2014-10-01 10:44:54 (edited by LordLundin 2014-10-01 10:45:44)

This sounds insane I know, but I am generally wanting to know how you went about getting a band.

I am tired of school and while I don't plan to quit it now, I sure as hell want to do something at the spare time I have.

I thought of joining a band as a developing singer, but the thought does not appeal me. Why? Because I think that most rockers today have a bad taste, and most stuff turns out into garage bands or fake metal bands.

I already have a music project going on which consists of really dark poem and hellish lyrics and documents with descriptions for how I want a lot of stuff to sound.
I am also learning Protools atm.

But I just want to know how you did, or how'd you do to get a small group of freaks together.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2014-10-01 18:06:33

ah. the good old search engine. Oh how useful that can be.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-10-01 19:26:46

First you need people, musically inclined people who are interested in the same style of music you are. Musically inclined people who can work together, take critisism, and work as a team for a goal everyone loves. You're kind of up the creek without that.

My band began in 2010 with three college friends; a drummer, a guitarist, and a bassist who were all computer science majors. They decided to start a band because it would be fun to play punk rock covers. The drummer met a theater major in class one day, and found out she could sing. He asked her, "How would you like to be in a rock band?" Somewhere along the way, a male singer joined the band and left. The friends practiced their punk rock in a church every week and had a lot of fun. A couple years later, the bassist left. The band got hired to play the score for Evil Dead at the university, and they found a bassist to join in. He stayed with the band for a year. after Evil Dead, the band played a couple open mic sessions at a bar in the next town over. Due to creative differences, the bassist left and the band said, "Hey Cinnamon, how would you like to play the bass?" Cinnamon said, "What the hell is a bass?" With her knowledge of music theory, the lovely and charming Cinnamon borrowed a bass guitar from her church pastor and, in four weeks, learned six songs. They played a charity show for the church, and it was Cinnamon's first show.
Since then, the band has played at open mics around town, along with a show at a small pride festival. Currently, we have five full origional songs, each one centered around mythology, primarily Greek mythology; hince our name, Delphi LIVE. We are beginning to practice our songs with click tracks, because we hope to get into a friend's recording studio before December to lay down three professionally done demo tracks so we can pimp them around town to get gigs.

So, in essence, it's a lot of work to be in a band if you want to do more than just practice once a week for the fun of it. It's been four years, and the band is just now taking things seriously and trying to polish up. We have disagreements, we have to compromise with one another, and we have to listen to what each member wants to do. We're a team. We always group hug after every show and practice. You can't just come in like a wrecking ball and demand to be the leader of the pack; that's not how a band works. Being in a band can be as fun or as serious as you want it to be, but it starts with people who share a vision.

Now that I've written that unnecessary novella, you can check out some of our live gigs, (Sorry, they're recorded on a cell phone) at
www.facebook.com/delphilivemusic

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2014-10-07 17:31:55

I have always wanted to start a rock band, ever sinse I learned how to play guitar. Unfortunately, I have no one to form a band with me.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-10-07 18:55:08 (edited by Nocturnus 2014-10-07 18:59:40)

As Cinnamon posted, every member in a band is a part of it, which is why who you choose to be with is of great importance.  You can't find three people who play various instruments and joim them together, expecting them to stay on the same page just because they are all good or even great musicians.  I am living proof that a musician can adapt to the style of another musician and that other musicians can adapt to my style for a night or two if need be, but a band will spend sleepless nights practicing things, thinking over things, wondering about the overall direction of their music, and then there are the studio session, assuming you want to go that route.  That having been said, compromises need to be made to accommodate all of the differences that will no doubt present themselves over that span of time.

Art does not exist within a basket from which we can simply extract it.  It is not found in massive quantities throughout individuals or even groups; art is much too complex to simply be an object or group of objects of interest that a person can sift through to create something that thousands or even hundreds of people will come to enjoy.  There needs to be a desired value system, an ontic referent, something to look back at that will give artists perspective and purpose in order to even consider creation of any sort.  Since every mind differs slightly at the very least, you will find that this point of reference will see regular change as people grow older, wiser, attempting to learn from past mistakes while being implicitly and explicitly driven to change themselves.  You need to understand this, because you will no doubt be a different person in 10 years, but assuming you haven't changed, someone around you will.  Call it growing up, or selling out, or giving in, or whatever else you can think of to title it, but the fact is that change comes in many forms and affects everyone around it.  IN some cases it brings out the best, while other people simply shut down and turn in on themselves or turn outwardly aggressive, which causes even more change.

IN a band, this will become even more noticeable.  Bands that have been around seemingly forever have undergone many changes and lost many fans along the way in an attempt to retain a so-called integrity, but of course, if you think about it from an outside perspective that integrity is lost as soon as the band changes even slightly.  Perfection is what every band strives for, eventually obtaining the desired value system that sets things in motion for everyone including the fans.  if we study the idea of perfection for just a tiny bit, we find that were it to change even slightly, perfection would no longer be perfect, thus, that which fans once perceived as great and which is subject to change loses its integrity.  Loyal and understanding individuals will follow you to the ends of the earth because they are true fanatics of something or everything you've done, placing confidence in you that you may not even have to turn things around and reshape everyone's image of the band with your skill and your greatness and your intelligence and your talents and whatever else you have at your disposal.  You are superman!

For some people that is a responsibility too hard to handle.  for others, the passion for music is yet another driving force that makes the matter just another walk in the park.  Speaking as a person who has had the liberty to work with music however I see fit and with no one other than the fans to tell me no, this is my personal experience.  As soon as I am part of a band, all of my knowledge, my ability to build a piece from the ground up and put all of the building blocks together to achieve the final outcome I invision is suddenly a moot point.  No, it is not entirely useless, just uninimportant in comparison to the greater tasks of coordination and seemless systematic operation of the band working in unison at all times, while keeping it easy and comfortable on everyone involved.  if I excersise my knowledge just the right way, I may be seen as a condescending hotshot or a conceited and cocky individual.  it doesn't matter how much I know anymore, because it's not all about me, not even if I manage to gain everyone's respect and become the head or leader or frontman or whatever else you wish to call it.

Understand these things; come to grip with these things.  Learn to curb problems before they arise and be willing to take on the responsibility of playing mediator when no one else is willing to talk.  You may find someone more capable than you as leader; they come in various shapes and sizes, and while you may have initially thought it would be you because you already have a vision, life doesn't work that way.  A leader has to be able to inspire, to instill desires, to fill the minds of those he works with with the scope of what they are doing and motivate them to do it regardless of the weight or size of the burden they must shoulder in the process.  At the same time, he needs to be able to listen to those he works with and understand the various circumstances surrounding every single individual that is part of this momentous undertaking, clearly anticipating any situations that may arise as a result of said circumstances or other influential events that may come into play.  he or she does not slouch, does not pout, does not stand without firmness of mind and soul because at the point that this happens, the very discouragement or fear or sadness or anger or other negativity is felt by the rest.  Yes, he can feel and think and be human; there would be no other way for a leader to lead otherwise, but those who are best suited to lead are those who don't look at it as a problem and have obtained the respect of everyone else they are leading at the same time.  As a leader, you come to realize that you never truly know; you can't always predict the entire outcome.  You have to be able to anticipate as much of it as possible however, as many senarios as can be imagined so as not to be surprised by something along the way.

You know what?  Forget it.  I suggest that after reading all of these insane musings (how you managed to get here is beyond me since I almost couldn't do it,) one goes and finds a capable psychologist or counselor, assuming your mind has not been destroyed by the convolution of thoughts I felt I could express but didn't do too well with.  I gave myself a headache; my mind is screaming with the agony of bla I posted above.  Bla bla bla bla bla; another nutty nest of notoriously naive nonsense, maybe.  hey, forget everything I said, ok?  I am not to be held responsible for any of the actions you take with everything I've written above, and the only reason I've submitted it is because I took the time to write it. :d
Now, have fun, eat a pizza, and all for one, and one for all, and good for nothing, and the world goes on, and macaroni and cheese, and they all lived happily ever after.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-10-07 21:47:16

Hello Truegamer.
Well like everybody else said there is no way to just start a band by snapping your fingers but one good way to start a band is just to get out there and talk to people. See if you have things in common such as music that you like and if they play an instrument. You can actually get a good group of people together by doing this since it works better if your friends so you can work well together. If you really want to get a band together quickly which I wouldn't recommend go on craig'slist or another website like that and post an add for getting a band together.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-10-15 00:21:53

Hey. Well, I'm starting one of my own, of which I am the drummer. We're called broken promises. Back to the point though, its quite simple. Get some friends who are willing to join and start out by playing covers. Eventually, you'll be bustin it out. good luck.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.