2014-11-01 13:49:45

Hi.

Avg  alerted me to a possible flash link exploit running on the forum attempting to redirect me to a fake upgrade site. I have alerted Sander, just to check the code, but I advise people to be careful and make sure of antivirus etc.

it might just be Avg being paranoid, but I prefer to be safe on this one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-01 14:26:43

Hi Dark,
Hmm, I'm sorry to hear this.

Follow me on Mastodon.

2014-11-01 16:31:37

Thanks for the heads up.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-11-01 16:55:30

Hi.

As I said, it is possible Avg is just being paranoid, though usually it doesn't come up often with link exploits. I tested several times and it occurred on a couple of them, it was also specific to this forum and didn't come up elsewhere (so I know it is related to something here not to something on my end), I think it might be one of the Google adds, though fortunately it didn't download anything nasty, indeed I think it was more a potential than active nastiness. Still  as I said I've alerted Sander and he'll take a look just to make sure nothing bad is going on with the forum.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-01 18:56:23

Well, the forum itself isn't listed in Google SafeBrowsing yet, because I can still reach it. Then again I have adblock installed and it's likely that the code itself is residing on some known-bad domain, so I would neither see nor be warned about that.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-01 21:39:29

What you moderators need to do is get rid of the advertisements. It would protect thousands of us because 99 percent of advertisements are viruses or trogens, and I'm not gambling with my computer because of advertisements. Just remove the Google ad sense extension, or remove the extension that creates the ads. It would make this forum a lot less dangerous to those who are unprotected (like myself.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-11-01 21:48:33

Hi Dark,
I have a pop up blocker on, so I didn't even know there were Google Adds on the site.

2014-11-01 23:32:11 (edited by Sebby 2014-11-01 23:35:36)

Just one small problem: ads are how the site makes money, so you can actually visit and participate and stuff.

If you don't want ads, join me and the other anarchists and install an ad-blocking extension, and experience this forum the way it was meant to be experienced, clean and unspoiled. But I don't think turning off the ads is an option, unless people start volunteering money.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-11-02 04:42:02

The adds are as minimal as humanly possible, and indeed only come up on a very few pages and only at the very bottom, indeed usually I forget they're there.

I've turned on some avg block functions for now until Sander has checked things completely.

2014-11-02 08:33:39

Well Sander has checked the site with some serious antivirus software and not run across anything, neither have I browsing the site this morning so it is possible either Avg was being paranoid about a particular add, or that Google have stomped on the add and removed it from their panel.

If anyone encounters anything, let me know where and on what page and I'll pass that on to Sander.