2014-09-18 06:39:00

Alex is lovely. No doubt about it. But my phone has to work. I'll upgrade some of my devices, but not my main iPhone. No, never that, not yet.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-09-18 09:06:30 (edited by grryfindore 2014-09-18 09:10:18)

Hi,
I was quite excited about the braille keyboard and alex, of course. But then I have a jalebroken Iphone and am slash was a bit reluctant to update and lose it.
when IOS8 was officialy released and applevis posted its usual feature  bugs faq blogs, I whent ahead to have a glance even though I knew what the features would be and I was driving my thoughts towards updateing the device. I don't really need it for much what with all these new features....
Reading the bugs list though, was like a needle prick into a garse balloon.
The keypad bug that continuously presses a key is the most horrible of them, and the 2 finger double tap as that is one of those gestures I use a lot
Still, I guess I could've lived with most other bugs but the main feature that was making me even think of updateing was the braille keyboard but it looks like it has some bugs too.

You can only use alex on 64bit devices that is iphone5s 6 6+ and the newer ipads,which was a no go for me since I'm on a iphone5 right now, and as we don't have a contract system here (I wish we did,though.) I can't go and get one of those newer models even if I had wanted to.
So yeah, I'll be waiting for all these bugs to be fixed before I update if at all or for a jalebreak plus update. big_smile
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, β€˜It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2014-09-18 09:26:22

Hi.
I updated last night.
The Alix voice is great, but the braille keyboard is confusing and hard to write with, so I'll be sticking to touch typing for now. It's a shame you guys who have the 5 and 4s and 4 can't use the alix voice, I wish you could. Maybe in a later update you will be able to use a version of the voice. That would be good.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-09-18 17:11:52

I updated it last night. On my slow internet it took about 6 hours, but at least it's done now.
I agree about the amount of bugs present in this update, but knowing apple, they'll probably be fixed quickly.
I haven't gotten around to playing with the braille keyboard yet, though it sounds really interesting.
There's a lot of features I like in this release, such as the ability to talk to siri when on AC power without having to press the home button. The alex voice will be good, but I'm not on a fast enough network to download it right now.
It took me a few attempts to redownload the high quality vocalizer british english voice because I was on a slow connection, so had to do it this morning at school.
And is it just me, or has apple updated the vocalizer voices? They sound different and a little better in this release.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2014-09-18 17:31:56

Not the American English one, at least not to my knowledge. Unless they just added Alex to be done with it and didn't bother updating good ol Samantha. lol

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-09-19 09:02:21

Hi.
I've also updated to IOS8, and find it both good and bad. I spoke to one of the guys I know who have beta tested IOS8. He said all blind people were unable to contact apple about all the bugs, because the contact form was not accessible! I will never consider buying a developer account again to be able to test the beta versions, when apple changes things and doesn't care about accessibility on their own website! that's a totally waist of money. I mean, paying a high price to help apple testing there beta versions, and not being able to give them feedback on fixing bugs which wil annoy people everyday is just bad!
So, Apple is now being punnished for not having taken care of this, because now looooooots of people are spamming [email protected] with all those bugs which just works in IOS8! Shame on you, apple!
Well, the more positive things:
I love the new features in IOS8. Dictation is now in danish but not Siri yet, but dictation is a great start. It is, awesome!!! there are a lot of new things I haven't had time to check out yet, but it seems great.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-09-19 16:32:55

While there are some really annoying bugs in this version, like the fact that I cannot type with my external keyboard, I think, knowing apple, these bugs will be fixed pretty quickly. Apple is generally good at fixing bugs in a timely manner. I don't think spamming apple accessibility is going to get things done any faster. In fact it might annoy apple enough that they might not fix some of these bugs.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2014-09-19 20:46:24

I think "spamming apple accessibility" was more a reference to the fact that not taking the opportunity to deal with these problems in beta because of the issues in reporting means they will now be inundated with reports to the accessibility email address.

The braille input will take a bit of getting used to but if they fix the issues it could be really quite good. The tricky thing with the tabletop input mode is that the dot positions are in a V shape, so that dots 1 and 4 are only activatable near the centre at the bottom rather than all the way across as we might have expected. Do the touch and explore thing, waiting for the pass through noise to play first, and you'll see what I mean.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-20 04:17:13

I'm not too thrilled with this new release.  Voice Over is far too buggy, and braille display input is whacked.  Anyone who used a braille display on IOS 7 or previously, you know what I mean.

Voice Over also likes to delay itself or turn itself off when going back to the ome screen from an application.  I have to wait a few seconds before it'll start speaking again.  The typing feedback is screwed as well.

I'm hoping Apple will get on the stick with this one.  All these issues are quite annoying, but not too much where the phone isn't workable.  I just want these damn problems fixed lol.  I'm rather impatient when it comes to inaccessibility with stuff like this, especially after upgrading to something that I know I can't downgrade from.

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2014-09-21 00:57:12

You may be right, SLJ. But I found the form challenging, not impossible. I do agree though that accessibility needs to be taken rather more seriously than just user visibility. Although, since Xcode is now more accessible than ever before, perhaps it is.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-09-22 08:58:29

Sebby: I'm not sure if I explained myself good enough. I ment: Testers of IOS8 have complained that they couldn't submit bugs in IOS8 because it wasn't accessible, which is the reason for all those bugs. I haven't seen that for myself though, but that's what people are saying.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen