2014-09-11 22:05:14

hi,
I got this laptop near the end of 2010
i've been using it ever since
however since a few months ago I am having vary serious performance issues
I think that this got progressively worse over time
the computer is incredibly slow
when I press a key on the keyboard for example, it takes 5 10 seconds to respond sometimes
file copy, program setup operations freeze then a few seconds later things continue only to freeze again
even simple operations like clicking a folder freeze up the system
I tried everything
malware scans, disk defrag chkdsk, toshiba pc diagnostics and even a reformat
all tests came up ok
I brought my pc to a computer repair shop to get it cleaned and to have components tested
the tech at the shop said he tested all components and they all seemed to function fine
does anyone have any idea what could be wrong

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-09-11 22:48:17

Hard drive is probably doing much more error correcting than it needs to be doing.  I would suggest grabbing SpinRite from GRC.com.  It's not accessible, as it launches as its own operating system etc, but it might work.

But, honestly, a 4-year-old-computer.  Get a new one.

2014-09-11 23:00:35

hi,
I don't currently have a budget to get a new computer
and this computer serves my needs well
i'll probably get one when my usage needs change

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-09-12 11:50:08

Well, my laptop is giving me problems too, though not as serious. Not to mention the microphone port seems to be spoiled as I can't use microphones on this laptop, and the laptop doesn't detect batteries and therefore didn't charge them, let alone allow me to use it when the battery is put in. I won't change my laptop yet, however, since I don't need to use a microphone much, and I would prefer to use plugs more than using batteries.
As for performance problems, my laptop often lags when using facebook, and various other apps. Not as serious as yours though it lags badly in the downloads folder for my user acount when i start moving from one item to the next and NVDA just give those progress bar beeps. The strange thing is that once the NVDA beeps stop, the lag stops as well.

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-09-12 19:18:31

I would try and do a reinstall of the operating system.

2014-09-12 21:15:18

Your choices are basically reinstall windows or get a new computer.  In the case of a 4-year-old computer, budget or not, you're probably sitting at the point where you may have no choice.  Debugging it via an online forum is not going to work, especially if you'e already taken it to professionals.  If I was going to do anything, and I'm not saying I could, I'd have to physically be at the machine.
My Alienware from around the same time, maybe a bit older, was top-notch.  At the time, it was the most powerful laptop you could get, and we paid an arm and a leg and a head for it.  My mid-range Macbook, costing almost 6 times less, is just about as powerful, and if you get a windows computer it's even cheeper.  While it is true that computer speed increases are slowing, they're still not linear.  Your needs may not be met by the machine for the simple reason that microsoft and other companies expect and want you to have a newer one; as a consequence, they write software to use more power (mainly by making it look better/at a higher resolution, etc).  Your computer from 4 years ago is probably 16 or more times less powerful than a computer from right now at the same price you originally paid.  This is not all quantified in numbers, or at least not the numbers you think; going into that is a major trip down computer architecture lane and probably beyond the scope of this thread.
I'm not saying run to the store.  I'm simply saying that it might be the only thing you can do.  What kind of software do you run on a daily basis?  That might say a lot; then again, it might not.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-09-12 21:29:07

hi camlorn,
I constantly run  avast and nvda
I use firefox for web browsing and thunderbird for e-mail reading
other than that I sometimes use adobe reader and microsoft office
on processors, I thought intel was focusing on lowering the voltage the processor uses in order to save battery life
more than intel focused on performance
and instead of getting a new computer wouldn't replacing ram and the harddrive probably solve the issue
because I heard that those are the components that usually fail

2014-09-12 21:42:17

hi,
this article seems to explain the differences between processor  generations
http://www.itechtics.com/processor-generations/

2014-09-12 22:01:18

Well, since you already got professional help and it didn't work, I think this thing is about to kick the bucket anyway.
Sounds like you don't need a very powerful one, I used this old clunky machine I had for about 10 years and it still worked quite well, I only switched to a newer machine about 3 months ago. And this one isn't particularly powerful compared to what specs you can get on a computer nowadays.

2014-09-12 22:35:11

Well poster 9, do you have a desktop? For some reason it seems desktops last quite a bit longer than laptops. I have a friend who has had a desktop since like 07 that still works, meanwhile my previous personal computer lasted 3 years before it kicked the bucket.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-09-12 23:08:16

Regarding processor generations, Intel uses what they call a "tick tock" development cycle now. They mainly work on some features on the tick and the other ones on the tock so they get two years to refine the features and integrate them into the chips. That's not to say they won't improve the other features in that part of the cycle but it isn't the main focus.

16 times more powerful is a bit harsh to say the least, a 4 year old computer is likely to be significantly less powerful but not to that extent unless you're comparing a high end model with a budget model. In general terms though if you do need to replace it I'd focus on memory and number of cores above clock rate, with an SSD being a nice bonus.

What version of Windows are you running and what version did your computer come with? Do you have a lot of things running in the background?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-12 23:12:18

hi cx2,
nothing is running in the background except antivirus and nvda
my pc came with win7 but I purchased 8

2014-09-13 04:42:32

It depends.  If you purchase something now, you're going to have a bunch of little things that add up.  I'm mainly thinking of larger caches, faster ram bandwidths, and possibly an SSD (which, if not standard, is by no means uncommon).  By the numbers, my Macbook running Windows 7 under Bootcamp is slightly less powerful than my Alienware; it runs better than my Alienware did on day one.  While it is true that Intel is now focusing a lot on lower power consumption, that was less true 4 years ago, and there is a ton more than processor speed involved; while I'm not able to say with complete certainty that the clock speed is one of the least important numbers these days, I could make a pretty good argument for such a statement if I wanted.  The clock speed is great and all, but nowadays the bottlenecks are RAM and hard drive read/write speeds.
The only thing I see here is Avast.  It is possible, not probable but possible, that turning it off will suddenly make things run better.  That is, of course, dangerous.  But doing it temporarily for a couple hours might reveal it to be the problem.  If it is, you might be able to take further steps to handle it.

My Blog

2014-09-13 08:05:50

Clock speed isn't really changing these days, it's the processor architecture where the performance gains are coming from. For this reason I'd suggest anyone looking for a new system with good performance avoid the I3 in the same way they would have been best avoiding the Celeron, with quad core being preferable where possible. For the most part the difference between different clock speeds on an otherwise identical chip won't be noticeable for our purposes, especially for audio games and general Windows tasks.

I didn't consider SSDs in this because that isn't a part of processor performance, it's always possible to fit an SSD to an older system as well. Of course for laptops an SSD is a significant trade off compared with a spinning hard drive's sheer capacity, external drives aren't always convenient and cloud services aren't always available due to coverage issues which vary depending on where you live.

Have you tried running a cleaner program like CCleaner to see if there's anything clogging up your system? I know Win 8 may be having a negative effect as well but I'm not sure how severe that would be.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-13 12:38:22

hi,
it can't be due to avast since the pc was slow before it was installed
I did run ccleaner with not much result
windows 8 probably isn't the problem  since I used it for more than 1.5 years before problems started

2014-09-13 17:57:18

Did you try CCleaner's registry cleaner option as well? I also assume you've defragmented your hard drive at some point?

cx2
-----

2014-09-16 08:31:50

Hello,
I also use a laptop since about two years, and it's still working fine except the battery which won't charge and is stuck to 92% and I can't use it unplugged cause the battery will get lower and lower without having any opportunity to recharge. Anyway, I've read many articles and couldn't find any method which would solve the problem, but reading and reading I found something which might help you. That's hard reset, I didn't try it yet, cause it may erase all the files on my harddisk, but if I really need to perform that process, I will do that, it really fixes some issues found on windows, such as keyboard responses, screen resolution, power problems, and other problems. If you are interested in this suggestion I gave, please comment again, and let me know what kind of computer you have, so that I will check if we can do anything to resolve the problems.

2014-09-16 13:50:21

hi,
since I got a new laptop this topic is irrelevent
however I have a question
this laptop comes with 4 gb ram, 465 gb ssd, nvidia 2 gb graphics  and a intel core i5 4200m processor at 2.50 ghz
my question is:
is windows 8 more suitable for this laptop?
I temperarily installed 7 on it
I read in the microsoft lisence agreement that I can only use my windows 8 lisence on 1 pc
so apparently before I put my copy of windows 8 on this pc I need to uninstall it from my other pc
so will it give me a error when I input my key on this pc
how does microsoft know you removed windows from your other pc

2014-09-16 17:09:38

Microsoft probably made the authorization and deauthorization process happen online.  If they know, this is how.
I don't know about suitability of Windows 8.  It will probably run, but i've not upgraded nor looked at it very closely; I've decided to wait until Windows 9.

My Blog

2014-09-16 20:06:39

Holy crap that's one huge SSD.

cx2
-----

2014-09-17 08:59:40

hi,
a question
how will I deautherize my old  pc to install win8