2014-10-01 09:06:41

Hi all.

I'll buy an iPod shuffle  , latest model very soon. It's cheep and it sounds nice.
I look forward to see for myself if it can do what I want it to do:
I'll mainly use it for audiobooks, so I need the device to remember where I stopped the playback. I might not need more than one audiobook on the device at the same time. That would be a nice option, but not a need for me.
Then, I don't wanna use iTunes to transfer the audiobooks to the iPod. I have all my audiobooks, music and stuff manually sorted into folders and on external harddrives, and I don't want iTunes to mess that up as it always does. smile The situration would have been much worse if I used iTunes for all my music. If I did, iTunes would have messed up my music by adding random audiobooks, because my audiobooks is not marked as "audiobooks" in the files like you can do in iTunes. So if my only choice is to use iTunes, I can let it mess it all up by adding it all to the standard libirary and then I can make a playlist for my iPod and sync in that way.
But, I'm searching for an other alternative, and I think I have found an accessible alternative. It would just be much easier for me, if I could copy stuff onto the device like a memorycard.
I would like to hear your experiences about the iPod shuffle, what you like and what you dislike. Before, I didn't saw my need for this because I could just put music on my phone, but why spend battery on this, when i can buy a cheep iPod shuffle and get 15 hours of battery on such small a device.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-10-01 09:45:16

It's cheap enough that you can just get it. Apart from the storage lacking, it really is a nice device. Yes, it remembers playback positions, and supports Audible if you need that. Yes it normally uses iTunes (obviously) but as it's a disk there are hacks out there that'll manipulate the databases it uses by hand. I think you'll like it. No comments on iTunes; I'm all set in iTunes with all my stuff, including CD-ripped audiobooks; YMMV.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-01 09:59:13

Thank you very much. So you're just using iTunes, and not any hacks? Do you know about any accessible solutions?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-10-01 14:19:55 (edited by Sebby 2014-10-01 14:31:28)

Yeah, just iTunes for me. But I do remember something called GNUpod, which is what you get when a Free Software advocate starts yearning for shiny tat. smile

Anyway, so, er, no, sorry. I don't know of another solution. But there *must* be one, surely.

Edit: Here's another one which does something very similar. You could try it …

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-01 20:03:59

Agreed with Sebby. It's definitely not too expensive to get, though personally I'm pretty happy with itunes myself. I used to have an ipod shuffle... but never really got around to using it. lol But I find I have no issues sorting my books and music in itunes properly.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-10-01 21:00:40

well, I think the nanno is better. It has a disk mode so you don't need iTunes. The iPod nanno 7th gen has a home button, and voice over. Unfortunately it only uses the compact voice, but you get a disk mode, fm radio, bluetooth support, and it comes with a pedometer in it, so if you like to work out while you're reading, you can use the fitness app and work out.  You can use it for an excelent book player, pedometer, watch, mp3 player obviously... lol, radio, stopwatch, and timer. It uses the normal iOs gestures, so you're good.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2014-10-02 08:42:14

Hi.
Thanks for your answers.
So, how do you set the nano to disc mode? Can you then just copy the stuff to the device using file explorer or something simular and play the files without any issues?
Yesterday, I played around with audiobooks in iTunes, because I bought an audiodrama for a very cheep price which got registrered as an audiobook.
The interesting thing was that the audiobook was put into an other folder, sepret from my music which is quite nice.
So I'll experiment more to see if the audiobook feature in iTunes would be useful for me. The thing which I'm worried about is how iTunes would handle different structures in books. They are sorted into different files differently depending on where I get the books from.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-10-02 21:16:21

Please note, I have a tech support department. To set the iPod nanno to disk mode, go to settings, please note, this assumes that VoiceOver is on. You must have earbuds or some sort of external audio source connected. Go to general, I think. I haven't used one in a while. Find disk mode and turn it on.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2014-10-03 08:36:25

I also have a tech support department. Helping people everywhere in the country. Lol. But anyway:
So, if I enable the disk mode, can I then do the following:
Copy folders and subfolders containing mp3 files onto the device, browse the folders directly on the device using VO and play them without any issues?

Best regards SLJ.

2014-10-03 13:34:34

What?

Apple actually allows you to copy files directly to an iPod model without iTunes? what? That's a sin, because everyone knows that iTunes is the best way to transfer and manage your music.
Seriously, what?
I wouldn't recommend an iPod model if you don't like using iTunes.
If you just want an mp3 player, get a talking mp3 player from www.talkingmp3players.com or buy a cheap player and rockbox it yourself.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-10-03 20:35:22

You should be able to. And do you have skype?

2014-10-03 21:14:31

Sorry to disappoint anyone, but that's not what Disk Mode is for. Turning that mode on simply means iTunes won't disconnect, which lets you copy stuff onto the file system of the iPod and use it as a Flash disk. Pretty sweet, indeed, and applicable to both Shuffle and Nano--in fact, the Shuffle is more portable because it always uses FAT32, whereas Nano uses whatever format it was first set up as, according to the OS of the computer in use. And of course you still require iTunes, regardless of which iPod, and regardless of Disk Mode.

Audiobooks can be easily handled yourself, if you do a Get Info on the objects in question and change their kind to Audiobook in the Advanced tab. They will be shuffled on disk into the correct directory, and in iTunes will appear in the Audiobooks section, and default to remembering position. It is the default for Audible content, any m4b container file (which can be made on your own machine) and a few other sites delivering files with the correct metadata. I don't bother shuffling stuff from Music that doesn't need to be and only Audible is in my Audiobooks section; iTunes is already gapless, so it's sufficient to simply listen to the albums as ripped.

I had a Nano, but I was less blown away by it than the Shuffle, because the Shuffle actually made sense for the size of the device, and had physical buttons. The whole point is minimisation and easy disposal in case of an unhappy accident or to relax, not to replace a precious phone, IMO. Although, it is nice, and like iPod Touch, is very cute for lengthy, extended away missions where you still need to tell the time and carry about more stuff than fits on a Shuffle which will only really handle your current listening.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-03 21:55:36

I'm confused.

Does the disk mode allow you to copy files to the iPod internal memory using Windows Explorer or finder?
Does it require you to actually have iTunes open to use it? Do you actually interact with iTunes to copy files? If so, I am not getting an iPod model any time soon.
I'd rather get a victor reader second generation or a talking rockboxed sansa clip zip or clip zip plus. I absolutely refuse to use craptunes!
Actually, thinking it over, why is it even called iTunes anymore? It does so much more than music now.

2014-10-03 22:44:56

The iPod is always accessed as a disk mounted natively by the OS, even by iTunes. In Disk Mode, iTunes simply keeps it visible in Finder/Explorer and makes it a requirement that you eject it when you've finished, instead of doing it for you at the end of a sync. This is actually a fairly good case for the network-based protocol (usbmuxd) now used by iOS. Hidden directories on your iPod contain the data iTunes needs, so it's not visible in the default view of Explorer or Finder (the latter requiring a command-line hack to revert, being Apple). You can't simply copy files onto the pod and expect them to play; the files must be within the hidden structures, and the databases updated.

So in summary: your worst nightmare. Not only do the psychotic, fascist bastards use USB mass storage, but they also keep it just out of reach of actually being useful. big_smile

As to iTunes, it's now a beautiful slum, rather than a music player. Every time I set it up, I'm reminded that in many ways it's sort of a monument to American corporate pathos, where everything is only just good enough because anything better would require sacrifices at the altar of capitalism. But in spite of the horrible dependency on the store and the cloud and DRM and all these secret formats and protocols, once you've configured it and overlooked the regrettable deficiencies, it does actually function as advertised, which is why I use it. But it's sure in need of replacement, for something more robust and sensible, with maybe separate apps for different kinds of media, an online store requiring little or no sync by way of the computer, no DRM so you don't need an Internet connection just to use your stuff, etc. Sadly I don't see this happening with Apple in current hands.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-03 23:50:18

Wow! I don't get why they go to such lengths to protect music content like that?
I mean, even when I was jailbroken on iOS, I had to go through a bunch of weird folders with seemingly random letter and number combination names just to find the audio file I synced with iTunes. Even then, the audio file had a random name as well. Yeah, I don't get why Apple is so secretive and likes to protect their file systems as if they've got something to hide and don't want the stupid users to find. I don't know. This is why I will never sync my phone with iTunes, or buy an iPod.

2014-10-06 16:58:37

The music itself is unprotected. Presumably it's not actually malicious, it's just stupid. The engineers were more worried about meeting checkbox requirements than making geeky types feel better. Even the ability to automatically add to iTunes from a folder (which many people still don't know about, for some reason) was kept a secret until Apple published a note about it and people began finding uses for it.

Just myself, as usual.