2014-09-19 09:51:48

Hello all,
I am just curious if something simmilar has happened to somebody of you guys...
Yesterday, I planned to finally update my iPhone4s to the latest iOS 8.0. Everything went the way I wanted it to, the update could be downloaded; It was just updating the firmware and checking everything with apple, when iTunes suddenly popped up with an error "An unknown error has occured". The update has been canceled and it didn't appear to be completed. I tried to get out of DFU-mode, but this did not work at all.
So, I reset my iPhone with a previously made backup on iTunes, however, the backup only worked partially.
Most of the data like alarms, last calls and so on could be reset perfectly, however, it couldn't load all the apps.
I tried to get everything up by synking with iTunes, but even though the apps were activated to be installed, nothing worked.

Any suggestions on that? I am really thinking about resetting this thing again, trying the iCloud thingy. And even WhatsApp backup doesn't work anymore.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-09-19 14:24:08

Hi,
I've experienced the same issues, and now I can't get out of Recovery Mode or whatever is this.
The problem is that my computer doesn't recognise my iPhone for some time, it says "Device driver was not succesfully installed", and I don't know what to do. I've tryed some settims and fixes found on the net, but none of them worked.
Does someone what and how to do in this situation?

2014-09-19 14:25:11 (edited by stewie 2014-09-19 14:25:25)

Try running the update again. That's what I usually have to do to resolve similar issues.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-09-19 15:33:40

This is one reason I'm waiting to update to Ios 8 at least until the first bug fix version is out, I did with Ios 7, which actually paid off a lot sinse the first version of 7 had some rather nasty holes, and 8 is a much bigger scale update than 7.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-09-19 20:51:29

Meh, I haven't noticed all that much difference in functionality between 7 and 8. I think most of the changes are to default apps rather than to the operating system itself.

That said I've been having a marked increase in both app crashes and in Syri breaking off her speech mid sentence, though a lot of those crashes were due to a bug in the Audible app which has now been fixed according to the last app update.

I always plan to give it a week or two after release before I upgrade but somehow it never works out that way.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-20 13:40:19

Heck! iOS8 on my iPhone4s it eating up my battery like a wolf eating sheep! Yesterday, on a train ride, I had to recharge it after 2 hours already. Before that, it was at 100%! I seriously wanna downgrade right now! I heard about the iTunes thing, that I need the old firmware file, but I couldn't manage. I downloaded a zip-file which actually should have the firmware in there, but the iswx-file is not in there. I searched elsewhere and found many many firmware files for different kinds of iPhone 4, but only for gsm or whatever it is called. I searched on iclarified.com, not even sure if they actually have the iPhone4s iOS7.1.2 firmware. Somebody told me there is a difference between the american firmware and the other firmware. Is that true? Could anybody help me, I really want to downgrade this thin as soon as possible, not only due to the fact that the older iOS won't be signed that long on the apple update servers!

Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-09-21 14:18:46

Hi there, what does DFU mode stand for, and how does one get to it?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-21 21:38:39 (edited by Sebby 2014-09-21 21:47:21)

I'd try the process again, and if it still fails, try reinstalling iTunes. Yes, I know, but just try it. Better safe than sorry.

I actually thought iOS 7 was pretty tame compared to iOS 8, bug wise. smile

All the more given that these iOS 8 bugs were present right through the testing cycle, from an early stage through to Golden Master.

DFU mode is Device Firmware Upgrade, and you can force entry by pressing and holding the home button just as you power up the device; the easiest way to do that is to power down with nothing attached, and then to press and hold home while plugging in a USB cable attached to your computer running iTunes. From here, you can do a complete factory wipe.

@Paddy, if it's still something you really want to do, fetch firmware from IPSWDownloader which links to images straight from the horse's mouth.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-09-22 11:59:39

Thanks very much, I finally did it on Saturday!
Somebody recommended weblogit.net, I think it's a German website which also hosts the firmware. However, the browser changes the format into zip instead of ipsw, so after successfully downloading the zip-file (approx. 1.1 gigs), you have to recall the file into .ipsw and it works greatfully.
However, if somebody else with the same issue wants to try that out, I cannot guarantee for anything. Everything I can tell you here is based on own experiences. For me, it worked the way it should. However, before iOS8, I got iOS7.1 installed and after upgrading from there to iOS8 and then downwards to iOS7.1.2, the iCloud backup may not be compatible. For me, it worked quite good, there are only some WhatsApp issues, which don't let me open the app on the home screen. Instead, I have to go into the appstore and open it from there, or opening the app from the app switcher.
And iCloud still seems to restore something, however, I don't actually miss anything except my WhatsApp history, but it still shows me this status after two days.
"iCloud is restoring your iPhone".

2014-09-23 11:14:08

Probably is a good idea to wipe out your entire data area (full content erase) and not use a backup. It might be frustrating restoring things from scratch, but it's guaranteed to work that way. JMO.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-09-23 11:37:14

Well, I don't have any problems yet, it's just the WhatsApp thingy which doesn't work the way I want it to. I think there's another app which acts the same, but I can deal with it and I think reinstalling should fix the issue.

2014-09-23 12:21:41

How is DFU different from recovery mode?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-25 16:39:11

Those are the same things, IIUC. I think that's just Apple's term, although DFU is really generic to all USB devices regardless of whether or not they expose a means to get in.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-09-25 19:40:19

And what is IIUC? It'd be helpful if you put the actual term in parentheses, as I am myself unfamiliar with these abbreviations. The commands for recovery mode were very similar, which was to press and hold both sleep-wake and home button, then after a while keep pressing the home button.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-26 08:52:07

Hi folks,
Is there actually a way to restore only selective apps out of an iTunes or iCloud backup? If, for instance, the iCloud backup didn't download apps or app data properly and you know you have it stored in either the iCloud backup or in an iTunes backup but don't want to restore the whole thing, there should be a possibility to only restore app data out of a backup you want to?

2014-09-27 12:21:23

@GreenGablesFan: IIUC means If I Understand Correctly. Recovery mode simply involves having the Home button depressed at the moment the power comes on after a reboot; in my experience this is easiest using the power cable method I described, but yes, both work and are the same thing.

@Paddy: you'll need a tool like Backup Explorer to extract useful data, but I dunno about excluding apps from a restore. I know that iCloud backups can have data excluded at backup time, but that won't be of much use to you, presumably. This is a good moment to reflect that iCloud Drive is bringing sensible data restoration to the masses in such cases. Also, that relying on data stored in an iOS backup is always risky. If it isn't too much trouble, erase and start again, seriously. You can thank me later. smile

Just myself, as usual.