2014-09-08 23:50:52

Well guys, for a huge sports fan like me, this is one of the best times of the year. With only 1 drawback of school starting, of corse.
The National Hockey League (NHL), National Basketball Association (NBA), National Football League (NFL), all are starting to get under way.
Mager League baseball (MLB), and Mager League soccer (MLS) are at the home stretches of the season nearing the playoffs.

My favorite sport is hockey. Kind of obvious, seeing as I’m from Canada. Lol.
That’s all we do down here, we live, breathe, and dye with hockey.
My favorite team is the Montreal Canadians.
I also follow the Montreal Impact in Mager League soccer.

NFL is of corse a Sunday tradition, I don’t really have a specific team in it, I’ll turn on the TV, or radio and watch any game.
I love watching the NBA playoffs.
For some reason, I never really got into baseball.

So what are your favorite sports, and sports teams?

2014-09-09 00:28:34

Awesome! I too grew up in Montreal and will be a Bleu Blanc et Rouge fan till the day I die.

2014-09-09 00:47:03 (edited by champraki 2014-09-09 00:48:00)

That is so amazing, I never thought to meat another Habs fan in this community.
You moved out of Montreal?

For those of you that don’t know, Bleu, Blanc et Rouge is French for red, white and blue which is the jersey colors of the Montreal Canadiens.

2014-09-09 00:48:12

I did smile moved to Canada as soon as I turned 19. I'm (mostly) a Torontonian now

2014-09-09 07:24:36

Sounds cool, yeah, mostly, accept that your still a Habs fan. lol.

2014-09-09 15:41:28

Well, as far as sports goes I a more or less a casual sports fan. I certainly will listen to football games on the weekend such ass college and pro football, and on occasion listen to baseball too. However, I am in no way a hard core fan of any sport.

As far as pro teams goes I live in north-eastern Ohio so support my local teams such as the Cleveland Indians and the Cleveland Browns. I wouldn't necessarily say they are my favorite teams, but since they are my home teams I route for them when they play.

I do much the same when it comes to high school football and basketball. I often route for the West Holmes Knights when they play because they are my local team. I don't have any other reason to consider them a favorite, but since they are local I route for them.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-09-10 01:29:54

Of course I'm a habs fan! I'm casual like Tward but will never, ever root for the leafs. I don't understand why their fans are so loyal with such a losing record.

2014-09-10 08:24:51

Well, weather or a not a team has a good winning record doesn't have much to do with fan loyalty. Of course, if they have a winning team it will make them more likely to become a fan, but its more about team spirit, the hope of winning, than actually winning itself.

For example, my local NFL team, the Browns, have an abysmal win/loss record. Last year was definitely a bad season for the team. That doesn't seem to effect the number of Clevelanders willing to turn out for the games, who wear their Browns memorabilia during the season, and route for them all the same. After all, there is always a chance that the current season will be better than the prior ones and so the fans keep on hoping for a championship season regardless of how likely it is.

I certainly don't know the answers here, but I am pretty sure there is more to loyalty an fandom than just mere winning and losing. For some, I suppose, it is the need or desire to support the home team no matter if they win or lose.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-09-10 14:30:11

Yeah, I was about to say that, some call these fans stupid, others call them loyal.
Personally, if my favorite team struggled like that I’d still support them.
As the saying goes, a real fan supports there team through thick and thin.
But with the leefs, the ticket prices are sky high, but the building is full every night, and they haven’t won the championship in more than 40 years.
Toronto, like Montreal is a hockey mad city so there fans will watch their teams no matter what.
I think the Chicago white sox haven’t won in some time also, but their fans still support their team strongly.

2014-09-10 21:02:38

Favorite sport... is one that wasn't listed here. goalball! but since there aren't anything other than provincial or national teams, it's hard to pick a favorite. I'm also a Canadian, but unlike the two of you I'm a Vancouverite. hahaha So I guess BC would be my favorite team since I play for them! tongue Internationally, I love Japan's teams because of their play style, strategy and general attitude.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-09-10 22:50:50

Wow, did you play for the national team?

I’ve been wanting to get a hold of someone to try out for Quebec’s team, but I have no idea what so ever, who to call or what to do. Lol

2014-09-11 00:51:38

Call asaq and they should be able to give you information. I played twice on the youth national mens' team for Canada at the IBSA world youth games in Colorado. 2009 and 2011 were the years I went.

2014-09-13 20:14:23

@assault_freak

What's asaq?

2014-09-13 21:08:53

It's the blind sports organization in Quebec... you're from there, right? I don't remember what it stands for... I speak French, but living in Vancouver, I really can't bring myself to remember. But they should have information about goalball for you if you want to get into it. good luck!

2014-09-13 21:59:53

wow man, big help, thanks. I'll give them a call.

2014-09-14 19:47:57

Lol I can't remember that organization's name either, but from what I hear, its quite vibrant. Many of my goal ball colleagues here in Toronto have fond stories about the players from Québec.

2014-09-14 21:45:04

So how is the Canadian and American national teams compared to the rest of the world, are we any good?

2014-09-15 00:53:53

I'm not actually sure what the rankings are right now... but the Canadian men are somewhere in the top 20, not sure about the women. the US men and Women both finished in the top 10 this summer in Finland, Canadian men came in a little below the top 10, and the women were not at worlds. The USA women won the world champions title.