2014-10-06 16:36:51

OS X will run on non-Apple hardware, but the experience is always a bit sucky. My advice to the naughty people who want to do this is to obtain VMWare Workstation and then apply a patch that disables the safety check. That check simply allows the guest OS to run, it doesn't add any more support. And the Hackintosh community would be hard-pressed to go up against the almighty VMWare and it shows.

Wait a minute, am I advocating something that Apple doesn't want you to do? Hmm. big_smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-06 16:59:47

I'm using amd and how can I run mac os x mavericks on my pc?

2014-10-08 03:17:04

@Fatih, you don't want to try. Its a very terrible and useless idea; Apple lies when they say they don't use drivers. You need more drivers than you've ever downloaded before: display drivers, video drivers, etc. Plus, the experience isn't like it is with apple computers.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-10-08 09:21:01

Apple say they don't use drivers? That's the first I've heard of that. I always just figured they include such a large range of drivers for peripherals that you almost never need to install them yourself, with the closed format of Mac hardware meaning they can easily include the appropriate system drivers anyway. No system can run without some kind of driver.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-08 12:57:55

The drivers cover all the hardware Apple has, of course. Sometimes builds of the operating system diverge briefly during the intro of some new hardware while Apple has not yet released an update, but largely it will converge again once a mainstream, generally-available build succeeds it. This means everybody has more drivers than they need, but also that most installations of the OS will run on any Mac. It's still nothing compared to Windows though, and of course Apple does drivers right, i.e. without installers or bloat, so you largely end up with a leaner OS anyway. smile

That is, of course, unless you try to build a Hackintosh. Honestly, why bother? Virtualise; it's much easier.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-09 15:56:09

cx2 wrote:

It wouldn't be the first time a software company has skipped version numbers to make a product look more mature than it is, though in something as venerable as Windows it is an unusual choice. Personally it just gives me the impression that they aren't confident enough in their market position or their marketing strategies to guarantee success of this new version and so are resorting to alternative tactics.

I'm not saying that is the case, that is simply what I as a consumer read into it instead of the concept of a mature product. Perception counts for a lot in business and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will perceive this as a sign of MS's potential insecurity, in the confidence sense.

You're totally right buddy. Microsoft is struggling to show that, "The next windows is going to have a very big jump from windows 8 and 8.1, and it will be very different and new!"
So i think the main reason is that, really.
My only remaining hope is that microsoft really start working on the self-Screen reader, and make it something close to VoiceOver.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2014-10-11 12:03:26

I meant using it in a vm.

Ethin wrote:

@Fatih, you don't want to try. Its a very terrible and useless idea; Apple lies when they say they don't use drivers. You need more drivers than you've ever downloaded before: display drivers, video drivers, etc. Plus, the experience isn't like it is with apple computers.

2014-10-11 18:18:15

Still, fatih. Don't try it. If you don't have a mac, its not worth using the tools to bypass the check process. In fact, I tried it once and the mac still didn't boot. Don't try it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-10-29 11:43:13

hi,
When I downloaded the updated build from the preview builds section of the settings app, now I can't use the keyboard to navigate modern windows apps and I can't try to log into skype. When I try to log in, it says oops, there was a proplem. We can't sign in to skype at this time. Try again. And I click retry but nothing seems to happen. The kayboard bug must be from NVDA because when I look at the log it says something about ui autamation. Since I'm not 18 I can't join the Microsoft insider program so please give me instructions about sending tickets to NV-access. Adn btw skype keeps asking for my permission for webcam and microphone. I click allow and it askss again and again.
Thanks