2014-10-20 21:52:12

Hello,
I was just looking through my gmail account and realized I receive upward of around 1000 emails a day. I have my gmail very nicely organized into folders, but I am looking at my google drive limit and it is at 20% just with email. I have nothing else in my google drive.
This is in 5 years of using gmail, so it is not looking good if google does not raise their google drive limit.

This is what I would like to know:
Is there a way to search and list a list's archives that are online, without needing to actually receive emails from the list? I still would like to be subscribed to the list and have the ability to send messages, but I don't want all that extra email filling my google drive.
for example:
I get emails from [email protected].
I don't read most of them, but I like to go back and look at threads every so often to see what has been going on. I also like to send emails to the list every few months, when I have a question about my squeaker.
This list gets between 30-100 messages a day. over 3 years, that is about 87600 messages.
Now, all googlegroups are stored on googlegroups.com, but I really hate going onto googlegroups.com, doing a search and fighting with their ever-changing interface. Especially when I send an email, I would like to just be able to hit reply from my client.

This is just one example. I am subscribed to about 45 email lists and I have sent an email on each one in the last year and have read email from each one in the last 6 months. I do unsubscribe from the emails I don't read anymore. But this is something around 1000+ emails a day and I really don't need all those going into my gmail.

I use Thunderbird.
This seems like it would be an addon for the client rather than a setting in gmail or something else.
please let me know if you have any ideas or if you also have this problem!

2014-10-21 02:55:40

Going online to the archive is incredibly archive-specific, and it is my understanding that there is no protocol to connect a client to them.  I.e. you can only do this if you download the e-mails.
Now, as for searching-sure.  If you make rules that send the e-mails for the various lists to unique folders, Thunderbird has a search box.  You can apply these rules to your pre-existing folders pretty easily, too.  I believe the search keystroke is ctrl+k or ctrl+shift+k.  You've just got to separate them out with some rules.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-10-21 23:21:32

My problem is that I sink my email across many devices, so pop is kind of out of the question. I was looking at google drive and in 20 years, I may hit the cap for emails. If I wished to do anything else in google drive, it may be worth buying the $2 a month 100 gig limit.

2014-10-24 09:29:42

Hi, Well, you can erase e-mails from your google account. for example before a year i used about 90 % of my gmail, so I searched for all e-mail larger than 2 NB, removed to trash and then cleaned up the trash. see this topic about how to search in the gmail via various keywords: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7190?hl=en

check out my instrumental music at http://ondrosik.bandcamp.com

2014-10-25 00:08:52

Wouldn't emptying your trash give you more space?
I know it's a real pain to do, because you can't select all and delete, at least not on the gmail website. But then again, if you're moving the vast majority of those emails into your trash anyway, it does auto delete some of them eventually.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-10-25 03:26:25

What about IMAP?

2014-10-27 00:03:58

Challenge the email you get. Don't accept build-up that isn't warranted. If much of the list traffic isn't getting looked at, or if you've thought of doing a delete-all on the folder contents, then unsubscribe or, if you still need to send occasionally, go nomail on the lists. Personally, I find my email clients to be sacred places of worship, and would sooner the traffic I value be there for me to access, so if that means junking Gmail then IMO do it--they're pretty rotten, anyway. Gmail does provide a way to do server-side rules processing, so you can and should ruthlessly prioritise your email viewing.

There are several ways to do archives. If the group is mirrored to an NNTP server, e.g. using Gmane, then the obvious solution for you is to configure NNTP access. Otherwise, if you don't like the Google Groups interface (I don't either, but I can live with it) then subscribe the lists you're interested in to a service like The Mail Archive (my fave) and then use it to browse the lists from time to time, in passing.

Use IMAP. POP3 is now irrelevant.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-28 11:08:56

If you want to do more things on gmail, don't use the basic HTML. just use the standard view instead. you can empty trash without selecting those email.
hth
Socheat.