2014-09-07 15:36:58

@Cx2, thanks for getting my point that is indeed the distinction I meant and your example of a bus pass is a good one, though interestingly enough I myself rarely use busses sinse I don't want to risk getting on one with no audio announcements and then being stuck, and the silly government have refused to make audio announcements on busses manditory.
They are in London, but that's about it.

@Steve, "the sighted give blind people free stuff?" you must have encountered some very different sighted people to the ones I've run into and the ones most people run across. Even when sighted people offer some form of assistance this is usually not a free gift from eone human to another but an imposition, a sighted person behaving as expected to behave.
For example, I once had a guard at a train station who was supposed to be showing me to my next train connection (a necessity sinse i'd not been in that station before), and he said "wait there" when i asked why he said "we're getting the staff lift for you, passengers don't usually use that lift so it takes a while"

He did not ask me whether I wanted or needed to use the lift, or even whether I was capable of walking the greater distance to the passenger lift, he just made a dictatorial decision, assuming he knew better than me what my capabilities were and treating me effectively as incompitant.

This was not a "gift" so much as it was an imposition.
Much, (though not all), of so called discounts offered by sighted people go in this line, essentially "Take this and bog off!"

There is also the problem as Cx2 said, that there are some services which are offered which are offered which do have a degree of equality behind them, such as the free bus passes , sinse on a basic financial level living with a disability is indeed far more expensive, albeit unfortunately the bennifits offered do not always equal the costs of access items.

There are also occasions (rare though they might be), where someone is simply being kind and it would be rude or offensive to not accept.

For example, a few weeks ago I ordered a pizza from my local Papa Johns, (which has just opened). I'd ordered a couple before and had spoken to a very nice Scotish lady. As usual I had to ask (in as polite and friendly a way as possible), what pizza's, side orders etc they did, and what offers they had on, sinse they didn't have any accessible menu.

On this occasion i decided just to order a pizza and a side and not bother with the desert. The driver appeared and said "Our manager sent you a free desert"

I am not sure if she did this because of my lack of eyeballs, because I had been polite when asking about what pizzas they did, or just because I'd ordered a few times and was a good customer. Either wayr it would've been intensively rude had I said "no I don't deserve free stuff, take it back!"  as it happened I ate it, and when I ordered another pizza from them last week I thanked her.

while it is true there are blind people who are very demanding, who refuse to try things for themselves, and in fact treat others as simply a means to fulfill their needs, this to me is more of an atitudanal difference than a difference in what is actually provided sinse it is one thing to say "I can't have a car and use the bus a lot so can I have a free pass to equal out the financial costs of travel" and quite another to say "I am blind! I deserve free bus travele give it to me now!"

Lastly, I have begun to think rcently that there is an extra layer to this issue aside from the one of equal access, sinse there are far too many occasions when living with a disability is just not nice. When people ignore, or discriminate, or are out and out unpleasant. It is all very well to say "I am blind I don't deserve any special considderation" however, more often than not you recieve quite the opposite sort of behaviour from people, often in a way the law cannot touch. For example, if I go to any new group of people nobody will speak to me for the first hour, and I have to physically get them over the "He's blind" syndrome.

Also, I've had far too many occasions of being given blatant excuses for discrimination, as I got when I applied to opera school.

I must admit this is making me rethink the idea of entitlement rather more, sinse frankly if people have to put up with all this crap because their eyeballs don't work, then maybe there should be some sort of bennifit on offer as well.

I don't know what this bennifit should be, financial, social, legal status or what, but I do find myself in the position of thinking there probably should be one. Missing access to things is bad enough, but maybe there should also be some sort of recognition that most blind people aren't treated very well by the so called "normals" as well.

@Gellman, I agree with your sentiments here very much, (especially your talk about the corporate), although I wouldn't personally put things in the context of rights sinse I am not personally sure rights are a good way to form a morality, but that is quite another arguement, (I have no problem with the idea of rights in law, I am just not as sure about their moral force in the thinking that goes behind those laws).

Interestingly enough, in Britain much of our legal philosophy is based on Jon Stewart Mill. Mill did not use the language of rights, but talked of equal freedoms, and the idea that acquiring equal freedom for all was essentially the business of law and government.

If you have not read his book "on liberty" I'd very much suggest having a look at it.

I myself have a slightly different approach but that is very much tied up with my Doctoral thesis, suffice it to say I completely agree with you that equal access should be a legal requirement, although unfortunately on a practical level with the power held by most coorporations it probably won't happen, ---- though before I get into a debate about the evils of multinational capitalism I'll stop.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-09-07 19:29:22

hi,
I personally think that it is acceptable to demand entitlements that are garanteed by law
blindness is considered to be a severe disability due to the affect it has on one's  ability to due things
sure we can do most things that sighted people can
but we do things usually alot slower
also, the cost of a disability can be very high
this is why governments provide us with discounts on stuff
to provide us with equal access
there are some things that are mandatory for companies
like a 25% discount on all cable, dsl and fiber internet packages as well as phone packages
and a free pass for all city buses and metros
in this situation I would demand these entitlements since they are a right that the government provides us
however I would think it very wrong to ask for something that is not a wright under law
for example, free meals at restaurants
if these were given to me I would accept not to be rude but I wouldn't demand these things

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-09-07 20:08:59

Hmm, the discount on internet and phone packages must be something unique to Turkey, I've never heard of that one before though it does make a certain amount of sense. Personally I'd be happy with our government waiving the VAT on such services for us, that way it doesn't take money away from the company themselves.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-07 20:13:17

Wow Enes I never realized the government was so nice in Turkey as regards providing financial assistance or requiring companies to do so.

Here in Britain, bus passes are free in some counties but not others sinse bus travel is administered by the county councel not the government at large and different councels have different ideas. There are disabled rail cards, but given the state of Britains very silly train system (we really do have the worst administered trains in europe), they only have some effect and are honoured on some services due to the many companies and confusing regulations that vary train travel.

For the Metro again it depends where you are. Newcastle metro is free, or at least they accept the free bus pass, but in London they certainly aren't. It would actually be helpful if the British government did indeed lay down some laws on this rather than leaving the decisions up to local councel's by laws.

I am also frankly amazed! to hear that in Turkey companies must sell blind people tv and phone packages for less, again, very much not the case over here, ---- even tv licenses which are paid to the government directly rather than to sky, virgin or one of the other companies have no reduction for blind people, (they used to but that changed in the late nineties).

This however illustrates the problem of saying "If I am legally entitled to something I will take it" sinse manifestly different countries have different laws which may allow for different things and when either campaigning that a law should be changed, or simply asking for something to which a person should be entitled even if the law hasn't caught up to that yet there doo need to be some higher moral principles in place.

For example, there is unfortunately no law! that says a game developer must make their game accessible, yet there are some very good ethical arguements as to why they should, equal access etc.

this is why I tend to think we need to sort out some reasonable personal ideas of what is equal access and what is unfare entitlement, sinse unfortunately the law isn't adequate to the task, it certainly should be, but that is not currently the case, and frequently it will be up to each individual blind person to argue the toss on her/his own.

@Cx2, there did used to be a similar reduction on licenses, essentially because if you couldn't see the tv you weren't getting your money's worth, but this was done away with in the nineties and unfortunately I don't see the government standing up to rupert merdock and the other fat cats any time soon.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-09-07 20:41:31

Dark, TV licenses are half price if you're registered blind, try getting in touch with TV licensing. Oh and FYI the TV license funds only go to the BBC, in fact TV licensing isn't even a government department it's run by the BBC themselves. That's why there's been so many problems with the BBC hiring people on commission to be their enforcement officers and doing some rather disreputable things, it's worth remembering they have no authority to enter your premises and if they need to in spite of the resident's objection must be accompanied by a police officer. Of course they're all perfectly happy to let people think you have to let them in to look around by law which is blatant nonsense.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-08 00:24:13

Are you sure on that Cx2? When I moved into my flat in 2007, I was very much told by them that there were no reductions for having a visual imparement anymore, and certainly my parents don't get one, (my mum is also registered blind).

Of course, when i realized that  the tv license actually cost me more than buying Doctor who and Being human on dvd, and tthat I really wasn't watching much else besides the news occasionally, I dropped my license in 2009. Interestingly enough, you can still own a tv (sinse I use a large tv with a snes, gamecube and pc lplugged into it), just so long as you don't actually watch live tv on the thing.

I actually heard all about the loop holes sinse my brother has had some quite comical discussions with the licensing people. First when they attempted to claime that the solicitor's firm where my brother worked who used a tv and video for watching the interview and security tapes from crime cases had to pay a license, ---- not very clever, and then when they tell my brother they can inspect his property and might take him to court if he doesn't make himself available for inspecttion, again distinctly not clever!

Luckily sinse I told them flatly I didn't watch tv they haven't bothered me in five years, and sinse my parents have a sky plus box, on the rare occasions something does pop up that I do want to watch (doctor who, futurama, game of thrones), my parents can record it for me.

Mostly I just buy and watch series on dvd instead, right now I'm having a break through watching through ds9 to watch the Avatar the last air bender series (which is awsome).

Actually, there is so little that is any good on tv now, sinse so much of it is celebrity rubbish or reality tv rubbish or similar drek, I actually know lots of  sighted people who don't bother with a tv license either!

2014-09-08 06:12:54

Well I've had the discount for a while now, maybe you've been getting idiots on the phone? I'm not sure what's been going on there.

I've been tempted at points to drop my license but since I've had Kirk I've found it far too convenient to just stick the telly on to give some background sound to stop him jumping every time someone slams a car door outside or something if I'm upstairs, he always seems to think they're coming to see him.

cx2
-----

2014-09-08 22:35:57

Well you might be correct, though to be honest I still doubt it'd make tv cheap enough to warrent the little that I bother watching the thing.

Reever doesn't really have an issue with needing background noise, partly because I'm in an upstares flat, so usually she'll wait for someone to actually start walking up the stairs before she got the idea they were coming, but mostly because she's just plane lazy anyway big_smile.

2014-09-08 22:47:38

Yeah, when there's even the slightest hope of someone visiting Kirk's at the very least watching the door and more usually wanders over to it wagging his tail hopefully. He just loves people that much, it's quite sweet apart from the fact that he can get a little bit overexcited on occasion. My TV was broke for a while off to be repaired and I ended up leaving him a talking book playing on my laptop if I had to be upstairs for anything but I think that mostly just put him to sleep. FYI my front door's straight onto the street so there isn't really any buffer for the sound where I live.

cx2
-----

2014-09-09 03:28:28

Well Reever does love people, but not more than lying down, so usually she waits until  someone walks up the stairs to get excited. The only exception to this was when my friends turned up for rp, and she'd start getting excited as soon as she heard their voices out side.

2014-09-10 11:36:03

I agree with Dark, with post number three. I won't spend time going through every single post. What I think we would need is an alternative economy, where we wouldn't compete all the time, but sadly, I don't see that happening, unless we became immortal to see the next century. Of course, this is the Western world. The Eastern world is different from ours.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-10 13:26:12

The Eastern world is indeed different but that doesn't necessarily equate to better, neither does it equate to worse.

cx2
-----

2014-09-10 17:17:51

I'll also note that the eastern world, at least exemplified by China, India and Japan are just as much under the thumb of the same "prophet at all costs" multinational monopoly system as we are and in many cases having a lot worse time.

I agree we aren't likely to see a major change in disability status for some considderable time, though I am a bit less optimistic about whether it will happen or nnot I don't know sinse failing a major change in the power of governments vs the power of coorporations I can't see our current situation ending in anything other than a very major crash.

2014-09-11 08:48:30

Dark, I had no idea you were such an optimist.

If there's no practical way to either prevent a problem neither prepare for it you might as well just carry on as if the problem doesn't exist, it's the only way to keep sane in any case.

cx2
-----

2014-09-11 12:02:29

I disagree on that point Cx2. There is a lot to be said in just having the view out there even if nobody listens to you sinse ultimately if you sit and do nothing then it's your own fault if nothing happens. This is why I went and protested against the Iraq war, not because I thought the government would change their mind, (I actually didn't), but because if I said nothing then I was condoning the government's action.

Same thing with disability. It's important to say what needs to be said even if nobody listens, which is precisely why I've spent so much blood sweat and tears actually trying to write something decent on the subject, and convincing one person, one developer one organization that equal access matters you've at least done something even if it doesn't ultimately in the scheme of things change the lives of disabled people that much.

Nope, this isn't optimistic, but then again we're not a particularly nice species.

2014-09-11 12:35:25

I live by this rule. Reality is nothing; your interpretation is everything. The government is eventually made up of the people who creaed it. If you look back at a YouTube video in which I think is a monologue between an alien and an Earthling take place it explains what a government is. I have thought of planning a new system, poitical and economic, and how we could start a revolution. I have seen this happen many times when people don't agree with the government's decisions, with its, stringent regulations and its extreme legalities over humanitarian efforts, etc. I say we should balance out how much of an optimist and a realist we should be, but not be a pessimist because that would be bad. I am a little more on the perfectionist's side, and I do think we can pursue perfection, but not the actual act of being perfect.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-11 13:09:53

Well I've seen that alien thing, though bare in mind at least some of the points there were rather American specific, for example Britain has no absolute constitution which is unchangeable the way America does, in Britain if laws need changing the law lords will redraft them as needed. That's not to say the British system is perfect, not with first past the post democracy, so much party politics and the use of party whips meaning that you effectively aren't voting for your local mp so much as your voting for their party instead.

I don't think however it's the national government that is the major problem so much as it is the influence of capitalism in our thinking, the idea that the generation of prophet must superseed most everything else and for example an access company must generate prophet to exist even when providing equal access as I said.

This isn't to say I'm a total Stalinist and want the government in control of everything, however until we realize that greed for prophet isn't really a coherent way to run the world I don't see much changing.

I'm not saying prophet is a bad thing or capitalism is entirely bad, only that the unrestricted generation of prophet with no underlying principles which currently dominates the world isn't helpful. Unfortunately though, this isn't actually a system anyone has put in place, it's just a set of circumstances that have grown over time, and like any circumstances they will likely change in the future, though whether for the better or the worse it's uncertain.

One interesting thing I find is when you look back at medeival thinking there were a lot of absolutes people believed in which were staples of the way things were. The need of serfs to literally be owned by their lord and pay duty to the king and thee Church, the absolute belief that the King had a divine right to rule etc.

We now look back on such absolutes and think they were barbaric. i do wonder if in five hundred years someone will look back at us and say "oh those poor people believing prophet was so important, how deluded"

I hope so, but I can't be sure sinse we're very good at not learning from history.

2014-09-11 18:03:19

Dark, I maybe wasn't quite clear but I did mean if nothing at all can be done in any form. If convincing one person can be done then I agree we should, but if like you say we're heading for a major crash which can't be averted then we might as well just carry on as normal unless or until that happens. If the crap hits the fan in that regard we'll have to deal with it when it happens but for now we need to keep trying to improve things in our current climate regardless of whether said climate will last or not.

cx2
-----

2014-09-11 19:03:55

My comments about the crash were more a response to ggf saying things might change next century, sinse I'm really not certain at this point whether we'll come to our senses or not. It's more the recognition that the current situation isn't really one that could be perminant, though whether this changes with a major violent upheaval or a slower more gradual change into something hopefully better I don't kno, it's just the recognition that the current capitalist system can't last forever the way it is going at the moment, similar to the recognition that the cold war couldn't last forever either.

In the mean time however I do agree that doing what you can is a good idea, though it sometimes feels like your pushing against an extremely large brick wall.

2014-09-13 14:00:27

I realize that in the grand skeme of things, I'm merely a grain of sand among many.  So, I'll say my bit, and move on.  I think, ove the years we've made a good deal of progress, and I've been alive for 40 years to see that happen.  When I first started school, I had to fight to be in a mainstream classroom situation.  Now, there are many who take advantage of being in such a situation.  I've never minded paying for something within reason, but, in so doing, I have to balance out whether it is important to me.  I live on my own, I raise my daughter.  Sometimes, at the end of the month, I have almost nothing left.  So, I have to save for quite awhile to get some of these things, and that is assuming my daughter doesn't have things come up that she needs more.  All I'm saying is that sometimes, these companies do charge more than they should forthings and sometimes, it's not a matter of will I pay for an item,...It's can I.  If the answer is no, then it's one more piece of technology that I won't be seeing.  I'm thankful for what I have, and until I can do better, I'll make what I have work.  *warm smile*  I'll thank the developers who put their time and effort into making things accessible for us, and I'll thank the members of this site and others because I learn new and valuable things every day from you all.  Thanks for letting me voice my thought.  Each of you have a wonderful day.

There is way too much blood in my caffine system!  I require coffee in great amounts for total thought processes.

2014-09-14 21:40:40

Hi morecofee50.
You might want to take a look at NVDA.
www.nvaccess.org

It's a free screen reader which I use every day.
I'm just mentioning it cause it might help you with your day to day life.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-09-17 03:19:22

I guess the only things I have against the blind community are their refusal to use anything other then what they think works. for instance, I used an android for a year, when the screen reader was much worse than it is now, and big shocker nfb people, I liked it. I also found it easier in some ways than the iphone. Especially because it didn't randomly play music on me or decide to turn off speech if I wanted to use dictation. I have had to get a replacement iphone because the processor in my other one crashed, and the dictation thing still happens. also the tutorial on androids pretty much blows apple's instruction attempts on the iphone out of the water. I do have 1 issue with the knfb reader, there is text detective, Saytext, and probably countless <$20 apps that are supposed to read stuff you take pictures of for iphones, not counting the droid ones. Many of these are accessible, probably even work just as well as knfb reader. I can understand something like $40 or 50, but how are they "helping blind people be independent" if they are selling things they can't afford.

2014-09-17 10:55:28

Hi.
I've tried an android phone, for a couple of minutes and honestly wasn't impressed. As far as I could tell you couldn't flick through stuff and it seemed quite clunky. the voice was nice if a bit loud, but apart from that I'd not switch to android. saying that, it's possible I could have used an older version and that the newer ones are a lot better. As for KNFB reader, yes I agree there should be a demo, but cause I have the money I'll be buying it and hopeing it works as it says it does. I think I might even try my hand at writing a review on here and applevis. So hopefully those who may be thinking of buying the KNFB reader can do so, knowing what to expect.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-06-30 19:17:40

I know this is an old topic, it showed up in the results of an unrelated search. Probably because NVDA is mentioned in it. Anyway, I just felt that I needed to put in my two cents worth.

I've had vision problems my whole life, for most of my life I had perfectly usable 20/60 vision, but in 2010 I started losing my vision to an very aggressive form of glaucoma and was declared legally blind in July of 2013.

I was fortunate, as part of my benefits package, my last employer included short and long term disability insurance, which pays 60% of your last salary until retirement age when social security takes over. So, between the disability insurance and social security disability benefits, I don't have to work and in fact decided to retire early.

Do I feel entitled? Yes I do, the law says I qualify for the social security benefit income and I earned the disavility insurance benefit by working hard.

Some of my family members complain, I just tell hem that if they want to join me all they have to do is go blind, that usually quiets them down.

This is how I feel about discounts and free things due to a disability. If it's something the law says you are qualified for and should recieve it, if you want it, then by all means, make sure you get it, just don't be rude or obnoxious about it.

If its offered to you, you can accept, but do it graciously with a thank you, don't act like it's your due, because it isn't, the person or company making the offer is just being kind, be kind in return.

With that said, I will say that no matter how much I might want some discount or freebie, I *never* ask for it. I'll let them offer it, if they will.

But, if it's something I need, like help with shopping, or guidance through an airport, I'll ask for assistance, but I do it politely, waiting for my turn at the customer service counter. And while I'm waiting for whom ever will be helping me to arive, I step out of the way so the next person in line can have their turn.

To me it's all just simple common sense. Being rude and obnoxious like the world owes you a favor or that you are entitled, will just make most people resistant to your demands. And just makes you unwelcome. But  if you treat people with respect and consideration, most will be more than happy to do what they can for you.

Am I perfect? No! Not by a very long shot! But I do try.

Now for some specific points brought up in this thread.

I use JAWS because that was all the people at The Lighthouse, where I got my rehabilitation trainning, knew about. I feel rather foolish that I didn't do my own research, had I done so, I might be using NVDA instead.

I have KNFB reader for my iPhone 5s, sometimes I love it because it does a really good job, but other times I wonder why I wasted my money on it when all it returns is gibberish. The gibberish might be from motion blur, though I try to be very still while it is taking the picture it will scan. I've heard that it works a lot better on iPhone 6 and 6+ with their hardware based anti blurring, or is it called picture stability. I waited quite a while before buying it, hoping for a demo or trial version, I eventually gave up waiting, which turned out to be a good decision because there is still no demo or trial version, and at this point, I'd be willing to bet that there never will be.

So, there's my two cents worth, for what its worth.

2015-06-30 21:15:50

Update to my previous post:

One thing to consider about KNFB Reader, unlike many cheaper and free OCR apps, with KNFB Reader, your documents are processed right there on your device. Many of the other OCR apps, send the picture of the document to be scanned to a server where it is processed and the results sent back to you, this leads to privacy concerns. I'm perfectly comfortable using KNFB Reader to scan my personal mail that I would never consider scanning with a server based OCR app.