2014-10-11 16:12:50

Media player classic is very good. It's what I use on Windows for video due to the previously mentioned not as accessible interface of VLC. I also keep KMplayer around, only because it has the ability to read subtitles with TTS as they come up which comes in useful for things like anime, but it feels a bit more bloated than MPC.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-10-11 17:17:07

There is a dedicated player for OS X called Decibel.

Myself, I don't understand the hatred of iTunes or iPod. But we've been here before. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-11 21:14:07 (edited by Nocturnus 2014-10-11 21:20:27)

it comes down to personal preference, and how could  a person not have problems with a bit of software that hinders such a thing?  When you're a windows user, you start getting used to various things, IE, being able to accomplish almost every task in a number of ways.  Foobar is but another example of this matter.  From the simple like playing and stopping music, to the more complex like converting files and adding music to playlists, foobar has at least two, and in some cases three or more methods to accomplish the same thing, so one gets to pick and choose which feels most comfortable.  Those who never wish to deal with the window can avoid it for the most part as I do through the use of global keys.  You don't really have much of a comparison between the two concepts; foobar not only plays media but does it in a way that is customizable and convenient.  From my experiences with iTunes, it would seem that apple is not interested in giving you anything more or less than a bit of software they feel does the job however it does the job, and for windows users that just isn't enough.  Apple may have created a feature full application with a simplistic enough interface to learn and which can even be precise wherever it needs to be, but personally, I'm not interested on how much I can do with an application; I'm interested on how much that application will do for me, how much it will accommodate to my wants and be the application I feel that it's supposed to be rather than being the tool someone else thinks it should be, particularly since the software is aimed at entertainment and entertainment is supposed to be a comfort and an enjoyable matter rather than something you have to work at regularly.  Foobar may have started off as something entirely different from what it is now; I'll never know, but I don't have to care, because it works for me however I want it to work for me whenever I want it to work for me.  And iTunes?  If I have to tab to access a fair amount of information on a regular basis or use commands that just don't feel familiar or comfortable and which I can't tweek to my liking, I end up with but a simple question... What ever for, when I can have choice?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-10-12 01:44:44

Of course, choice is a wonderful thing, and I'm not disputing that, for whatever reason, people make different choices. I just find some people's stated reasons for hating iTunes to be a bit irrational. Having been on both sides of the fence at one time or another, i.e. having been primarily a Windows, and also primarily a Mac user, I don't personally see one way as intrinsically superior. If people find differently, that's awesome, and hopefully you can find the tools that best meet your needs. But as it now stands, and having learned iTunes sufficiently well to jump around in it on both platforms with relative speed and alacrity, I really don't understand the dislike of it. The model Apple chose will not work for everybody; like Media Player, it's a jukebox, and if you don't like media jukeboxes, you just won't get along with iTunes. But if, as I have, you've gone to all the trouble of sorting your media, tagging it appropriately, and customising the view so it provides a good balance of organisation and efficiency, then, well, I don't see what the fuss is. It's just different. As it happens, I think it has some real advantages too, such as being able to sync correctly to your iDevice (hardly surprising, but a point in favour nonetheless), the ability to share libraries transparently and control them remotely, the ability to store your media independently of the library location or across disks, and the ability to handle protected and unprotected formats transparently, in particular iTunes Store and Audible. Perhaps, if I moved full-time to Windows, I'd renounce these terrible sins? Different strokes, etc. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-12 03:30:16

@Sebby,
For what it's worth, I agree with you entirely.  I don't hate iTunes; indeed there is a couple of features I truly enjoy that I've never seen in any other media player, the most important being the Automatically Add to iTunes folder, a time saver as far as I'm concerned when it comes to placing a load of music on my iPhone both quicly and smoothly.  Just paste and forget, then enjoy, very similar to my experience with foobar in many ways.  It's far from being my default playback application though, just as I would never use or recommend station playlist studio as such for anyone else, even though SPL does have a ton of features that set it apart from many other media consumption applications.  It's purposes go far and beyond the scope of simply entertaining a PC user, and I imagine that this is where we start seeing personal preference come into play.  That's what this topic is more than anything, because in all reality there isn't a best media player, unless you keep looking at the top of lifehacker articles.  :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-10-12 09:28:51

Hello,

You might have a look at my own small audio player called 6player.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/257 … yer-en.zip

Here is a extract of the readme contents :

6player
A simple and accessible audio player based on BASS library

Features:
* Support playing of about 90 popular and less popular formats; most poupular includes OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA, flac, MIDI, IT/XM/S3M/MOD, ... also plays audio part of video files (AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP, OGV, ...); thank to BASS extensibility mechanism
* Support of 5 playlist formats: PLS, M3U, ASX, WPL, XSPF
* Play streams from URL, support for HTTP, HTTPS and FTP; includes a database of 20000 internet radio stations
* Convert a single file or export the entire playlist to OGG, MP3, AAC, flac, wave, etc.
* Quickly search within your playlist thank to the quick filter
* Edit tags of MP3 and OGG files
* Change pitch, speed, rate, and add a variety of effects in real time
* Support microphone, and effects can also be applied to it
* Broadcast your music and your voice + optional effects to shoutcast, icecast, or private HTTP BASS server
* Coming soon: lua scripting, and web HTTP control server

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2014-10-12 17:30:08

I had a quick play with this, and it looks very good. I especially like how big the radio directory is and the ability to easily stream, this will make for a good studio alternative at least for very basic streams. A few things I noticed:

-Most of the program is still not in English. On a somewhat related note if you ever want to open this up to more language translations I'd love to help and make a Polish one.

-The buttons in the main Window are not labeled.

-When things like crossfade and shuffle are turned on or off, the messages get spoken through SAPI, my NVDA doesn't seem to be detected.

-Playing midi files doesn't seem to work for me. The time indicator moves forward, but I get no sound and if I press alt M I get a visual runtime error.

I will most likely put this in my portable apps collections as it's a bit more lightweight than foobar. Very nice work smile

2014-10-12 20:49:26

iTunes also has the unusual feature of allowing you to choose a default equaliser preset on a per track basis, if you go into the properties for the track.

I use iTunes to manage my media including music but I don't tend to use its library view, I either use another media player or in the case of films and TV shows I use windows explorer to go through the folders and choose what I want to play. The option to organise your media library into folders is very useful here, or even if you just want to copy things from one computer to another.

On my Mac on the other hand I use iTunes for everything because you might as well, it's already installed with updates coming through with system updates and it handles everything I need it to. I don't tend to listen to music so much on my Mac these days though, I tend to either use my Windows desktop or my iPhone for audio.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-12 22:06:12

This does make sense, especially when you think in terms of the level of enjoyment you'll get using the software in various screen readers across platforms. If I were full-time Windows, I might decide that it's no longer worth it to struggle with the iTunes UI, and thereby end up dropping the library database. Curse Apple for not having the brains--or perhaps having them, but choosing not to use them for fear of lost profits--to find a way to store and retrieve the data in tags in the files where they could be easily manipulated, but irrespective of on-disk location. People who wished to organise their stuff according to tags could do so only if they chose to, but what gets a lot of people mad is that they don't get that choice.

This discussion has however been making me look again at the media player scene, in search of a simpler life. Indeed, now that VLC has a library feature, it's not clear to me what alternative there is to iTunes on OS X, except perhaps MplayerX or Decibel. Both of these players are very simplistic, and neither give you any hope of syncing to an iOS device, but at least now you can sort your files independently or play baroque formats. That doesn't sound like a very good deal to me, unfortunately. Better the devil I know, I fear. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-13 20:14:44

Sighted people seem to be really liking Vox and from what I've reqad about it it looks very good indeed. However, it's not very accessible - lots of unlabeled controls, but more importantly the list for your playlist and library is inaccessible. They did say at one point to someone on Twitter they'd look into VO support. Might need to give them a bump about that but I'll probably wait for Yosemite to go public as it has simplified Accessibility API's first.

2014-10-14 12:15:20

Hi.
With foober can you change eq settings and panning and bass? In winamp you can kind of do this... But not really. So if you can in foober I'll check it out.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-10-14 15:53:18

Fobar  2000 is not available for mac os10,  but it is for windows. I am not a full time windows user, but anytime I do use windows that's what player I use.

2014-10-15 01:16:02

Hi.
for me, I'll stick to winamp. yes the EQ settings in winamp are bad Well for what I wantthem to do, if you've herd of MaPlEr. you'll know what kind o fthings I want. I know I don't want an advanced media player just something thatI can mess around with and change eq settins like you can in MaPlEr., so that you may here the drums of a track clearer than the vocals and so on. So for me I'll be sticking to my demo of MaPlEr. and winamp.

Although speaking of MaPlEr. my friend Amin, who is known as Bashue on here tried to order it and didn't get his key.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-10-15 16:30:23

v l c i like the most since it has more working formats then any other one and it is simple

my d b invitation
to all   
hi make a new account   by going to this link and get 500 MB extra   go grab it
https://db.tt/eiWBLCJn

2014-10-15 16:39:20

Are you sure about that? WinAmp scores very well for particular baroque file forms, such as ChipTunes.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-18 16:00:55

-The buttons in the main Window are not labeled.

Which buttons ?

-When things like crossfade and shuffle are turned on or off, the messages get spoken through SAPI, my NVDA doesn't seem to be detected.

This is probably because 6player still uses an older version of UniversalSpeech, which don't work with newer jaws and NVDA. I will have to update that.

-Playing midi files doesn't seem to work for me. The time indicator moves forward, but I get no sound and if I press alt M I get a visual runtime error.

You might have a look at the midi configuration file, midi.conf. There you could change the SF2 bank(s) used. Perhaps it will work better witn another bank.

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2014-10-18 20:17:15

Yo guys,
I'm reading many comments and many opinions considering foober 2000 as one of the best music audio player. I've installed it, and unfortunately I am stuck at the playlist main screen and it doesn't allow me to move through the songs. so, if you really think that foober is great, tell me some shortcuts or hot keys to change the look of it. Another suggestion is daum pot player, but they are being crazy developers at some points. For example, if there is a quiet music through the song, the volum will be automatically encreased, and it really drives me crazy. To be honest, it really has some features of winamp, but if they work harder and better, they could make a perfect media player.