2014-10-27 22:55:45 (edited by Joseph Westhouse 2015-09-16 17:21:08)

Hi all,

Just a little shameless plug - a while back, my wife opened up a shop on Etsy (I help, a bit) selling accessible card and board games.  Mostly, we buy games and add braille and/or other tactile elements to allow blind players to enjoy them.  We also include digital copies of the rules, and any other documents associated with the game.  Most of the games, we offer fully accessible versions (meaning absolutely no sighted help is required), as well as general versions that allow a completely fair, equal gameplay opportunity for blind players, but don't add braille to elements that are common knowledge and don't need to be referenced frequently by blind players, since this information could simply be reported by a sighted player.

We've tried to keep the prices reasonable - obviously we have to buy the games first, and then put in the time to braille them - but our main goal is to give everyone the opportunity to enjoy the kind of games that we love to play.  We're also always looking to expand our inventory - so like the store description says, if there's a game you're interested in that's not on the list, let us know and we'd be happy to try and figure out a way to make an accessible version.

If you're interested in seeing what we have to offer, or getting in touch with us about any of the products, please visit the store at https://www.etsy.com/shop/ATouchofFunGames

Thanks, and happy gaming!

2014-10-28 16:54:09

Interesting, I just have a couple of questions.

First, what sort of games do you have? I've always fancied playing some of the casual fantasy board games like talisman or tokio battle, but obviously they aren't accessible. The only board games I've heard of tactile versions of are monopoly, chess, Backgammon, Snakes and Ladders, Scrabble and Ludo.

Second, you say you have two versions one with a more minimal braille setup requiring sighted assistance. Does the one with the larger amount of braille still involve print? or is it braille only, or do you mix and match. For example in braille monopoly, there are two sets of cards for each street, one set in print but with braille headings of the street names, and one in braille with print headings so that the banker (whether she/he is blind or not), can give players the correct version.

Chance and community chest cards are also written in both forms.

So, is this how the games work in access terms?

Any further information would be appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-28 18:35:43

Dark,

Good questions.  You're right, there aren't many accessible board games - which is part of why we're doing this.  Whenever we get a game, we have to figure out how to make it accessible...so why not share that knowledge (and the labor of making the necessary modifications) with the world?  I guarantee it can be done - sometimes it just requires thinking outside the box.  One of our favorite games is a massive fantasy adventure board game called Middle-earth Quest...the game is beautiful, and takes up about our entire dining room table.  It took a lot of work, but now my wife and I play it regularly, either just the two of us, or with friends, and my gameplay experience is the same as everyone else's, except for occasionally having to ask a question about something on the board (which could be remedied with a lot more work that just isn't necessary for us).

So anyway, if you visit the shop you can see what we currently offer, but I can tell you right now: we have currently listed Clue, Apples to Apples, Story Wars (a lighthearted fantasy-themed party game of making stuff up), Uno, and regular playing cards.  We have also brailled our personal copy of Citadels, another fantasy card game of strategy and resource management, but haven't listed it yet.

But like I said, we're just getting started, and we're always looking for new inventory to add.  So I will definitely check out Talisman and Tokyo battle and see if they could be made accessible/what work would need to be done...and if you have a specific request, you can always submit it directly through the shop.  We can't make any guarantees - there are some games that will always be inaccessible...but I've found that we can make a way for almost any card or board game to be playable.

Regarding your second question - with our current listings, there hasn't been a need to have separate print and braille cards, because we simply braille directly on the cards.  Our technique is to put identifying information in braille on the card, and then (if necessary) include supplemental information in a digital text document.  So for example, in Apples to Apples, you have "noun" cards which contain a word, but then the card also has flavor text that isn't required for gameplay, but can be pretty entertaining.  So we braille the word on the card, and then include a document containing the flavor text for all the cards if you want/need to reference it.  This works best for games like Apples to Apples, where all players draw from a communal pile - if you had separate braille and print versions of each card, the gameplay would be broken.  However, for instances where this wouldn't be an issue, we'd be open to brailling separate cards...just know that it'd drive the price up a little bit.

I'm curious - how does braille Monopoly handle the community Chest / Chance issue?  You can't have two identical decks, one braille and one print, and just have the blind players draw from the braille deck, as that would give them the possibility of drawing a card that's already been drawn from the sighted deck.

Oh, that gives me an opportunity to expand on the "fully accessible" versions.  So, if we were to make a braille Monopoly, we would offer two versions.  One would not have braille on any of the Chance/Community Chest cards, because there is no secret information on these cards, nor is there information blind players need to reference frequently - in other words, they could draw their card and simply have a sighted player read it aloud, without in any way affecting the fairness or balance of the gameplay.  However, we would also offer a fully-accessible version (more expensive because of the added time it takes to prepare), wherein these cards would be brailled so that a party of blind players could enjoy the game without any sighted help.

Hope that sufficed to answer your questions.  Sorry that it was a bit rambling...honestly the specifics will vary from game to game.  Feel free to ask any more questions you may have!

2014-10-28 21:22:55

Hi Joseph.

This does sound like a familiar process my parents and I did it for years and brailled such games as compatibility, various custom card games, and even at least in part atmosphere, though that one would have required custom braille and print cards to work sinse the cards themselves were too small to get all the braille on and often required specific instructions. 

Talisman is a little harder because you have the central board, various cards with instructions, and then a hole bunch of extra board sections you can slot around the sides. It's something my brother and his friends play often and I've always fancied doing so, indeed there is currently sort of a major industry in fantasy board games, not as complex as miniature war games but still with sort of an rp element.

As to braille monopoly, well the chance and community chest cards have both print and braille on them. I'm not exactly sure why they didn't do this with the cards for each property, maybe  it is because the braille  rent values are larger than the print ones, or maybe it's just so that sighted players who are keeping the cards for the properties they own don't have the issue of the braille text.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-28 21:50:25

Yeah, Settlers of Catan really started a new wave in independent, high-quality "nerdy" games.  Which I have no problem with ^_^

With something like Talisman, what we'd probably wind up having to do is putting the basic reference information on the card in braille, and then the card instructions in a separate document that would be accessible with a screen reader.  (That's assuming that the cards are drawn from a communal pile, making separate print and braille decks an invalid option).  So for example, in Middle-earth Quest, there are "Shadow" cards that have a certain cost, and specific effects/requirements for activation.  I have the name and cost brailled on the shadow cards, and then go to my document and find the shadow card with that name to read the effect/requirements, since those wouldn't fit on the card.  It's not the most streamlined solution, but it is the best one we've found that allows me to play without anybody knowing what's in my hand, and without giving anyone an unfair advantage or disadvantage. And of course, now I rarely refer to the document because I have all the effects committed to memory.

As for the pieces of the board that get added on, how we'd address that sort of depends on the information that players will need to know - whether we add braille labels or some other tactile source of information to the board, or what.  We really have to figure things out on a case-by-case basis.  But it doesn't sound like it'd be impossible.  You always have to be prepared for a little bit of a learing curve, but at the end of the day, being able to fully participate in the game is reward enough.

2014-10-29 13:37:51

I've heard of middle earth quest before I believe. A chap who lived opposite me in colidge said he once played a full lotr based game which could involve two players, one as the free people's of middle earth, the other as Sauron, or have a third player as Saruman.

that I believe also had shadow points or shadow cards that Sauron used from his description, though I don't know anyone who plays regularly.

Talisman is fun because the game is essentially a bit random and has all the sort of light hearted questing atmosphere of 80's D&D or the  fighting fantasy book series. It sounded rather fun.

As far as I understand it the board inserts are basically like boarders you slot around the main board which do different things and add locations, each with adventure cards and some extra rules. One of my brother's favourite extentions for example is the reaper rule, where on the board as well as the players is the reaper of death and the insert around the main board is the underworld. The reaper plays independently and when he catches up to players he rolls a dice for various effects that can do nasty stuff, including transporting people to the underworld, taking their life or whatever.

It's apparently not a game that people take seriously, but it sounded quite fun in it's random amusement and a good thing to play with a party of friends.

compatibility is also a game I'd recommend and one it's very easy to make accessible. You play in couples, or if you have an odd number of people you each take turns to couple up. You have a set of word cards each with six words, and each player has a set of picture cards which involve things from a wedding, to a picture that is plane white, to a picture of a teddybear, a lion, a rose, tranquil country scene, a man looking nurvous etc.

Each turn, someone picks a word card and rolls a dice to determine a word. These can be a lot of things from "smell" to "death" to "england" or even some wonderfully ambiguous terms like "open fire"

The couples each  then pick a number of cards, (the number dictated by what square on the board they're on), to illustate that concept to them, and place them in order of significance. For every direct match, people can move three squares along the board, for each indirect match, just one.

It's quite hilarious, and can cause major and quite commical arguements, especially when (as happened on one occasion when playing with my parents and some of my dad's friends), one of my dad's friends interpreted "open fire" as the thing you'd have on a harth, and the other assumed it meant "open fire" in the  military sense big_smile

the way we braille that was brailling one pack of picture cards for me, and sticking labels on the board with the right number of cards on each square (which also made the board tactile). The word cards we didn't bother brailling, sinse one word is always read for everyone so having someone else read the word that was picked wouldn't matter too much, but could if it were necessary.

2014-10-29 14:07:56

Ha, "Compatibility" sounds fun - sort of in the "Apples to Apples" family of party games.  There are a variety of games like that we'd like toget and braille eventually, and in general they're pretty easy to make accessible.  So if you ever want to place a custom order for something like that, just email my wife through the shop and we can probably make it happen.

The Lord of the Rings game you're referring to sounds similar to MEQ, but not quite the same.  In MEQ, one player does control Sauron, but one to three players control individual heroes (there's an Elf, a Dwarf, a Rohirrim, a Dunadan, and a Gondorian) and work cooperatively against him.  So at the end of the game, either Sauron wins, or the heroes win.  The game incorporates role-playing elements, including the ability to upgrade your hero's stats and skills, and has a pretty enjoyable combat mini-game that you use to fight various monsters or minions of Sauron.  The gameplay differs dependingon whether you're a hero or the Dark Lord; heroes play more of an exploration/adventure angle, wheras Sauron's gameplay is more built around strategy and resource management.  It's an extremely deep and detailed game, and from what I'm told, visually stunning.  I love it.  The downside?  The game itself is $60, I think...  Making the game 100% accessible to a blind player would take a LOT of work, but we've been able to get it so that all "secret" information is accessible, but leave all public information in print, since I'm always playing with at least one sighted player.

2014-10-29 19:26:06

MEQ sounds like a game I would pay you to make accessible for us.

2014-10-29 20:53:07

themadviolinist: If you want to email me at [email protected], or email my wife via the Etsy store, we can discuss details.  For example, there are some corners we cut when making the game accessible for us because it worked fine, after a bit of a learning curve, so I'd want to explain some of the options and see how you would want things done.  One initial question - would you need the game to be playable by a group of blind players, or will you have at least one sighted player to read public knowledge information, such as cards that are read to the whole table?

2014-10-30 14:17:48

Cool, I'll be in touch through the shop.

2014-10-31 05:20:55

Hi Joseph.

compatibility is a little like apples to apples, but more serious and more intended to actually see similarity of thought than have crazy fun with surreal humour, it can cause some rather entertaining arguements though big_smile.

As to middle earth quest, that sounds a great game and I agree with violinist, however I don't think it's an "either/or" situation, sinse even if I were playing with sighted players I'd like the opportunity to be able to read public stuff for myself.

So for public card's I'd suggest giving each a braille number, and then having a computer reference, especially if a blind player wanted to read some of the cards for himself/herself to get an idea of what some of them did.

2014-10-31 15:02:17

Dark - the idea of putting a number on each and then having a document with the text is definitely preferable to trying to braille all the contents - good idea.  It'd still take a significant bit of time to type all of that text - you're talking dozens (maybe hundreds) of cards with a paragraph of flavor text, plus instructions.  But the good news is, once it's typed once, we can use that document forever...as opposed to having to braille for each copy.  Not to mention the bulk of braille cards that would entail.

Anyway, those are the sorts of details we'll try to arrange whenever someone places a custom order; we'll do our best to explain the different information that needs to be presented, and the ways in which we can present it, and figure out what suits the individual player's preferences.  For me, I have no need to have that information in an accessible form, because the way the game works is that one player draws the card and reads it to the table - and I'm fine with that.  But others may prefer to have access to 100% of the text, and that's fine too.

2014-11-01 07:13:10

This is very interesting. I had previously looked  on 64 ounce games with hope but am a little disappointed their chosen selection doesn't line up with my interests. I may contact your wife but I need to do some thinking and research first.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-01 18:47:18

We'd be happy to work with you - just drop us a line.  If you want us to check out any specific games and quote what we think we'd need to charge in order to make them accessible, we can definitely do that.

2015-09-16 17:17:32

Just a little bit of shameless self-promotion - I wanted to mention to everyone that we're still happily modifying games to make them more accessible, and have made some additions to our inventory. We're currently a bit obsessed with the game "Munchkin" from Steve Jackson Games. It's a very tongue-in-cheek, light-hearted card game that spoofs everything about RPGs and a variety of genres from traditional fantasy to sci-fi to westerns and zombie apocalypse. Anyway, I play it all the time, and we're continuing to refine our system for making it as accessible as possible. The game has approximately 2,495,320,000 different core sets and expansions (give or take), all of which can be combined or played independently. If a particular Munchkin set you're interested in isn't on our shop inventory, just contact us to special order it, and it shouldn't be a problem.

And as always, we're happy to discuss special orders of other games - even ones we haven't heard of. We love finding new games to enjoy, and figuring out how to make them accessible - and we'd love to help do that for you, as well.

Okay, shameless self-promotion over. The truth is, guys, we really aren't in this for money - we just get a little bit of pocket change out of it, most of which we spend on games to braille. What really drives us is the fact that enjoying games together is such an important part of our relationship, and it means so much to be able to spread that to others. So if you need a break from audio games, definitely check us out - all our info is still in the first post.

2015-09-16 17:22:10 (edited by Joseph Westhouse 2015-09-16 17:31:12)

Oops - double post:

I just realized the link to our Etsy shop in the first post was broken. I have fixed it, and for convenience, will post it in this post as well: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ATouchofFunGames

Also, I just noticed that several titles aren't showing up in our inventory (including Munchkin). My wife's looking into that, and hopefully it should be resolved soon. I'll post when the inventory is up-to-date.

Sorry about that!

2015-09-17 10:07:30

@Joseph wow! I had forgotten about this topic I confess, however I'm also extremely! interested in the fact your doing Munchkin. Various Munchkin versions are favourites with my brothers friends and with friends of mine as well. Annoyingly the group I used to rp with who also played munchkin are not meeting regularly owing to the fact that the gm and his wife had a baby, however they do plan to start games in the future and I'll ask if this is something they'd be interested in doing for a bit of light fun particularly if the gm isn't available to create the sorts of massive campaigns he used to do when we were playing mutants full time.

I'd also be interested in any fun two player cardgames you might have, particularly more unusual or whacky ones, though those would need to be accessible to two blind players.

2015-09-17 16:45:26

Gah - people having babies, and letting that get in the way of RPing...the nerve!

The very first game we brailled (also the first indy game we got as a couple, which really set us down this path) is an offering from Fantasy Flight Games called Citadels - it's a two-player, fantasy-themed card game of resource management, strategy, and a bit of subterfuge. We're hoping to list it soon...we just need to get a new copy, cause ours is way too beat up to make nice pictures. Totally playable by two blind players, though. Also check out our listing for Story Wars - it's technically a card game, and definitely fun and extraordinarily wacky.

We'd also be more than happy to work with you on getting whatever Munchkin set(s) you'd like. Few things bring me more joy than sharing the joy of Munchkin with the world...that game cracks me up.

2015-09-18 11:42:42

@Joseph munchkin would be cool, my brothers' mentioned some of the cards in different versions he's played, like the spiky paladin, the amazing power known as "Buy the gm a drink", and one of my favourites, the long eared alien which you get points for killing who's name is bottle bottle big_smile.
Do you have some information on citadels?
Storywars looked rather fun, though I think that one would require some of my friends from rp as munchkin would, sinse right now I'm not meeting for multiplayer games with anyone regularly.

One thing however, I noticed the site your using said very clearly on the description for storywars "shipped only within the united states" which would pretty much make buying anything from you impossible for myself (I'm in England of course), and for quite a few other people as well. I do hope your not limited to just one country. any thoughts on this?

Btw, you might also consider contacting Tom Lorimer the webmaster of www.whitestick.co.uk about getting your site listed on one or other of his various lists of helpful links, maybe the "games to play offline" one as 64 oz games have done.

2015-09-21 15:12:17

Hmm - I don't remember that we had intentionally limited our shipping to the US. I'll look into that. Also, thanks for the recommendation about getting our name out.

Bottle-Bottle must die! Some of my other favorite monsters include:
- "The Gazeebo." It's literally a gazeebo with angry eyes. The card text reads, "Nobody can help you. You must face the Gazeebo alone."
- "Level 1 Potted Plant." The "Bad Stuff" that happens if you lose to it: "Nothing happens. It's a plant."
- The "Sheep Ones" from the Munchkin Cthulhu expansion. THeir "Bad Stuff": "Nothing happens. They may be disciples of the dark gods from beyond time and space...but they're still just sheep."

Regarding Citadels, I'll track down an official description from FantasyFlight and post it here - off to work now, but I'll get that done when I have the chance. As for pricing info, we haven't decided yet.

Will let you know when we look into that shipping info, and once the Munchkin listings are up!

2015-09-21 15:33:09

Hi joseph.

Knowing about shipping and pricing would be good sinse while I'm sure what you are doing is awesome, I don't think I'd want to emigrate just to play them big_smile.

Which munchkin version if any I'd need I don't know at this stage sinse annoyingly as I said my rp group isn't exactly regular at the moment, though it's quite probable when said child gets beyond the stage where he's needing constant attention something will come up.

2015-09-22 01:06:33

Do you have settlers of Katan, or think you could do that?

My friends play it all the time, but I've only played it twice, so I'm not too familiar with it. It would be nice for each tile to have a tactile symbol, and if there were something to hold them in place while I felt them.

2015-09-22 15:29:23

I'd have to think long and hard about how to make Settlers work - as you said, the hard part would be getting pieces to stay in place so you can feel them. My sister and brother-in-law are big into Settlers, though, so I may talk with them and try to get some ideas.

Also, for everyone's information, our listings are now up-to-date, and I believe we're now able to calculate out shipping costs based on your location anywhere in the world. As I've mentioned before, if you have any questions about one of our listings, or want to ask about doing something a little different than the way we've described it in the listing, don't hesitate to ask!

2015-09-22 17:08:12

You could attach velcro to the bottoms of each tile. Not the soft side of velcro, but the rough side. That way, you can include a board with cloth on top to stick them to, but if I lose or damage that, I could just rig up a new thing with a towel or something.

2015-09-22 17:43:55

The tiles aren't the major issue - if I recall, Settlers involves little pieces that represent roads or somesuch, that are laid along the edges of the tiles? Figuring out how to keep *those* in place - that's the trick.