security code to each of its airlocks. When typing 'in', if the airlock has a code set, the keypad will pop up asking you for one.

2014-11-10 01:36:44

Just when I think this thing can't get any better, it does.

Audio game king

Thumbs up

2014-11-10 02:43:03

At the rate you're pumping out features, I'll be 90 before I ever get to try them all out.  smile

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up +1

2014-11-10 03:19:30

same!  now if only salvaging were quicker... tongue

Thumbs up

2014-11-10 07:10:55

It'll be worth all the salvaging and roid hauling you end up doing to reach level 8, at which point you should see things move along more quickly.

Thumbs up +1

2014-11-10 11:17:40

Totally missed the post about the gun safes, will have to check them out. I'm also liking the Mush client soundpack for the game, though I do wish their was a sound when harvesting asteroids and, the power up sounds for the harvesting equipment like in the Vip soundpack.

Audio game king

Thumbs up

2014-11-10 12:58:10

I probably should post here about the mushclient soundpack.

I adapted the content from the vip soundpack to mush, converting a number of sounds to ogg and reducing the soundpack size to a twelfth of it's original value. The soundpack has the same triggers as vipmud (with some exceptions, some triggers broke when converting, but I have fixed most of them.) The soundpack and any updates can be acquired from the following link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/501 … s_pack.zip

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.