2014-10-11 18:01:01

hi,
I have a drive with corrupted files and I ran a diskcheck
however the process seems to be taking a very long time and I need to be turning off my pc in a few hrs
I hit the cancel button but the process won't aboart
I don't want to  kill the process  due to the risk of damaging data
is there a way to safely stop the process

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-10-11 18:16:28

Unfortunately, no. If you told the disk check to run at boot, then just press enter when it reads:
Checking disks. Press enter to cancel.
Or something like that. However, if you never pressed enter, the disk check will begin by checking for corrupted sectors on the drive. If it finds any, it will attempt to resolve them. Next, it will check for corrupted files, and so on. It will attempt to repair bad data on the disk if it can, and it may even recover it if it is possible. Just let it run until it completes.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-10-11 18:43:36

hi ethin,
this is not a bootdisk
its a external 160 gb hdd
but wouldn't it take days or weeks to complete the process
its at 1% for 3 hours

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-10-11 19:33:43

Well, 3*100 is 300, so I'd say about 9.008 hours to complete. Just let it go.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-10-11 19:41:33

hi,
having this operation go for 900 hours is unacceptable
the check drive for errors in the tools tab of the drive only corrects file system errors in win8
I believe it is different from the chkdsk /r command

2014-10-12 06:05:08

It's not going to go for 900 hours.  If it has to go for 900 hours, something is seriously wrong with something critical.
it's worth reiterating at this point that windows progress bars are notoriously bad at accurately showing you progress.  In future, use chkdsk, which does the same thing.  Chkdsk will at least tell you how many files it's done and how many there are to do.
As for safely stopping it, if the cancel button isn't working, then keep the computer on.  It's safe to leave the computer on for weeks, so don't worry about it-plug it into a surge and let it go.  This will be done soon anyway, and stopping it could cause problems.  if it becomes absolutely critical that it be stopped immediately, you can kill it in task manager; this is very definitely unsafe.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-10-12 08:33:21

hi,
an update on diskcheck
I waited for 4 5 hours and the progress was still frozen
I kept getting io read/write warnings in event log while the check was running
so I pulled out the drive
oddly, the process still didn't throw up an error and I had to reboot to terminate it
the cancel button still didn't work iether
taskmanager was useless to terminate it
the process doesn't seem to have damaged the drive in any way

2014-10-12 19:29:44

OK, Here's what I recommend you do:
Go to command prompt, and type the following command:
chkdsk <volume> /f /v /r /x /scan /perf /spotfix /sdcleanup
That only works if the drive is NTFS. If it is not, then the following commands should do the trick:
chkdsk <volume> /f /r /x
I recommend you run the first one for NTFS; it does a lot mroe checking than the other one. And make sure your drive is NTFS!

My Github

2014-10-12 22:50:17 (edited by camlorn 2014-10-12 22:50:32)

It sounds like it just crashed.  This has been known to happen.  I'm almost certain that it can be killed via task manager, but the trick is finding the right process.
You won't ever know if it hurt the drive.  That's the problem.  Running another check isn't a horrible idea, but then again maybe that's also not the best idea either.  It could have taken part of the file table, as an example.  Or maybe it ate only a couple files.  Or yeah, you could have been lucky.  The kind of damage that happens here is rarely the "oops the drive is broken" kind-it's much more subtle.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-10-13 10:06:06

hi,
I reran chkdsk overnight
I used the /f parameter
it generated a huge log
however now I have a problem
the log in event viewer is truncated
even hitting the copy button and pasting into notepad still gives the truncated log
does anyone know where the chkdsk logs for the external hdd are stored

2014-10-15 04:16:02

If it truncates the log, then the log is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to large for windows to handle. Windows can only keep a log up to I think it is about 150000 KB of data with logs before it starts truncating things. You can't restore it, at least I don't think you can.

My Github