2014-10-10 21:00:46

hi,
I am taking italian lessons this year
I need audio materials to complement my lessons
does anyone know of any free sites that have audio italian lessons

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-10-11 11:31:45

I'd also be interested if anyone has any ideas, sinse I've been learning spoken Italian myself for the last year. What I really need is a working audio dictionary program, sinse I am at the stage now where I understand the grammatical rules of the language, but am looking for some way of getting more vocabulary. Unfortunately this is one job where audio is needed rather than text because my screen reader can either read in English or! Italian, not both, so it's not possible to read an online dictionary in a particularly reasonable way.

I've heard the google translate ap might do the job in terms of giving me the Italian word for any English word I put in, though how accessible it is with vo and  whether the audio is easy enough to get I don't know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-11 14:39:48

hi dark,
are there audio lessons that teach italian grammar?
I need them to master italian grammar

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-10-11 17:38:05

Not that I know of.

I go and see my teacher, and she generally explains things to meand gets me to practice in conversation with her as she goes over the grama with me, that is why I would like a speaking dictionary to pick up more vocab.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-15 08:00:12 (edited by ambro86 2014-10-15 08:02:22)

Hi, glad to hear that someone wants to learn my Language. I don't know for italian lessons in internet, but if someone has question can post here, and I will respond.
I think that the best way is to read italian writes, for example the italian Wikipedia, it.wikipedia.org. You can browse for article of your interest and read them.
Cheers,
Ambro

2014-10-15 09:38:31

My problem Ambro is my knolidge of different words in Italian isn't quite enough to read specific things like wikipedia articles. I can do general touristy type things like order coffee or a meal in a restaurant and of course I can sing in Italian (why in fact I started learning to speak it in the first place), however I need a much wider knolidge of different words and their meanings before I'd try to read something, at the moment I'd probably only understand one word in ten or so, which is why I'd like some good translation software for my phone.

2014-10-15 15:03:47

hello guys,
I learn Italian two days a week, and I have a good suggestion. if you are using jaws or NVDA, the best TTS in my opinion is Paulo - real speak solo direct voices. it's really comprehensive for me, and it's definitely better than the one TTS built-in Jaws. So check it. Also my bro writes for me some articles on my school book, they are interesting and if you like I can upload some of the articles, or a set of them.

Wish you all a good time!

2014-10-15 17:10:03

Hi Afrim.

The problem I have isn't getting my screen reader to pronounce Italian, (orphius has sseveral Italian voices), it's that I can't read in Italian and English at the same time so I can't use a comprehensive dictionary, as either it'll pronounce the Italian words wrong if Supernova is set to English, or Visa Versa if it's set to Italian.

That's why I'm looking for a talking translator, probably one I on my Iphone where I could speak in an english word and get the Italian spoken back to me.

2014-10-15 18:03:08

Ok, I basically know what you mean, but if you use jaws, and also the keyboard method, which can be set to Italian or US or British or whatever, the voices can get along gratefully, at least in Microsoft Word. I myself use google translate, but there is another thing regarding to me, cause my native language is Albanian, and the Italian voice can recognise very good my language. But in this case, I would suggest using the built-in TTS voices of your screen reader, only if you can do the process quickly so you do not have troubles to read your articles, and even a word.

2014-10-15 21:06:23

Well, it is true that I can switch languages with Supernova with one keypress, though I was hoping for a phone ap both because it could speak to me, and because I could use it when speaking Italian and say I just wanted a specific word.

2014-10-17 22:19:54

Hi everyone,

Have you heard about a website called EuroChance or not? If you haven't heard about this website, I'd suggest you take a look at it.
This website has Italian lessons for beginners, intermediate students and advanced students. I hope this is what you're looking for.
The link is:
http://eurochance.brailcom.org/index
I hope you enjoy learning Italian!
Take care,
André