2014-07-25 08:59:03

Hi all.
I was searching for the games central dropbox topic but couldn't find it.
For those in the folder  I am sure if you have read the requests file you will know that as well as a few things that should not have been in the folder, namely cracks, the folder has grown in size.
Today I came home from going out with the family shopping and all that junk and discovered that someone had deleted the entire folder contents and that I needed to upload 5gb.
Since I really don't have the bandwidth to upload 5gb just whenever someone wants to kill the folder, I had no choice but to delete the folder after leaving it first.Sadly I was unable to delete the folder before leaving it or I would have done so.

There are several issues which I had to get out of the folder.
the first was the size it went up and down, there was one crack, empty folders duplicates, and a lot of unorganised stuff.
large files that really shouldn't have been up stuff you could get from the web etc.
I was willing to stick with being it was an open folder but I can ot have the folder so mangled that I had to upload a quarter of my bandwidth for each user to the folder I only have a 12mb connection with a 1mb upload speed on it.
This dsl line is not for me to torrent.
if someone took charge of this, sorted the folder, put some rules, heck I may even come back in however the open approach though nice has got abused and sadly I have had no recource but to leave the folder its a good thing you can't delete a folder outright while you leave, because I am quite angry at this point.
This has really put me against bt sync, it may not be dropbox but its a bad idea to give out write access to everyone.
It was fun and all as I put in the requests file, but it has to stop and sadly that was today.

2014-07-25 15:26:55

hi,
i suppose i didn't hear about that folder.
what exactly was that folder? what is bt sink? what was so great about that folder, or why did so many people joined it so as it seems.
what to do if i wante d to join this folder.
answers would be appriciated.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-26 00:43:51

Hi sid.
You really should be asking someone else bar me because I am not the best to talk to about the folder.
I am still quite angry about the folder.
bit torrent sync is supposed to bbe the most secure way to sync files without using cloud storage.
games central is a folder to put all games in a convenient place.
I don't have the secret anymore, I can't find the topic in here now.
However the reason I quit to put it politely was because it was so open, people were abusing it.
The file was way huge, and people deleted and added stuff as they wanted.
they also put cracks in the folder.
There were also a lot of duplicate files in the folder.
Not that it was all bad, one dev set up some colaberative opensource thing in the folder.
there are maps of aac, there are in fact a lot of aac related junk and games not publicly released yet.
There is still a lot of potential.
If that is that the folder is only open to a few that can write to it and its heavily moderated.
now its not, its 4 or so gb in size and yesterday someone deleted most of it again so I had to upload the entire folder again well bt sync started restoring it from its archive.
since I only had 30gb a month and share it, I was not going to waste 5gb so that I could have a current update of a torrent with pirated stuff and where its admins or who ever owned it should have answered my concerns and rants in the right comments file.
In short the folder got to be a high risk for me and in fact I was starting to wander hopw long before someone used it for viruses and such I may have been grosly incorrect but that's the way it is.
I wouldn't recommend it for anyone to use bt sync unless you knew what you were doing, I am not going to be using bt sync at all in the future, I may even remove all my bt sync shares and uninstall it from my computer because of it.
its only because I am on the nvda sync that I am keeping the program but I am in 2 minds about doing that now.
If I ever get a large amount of bandwidth per month maybe 100gb + I may even make my own folder and moderate it, its not going to be open that's for sure and it will need a lot of devices on it with dropbox you really don't need everyone on all the time but there are space issues and its hard to moderate.
so far bar a few issues in a few folders I have not had any issues with that.
if you have google using the google drive may be a better thing its 15gb free though be mindfull you actually use that drive for everything including your email as its your account butt a poorly managed folder is more of a pain than anything else.

2014-07-26 01:48:57

Hi.
One thing I want to add:
lots of exe files and .dll files are missing.
That leads me to a point: what's the point of uploading games if we don't have the .exe files for them. They become unplayable.

2014-07-26 08:00:29

hi,
ok, so is it something like what happened when i created a games galore dropbox folder 3 4 years ago?
it was going fine at the begginning, then people started uploading games that are easily available, then one of them started deleting large portions of the folder, then a few arguments broke out, and finally the folder was whiped away.

anyways, i think that topic is still there if someone just wants to look at it.
regards

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-26 18:55:59

Yes sid right on the forking money.
The issue is that I had lost trust in that folder by that point.
The original concept was to have the folder open for all contributers alike.
At first it was slow to take off a few games uploaded and for a while well not much.
Its just a pitty that the cracks, deletions etc started before the opensource devs got their hands in the cookie jar I was even entertaining the idea of keeping the stuff round.
the duplicates I could let go.
the cracks I could probably let go due to the openness of the folder.
The big files I could also let go but the deletion of stuff and the fact that bar once when it started the admins never put a comment in the file even when it was going to hell.
I know they are on this forum not that I care, the folder is not for me it was a dropbox folder but became a bt sync one, the issue was that the admins decided to treat it like a dropbox and not a protected storage.
I'd never let that happen.
I may or may not open one but to be honest unless I get a fibre connection or a vdsl or something that won't happen.
I go through 40 of my 30 gb a month and a lot of that is not me.
I can't have someone on a whim killing files and then I have to upload most of it again 4.2ggb is a lot to upload at 1mbps my connection is fine for what it is but not secure sync like that.

2014-07-27 00:57:36

Hi, if you are talking about the abandonware folder, you're definetly right. There are lots of doc files, and lots of things that don't have to do with gaming at all. Somebody should give a read only key so only they can upload games, or put strict restrictions so users can delete  files if they don't think it's a game.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-07-27 14:54:44

Hi,

Is it in the folder that jack posted?

2014-09-30 00:22:25

Hi all.thought I'd catch up on this
burac not sure about the jack folder.
Socheat I agree with you on that one.
Fact is you can have a folder read or write that's the thing.
Nothing in the middle.
Dropbox is write only but you can restrict users by not sharing them in the first place.
Once they are in though you are basically stuck with them sure you probably can bann them but there is nothing to stop them rejoining and its not really like you can stop that.
The advantage with dropbox is it is easier to post comments files, etc.
The only other way to handle it is to have a private dropbox link share to the testers you want but then there can be no group descussions of any kind.
The issues with exe files being deleted can happen if you restore the system because the system doesn't see any files in your user folders which are not documents, music, pictures or videos as important.
So chances are if you restore you can kiss your folders good bye!
The difference with dropbox is that if they go, then everyone's files get deleted with bt sync if you are not write access then you can get em again.
I have quite a few synced folders.
Sadly 1.4 is not accessable at all because I tried.
its just a big window.
You get direct sync links which means no need to share keys but that's about all I think.