2014-10-27 05:35:37

Hi,
I have been doing okayish after I got someone to give me a cloak so that I wouldn't die as soon as I walked out plus the bug with cold seems to have been fixed so that makes things eazyer,too.
I kind of gave up on that cha and started a new one at mistral and have already traned a bit of herbalism, I would have liked to train  a few weapon skills too but so far I haven't found a way to train them after I learn them from a trainer.
Each weapon also has a set max damage that it does and there's no way for one to know that damage besides trying the weapon out.
When it comes to activities I have tried forageing which pays good if you have a good run not so much otherwise.,and mineing which wasn't really that good,even with a handcart.
in a hour, I got only 1 piece of some metal (can't remember which atm) and the rest of it was wasted in clearing rubble,stopping because of that rumble effect and clearing rubble again.
and the process is slightly painful,too. If you have a light source, a pickaxe and a handcart, if you want to move to another room, you need to put a pickaxe in the bag, drop lightsource,pull kart,move to another room,stop pulling,go back to that other room, pick up lightsource,go back to the room with the kart,drop lightsource, get pickaxe and of course start mineing. you see what I mean?
I have tried a  bit of fishing as well,but that isn't really profitable. mostly,that is.
What other activities have you all done and any recommendations plus a few steps to do them  besides forageing?
oh and, for anyone that is interested,the characters I have on there are bayus and vongrippen tongue
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2014-10-27 11:09:30

Ah, so that was you.

I've tried hunting but without decent skinning skill you just don't get much pay, plus you tend to get a lot of minor injuries from it and a lot of the time your prey escapes before you can kill them.

Logging can work quite well if you have a saw mill nearby. I had been getting 120 riln per spruce tree near Shadgarde which is fairly meh for the large amount of time it takes to clear the branches off the felled tree, but when I found a birch tree a little way out from Haiban then used the watermill to saw it up into flitches I got 416 riln for a single tree. Nice thing about logging too is it gives you plenty of branches to start a fire if you need to or to work on your woodworking skill if you don't. Just bear in mind you will occasionally  get a tree landing on you.

From what I gather when you've learned a skill from a trainer they give you 1 point in the skill then for 24 hours your skill increase in that skill is doubled, up to a maximum of an extra 2.5 skill. You can only have 3 skills doubling in this way but they clear out after you hit either limit, so if you earn 5 total points in the skill that's done and you can train it again or train something else.

I also believe you can get lessons from other players but I'm not sure how this works.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-28 15:42:26

Hi cx2,

Thanks for the answers.
I guess hunting is the only eazy way to increase weapon skills and that's what I'm thinking to use it for. but its not fast enough for my likeing. plus, if you hunt a lot you could have the gaea after you. so I can't do it the eazy way either.

People say infested is another eazy way to raise your weapon skills, however most times they gang upon you and currently all my 3 study slots are taken with none of them riseing at a good pace so I can't go learn first aid. People are generally good enough to travel to  you and heel your ass,though.
I'll give logging a go, I have enough money now although I have been saveing it for a horse but I guess a logging axe isn't that much in price anyway. :d
I have taken spears as my main weapon for now, with hurl and marksmenship as the other 2, but I dunno I'd probably switch from spears to swords or such and a ranged weapon as well.
I have seen a flintlock in the weapon stores,is that more damageing as compared to a bow or better in any way,or both are quite the same?

I haven't really needed to build fires yet,but maybe that's because I haven't done any logging near shadgard and I generally wear a few wollen clothes to give me a fare cold protection.

grryf

Follow me on twitter

2014-10-28 19:07:08

I really don't know about flintlocks, I'm not any more experienced than you are in the game I just have a knack for figuring out new games.

Infested are tricky without some skills. I've just started being able to do some good against them but not in great numbers, and only because I got some skill boosts from joining the mercenaries. Just as a note though marksmanship is a general ranged skill that gives a boost to all ranged weapon attacks, similarly melee works for melee attacks so I'd separate them out from the usual weapon skills.

I've been using a glaive but I'm thinking of switching to swords, the idea appeals to me that I can swap between a large double handed sword and a single handed sword plus a torch or shield should I ever need to.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-28 19:11:18

Mining can make a really, really, good chunk of money if you stick it out long enough.  I can make 8000 on a good run with one wagonfull, it just takes a bit to get going.  Training weapons is best done on infested, and, take a partner with you...take bandages, run away when it gets too much.  the carriers get easier, quite quickly.

2014-10-29 10:17:12

Wagons require horses though. If I had a horse and a wagon I could probably make a small fortune chopping trees and sawing them into flitches.

Grryf, I'll have to look out for you in game and see if we can't contrive an IC meeting some time so we can go poke some infested. Thanks to some bonuses from joining the mercenaries I can handle bloated carriers quite nicely the main problem being running out of energy, I ended up being swamped by 5 with them turning up at staggered intervals and managed to take down three before I had to pull back from exhaustion.

cx2
-----

2014-10-29 14:46:26

Hi,
I liked the idea of a cha with a spear the best and I may go ahead with it,but for now I'll either stick it out with  dual shortswords (which work quite well imo) or a longsword and a shield.
I still haven't been able to decide on a guild yet,but for now I'm looking for a combat oriented guild rather than a pieceful one.
Mercs interested me the best at first,but compareing them to other guilds their benefits aren't all that great and at a first glance it seems a bit limited in abilities.
While I can handle the carriers just fine with a little practice, its the damage that gets to be a pain after a while.
Shrug, I've heard about mineing from a lot of people and they all agree that it gets better with skill, private mines etc,but its actually a tad boreing,doesn't  really pay enough (at this level anyway) it is the highest skill I have,btw,and isn't really worth the time spent and the profits gained.
cx2, feel free to sendm a tell if you see me around and sinse you are from the UK we actually may be on at the same time,too. :d
grryf

Follow me on twitter

2014-10-30 03:38:25

Dang Malok that's a ton of cash. I can make around 2700 riln from foraging with a full satchel and that helped a lot.  Plus getting it to 60 will enable you to make poultices.

2014-10-30 06:56:31

Whew 2700 is a lot for foraging, you must go through quite a lot of rooms to fill that up.

Grryf, it all depends whether you want pure combat or some magical abilities as well. The mercs get hands down the best weapon bonuses while the knights Templar seem to get some decent magical abilities to support them, with the ability to heal scrapes but only scrapes, and both get the armour mastery ability which helps with armour encumberance among other things. Brotherhood of the Fist are brawlers, no armour or weapons just hand to hand.

I'd thought about various guilds but after playing for a while mercs just felt right. I don't know how much is character concept and how much is play style but I got to a point where I pretty much knew that was where I was going. I guess it shows how good the concept of letting you choose your guild/class later after you've played for a while is, I'd definitely have chosen differently if I had to choose up front at creation and I may have ended up rerolling a few times before I felt happy with him.

cx2
-----

2014-10-30 13:29:12 (edited by cw 2014-10-30 13:40:45)

I'm thinking about trying this mud out. Is the sound pack werth getting. Is there anything I should look out for when useing the pack? When I come up with a char name, is there a type of name I should create? Just wondering. How exzackly is this pack set up? Do I have to just put it in the folder under vipmud by the name of the mud?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-10-30 18:26:05

Actually, the Knight's Templar can heal up to moderate wounds, and there is a lot that goes with them.  The dwaden or the Udemi are pretty decent at combat, and the udemi are awesome at bows.

I'll argue forever that mining, in fact, is worth the time spent putting into it.  Lol.

2014-10-30 18:27:06

sorry for double post.  Flintlocks aren't the greatest weapon, however, if you can find the ...eh...better firearms in game you're in business.  you've got to keep supplying them with powder, so, until your firearm/marksman skills go up it's a money hog.  powder is like 15 riln per 30 shots I believe.

2014-10-30 19:42:52

Ah, I'd been going by the wiki. Presumably it could use a couple updates. Being able to heal up to moderate wounds is pretty good, though presumably it takes a fair amount of work to get to that ability. Especially for wounds caused by crush damage which don't seem to be bandagable outside of a healer, those are a real pain.

cx2
-----

2014-10-30 21:04:36

untreated bandages can only be applied to light wounds or less.  poultices, at 50 herbalism, will heal the more serious wounds.

2014-10-31 08:09:24

Ah, thanks. I could swear I've had bandages on worse wounds than that but maybe all they did was stop the bleeding.

cx2
-----

2014-11-01 18:53:40

Yep, you can bandage any wound with a bandage, but if you're bleeding (or past a certain threshold) it won't heal it, it'll just stop the bleeding.

2014-11-02 02:20:26

Hi Everyone.
I just started playing clok and I'm in the town of haven I think it's called. I've just been wondering around the town without anything to do. I bought a dagger but what do I do now? Is there some kind of quest to start out with?
Thanks.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-11-02 09:03:26

Sounds like you're in Haiban, not quite Haven but an easy mistake. I'd also suggest you find a general store and make sure you have at least 5 or so travel rations with you, then you can pretty much do whatever you like. There isn't a starting quest.

A good way to start out is to go foraging, remove a container so you're not wearing it and type forage while you're in the wilderness. You'll automatically put anything you forage into a held but not worn container, then you can take it to a market and sell container which doesn't sell the container but does sell any commodity items within such as berries and herbs.

People are pretty good so if you're ever unsure ask on the question channel.

cx2
-----

2014-11-02 20:46:20

Hi Cx2.
Thanks for the help it's a little strange playing a mud where you can do whatever you want.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-11-02 21:02:42

You're right it is, but that's also the beauty of Clok is that you're not limited.  I can definitly see where this would confuse or outright turn people away but it's nice, at least for me anyway who just wants to try a bunch of different things.  That and the admins always doing events with us.
Don't forget to vote for the mud if you like both on TMC and TMS.

2014-11-03 23:43:04

Quick question, How do you come up with an exceptible name for a char in this mud?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-11-04 01:39:57

I just used a fantasy name generator and found one that worked for me.  You can always check with the GM's to make sure that it's all good with them but I haven't seen anyone having to change their names.

2014-11-04 16:42:53

Ok. let's see how this does. Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a market? I'm at a town called Mistral Lake. I have a few plant things to sell...

DropBox Referral

2014-11-04 19:52:43

Yeah should be one southeast of the main square.  It also has market in the room title.

2014-11-05 00:08:21 (edited by cw 2014-11-05 03:50:14)

Thanks. I don't know how I missed it. LOL. Anyway, I'm kalal. I'm slow trying to devilip a back story, because I haven't got a good one in my mind just yet. ok ok ok, I hinted at one on the esp thing. I most likely will not have one until I figure out the kinds of things I like doing. For all practicle reasons that I can think of, I'm a happy go lucky no body with a possible past. LOL.

DropBox Referral