2008-02-11 08:02:56

Hello, everyone.

I have a  complaint here about people who won't make their software accessible to visually impaired people. Have any of you ever heard of the SRS Audio Sandbox? For those not in the know, allow me to explain. The SAS is a soundcard enhancement software, the best out there. You know what the problem is, though. It isn't accessible at all. All the controls which adjust volumes, speaker sizes, and all that good stuff, can't be controlled by us. I've tried emailing the company about it, but they didn't respond, and now I'm going to you all, the rest of the blind public, for help. Here's what I suggest. Someone with knowledge of Jaws script riting, should take a  look at the thing and see what can be done. Either that, or we should all rite the company, all in one mind, and complain that they're losing good customers, because let's face it, blind people love better sound, while to the sighted, pictures matter more.
I'm taking this business class right now, which is teaching me about our rights as consumers. It says that a company should make a product accessible by all, or state clearly that it is not. Up to now, I've had sighted assistance when I  want to change the way it sounds, but that gets real old real fast.
Now going back to this business class, if enough people decided it was worth it, they could sue the SRS company, in a  "class-action".
Has anyone ever thought of doing that to a  company?

Holden

2008-02-13 20:26:12

First I'll say mass emailing is never a good idea, it just spams them out. Several requests yes, but we have to be careful especially when we have some less than mature or eloquent people about. Not anyone specific on this forum, just in general. Puts me in mind of someone who complained they didn't get a reply from GMA because they have trouble with their directional hearing and can't use stereo games, their message was poorly written and whatever the reason for that be it language or anything else it just came out looking inconsiderate.

In a general principle though I agree more should be done, antivirus is a particular nuisance of mine. We should have more choice in what is a critical piece of software.

Sadly the main problem I can imagine with bringing legal action is it being relatively untested when it comes to software, and the fact that funds would be fairly limited compared to the companies we would be up against. I would love to see certain companies booted in the proverbials so to speak though.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-15 06:47:38

oo'oo, in one mind, like the borg? cool! big_smile

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-02-15 06:48:44

and hey, for sound card effects, I like realtek, you can make eloquence sound dark. lol.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-02-15 12:33:49

Isn't realtech dependent on what sound hardware you use though? And it is still less than perfect, I have to use the Jaws cursor to get to the combo boxes if I want to change anything.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-16 05:53:47

hmm, I don't, maybe they've upgraded it?

2008-02-16 08:39:43

i think it depends on the type of realtec. my ac97 i can use all the combo boxes and everything fine, but my friend has a realtec hd something, with which he can't even turn on the stereo mix; it's too graphical. and i agree entirely with the accessibility of certain programs. Holden's point about blind people liking sound more than sighted is a good one, and what i think some companies should be taking into consideration. unfortunately the tiny number of blind people compared to the huge sighted market makes that rather non-important to most developers, which is a shame. and even when the software is accessible, they probably still don't know, that's just a bit of luck on our side. I know of very little if any programmers who aren't blind themselves or who have joined this forum who actually take it into account. I'd really like to improve the non-accessibility to a better accessible level, but if anyone has any tips for how, that would help. plus, Me and Jaws scripting wouldn't go very well i'm afraid. i only know mirc scripting, which i haven't done in ages.

2008-02-16 14:58:31

Yeah, mine is the HD. I can use the "environment" and set one of the presets for equaliser, but I have to use the Jaws cursor to get into the box.

On the upside though I can plug my headphones or speakers into just about any port on my sound card and I just have to deal with a box popping up asking which device I put in, so I don't have to work out which port is which.

cx2
-----

2008-02-17 04:26:20

hmm think mine's updated or something, I don't have to use the jaws cursor at all, and I have it set to use the new jack when a device is plugged into it. I have one problem though, I think eloquence resets or something when I try to change the speaker configuration. I can use sapi5 or reselect eloquence, but that's my only problem. Oh and there's pitch shift, I can't use the spin box in the sound manager, but I can mess with it in vista's speaker properties. And if you use a realtek card, the statement that you can't record from the sound card in vista isn't true, go to the control panel and open sounds and audio devices or whatever, and open the recording tab. then hit applications and make sure it's showing disabled items. in the list, there should e something called "stereo mics." enable it and you're good to go!
Rick Harmon did this in bgz podcast 20 I
think, if you want Click here to go to the blind geek zone audio page!
thanks.