2014-11-02 06:54:06

Okay, as I said in the Itunes topic, I've had it with Itunes so I believe it's now time to make the decision that I thought I was going to have to make when I bought my Iphone 2 years ago and buy a talking mp3 player.

I've gone to http://www.talkingmp3players.com/ (thanks for the link Chris), and have had a listen to their tutorial on the Sansa clip zip. It does look like what I want, a streight mp3 player that interacts with usb and preserves folder structure with no additional cruddy software, hurrah! I'll even forgive the fact that it is named after the most irritating character from game of thrones big_smile.

However, I do have a few questions, and sinse I believe people own some of these machines I thought I'd ask.

First, what is this file names thing, and why does the player come with an installation for a sapi voice? I assumed it'd speak out of the box by default. If it uses your sapi voice on computer that is fine (I have a copy of realspeak daniel), however I would like to know how this works, while the introduction was good for showing the initial player, I wonder what the setup is, do you need to install anything? and if so, what?

Likewise, what is this file names thing? Sinse I am likely going to be sticking folders onto and taking folders off any mp3 player on a regular basis as I read different books, I don't want this process to be too tortuous, particularly sinse if say I stick a Big finish Doctor who audio on there, there will likely be a hundred or so small files in the one folder (although if the player plays in order by file names sensibly I could just start at the start of the folder and run through).

Also, battery life and charging. does the thing have a good long life, sinse I do use the player a lot, heck I carry an audio book into the bathroom with me while I'm cleaning my teeth, and given that I'm in the Uk and the players are sold in the Us, what about charging the thing?

I also would like to know about this bookmark business, sinse if I turn the player off, will it keep my position in what I am playing or do I need to go creating bookmarks etc.

Given that a 64 gb sd card is almost a requirement, how easy are these to install?

I do like what I heard thus far, and 150 usd (counting the sd card), would be a reasonable price, indeed I've been looking for a streight forward mp3 player for my dad so I can lend him audiobooks, but haven't yet found one (maybe the none talking version), I just want to be dam sure what I'm buying sinse this wouldn't be the first time that access tech has looked better before buying than after, and also because I don't want to buy something to save me from the dreaded Itunes only to find myself in the same complexity fix, or that it won't run on xp or some other coblers.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-02 14:26:03

I'm not familiar with the specific device, but I'd say its highly unlikely that it would be trying to use a sapi voice you have on your computer. Mp3 players don't exactly have high-capacity processors or ram, so I'd be shocked if it lets you just go ahead and install any voice you like (and if it does, expect it to be slow). The realspeak voices take up a lot of system resources even on a computer, let alone a device like an mp3 player.

2014-11-02 15:33:20

Hi John.

I know mp3 players aren't exactly heavy on processor, however what confused me is the "introduction to talking mp3 players" on the site mentioned installing sapi voices, and something about rb clipper for making voice clips of files or something like that, but wasn't clear on how it worked or what sort of setup was required etc.

I believe the sapi voices are for naming the files and folders in the menus and that the player reccords sound files made from sapi for the names, but as i said I would definitely like to know a little more about this process before I consider buying one, sinse I don't want to swap one bloated over complex fidly barely accessible peace of software for another.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-02 15:50:34

The players use a custom firmware interface called Rockbox, which, among other things, lets you use speech. but all of the speech is pre-recorded... so it isn't tts persay. I don't exactly remember how the process works... since I said in the itunes thread it's been years since I used it, but when I used it, the speech support wasn't all that great and getting the firmware to read out file names included using a utility to record all the file names using an SAPI voice on your computer into tiny clips, then the same utility would some how match the clip to the proper files and folders. Alternatively, you could have Rockbox just spell out the folder and file names, or give them to you in a number format, folder 1, folder 2, file 1, file 2, etc.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-11-02 15:52:36

Hello,
I am familiar with these devices, as I have one and find it incredible. The best 50 pounds I ever spent, and that was just for the device itself, as I got sighted help to put it into a required mode then installed the rest.
If you buy one from talkingmp3players though, you will be able to, I believe, use it straight from out of the box.
I believe they still use Rockbox. In this case, you will need a program called Rockbox Utility. I don't know how well this will work with super nova, but if you want, you can have all menus spoken to you by your sapi voice.
The way this works, is there is a tab in the program called accessibility, and you will have to use two options:
First, use "create voice files". This option lets yo select a voice and configure the engine, and will create all of your menu files, basically files related to the running of the player, days of the week, time, and menu option names.
Next, in the accessibility tab, there is an option that says "install talk files". These talk files are the names of your files that you place on your player, and you select a directory you want to scan, and it names and places those files there.
The more files you have the longer it'll take, so on a first scan it could take a while but if you add one audiobook at a time and scan it won't be so bad as it's already got talk files there that it needs.
Here's how it works.
Let's say I put the new hobbit soundtrack on there. I would copy and paste it as usual, in my own folder structure. In this case, music\howard shore\the hobbit - battle of the five armies soundtrack.
Once the files are pasted, I open up Rockbox utility.
I select the accessibility tab.
I click install talk files.
I select change directory. I browse to the music directory on my sansa, that's all you ahve to do, don't browse to howard shore, just to the music directory.
I then click OK to exit the browse window.
I then click generate.
At this point, it starts to scan and generate. It automatically skips every other soundtrack I have because I already scanned those in the past. Wait a while and try arrowing down every now and then. If your screen reader starts talking, keep arrowing down until it says finished generating talk files. Then press tab and click OK.
Vwala, you are done. When you plug your headset in now, you will be able to navigate to your new soundtrack with your sapi voice. If you don't do this though, you will still be able to navigate, it just won't talk.

2014-11-02 15:53:32

Rockbox (the name of the custom firmware that make these things speak) is made self voicing by recording sound files for the various strings of the interface, plus basic things like numbers and letters, very much like self voicing audio games. The Rockbox utility (the application used to install and update rockbox on the device) can generate this with a sapi voice of your choosing, though you can also download pregenerated speech that was made with Festival (remember the voice from the 7-128 games? Yeah, that thing.) There is a second part to this, called Talkbox, also in the rockbox utility, which can additionally generate speech for your file names. You don't have to use it though and if you haven't recorded file names, the player will just spell them out.
If you want to buy one of these players you really shouldn't buy it from talking mp3 players though. Yes, they preinstall Rockbox on it so you don't have to but they charge a rediculous premium, which will be made even worse by overseas shipping costs. I just checked on amazon and the 4GB clip ZIP costs 30 pounds, which is much, much less than what they would charge you for it. Rockbox installation is very easy and should only take 10 or 15 minutes and you can use the saved money to get yourself a bigger SD card or buy some more audio dramas to put on it. big_smile

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-11-02 17:57:23

@Aaron, thanks for that, I know you own one of these so I was hoping for a reply on this. Supernova is fine by default with most things on windows (one reason Itunes 12 is such a pain in the arse), if not I don't mind using sapi, however I just want to check and be clear on this process.

I run this rockbox utility which reccords mp3 versions of first the audio file names and basic elements for the player, then the audio file names for whatever I want to bang on there if I wish it to, other wise it will read folder names letter by letter, ie, if I stuck the audio book of The Hobbit on there it would read the folder name as t h e h o b b i t.

I will go and check some of the demos and podcasts on talkmp3players to see what they have on this process.

I also wonder about my other questions regarding charging the thing.

@pitermachh, to be honest I would probably pay the extra 20 quid to talkmp3players for the installation of the firmware and audio manuals, just to make life easy sinse as I said I am a little sick of fiddling with software.

I don't personally like the idea of using the festival voice, not if it is relatively easy to use sapi which for me means realspeak daniel.

As an interesting point, I actually also just checked the victor reader stream, just for purposes of complete information, however while it was less expensive than I thought the £250 is certainly a turn off, I also don't like the idea of something that is so tied to Itunes, Audible, dazy, bookshare and all those other idiots, indeed I got the impression that bog standard usb compatibility with the thing was an afterthought, quite apart from the fact that 32 gb size is really not nice, and it seemed to have a lot of specifically blind directed bells and whistles that just didn't strike me as so handy, so the Sansa clip looks definitely preferable at this point though I want to be dam sure of what I am getting.

2014-11-02 19:05:57

If you want to generate the speech yourself, then I honestly see no point in getting the Talking MP3 player version of the clip zip. It's like getting a car, paying extra to get it painted, then you take it home and paint it again yourself.
If you want to check accessibility, the rockbox utility is a small free download (rockbox is open source so you won't be getting any junk with it), so just download it, run it, look around the UI and see if supernova's coaping with it.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-11-02 20:45:30

dark, You will have to pay import duty's and VAT. This ends up meaning that you will end up paying about 120 pounds roughly. Your much better off buying in the mp3 player sd cards and the like and modding the thing itself. it's a 10 minute job and frankly charging that much of a premium to premod the device for the end-user is a terrible thing to do. I could never get behind this guy's business. Also, I don't know what you will end up paying in shipping costs.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2014-11-03 00:12:46

Hello,
I discovered something today. It seems you can't look around the UI of the Rockbox utility unless you actually have a compatable device plugged in, unless they fixed that in an update that I don't yet have.
Also, the way combo boxes work is a bit weird, again unless hey fixed it. In my version you have to press enter on the box to go into it, but then it works as normal.

2014-11-03 04:18:30

That's interesting. Apart from the price I thought the stream seemed quite promising; it has networking, which might come in handy later if you podcast. That is if I ever have the inclination to take an audio player out with me, instead of my iPhone, which I always seem to carry regardless. However, yes, it is a blindy product, with all the usual shortfalls there. Audible support is there though, and I do miss a decent DAISY player.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-03 12:56:01

The Victor stream isn't as bad price wise as I thought, though my major concern, apart from being specifically tied to lots of service providers, is whether the Usb mp3 function works in a streight forward way. Dazy I find an annoying format most of the time, (indeed it's only glorified mp3s with some extra indexing), and I can ignore stuff like the Itunes and audible accounts sinse if I buy something I want to actually own the files and choose what device I play them on, however given how restrictive a lot of specifically designed blind tech is, I am not sure if I could just bang a victor stream into the usb and copy folders across as I want them.

As to networking, ---- welll meh, I'll worry about it if I ever see a reason for it, at the moment I don't sinse I'm happy with what I have, and just want the easiest way to take what I have elsewhere with me now apple have ballsed up the Iphone completely.

This is also why I will at least consider buying the ready modded Sansa, sinse frankly I'm just sick of pissing about with all this hyper complex software crap! It doesn't interest me and I don't really care, I just want something I can stick in the usb and bang folders of mp3 music or books on and take with me to play when I'm out and about, ---- really it shouldn't be this much of a hassle.

2014-11-03 17:30:42 (edited by Sebby 2014-11-03 17:32:47)

Here, try reading the manual. Looks like you'll be right at home; it has support for, let's see, DAISY, text files, music, and other books where that just means folders of audio files. It has software but you don't need it; you can just copy your shit into obscurely named folders which you'll be happy to do because you like doing that sort of thing. big_smile

In fact the only downside that I see, off the cuff, is the size. If miniaturisation is a top priority then something mainstream might be the answer. But you can get class 10 SD cards and USB readers dirt cheap now so … it's just a thought.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-03 18:18:05

Well it's not so much copying into obscure folders as just wanting one thing for one fairly standard job, this is after all how I approach technology generally, bugger trends and numbers and other such rubbish, what does it do for me, if it doesn't do anything then it's no use! The victor stream might be a possibility though I'll have to balance lower drive size and probably a lot of extra functions I'll never use (plus a higher price), over the Sansa or something else.

I'm not above buying a basic mainstream player, however I've not seen many around recently that would be even vaguely operational, plus sinse I like to bang five or six books and some music on the player to have some choice when I'm out and about (I did this with all satellites), accessible folders, ie, knowing what they are without reading the screen even if I could memorize a menu would be nice.

I admit I probably am sounding harsher on this and other tech questions than I should be at the second, it just seems for reasons I will not discuss my life is fairly grim at the moment thus I don't really have the patience I should, especially with large faceless organizations who change stuff on a whim.

2014-11-04 02:46:23

@Dark, that was intended to be a joke, actually. Of course I know what you meant, it's just that the Stream uses some weird folder names starting with $ I think for its internal uses. But it doesn't matter; you'd be able to handle that.

Anyway, good luck whichever way you go; it doesn't sound to me like it's nearly as bad as it looks, however you proceed. In fact in many ways, if it works out, it could be totally awesome and much better than what you (or I) now have. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-04 09:40:53

Well in the case of the victor stream, when I say "blindy" what I mean is more restrictive. For example the victor readers the rnib talking book service use have a lot of design flaws that were clearly intended for people not used to technology, for example you can't directly pull out a disk or jump to time in a specific file, and the machine also has zero to no battery life. It plays dazy disks, but is pretty useless at anything else (heck it doesn't even output in sterrio).

With the victor stream my problem is if I turn the thing on and it says "please connect me to a dazy service" and I have to effectively hit it with a crowbar to get it to do what I want, (I've been sick of doing that with Itunes), though if it will read folder names by default that might be helpful. I'll check the manual and see exactly how complicated the process of banging stuff onto the thing directly through the usb is and whether in fact the machine will cope with that or object, likewise I'll check some of the talking mp3 player stuff for the file names business.

In terms of extras, well I'm not bothered about playing games or using a calculator sinse I'll still have my Iphone. An fm radio or voice recorder on either machine might be handy at some points, and I could see a use with the victor stream's text reading function at some points, particularly taking sets of words with me to music rehearsals, but I'm primarily interested in just the ability to play mp3s.

2014-11-04 10:00:19

If that was true, it doesn't appear to be now. Like I said, apart from the size and the fact that the price and feature set is geared towards the blindy revolution, it does appear to be full-featured. In fact, I'm now quite tempted to grab one--it might be a nicer solution to all my book-reading which until has now been very limited by the need to import into and sync from iTunes, use iBooks or Read2Go, none of which are very pleasant for long-term reading. Heck, I own a SARA scanner unit, and I'm surprisingly happy with that, because it actually does what I want it to do--namely, scan shit. I'm not opposed to something that will work for the intended purpose. If this will make life easier … and this is why our government gives us this money, after all …

I talked to my brother about this situation, and he thinks he remembers hearing that the Sansa players are being discontinued; TalkingMP3Players are now on stock. Furthermore current versions of Rockbox, while they do work surprisingly well, are not fully voiced, as I believe has already been said.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-04 10:49:51

As I said, my "blindy" comment was more in concern of restriction, but if in fact the Victor stream is not restricted as say the Victor reader machine the Rnib uses (can't recall the model but I assume you know the ones I mean), then hay that is cool!

I'm not diametrically opposed to tech specifically designed for blind people as long as it A, does what it is supposed to without locking you in thrawl to some service or to sighted people, and B, doesn't either cost the earth or still worse, cost a lot of money for something that could be done a lot more easily by another mainstream product, eg, talking phones that cost about twice as much as an Iphone, or specifically designed braille note type machines that are two or three times more expensive than a conventional laptop and (other than the braille writing), don't do much else.

Heck, I use my penfriend every time I want to watch a dvd, it cost 50 quid and is awsome! (if it weren't a little large and didn't have less than one gb of capacity I could use the penfriend! as an mp3 player).

Getting back to the point, the Victor Stream is indeed less expensive than I thought, sinse last I heard they were closer to 500 than 200 or so and it sounds like unless I go through talkmp3players I'll have shenanigans with rockbox that I probably don't want.
I do want to tripple check though that standard usb foldder transfer onto the victor stream isn't going to be a problem, and that I don't need to wangle with any specific software or with the machine itself.

Oh and yes, I agree on governmental bennifits.

Edit: okay, looking at the victor manual it sounds like you can just copy across directly provided you put stuff into the right folder, and the folders do at least have sensible names even if they do start with dollar signs.

I also like the idea that you can replace the sd card for the machine. One thing I was considering with the Sansa clip was having a 64 gb sd card, well nice to know I still can, indeed from the sound of the manual it actually sounds like I could just get one of those little usb sd card holders  rather than charging the player itself, (my laptop has an sd card slot but I don't think my esktop does).

I'll phone humanware this morning and ask them questions.

Edit: okay, it's done. I phoned humanware and got a very useful fellow who gave me very streight forward answers about what folders to stick where. While I have paid more for the device than I intended, it wasn't insanely! more! and I think the ease of use is a payofff. It's going to be so nice just to be able to copy books and music over and not having to go through all that playlist malarchy.

The machine is also turning up tomorrow morning, so credit to Humanware on quick posting

while I'm fairly sure people will see me as selling out to the blindopoly, as I said I'm just sick of the hassle and in this case the machine will do what I want it to do with a minimum of fuss.

2014-11-04 18:33:38

Hi,
Wow, I like this Dark. Someone who basically sold you the product properly it seems, giving you useful info that allowed you to make that decision. From what I've heard, I don't think you will be let down either.
The trouble with Rockbox is I have no idea how well the utility would work with Supernova, so in this case you've made the right decision, as the stream should be pretty much pick up and play.

2014-11-04 19:20:04

Hi Aaron.

I don't know about rockbox and supernova either, but generally as I said supernova copes with most things that aren't completely random, for example Kchess, Avg, smugglers, progress quest etc, (one reason why Itunes 12 being such a bastard was so surprising and why I blaime stupid apple for removing the sidebars and arsing up the layout). Even if by any chance it didn't, if Rockbox has a sapi option there is always that for an alternative. It is more that I simply can't be bothered at the moment with new software, installing this, tweaking that, and that business of naming files with audio, it's just way more trouble than I really feel like going through at the second just for something that I can put in my pocket which plays audio files, after all sighted people can just buy any generic player, read the screen and don't have all the shenanigans.

The chap I spoke to was indeed good, he used the thing himself apart from working for Humanware so he knew sufficiently about it, he even advised me not to buy a larger sd card from humanware sinse he said I could get a more expensive one elsewhere. I wanted to ask about the machine because while the manual is very clear, it starts off on the dazy options and mentions playing of other files later, and sinse Dazy has fairly limited availability that isn't exactly my main focus, I get dazy stuff from the Rnib occasionally but most of the stuff in my collection is mp3.

he also let me know about file and folder structure, indeed it's going to be a real relief to just be able to copy say one of my main book series folders and have all the individual books in their numbered subfolders play in order rather than mess around with Itunes and creating playlists for each individual book and all that other rubbish. Sinse I'm something of a stickler for file organization and use folders to do that (particularly with books), that is a feature I definitely like.

I have heard low volume is an issue, but I suspect %90 of the time I'll be using the thing through my Sanheisa earbuds anyway rather than the default speaker. I've also heard people say that the Usb transfer is a bit slow and that it's better to take the sd card out and transfer onto that directly. I'll give it a try though and see what it's like, sinse generally I don't mind waiting for transfers as long as it's not too insane, though if worst comes to worst I can always just buy one of those usb sd card holders, (I don't believe my desktop has an sd card slot).

There are also a couple of functions on the Victor that, while I didn't buy it for! those functions might come in handy, particularly ability to search for and download or stream podcasts, and to stream internet radio (classic fm has an internet radio stream that I've used on occasion so that is okay).

I'm quite looking forward to the Victor coming tomorrow morning, indeed I'm impressed at their next day delivery service.

2014-11-04 21:46:23

For goodness' sake, Dark, do what makes you happy and sod the rest. You don't have to explain. By this time next month you'll probably we wondering why people have such an aversion to these products in the first place.

I have a BrailleNote and a SARA; both cost more than they should. They also make me very happy. As far as I'm concerned, the "Blindopoly" gets it right from time to time, just like how even a stopped clock tells the time correctly twice a day. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-04 22:24:42

Well Sebby the reason for my explanation was simply because I do think it's necessary to think about these things. While undoubtedly some people do take cryticisms of the blindopoly far too far, at the same time there are legitimate objections that can be leveled at some makers of accessible products, both in terms of price and in terms of affectiveness as compared to alternatives.

I would fully agree with you however that just because something is designed "for the blind" doesn't make it automatically bad, anymore than it makes it automatically good, it's a question of looking at things on a case by case basis, which is why i explained my reasoning here.

And yes, despite the fact I have! bought the thing and suspect that it will be awsome, I do still think it should be about £100 cheaper, just the same way much as I like the penfriend, I hate the fact that the labels are sold in specific packs and you can't just buy which sized labels you want in whatever quantities you want. it's just like buying anything else, deciding whether the bad outways the good.