2014-10-20 17:07:36 (edited by nyanchan 2014-10-20 17:13:32)

Hi.
I'm recently fasing a small but annoying problem using NVDA and Firefox. When I try to press a button on web page, Firefox doesn't receive the input, or try to focus a different button. For example, when I try to apply my order on Amazon, I can't proceed to checkout because pressing the button makes focus jump to delivery options or gift setting checkbox. Sometimes, firefox window hides and desktop appears.
One thing I noticed is that NVDA seems to identify the location of the button incorrectly. I checked that by pressing NVDA+shift+M to locate the mouse to the currently focused object. The mouse moved to desktop, of course no buttons there. If I close NVDA and press the button, it certainly succeeds.
This doesn't happen every time, so I don't know what is causing the problem. Does anyone know any solutions, or do I have to report this to NVDA development team?
I'm using NVDA 2014.3, not 2014.3 JP.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2014-10-21 16:18:58

Hi.
I may know what the problem is. Do you have use screen layout on? If so, you need to turn it off. Screen layout makes the screen look to nvda as it would to a sighted person, which means that focus has to be exactly on the link or button to click it.
I don't use nvda much, but I believe the keystroke is caps lock v.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2014-10-21 21:57:36

NVDA is focusing weirdly on some controls, or not receiving their propper locations. For some reason certain applications seem to screw up nvda's focus, winamp being the primary example that does it for me. It is mind bogglingly irritating. I have to close winamp and minimise most windows if I want to access dropbox from the system tray for example.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-10-22 04:12:12

Hi.
I turned screen layout off and find it to be a lot better than before.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-10-22 15:15:17

I tried turning off screen layout. but nothing seems to change. Exiting NVDA and restarting after clicking the link or button may be the best way to avoid the problem.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2014-10-22 15:22:33

I'm also having a problem where I can't access most flash objects through firefox.  I've got flash installed, yet internet explorer works most of the time, yet FF doesn't seem to with NVDA.  any ideas?  I don't really want to have to switch from NVDA/ff to explorer and jaws every time I want to view a video or something.

2014-10-24 11:08:43

Hi.
Here's what I do.
when I come across an object. I press NVDA plus slash key, to rout it to that object, then press just left mouse button. That will usually play the movie or what ever you're watching. If not. Try NVDA and space, then left mouse button.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-10-24 15:44:50

Hello guys,
I use Jaws with firefox, there might be some differences between Jaws and NVDA, but they may have something similar in common. It happen even to me firefox get crashed, the main screen of firefox hides, and the only thing to make firefox work again is by exiting it from task manager. Try disabling some add-ons and it might work properly. I did this by going to tools from within add-ons manager, or press ctrl+shift+A, click "Never activate" for some who you think that are not so much necessary to use and close and open again your mozilla browser.
Hope I could help a little.