2008-02-14 01:40:31

This isn't game news so it isn't going in the news forum, but I felt it worth spreading the word. It's also a little late, but here it is anyway...

NVDA the free screen reader has received a grant from the Mozilla foundation, the people behind Firefox. Now I don't use NVDA but I keep it on hand as my backup reader in case things go sausage in a bun shaped, and it is an excellent piece of software with a lot of potential. It is one of the projects out there I believe can make a difference if they survive, and would readily recommend it to anyone without a screen reader.

And in case anyone doesn't already know, Here is the link

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-14 04:05:53

Yes, I used it the other day when Jaws refused to work--very good reader. Why did they receive this grant, btw?

2008-02-14 13:32:03

To promote access...

Probably didn't hurt that NVDA recommends Firefox as its standard browser though.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-14 23:49:53

yeah I do have nvda as a back up and it is a well-made screen reader,
I sometimes just use it for the *** of it.

Connor

2008-02-15 01:04:33

It's also good for helping you set up your computer, especially if you've done a self build and you have to install graphics drivers...

For some reason changing graphics drivers always throws Jaws' graphics interceptor out of whack. However since NVDA has no interceptor...

cx2
-----

2008-02-15 06:52:02

yeah NVDA is cool! and, unlike jaws, even with the access bridge, NVDA works with openOffice! at least the writer, haven't tried other stuff.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-02-15 23:35:53

I like how it shows the progress of a download just by beeps

Connor

2008-02-15 23:42:03

That is just handy all around. Wish Jaws would include an option to swap between verbal and beep pitch announcement of progress bars.

cx2
-----

2008-02-16 05:41:57

Yeah that's really cool. say there's
no speech
beeps
speech
what the heck does beeps do. no speech is no speech, speech gives ya spoken but what the hell is beeps!

2008-02-16 05:56:19

and you can use a mouse with NVDA! It rocks!

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-02-17 05:08:38

you can?
how can a blind person do that

Connor

2008-02-17 14:27:11

I did once come across a program called "four blind mice" that supposedly let us blindies use mice, using tones to indicate the mouse position. It was total pants though not to put too fine a point on it. Mice are just a very awkward medium for us in general.

cx2
-----

2008-02-17 17:36:39

yeah that's been the case for like everything I have done on the computer.
Except Judgement Day and I personally thought the using the mouse to aim feature made it more realistic.

Connor

2008-02-17 18:29:00

Well mice used for a graphical interface are a no no to me at least. Using mice as a game controller is another story.

cx2
-----

2008-02-17 19:02:42

Yeah. You know, it'd be cool if Superliam had a mouse; drag your mouse right to move right, left mouse button shoots, etc. Wow! Wonder if this new title from lWorks will have mouse support?

2008-02-19 06:53:06

Hi, that's what NVDA does, but I've never tried 4 blind mice so don't know. next time you run NVDA, plug a mouse in and try it. on my old pc I was able to open some stuff on the desktop and put the pc in hybernation with the mouse! It was awesome! smile

2008-02-19 11:46:09

Well don't try 4 blind mice, it also constantly crashes. I would not recommend it to anyone, ever.

cx2
-----