2014-10-13 09:28:48

It's been a long time since I made an official release announcement about AudioQuake, and I'm still not tired of doing it. smile

Matt (the leading coder and other half of the project) has put together and finalised the working executables for both Mac and Windows (7+, I'm awfully sorry XP users, I'll try and get to you, eventually …) that include the game launcher and modernised engine that we have been using for a while now. Other than that, the project is essentially unchanged from our last release, although with the new TTS stub and restored video renderer we will expect that you will notice some differences in the way that it operates. We have not yet addressed any particular grievances with gameplay, and to be honest--because we've got to be honest--the game is now of mostly historical interest, and LDL is probably of more immediate interest to new tinkerers, and is as yet not included. This is clearly beta; the first thing you will need to do is allow the Windows firewall access to the game in the modal window which appears (without speech feedback). Still, please, have a blast, frag away, and enjoy yourselves. And if you have feedback or bug reports, post them to our Google group (or just here, if you're lazy, although I'll have to manually enter them for Matt to see them). Frag this way for your copy of the AudioQuake beta.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-13 11:54:05

Hi.
Interesting stuff. I'll see if I can get it to work on my Mac. I tried it very long time ago, but without much success at all. But I think it's time to give it a try again.
Do I need to find an old copy of the original version of Quake for Mac, or is this included in the beta version?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-10-13 12:10:22 (edited by SLJ 2014-10-13 12:13:18)

Hi again.
So, I have just read the very limited readme, and played around with the tutorial.
Sorry to say, but the tutorial doesn't make much sense to me. No explnation about what all those sonar beeps means. The tutorial says step on the platform to find the exit, but where is the platform? i then continued, and then it sounded like someone was shooting at me. I couldn't hit them. Is it just me, or is the tutorial realy that bad? I hate to give such bad feedback, and I would like to read more about how it works. Time to check out the website...
Edit:
No, I can't find any more documentation or explanation on the website. I found a link called training, but that led me to something totally different. Lol.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-10-13 14:50:33

Hi,
This is actually quite interesting. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm wondering what's going to happen from here. Is the game re-entering development or is it more of a way to get the modern systems working with it?

2014-10-13 14:56:03

hi.
this game runs on win- 8.1 64bites?
I tried but give me a  error.
what should i do to play this game in the win- 8.1 if it works?
thanks.
cheers.

2014-10-13 16:13:56

sorry to say, but those sounds are crap, pack 1 is missing. those sounds were  from original quake. please improve the sounds!

devin

2014-10-13 18:05:33

Hi sebby, I think that concept of audioquake dedicated for us is very god idea, but I have a question.
Are you going to make audioquake based of newest version of quake than quake 1.
It is so old version and I think that remaking and modyfying old version of this hasnt any sense.
Also I hope that the navigation system will be better than in previous version and I want to see a single player mode better akcessible for us than previous releases.

2014-10-13 18:22:43

hi, on windows vista I have the following error
Traceback (most recent call last):  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console.py", line 27, in <module>  File "AudioQuake.py", line 7, in <module>  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\GUI\__init__.py", line 74, in <module>  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\GUI\Colors.py", line 8, in <module>  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\GUI\Color.py", line 8, in <module>ImportError: DLL load failed: Nie można uruchomić aplikacji, ponieważ jej konfiguracja równoczesna jest niewłaściwa. Więcej szczegółów można znaleźć w dzienniku zdarzeń aplikacji.
OK

2014-10-13 19:21:25

Yeah, why noone is doing quake 2 or 3? these sounds much much better and are better actually.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2014-10-14 01:05:54 (edited by Sebby 2014-10-14 01:08:27)

Thanks all for the comments so far.

@SLJ, It's all there in the beta, no additional software required. You're right, the docs are missing in action at the moment. I wonder if we could reuse the docs we already had; I will look into it, but for now it's mostly going to make sense to previous players. Please join the group and ask your questions if you have the mind for it. The tutorial is mostly harmless, but it might not make sense to a complete newbie.

@aaron: To be honest we're just trying to get it running on modern machines. If somehow we were able to rekindle the past, we might do it, but Quake I really is an old game, and yeah, I don't expect that we'll get many newcomers. Still, we'd appreciate all the help we can get. I'm afraid neither of us has the time we used to, so things are just naturally very slow. smile

@mario: It should be. Please join our group; we need more Win8 users. smile

@speeder: You should be getting Mindgrid sounds and the Quake demo sounds; if not, please file an issue, or post a note to our group.

@seal: actually, we investigated Quake III at one point, but settled for Mindgrid instead. You're right it's a more modern game, but it was also exclusively multiplayer arena and we didn't see any compelling reasons. Perhaps, if we'd had the time, but we didn't. In fact, most of the work for AQ was already done when Id put out the sources. My only regret was that we never finished the audio renderer, because the Quake I codebase was hardcoded to be stereo, whereas Quake III had an OpenAL driver port for all the platforms.

@mojsior: the game mechanics have not changed, sorry. AQ was intended to be played by both blinks and sighties, although there are a few sticking points in reality. If we could have adapted Quake without modifying it, you can be sure that we would have. smile

Vista isn't working yet. We will need to look into that, at some point. However, you're looking at a launcher issue, so maybe we can resolve it. Please join our group if you can.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-14 21:43:29

Hi.
I look very much forward to see the improved documentation when you get the time to work on it. I'll keep trying, and maybe join the group, or maybe wait a bit until I get more time. Keep up the good work guys.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-10-14 21:44:48

speeder wrote:

sorry to say, but those sounds are crap, pack 1 is missing. those sounds were  from original quake. please improve the sounds!

The project is OpenSource, so join the group and help the team by better sounds when you think they suck that much. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2014-10-14 21:51:22

Oh, I forgot to ask a question:
How do i quit the game on the Mac? Command q, the letter q and escape doesn't work, so I have to quit the application the hard way unless I'm missing an other keystroke. Or, is this a bug?

Best regards SLJ.

2014-10-14 22:38:25

OK, Matt has converted the docs into MD, and as soon as we've polished that up, we'll publish, including the sound tour. And yeah, if you want better sounds, and you have copylefted licenses (GPL-compatible) for them, please do get in touch and we can look into including them. Our priority right now, though, is to get people playing the game, as it was then, now.

@SLJ, you should be able to press tilde ("~") on your keyboard to get into the console, and then type quit. Hopefully. smile

As usual comments/feedback/patches welcome …

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-15 03:08:19

I like this game.
OffTopik Question: ¿How to create / install a mod?
This is an accesible audio game, keep up the good work man!

Luis Carlos Gonzáles Moráles, from Panama!

2014-10-15 03:18:37

Are there currently any multiplayer servers up? I doubt so since the beta was just released but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-10-15 04:24:03

The mod format may be looked into again if we get Cara Quinn's JediQuake made available through the official release; hopefully she'll be happy to do that. Basically though, to create a mod you overload the filesystem as seen by Quake through the use of pak files and/or data files in the data directory. I will see if/how we can let users tamper with the contents of the packages (easy on Mac, of course; inside the app bundle).

I doubt very much that there are servers up. And while you can run a server from the game itself, it is usually more convenient to run the server program. It is noted that people will wish to do this. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-15 15:36:38

hello, can you play all 4 episodes or just 1 episode of the game, like in the jediquake portable mod? and in ep 1 map 7, there's this monster which seems to be right in the lava and I can't kill it. how do I kill it?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-10-15 16:35:56

Just the first, with the demo pack. You could interpose your own pakfiles if you have them, perhaps later.

I'll have to play some of the sp maps again but I do recall that some of them are quite tricky. Please join the group and someone may be able to instruct you from memory, because to be honest I've forgotten the strategy for each individual map. I do know that firing vertically is a real challenge however; perhaps we can identify specific cases and do something about them.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-16 16:44:21

hi the game sounds and the game in general are really laggy and keep jumping around. also I've noticed that when I play normal quake, my character just started playing himself! I didn't have too do anything, he went through the hole map slaughtering monsters and picking up loot.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-10-16 17:21:26

I'm pretty sure that would be a demo. Youu can record yourself playing a map and then play it back later. When you click on play to play quake, a demo recording plays.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-10-18 12:23:33

why the demo recording? How do I start the normal game?

2014-10-18 22:45:25

to be rid of the demos, go into id1/mod.cfg, and // (double slash) the line that says, "startdemos demo1 demo2 demo3." this will remove those demos from playing at the beginnning though you can play them anyway after by typing playdemo followed by the name of the demo.

devin

2014-10-18 23:07:17 (edited by stewie 2014-10-18 23:15:39)

I've found what appears to be a bug. I'm not sure if this is limited to the tutorial or not.

After a while sapi just seems to stop speaking. Nothing I do is able to reenable it.

Also trying to save a game in the tutorial says "Unable to save ultiplayer games."

I've confirmed it, sapi seems to break after a certain number of calls for some reason.

2014-10-26 22:05:14

Thank you.

FYI: Matt is stuck trying to get Windows running uner Yosemite without paying VMWare even more money. We apologise for the delay. smile

Just myself, as usual.