2008-02-06 12:22:40

Does anyone know of any Brain Training games that are accessible to gamers who are blind or visually impaired?

John

2008-02-06 17:08:57

As far as I know there are no specifically brain training orientated games, but there are various word, memory and puzle games (including the ones from 7-128), which could be considdered in the same light.

all of the blind gamers spoonbill games, most of the games from asabat software http://www.azabat.co.uk/ (though most of those are available only on cd),

Several accessible sudocu games such as soundocu from draconis, sound puzle from Vip gameszone (a rubics cube type game), and Gma mine sweeper and gma solitare from Gma games.

there is also blankblock from lighttech interactive (a version of the peg solitare boardgame which i believe is called hacu in the states), and light locater, ---- a creative version of guess the number with a radioactive bomb.

then there are The Lworks arcade games, Lworks lock pick (a varient on mastermind and guess the number with limited time), a couple of letter and number games from Bsc software, and quite a few of jim kitchin's games.

there is also I believe an accessible crossword game from american printing house for the blind, and a free floating simon game somewhere or other as well, as well as websites hosting word games like freerice.

there might even be some I've missed off. As I said, none of these are officially classed as brain training, tthough I know several, ---- such as simon and sudocu have been used as brain training tasks (and included in brain training packs) before.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-08 01:05:08

Dark,

Thanks for the good info.

Please tell me more about the "brain training packs" you mentioned.
Where did you see them?
Who is the developer?
What do you think of them?

Thanks,

John

2008-02-08 04:05:50

Hi John, ---- and I just remembered I forgot about change reaction from Draconis, and the two games from klango (especially pirate memory game).

speaking about packs, I was thinking of the brain training games I've seen recently advertised for consoles like Nintendo wii and Ds. I'm guessing these are not accessible though, but they do include things like sudocu and simon, ---- though I think some other coordination exercises as welll. Other than the advertisements though, I really don't know much about them, ---- I'd suggest searching for brain training on www.gamefaqs.com and reading people's reviews, ----- or maybe Wikipedia (which is usually good on computer games).

Brain training in general sounds an interesting field from the bits of information I've picked up on it, ---- mostly from my mum who's a children's physio therapist, and so occasionally having to deal with forming new neurological pathways.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)