2014-09-12 19:10:46 (edited by nina0116 2015-03-26 22:36:19)

Hi everyone.  Nina0116 here from skyline audio with a brand new game.  For the last 11 months I have been working on a game similar to the fs note taker game bongo.  In the original game the player had to make their way through mazes filled with letters that they needed to collect.  While exploring each maze the player had to contend with monsters that were out to kill the player's chances.  Well in this game called Candy Crashers the concept is similar, except instead of collecting letters, the player has to collect candy.  Also the monsters in the bongo game could be taken out in one shot, and you could shoot them from only 1 square away.  Not in cc.  Each monster has a certain amount of hit points and the player and monsters have attack values, defence values and a range value.  Both the attack and defence values can be raised in each level by picking up power and defence boosts.  Finally this version contains a story mode in witch you will play as a child out to collect all the candy she can, for her own reason.  The story mode also contains a boss fight every fith level, and each fight is slightly different then the last.  The game also allows the player to select from 5 difficultity levels that decide how many monsters you will see during each non boss level.  If you need a break from the story mode or just want to have quick candy run, then try out the survival mode in with the monsters will have hp, attack, defence, and range values equal to the current level.  I hope people find this a fun game, and you can e-mail me with any questions, and or sujestions.  Oh here is the game's link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3gkimcvek28x … s.rar?dl=0
Let me know what you think.
Nina0116

Want to order food, but can't get out? Try this .
https://postmat.es/Tw5eUTrBn4

2014-09-12 20:33:08

Downloading the game now, it sounds cool big_smile
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-09-12 21:01:25

Hello,
Using nvda, SAPI will constantly read, monster name attacks if you hit space multiple times, even after you move away. I don't seem to be doing any damage to certain monsters, so I keep getting the ghost of coffin attacks, the ghost of coffin attacks.
If it's not a bug, it'd be nice to at least be told you don't have enough defense so you're not dumbly wasting time attacking. The sapi bug should be addressed though.
Hope this helps. I love the game otherwise! Keep up the good work.

2014-09-12 21:29:54

Thanks.  I'll look in to it.

2014-09-12 22:16:12

Hi,
Even though this looks like a promising start, I have a couple of things to say.

• The first and most obvious thing is that you insult Christianity.  I do not have a religious opinion, but I know that a lot of forum members seem to at least.  I would change that insult to something else less blasphemus.  Normally I'd just leave it, but it was so obvious with sapi that I believed it might deserve attention.

• The cutscenes cannot be skipped, at all.  This would be very good to include.

• The game should exit when the game says "really quit" , but it crashes irrepairably, having to be closed using task manager.

• Is there any documentation?  If so, where is it; it might be nice to have a tutorial or something.

Hope this advice helps.
The Doctor.

My TARDIS: time and relative dimension in space machine.  its bigger. on the inside.  infinitely bigger on the inside.

2014-09-12 23:07:02

the game's concept looks interesting, however i found that I was able to set my attacka nd defense to 10000 in the status menu. Also the beta testing features seem to still be in place, for example hitting v will clear all monsters from the map. Firing the laser does not hit any enemies.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-09-12 23:47:53

talking tho the game,
hey cursor, or what is it, you can stop all that moment you riseivied and other users wish to put a bomb in cursors head?
I mean
talking about the game,Cursor, Spammer.
Sorry.
Talking.
About.
The game, o my god, it's fun!

Luis Carlos Gonzáles Moráles, from Panama!

2014-09-13 00:08:24

I found a bug.
for some reason the game always loads up window-eyes but I'd rather not use window-eyes.
how can I start the game without having the game load window-eyes.
I only want to select my screen reader upon startup of the game like sapi5

2014-09-13 04:10:32

yeah, I have a feeling you may have been a bit hasty in releasing the game and forgot to get rid of the beta testing stuff. A really good idea is to group up all your beta testing key checks into 1 funcion, then just comment out that function call in your game's main loop so that all the testing features can be switched off with 1 or 2 edits. Or maybe just make a boolean property that youc an switch on and off that lets the game know if you want the testing features to be activated.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2014-09-13 10:36:10

hi it's a very good game. however I've noticed that you can't use the number row to turn and scan. you should be able to do that, because some keyboards don't have a number pad.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-09-13 14:55:13

Yeah, the reliance on the number pad is not a good idea; you should provide alternates, maybe shift with j l m n comma u i and o could scan and control with these keys could aim? For consistency you'd have to add shift to the num pad commands, and maybe make it so you moved by just pressing them.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2014-09-13 16:25:44

Hi.
The game seems good, but I've noticed something; I am unable to read menus speach diolog, or anything when it comes to using NVDA. The menus don't read when pressing up and down I just had to guess  on what I was clicking on, and I'd like to know how Christianity was insulted, I find it interesting if it was since Neena is a Christian.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-09-13 17:08:56

I defeated the boss but I don't know how to free the souls after listening to the cutscene.
how do I free the souls when the shop keeper says that he doesn't know how to defeat them?
also, I'm unable to use my laser, plus I don't like When the game loads window-eyes.
I'd rather use sapi5 instead.

2014-09-13 18:05:31

Ok, I've attempted to transcribe the cutscene, for those wishing to read how Christianity was insulted.  I don't really have a religious view but to have this stick out and be read by sapi as an unfeeling emotionless screen-reader that can't convey sarcasm, which was probably the intention, I would think most people would find offensive.
mark: i think we have enough candy for one night.  Besides, it's not something a Christian person would do.
mary: for the last time I don't care about your stupid Christ!

My TARDIS: time and relative dimension in space machine.  its bigger. on the inside.  infinitely bigger on the inside.

2014-09-13 19:21:57

Sounds very cool. Going to download it now.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-09-13 20:04:49

This game's really good. I tested it pretty extensively and I haven't had it crash once on me, and that's always good to see. Here are the bugs I have found:

if you start survival mode, it doesn't reset the level you were on. So if you had just played level 6 of the story mode and started survival mode, you would be on level 6. There also appears to be way too many power ups on survival mode, and they last forever. So like by level 2 I was doing like 12 damage to everything and not being hit and by level 5 I was doing like 95 damage, and because of all my speed pills I had about 80+ movement per turn because of all the power boosts I was getting. I think that perhaps you should have like a chance for powerups to appear that decreases as levels go up so eventually you would have no choice but to lose because of the growing enemy power, or otherwise allow access to the store after each level so that you could spend points (though the game would keep track of your total points for the purpose of tracking high scores). Also I unlocked boss rush mode. I think it's kind of strange but once I figure out how to destroy that wax ghost thing without getting hit so much and losing so many lives it will be better. The worst part ab out the wax ghost is that the field is pretty big, and scanning for him takes a lot of time.
Oh also, another debug feature to remove, if you hit f1 you get a list of all the sounds in the sound pool or something, I'm not quite sure what all those numbers mean. Also you can hit v to destroy all the monsters on the level and z to make the game thing the level is complete when it might not actually be. You can press enter on anything in the status menu to set the value to whatever you like.

Also, speech support is kind of irregular and often overlaps. For example if you fire your laser, you'll hear your screen reader say that a monster was defeated at the same time you hear the sapi5 say how much damage it took. You can make the screen reader voice the menus as well by using set_speech_mode and making it figure out which reader is currently active. I suggest either switching completely to sapi or using the class I uploaded to the developer room. That will help you to save a lot of confusion. Also I wonder why all the power ups and walls disappear from normal story levels when monsters are defeated, that's kind of weird.

2014-09-13 20:12:46

Hi.
Please don't switch to sapi completely. My sapi support is broken. I only have NVDA.
This game seems quite cool. smile

I'm gone for real :)

2014-09-13 20:41:50

I think these are actually easter eggs.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-09-13 21:02:31

Hey cool game I do have some suggestions. I think it would be better if the fighting was not turned baced and you and the monsters could just keep attacking each other. If you intend on keeping it turn based a way to scielence the text to speech would be very helpful. Also if you could eat the candy you find, maybe for different boosts or just for the fun of it. It would be cool to if the story lines were acted out. Even if you can't find kids to do it there are some live like new kid text to speech voices by Akapella that you could use. Just my thoughts nice game!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2014-09-15 03:13:37

Hello
I quite like this game, but I am having terrible difficulty with the second boss.
spoiler space, spoiler space, spoiler space.
How do I destroy the black knight?
I can't shoot him with the laser or bomb it.
Can you please help?
Thanks.

2014-09-16 16:18:45 (edited by threeblacknoises 2014-09-16 17:48:23)

Hay Nena016, I plaied the game.
Their needs to be an option to choose what speech engine you wish to use.
The game could also use some documentation as well.
Also, I've noticed that some speach is done with sapi and some works with nvda.
Cut seens need a skip function as well.
I also noticed that there seems to be two copies of candy crushers in the file, one in the root and one in a folder called candy crushers.
The file could be made smaller if only one copy was kept.

I looked at some of your music and sound, and have made new files for some of the sounds that sound better.
I redid the knocking sound effect and made new versions of levels 6, 19 and 24.
Would you be enterested in these files?
Don't worry, they're from the same sources that you got the music from, they just sound better and have intros and loops that work better than yours did.
If you wish, I could redo all the music so it loops properly.
I don't have the Mother 3 music with the echoes like you use, but if you send me the source files of the music you wish to use, I could make good loops for you.

2014-09-16 21:06:04

yes how do I get the black knight to step on the switches? no matter how I try to drive him he never walks on the switches, like he has an AI or something.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-09-17 22:00:38

I tested my new sounds last night and found that if a file called level6.ogg appears in the music foulder and the intro subfolder, the intro will play first, and then the song's loop kicks in.
I did notice that there is a tiny delay after the end of the intro before the song starts.
Maybe this could be fixed?
Also, how do you hit the monsters, do you have to wait until they face you?
Just an FYI, the sond for level 19 undersea temple is misslabled on the final fantasy origins soundtrack.
The song for the underwater temple is actually the song that plays in the final dungion of the game.
it's still a good song, I just didn't know if you chose the song for it's title or if you'd actually plaied final fantasy origins.

2014-09-18 21:50:19

Hi everyone, sorry it has taken me so long to write, I got sick this last week, not 6 hours after uploading the game.  So first up, The Doctor the insault was aimed at mark in the scene and not at Christianity.  Next KeyIsFull congratulations on beating the game, at least I hope that is what is unlocked boss rush mode because that is how I programed it.  Next to everyone that mentioned it I have already taken out the key that destroies all monsters on the map. I am supprised no one mentioned the fact that when the player moved the curser didn't quite keep up, well I have that fixed.  threeblacknoise if you could I would like to hear the new versions you have made, could send them to me please.  For those stuck on the black knight you must shoot each switch once either from above (north), or below (south).  Thanks to everyone for the messages about the screen reader problems, I use nvda my self and noth else, so I was unawear of any other problems.  I am still trying to work out the right way to have the screen reader handle a lot of input at once.  If you want to see what I mean before the next update, try setting your range to 10 or higher and then shoot at a line of enemies and see how long it takes for your screen reader to stop reading.  I will have all of the debugging keys out of the game with next realse.  Also I will be updating the readme file to explain some concepts I forget when I first wrote it.  Sorry for the long post, but look forward to most if not all these problems fixed and uploaded next week.
nina0116

2014-09-18 22:23:37

does it matter if I accidentally step on the switches before shooting them? does it also matter what direction I am facing?
Thanks.