2014-10-13 16:38:09

Hi.
When playing audio games is there much difference with the processor?
I mean there is core i3, i5 and i7.
Does this matter?

2014-10-13 17:02:30

Highly doubtful for audiogames. Its an entirely different matter though for day-to-day use; i'd recommend getting an I5 at least.

2014-10-13 22:40:11

Moderation!
Someone has reported this topic for moving to the off topic room. I have done so, however, I might end up moving it back. Please read every topic thoroughly before reporting it, because this poster has asked, specifically, about Audiogames.

2014-10-13 22:46:53

It can actually matter quite a bit. the more complex the game, the more it matters. For example when you're playing blast chamber it won't matter much but if you play a large map with many units in tactical battle and you have a slow processor, the battle report will take a while to generate.
If you want to play more complex games, I would also go for an i5. Also take a look at the number of cores and the speed (ghz) of the processor. a dual core processor at 2.5 ghz should be enough.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2014-10-14 05:04:36

No, not really, not for Audiogames.
Processor is kind of odd now.  The truth is that processors are no longer the limiting factor in your computer: we can execute x instructions a second, but only get y amount of data to the processor in a second.  Y is much less than x, and so it usually ends up waiting on your RAM.  This is less true of a certain type of application, but audiogames aren't that certain type.
So basically, don't *just* get the best processor.  You want faster RAM and an SSD if you can get it.  I'd not say that the processor matters much for Audiogames, but it definitely matters for everyday use.  Just, not so much without the other hardware to back it up, too.  Faster RAM and an SSD will make as much if not more of a difference.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-10-14 07:19:36

Overall I agree, audio games have very, very low system requirements compared to mainstream games. No doubt part of this is the high demand placed on the system from graphics not being needed in audio games.

For performance within Windows any quad core I5 would do great but don't worry too much about the GHz value, also try not to get the unlocked "K" model of the processor unless you plan to overclock because you lose the turbo boost function. Other than that cram in at least 4GB memory and the more the better, and an SSD really is fantastic for making your system start and shutdown faster but depending on your storage requirements you might need to back that up with a normal spinning hard drive.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-16 13:07:03

@camlorn, I thought as much.

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-10-16 18:07:55

Do bear in mind that the "budget" processors like the Celeron and I3 often skimp on the cache, this is a very small piece of incredibly fast memory included on the processor chip. More cache means more performance in general, that's one of the differences between the I3, I5 and I7 ranges though not necessarily the only difference.

Oh and a cool processor is a happy processor. If you feel warm air being blown out of your case that can be a sign that your cooling needs some improvement, as can unexplained crashes. The former would be a lack of case ventilation while the latter if not accompanied by warm air exiting the case would indicate the requirement for a better CPU cooler, though this could also indicate inadequate supply of power.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.