2014-09-11 16:09:47

Hi guys. I want to make a command-line all-in-one package manager, which will check to see if you are using Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, etc. Then, you can use one command to install, upgrade, and search for packages. But what's the point? Why bother? I don't know.
Here's a basic design moder:
1) I will probably write this in Bash, unless anyone has a better solution.
2) I want to have one command, probably UPM (Universal Package Manager) which will interface with Portage, apt-get, yum, pacman, etc.
3) You will use switchers to search, install, update repositories, and upgrade packages. Something like upm -i firefor to install FireFox.
But I can't rationalize with myself. I don't anticipate people using it, yet there is a compulsion to make it. And does anyone have a better design model? I'm open to ideas.

2014-09-11 16:46:52

It would be a good way to learn bash, but that's all I've got.  It's going to be more complicated to instal your script than to learn the platform's package manager, and I'm not even sure it's possible; some options probably don't map to other options on different package managers, so you'll end up having these weird special cases anyway.
But it's only a single afternoon worth of work, so if it's going to teach you something, why not?

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-09-18 19:36:21

What is the best way to implement the check of the operating system package manager? I have two ideas: write a for loop to check all the package manages and see which works on the system. The second would be to have the user do it, which would be hard. Or is there a better way?