2014-08-31 02:29:33

Hi there,

Okay, so here's the deal. I'd really, really like to make an RPG, a big one. A standalone program, not a browser-based game as I've worked on in the past.

I have the experience to design, numerically and technically, a combat system that's both flexible and interesting. I believe that I can also come up with a good storyline with solid dialogue, character development, a considerable challenge factor and plenty of optional stuff if the main story wasn't hard enough. I prefer a more traditional medieval-ish style, swords and sorcery, and I would intend to use elemental magic and weapon skills.

Playing Paladin of the Sky really showed me how much can be done in this vein. Problem is, I don't know how to code and would love the help of someone who does. I pretty much have the combat stuff written out already, and that's the real meat of code in an RPG...making battle function properly. The only thing left would be balancing (which is fun and takes a little time) and the integration of a story. I'm pretty sure I can do both of things, if not alone then with a little help.

Are any of you skilled enough or interested enough to be curious? If so, respond here, PM me, get in touch in whatever way you see fit. Right now, I have nothing more than ideas and a whole bunch of concepts for how battle would work on paper. I have not designed areas, bosses or a storyline yet, because I'd hate to see it stagnate.

Thanks in advance.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2014-08-31 03:48:20

Hi Jayde.
I'm a little confused do you know how to code or not? You mentioned working on games in the past so it sounds like you do have some experience. I would be interested in helping just let me know which language or tools your going to use. And have you thought about whether this game will be cross platform or not?

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-08-31 04:02:29

When I say that I have previous experience, I'm referring to the creation of a combat model. I did not code it, not at all; I knew a bit of how it might work, but I don't know programming near well enough to be anything close to useful, except to generally be aware of what does and does not work.
My browser-based game Tarranoth, which has sadly gone to that great database in the sky, would've been a really good way to show what I'm capable of, numerically. Suffice it to say that I got a lot of firsthand experience working directly with a coder.
If you work with me, you'll be working with someone who doesn't code but who does generally understand the limitations this medium presents. You'll also be working with a team player who's open to ideas, and a person whose work ethic is top-notch. I won't give you shoddy material to work with. I won't make up bogus mechanics for one function that only ever gets used once or twice. I'm in this to create a good solid RPG that players will like, and which will offer unique challenges. When I brainstorm, I don't just go "You know what would be cool?" and then expect someone else to go through the scrap pile to salvage the bits that will work and the bits that won't.

To answer your question about platforms, I personally am familiar only with Windows, but cross-platform support would be lovely. I do intend that this be a PC game, not an IOS game, however. I'm okay with mac support if that's possible, but I don't wish to create a genuine IOS project here.
Regarding tools...I'm not sure here. BGT was used for Paladin of the Sky and it looked pretty solid, but if something else (or combinations thereof) could provide equal or better experience, I'd be happy with those.

At least to start with, it is probably best that the game use SAPI or some kind of synthetic speech. I can worry about voice-acting when, and if, this takes off. I'm not talking about a two-dungeon audio game though...this would be the sort of thing that might take players a good twenty hours to finish, and that's if they know what they're doing.

If you have further questions or comments, I welcome them.

2014-08-31 04:46:48

Hi Jayde.
Well it sounds like you have really thought this through. I can't promise anything at the moment since I'm pretty busy but this does sound interesting. I don't think I could use bgt since I have epically failed with it so many times but python or pure basic is no problem.
If you are only familiar with windows I could deal with the cross-platform stuff since it has nothing to do with gameplay or mechanics. And you don't have to worry about iOs. As much as I love the iPhone I don't like the restrictions that apple put's on it's developers. I want to make games as big or as small as I want.
You said you already have some ideas for the rpg could you post them here or pm me with what you have? As for screen-reader support it would take me half an hour to add something like that. I usually like to get all the boring stuff out of the way like screen-reader support and different settings so I can focus on putting the actual game together.
You know you should check out purebasic or python and try to write some small programs. You wouldn't want to start out by creating your rpg but just write some simple hello world and guess the number programs and go from there. I think you would have a lot of fun adding to code yourself.
Also, I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time. I listen to mainstream game trailors and reviews and I always hear something like, "This game has over 100 hours of exploration, plenty of unlockables and battles to keep you busy." Whenever I play an audiogame I always wish that we had the resources of mainstream companies to build massive games like the zelda games or dead space. Entombed is really good but has no story or ongoing quests it's just walking around or fighting. We need better stuff than that.
I really need to check out paladin of the skies since I've been hearing so much about it. Adventure at c was good so I'm sure paladin can only be better.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2014-08-31 05:08:00

Paladin of the Sky is maybe ten to twelve hours if you know what you're doing, twenty to thirty if you don't. Some neat mechanics, a sometimes infuriating magic system, lots of maps to run around on.
It takes place largely on a ship, and I want to avoid that. I want you to run around in a whole world. Multiple towns, maybe a couple of slightly larger cities. Roads through hillsides. Caves. Maybe a desert. And some good old-fashioned dungeon-ish type stuff.

Here are the things I know I'm after, regarding some combat nuts and bolts.

- per-round fighting; that is, no timed stuff, no active time gauge...you can take all the time you need to strategize
- four elements (earth, water, air and fire); you get four characters in total, and each character gets one sphere of magic...your choice
- skills and spells unlocked by level, and enemies that give experience when killed
- optional secret skills/spells, perhaps one each per character, which have to be quested for
- enemies can have elemental resistances and immunities, and can sometimes heal if you hit them with an inappropriate element
- save points, not a save-anywhere feature; I want the game to be a challenge, an if you can simply save after every battle, you take some of the difficulty out of it
- status effects (blindness will lower physical accuracy, muddle will make your magic very inaccurate, silence will render you unable to use magic, paralysis will render you unable to use physical attacks, sleep will make you helpless unless you are hit)
- bosses with attack patterns (performs attack a, then attack b, then attack c; will respon with attack d at any time when condition x is met) ..and more, obviously

As far as ideas for a raw story, I don't have tons yet. I know that I want four characters you can play, hopefully in a party all at once (like Entombed). I know that one female's name is Jann, and I think your non-main character's name (the male I mean) is Breck. Sue me, I like slightly odd names.
The idea, as it stands, is a bit simplistic, but I'm open for suggestions on this. It's an average day in the life of your main character, but one evening after wandering the countryside hunting or something, he returns home after seeing some strange lights near the village and nearly everyone is acting strangely. There's a smoking hall where the village green used to be, and a bunch of chunks of rock around its edge. The townspeople seem enthralled by the fragments, and when the main character gets close, he gets a sort of vision...someone tells him to go no closer, lest he be corrupted. At that moment he notices that some of his former friends and loved ones are looking his way with some hostility in their eyes. He takes off, and isn't followed.
This is probably the prologue of the game, and you get dumped into the action trying to find someone sane who can explain what happened.
I am not planning for an epic good guy vs. bad guy thing right from point 1. I dislike evil purely for evil's sake; my villain may be a villain, but there's going to be method to their madness.
The game is essentially going to be the main character's journey to unravel what's going ion, and to discover the identity and objective of a group of three hooded figures who are always nearby when calamity strikes or when things become strange. Someone has, without quite realizing it, stumbled on something both wonderful and terrible, and they'll do almost anything to protect it.

2014-08-31 14:40:25

I think I might want to help with this, but I'm also in the middle of like 3 other projects at the moment, so I have no idea if I could manage what it needs. :-/

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-08-31 15:35:34

Hate to be a back seat moderator, but this goes in development room.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-08-31 17:31:33

@Jayde, how quickly would you like to have this ready? I am asking because if you don't mind starting next year, I can be your man. I would like to have this fully voiced and the best quality we can get, simply because the audio games community really needs a good turn-based real rpg. This of course means that we will need a lot of people, but I am positive we can make it, especially if we can receive some sort of funding for semi-professional voice actors and actresses. But I am getting ahead of myself smile
Let me know what you think.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2014-08-31 18:14:01

It doesn't have to be ready right away. If I know I've got people interested, I can work out a script and maybe try and get one person to make me a battle engine so I can test stuff for balance. Failing that, I also want to make some more immersive details (such as knowing what people and items look like). A lot of work, overall, and most of it text-based so all a coder would have to do is put the right text in the right place.

My basic idea for mapping is grid-based, at least roughly speaking. Having something similar to the tone system in Paladin of the Sky would be good, but when I say grid system I mean that hitting left arrow would move you to the left, not turn you. I do plan for some mazes and a few puzzles, but I don't intend this game to have insane platforming angles.
I dearly want the game to have a full party though...as in, it's not 1 vs. 1, it's ultimately 4 vs. however many enemies there are. I don't know how tricky this will be to code. In the party menu (maybe accessed by pressing p) you could see your character's stats, experience, skills/spells and status. I would want to use something like the e or x key on maps to examine something you've bumped into, whether it's a chest or a person. Barriers could yield descriptions too...in a town it might just be a wall made from red bricks of clay, in a forest it might be a deadfall.
I would like also to add, at some point in the story, a crucible of synthesis...an item you can get, optionally, where you put two or more items in it, walk around awhile (or fulfill some other requirement) and then the crucible opens to reveal a new item.

Short answer: no, this doesn't have to be done right away.

2014-08-31 19:53:43

I'm happy with this. I was thinking of Shadow Line-based rooms with room/area ambience, etc to help the player out, to add to your map design. But these are things that can be taken care of later. Game design is much more important for now.
Right now, I have some projects to take care of, I'm definitely finishing one this year. I am definitely available from next year onwards, luckily my schedule wont be as tight then.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-08-31 20:07:24

Here's an overview of what I'm after for a basic combat engine, as far as specs go. Tell me, if one or more of you could, if this makes sense and/or would be too hard to code. I should think not, but I'm not a programmer either.

Statistics

Each entity capable of combat will have various statistics which govern how well they can perform. Below, I will discuss each.

HP: hit points. If this drops to 0, the entity is incapacitated and unable to battle unless revived by an ally.

MP: mana points. This governs the use of magical spells. If MP reaches 0, all skills which would consume MP are no longer available. MP can be healed in or out of battle using items if necessary.

Stamina: This is a gauge of your ability to perform actions. Characters begin a fight with 25 stamina (this can be enhanced with equipment or augmentation, see far below). Regular attacks use up 2 stamina, using an item (on you or on someone else) uses 1. Defending uses up 2 stamina as well. The Wait command will leave the waiting character completely helpless but restores 5 stamina. Stamina naturally recovers at a rate of 1 every round, and there are somewhat rare items which can be used to refill stamina, though it should be noted that many of these may damage the user's HP or MP as payment. Magic does not require stamina, because it requires MP, but physical skills can have costs anywhere from 3 to 12 stamina depending on their power and usefulness. Management of stamina will be an integral part of battle strategy.

Accuracy and Agility
These stats determine how often hits land and how often hits are dodged. If your accuracy and an enemy's agility are equal, the chance of a hit is 75 percent. For every point of difference either way, the percentage goes up or down by 1, to a minimum of 10% and a maximum of 95%. For instance, if you have 10 accuracy and your opponent has 8 agility, you have a 77 percent chance to hit them. If they have 100 agility, you only have a 10% chance to hit them.
Note: Accuracy and agility figure into physical attacks only. Some physical skills have agility and/or accuracy modifiers when used, such that a particularly wild attack might be less accurate, or a low-damage attack might be particularly so. Some skills will grant the user extra agility, followed on the round after by an attack which would then remove the agility bonus.

Focus and Foresight
Focus is the accuracy of your magic, and foresight is one's ability to dodge magic. Owing to the more costly aspect of magic, the base chance to hit is 85 percent instead of 75 percent, and it takes 3 points to change the percentage by 1 either way. For instance, if your focus is 100 and your enemy's foresight is 79, you have a 92% chance to hit. Unlike melee, magic may reach a maximum of 100 percent (which would take a minimum of 45 points of difference between your focus and your enemy's lower foresight). Also different from melee, magic's base chance to hit can never drop below 30%.

Damage and Armour

Damage, in this case, refers to how much pain you dish out with physical attacks. Damage is a fixed number, and equipping a weapon directly modifies it. For instance, a character whose damage is 14 who equips a sword whose damage is 4-6 now has a damage potential of 18-20.
Characters will gain bonuses to their damage as they level, or by using certain items.
Damage compares directly to armour to determine how much an enemy is hurt. The overall damage number is calculated first, then it is compared to the enemy's armour number. If the damage number is higher, the difference is dealt to the enemy as HP loss.
Example: damage of 20-23, armour of 6-6. Damage will be 14-17 (rolled randomly).
Armour is another fairly innate stat which can be enhanced by certain items and/or events. It will probably never become as godly as damage, and some characters are naturally more armoured than others. Wearing armour which has an armour rating naturally boosts this stat further.

Slash, Bash and Thrust
Weapons do different types of damage, and naturally, certain monsters are more resistant to certain types of attack...or weak to them, as may be the case. It may not be wise to use a sword on a stone golem, but using a hammer might work well, for instance.
Certain weapons will add a damage modifier while equipped, such as Bash+4. This means that any attack which uses the bash damage type would have 4 automatically added to its damage before calculating how badly the enemy will be hurt. It also means that attacks of a differing damage type will be unavailable. No using Tendon Slice while wielding a hammer. Certain armour will have modifiers against certain types of damage as well. A crystal breastplate might, for instance, have thrust+3 and bash -5, which means that it will help you resist thrusting attacks but will lower your armour against bashing attacks by 5.
Note: these single numbers will modify both sides of a spread...so if a spread is 3-5 and the modifier is +4, then the spread is now 7-9.

Examples
Jann uses a glittering rapier with a damage rating of 8-12 (thrust+6) to attack a stone golem (bash-5, thrust+7).
Jan's natural damage is 7. The golem's natural armour is 11.
Jann's damage is: 7+(rand 8-12)+6 = thrust damage of 21-25
Golem's armour is: 11+7 = 18
Thus, you would roll a number between 21 and 25, then remove 18 from that number, and that's how much the golem is hurt for.
Please note: certain characters can and will get bonuses to specific damage types as they level, so it will not be quite so easy to simply switch all characters to using a weapon of a certain type. This may help, but it will not be so crushingly advantageous as it might appear.

Magic Attack and Magic Defense

For want of better terms, these determine how much oomph your spells pack, and how well you can survive when hit with spells.
This is handled in much the same way as damage and armour. Certain pieces of equipment will augment your magic damage, and certain heavier pieces of armour, for instance, may impede it. Nonelemental magic is rare, however, and thus, most magic will be of an elemental type.

Earth, Water, Air and Fire

Much like slash, bash and thrust, these are specifics of magic damage. If you are using a Fireball spell, its damage will obviously be fire. Your magic damage will be calculated by taking your natural magical attack, then adding the spell damage on top of it, then factoring in the enemy's resistance to (or weakness to) that elemental type.
Many enemies will have no elemental affinity to worry about, but some certainly will. Observe an example:
Breck uses Chill Cascade (+12-18 water) on a Lava Beast (fire+9999, water -20).
Breck's magic attack is 13, and the Lava beast's magic defense is 9
Breck's overall damage with the spell in question is:
13+(rand 12-18) = 25-31
Lava Beast's overall magic defense is 9+(-20) = -11 (he will take 11 more damage since this is a water spell
Thus, the damage he will take from this spell is 36-42 because he is weak to water
See how this beast had 9999 fire defense? You will categorically never be able to have such high numbers without cheating, so you will not be able to hurt the beast with fire.

Each player in your party will choose one sphere of magic. Once that sphere is chosen, it will be unavailable to the other party members. As such, once a sphere of magic is chosen, the player will slowly gain innate damage boosts when using that element.

Speed

This stat has no other function except to determine who strikes first on any given combat round. It is a fixed number to begin with, but which will slowly go up as characters level. Some equipment can greatly raise one's speed, but usually at the cost of providing little in the way of protection or other benefits.
A quick note about speed: as you become wounded, your speed drops. For every 10% below your max HP you fall, your speed will correspondingly drop. Barring other skills which may override this mechanic, this will mean that having a party at fairly low health is a really excellent way to get it killed by a large group of enemies.

A few finishing notes, for now

1. If the accuracy/agility or focus/foresight check yields a miss, the game does not need to calculate any further. A miss is a wasted attack and yields no damage, generating only a miss message.
2. Damage or magic damage that is lower than armour or magic defense yields a result of 0. The game will generate a message such as "Jann attacks the Stone Golem with her shimmering rapier, but the foe shrugged off the blow", or "Breck uses Lavastorm on the Lava Beast, but it seems unaffected".
3. If there are enemies or bosses who possess attacks which can be cancelled by successfully attacking them while they charge, damage must be dealt in order for the interrupt to succeed. Attacking something for 0 damage will not sufficiently break its concentration.
4. If a weapon possesses a modifier to a damage type, it goes without saying that the damage type it will inflict will match. If a fire rod gives you a +3 to fire and a +1 to bash, then you apply both. If a Soulrender gives you +20 to slash, then it will be a slashing weapon.
5. Some enemies, or rare pieces of equipment, may possess a trait known as "eater" or "absorb". This will only be true for magical elements, and not physical damage types. In such a case, using an element on an affected entity will cause whatever the damage would otherwise have been to be added to the target's HP total instead of removing it. In this way, it is not possible to give an enemy more than its max HP, but obviously, attacking something that absorbs your element of choice probably isn't going to work well.
6. When a weapon possesses a magical element (and it will happen, albeit not too often), calculating how much damage is done becomes more complicated:
a) If a skill is being used, and the skill has a damage type ascribed to it, then that damage bonus is also applied
B) In a case such as this, all bonuses are figured in, and all resistances or weaknesses of the enemy are also figured in.

Observe:
Jayde is wielding a Lightbringer (5-10 damage, fire+4, slash+7) sword.
Jayde's damage is 14, and her innate slash proficiency is 3. Her innate fire proficiency is only 2.
She wants to use a skill called Tendon Slice. This skill does 13-17 slash damage.
So here's how you calculate how much she's going to hurt her foe for:
Slash damage = 14+3+7+(rand 5-10)+(rand 13-17) = 41-50
Fire damage = 4+2 = 6
Total damage = 47-56
This is the damage she would do against an enemy not resistant or weak to slashing attacks, and not resistant or weak to fire attacks.
In order to deal with a case where resistance or weakness would factor in, the calculations for armour and magic defense are done in that order.
In text, player-side, you might see something like:
Jayde uses Tendon Slice on the angry goblin, dealing 27 damage
The flames on Jayde's Lightbringer deal an additional 3 damage
This way, if a monster is weak to slashing attacks but happens to absorb fire, you will hit it hard with the physical part of the attack but will heal it with the fire you wield.
...Complicated, I know, but there it is.
One last note on this subject, but magic spells will probably never use slash, bash or thrust damage types. I suppose I could do that, but it seems like a lot more work. In that instance, however, the magical part of the damage would be calculated first, and the slash/bash/thrust stuff would be an after-effect. The difference here is that you don't need a weapon to cast magic, but you will need a weapon for many of these skills. Magic, lacking a specific instrument, will probably not be stuck delivering random slash/bash/thrust damage because of the weapon the magic user is holding.

Thanks for reading. Do tell me your thoughts.

2014-09-01 07:50:33

I wouldn't mind more of a Shadow Rine type screen layout (as in, you move from screen to screen), and I'm even open for hazards on screen (gaps to fall into, lava, deep water or whatnot). I do not want this to play an enormous role in the game, however, and absolutely none in combat. I still want turn-based combat, not action-RPG-style combat like SR has.

I also definitely want an airship or some other vehicular conveyance later in the game...that way, you can return to long-before-visited areas simply by talking to your navigator and selecting from a list. This would be easier than raw navigation, after all...I don't intend the player to actually fly the ship.

I also want it to be possible for players to both buy from and sell to shops, and to be able to appraise stuff before they buy it so they know what it is.

2014-09-01 09:29:39

At a first glance this seems reasonable and robust enough. It is relatively easy to code, too.
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-09-01 09:50:30

Jayde, I certainly like what I am hearing so far. I don't see anything overly complicated in your stats system etc in terms of coding. Unfortunately, I can't even complete my own projects to be an active contributor in this project, but I am following along with the discussion as the project does sound interesting. I'm also taking notes because I might be able to build upon certain suggestions here and give useful suggestions as progress continues on this project.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-09-01 18:06:20

I'm going to include some boss ideas and a couple of skills/spells with some more complex stuff behind them, I think, see what you guys think of those, too. I'm glad nothing so far immediately strikes you as overly difficult. Thanks for all the feedback, by the way.

2014-09-02 02:46:58

Hi Jayde.
Well I myself am not a fan of turn-based systems but if it's really important to you how about something like alter aeon's combat system? For example you scan ahead and see an enemy you walk up to it and combat begins. Instead of just making your choices and then seeing what happens you will have to do something like type in the names of your attacks. Like kick, punch, cast spell etc. This way it's a little of both a action and turn based system. Then you just press a key to run away if your health is low and your close to dying or you win the fight.
I know a lot of people on here like games with voice acting in them but what if the whole game were text-based? Of course it would still be an audio game but instead of having people acting when you talk to other characters or things like that it is all text-based. For example you can have a very long conversation with a character without spending all the money on high quality actors. Let me tell you this makes the game a lot cheaper to produce and it also makes it simpler to add more content because your not loading a whole lot of large media files at once which will slow down the game considerably.
You also mentioned you wanted a main villain with a storyline. One of the things I've noticed authors of books like stephen king and brandon sanderson do is they have the main storyline and then throughout the main storyline they have interludes where you get to see things through the villains point of view. I think this would be really something interesting to put in an audiogame. So for example your playing through the game you finish a certain task and then the gameplay will stop and you will see the title screen interlude and apart of the bosses story. Maybe in each interlude you get a bit of information about the boss. The more you progress through the game the more interludes you read until you have all of the bosses story. So when you finish the last interlude probably soon after you'll have to fight the boss himself.
And what  about having a gamebook like system in the game? Maybe you finish a level or quest and have to choose between several things you do next? Like maybe you finish a boss battle and then you have to choose between saving a princess or completing another objective. If you decide not to save the princess and do something else maybe she get's killed and you make an enemy out of the king. This way each choice you make will effect the storyline in some way so that each time you play the game it has a different outcome.
And just one more thing. I don't know why this has never been in an audio game before but I think you should be able to choose whether your good or evil. This would make the game very complex.
Sorry for the long post after I posted here the other day I started thinking about what would make a good rpg and a good game in general so let me know what you think.

Guitarman.

2014-09-02 03:00:21

A few things:

1. I am not against something being screenreader-based. Voice-acting is secondary to me. If I can get voice-acting, great. If I can't, oh well.
2. I am absolutely dead set on a turn-based RPG where battles are random, aka Final Fantasy. Perhaps for some optional bosses you will be able to approach them and be able to see that they're there, but generally I want it so that, barring fixed fights, you do not know what sort of encounter you'll get next, or exactly when. Some areas (outworld, dungeon, etc), will have random enemies. Some areas (cities, towns and houses) will be safe. Certain maps will have certain encounters (you won't get a wicked strong dragon rampaging around the first area of the game). This turn-based thing is one issue I really, really don't intend to change my mind about.
3. Regarding a gamebook sort of thing...to some extent I want there to be choice, but I don't want the game to play like a gamebook. There may be things you can do to make certain people like or not like you so much, and I fully intend for a few subquests to have mutually exclusive choices.
4. The way my story is shaping up, being "evil", as such, would consist of just letting the villains continue to do what they're doing. There's really no game there. I understand what you're saying about good and evil, and perhaps there will be a few different endings with various degrees of quote-unquote good, but I feel like the more open you make a game, the more you make it like a sandbox. I'm not a total purist, but I do like a bit of honest-to-goodness driving force in an RPG; if you constantly let a player choose to be good or evil, it results in two soft options, while making them commit, to some degree at least, to the side of good means that you can focus a great deal on one side of the spectrum.
5. That said, a few things from the villain's perspective are par for the course. The player is going to know and learn things that the protagonists themselves, in-character, maybe don't know, or don't know until much later at any rate. Probably the villain stuff will be cutscene-ish, but it'll be there.

2014-09-02 05:12:43

Hi Jayde.
No I don't want the game to play like a gamebook either  I just meant that after something is completed you use checkboxes to decide what you do next sort of like playing a table-top game except there's no dice. Almost like playing silversword accept that game is still inaccessible. Also what I meant by good and evil is that you slowly become good or evil throughout the game depending on your choices. So maybe if you choose to kill another character just because they annoy you you might become slightly more evil. Or if you choose to side with one antagonist or another. But if you decide to help another character do something boaring like get them food it makes you good. This would also make the game more interesting since it will change how npcs react to the characters in your group. Choosing whether your good or evil at the beginning of the game would be pretty disappointing like you said it would really limit the story.
It would also be nice if the bosses had distinctive personalities. I've always wanted to make a really smug villain in a game if you've played mortal kombat 9 and seen Quan Chi and Shang Tsung in the story mode then you'll understand what I mean. One of those characters you love to hate. And I'm glad you don't have a problem doing without voice acting since we could make a game and add the voices later if that's what people want.

Guitarman.

2014-09-02 05:45:24

I want to go beyond the check-box sort of deal.

Let's say that you're in a tower, and on the third floor you come across a locked door. You obtain the key, unlock the door and, lo and behold, there's a prisoner. Simply by going out of your way to have unlocked his room will be enough to get you whatever that particular side-quest entailed. If you did the dungeon without rescuing the prisoner and never came back, then let's say his wife, who's back in town, will always pine for him and will never help you (whereas releasing him causes her to react more favourably toward you).
I do like that actions might sometimes change how people deal with you but I want to stay away from check boxes or simple radio buttons to select. I like the player having to go find stuff, or bring things to the right person, rather than just clicking a box after a "Will you rescue or kill the princess?" prompt.

I am thinking that there are three villains, really. The main one starts out being angry and frightened, and by the end has simply become desperate to keep what he has at all costs. Not evil, per se, but letting him have his way is going to hurt a whole lot of people. The second villain is related to the first, and knows in her heart that what's going on is wrong, but can't find it in herself to take the right side. The third starts out quiet and fairly unknown, just helping the antagonist's cause, and then I think something's going to happen that sends this last villain rogue in a big way.

2014-09-05 05:30:16

Okay, just a couple of things, at least in part since I don't want this topic to get completely buried.

1. Can someone tell me how difficult it will be to include resurrection items that will work inside of combat? If in a fight a character dies (friend or foe) and an ally resurrects that character, is this doable in a scheme similar to the one I laid out a couple of posts ago? I ask because I would want all buffs and ailments gone, so if the character had Haste when they died, they no longer do. I would hope this is as simple as removing all buffs on death instantly, but it also worries me because I wouldn't want a character finding a loophole where that doesn't always work and essentially stacking the hell out of effects that don't go away when the target dies.

2. For gear, I'm thinking each character will have two hand slots, a feet slot, a body slot and a head slot, as well as an accessory slot and a personal slot. The personal is for stuff like mementos or whatnot, and I would want those to be completely character-based; other gear could be traded out pretty much at whim, but those mementos could never be swapped between characters. Maybe one of them would give the wearer a bit more experience, or the other one would kick up the wearer's agility and foresight considerably when they're below a certain threshold. I'd have to be certain, for something like this, that a player didn't trigger the boost, heal, then trigger the boost again, so there would have to be a debuff if/when the player heals. So how do you guys feel about each character having a few personal items that they and only they can equip? Perhaps they would be unlocked via side-quests and extra stuff, but I'm thinking each character should start with one. Probably not a great one, but it's a thought anyway.

3. How easy would it be to incorporate day and night into the game? I would really, really love that. If the game could somehow read your computer's clock and knew it was night, some of the music/monsters would be different. Perhaps some stuff would have to happen only during the day or only at night (I don't want to start getting down to the hour or down to the minute, as that gets awfully finicky). Failing that, what about a system where x number of RL minutes equals one in-game day, so the game would cycle back and forth from day to night automatically? Would either of these be doable (obviously I would only need one).

I hope you guys don't think I'm aiming too high, but I really want to make one smash of a turn-based RPG, and with some of your help, I really do believe we can do it.

2014-09-05 17:56:41

Hello Jayde.
Well any of these could be added easily. I'm not sure how you would get the game to follow along with your computer's clock but it is definitly easy to have a timer so that at a certain point in the game it turns from day to night. I really like your idea since it would mean that you can only do certain things at certain times like go to stores or talk to other characters. Also the idea of different monsters coming out at night is awesome. Maybe you have vampires, werewolves, and others come out at night but they run and hide during the day. Also it would be cool to have weather changes in the game. So if the sun is out and it's really hot maybe your characters get tired quiclly while fighting enemies in the hot son. Or if it's snowing maybe your characters have a harder time fighting because of slipping and sliding in the snow.
And it's no problem at all to add resurrection items you just subtract the value of what the character's stats were before they died. The only problem is let's say you have a wizard and his group to fight. You kill 2 enemies and then the wizard resurrects them. This would make the game overly hard. I think we should add a limit on how many times you can resurrect a character. Maybe once or twice just to make the game fair. Also having a slot for personal items would be awesome. Like maybe you have a necklace that you took from an enemy. Maybe you can't use it as a weapon but you can open your personal slot and have the game tell you when and where you got it.
Also having different slots for body parts is a great idea. You could start wearing things like helmets, boots, pants, armor, to protect yourself from enemy attacks. I think it would also help to have an organization system especially when you pick up a lot of stuff. Maybe you open your inventory and press o to organize your items into columns so you can look for something in particular like a certain weapon or potion.

Guitarman.

2014-09-05 18:36:21

I was thinking the I key would bring up your inventory, and it would be automatically sorted into columns or subsections. Restoratives, armour, weapons, accessories. Then in each of those it would be further separated, so for restoratives you might have HP healing, MP healing, status items and resurrection. In weapons you might have slashing weapons, bashing weapons and thrusting weapons. That sort of deal.

I might include some environmental variables like snow or excessive heat, but I don't want to go overboard with those. I did fully intend for certain enemies to come out at night though, while some only come out during the day. Also, way ahead of you on stores. Many would be open only during the day, but perhaps there would be some sort of black market somewhere that was only open at night. I don't know.

2014-09-05 21:43:25

Just got another idea too, by the way. A bestiary.

I'm thinking that very near the start of the game, your main character will be given a sort of notebook or glass orb or something which can store monster data in it. The character will also be taught the "scan" command, which would be a 1-stamina 1-MP move which took a turn to examine the enemy. Scan would only be needed on random enemies, not bosses. The idea would be that, say, 3-4 successful scans would give you all the information about the monster you could want: physical description, stats, resistances and special attacks or item drops, if any. I would set Scan's success rate at 80% at the start of any combat, but every time you attempted it, success or fail, it would drop by 20%. This way, if you're lucky you can scan the same enemy twice or even three times in a fight and nearly fill up its data, but mostly you're probably not going to be quite so lucky and might waste turns (and get pounded in the meantime) trying to get bestiary information.
Concurrent with this, I think that the bestiary should be organized by area or map, and once you have all the data for all the monsters present on any given map, you could return to the guy who gave you the bestiary to get a prize. Perhaps he unlocks random monsters? Perhaps new skills? Perhaps it's just an experience and money reward. I'm thinking it should be related to two things: the map that's been completed, and the number of maps you've completed in total. So let's say you've just finished your fifth map, Rolling Veldt. Maybe if Rolling Veldt is a fairly early-game area you only get 5 Tincture of Recovery and 200EXP for all party members, but because by doing so you've completed 5 maps, you get a one-time bonus of 1000 gold, and now a random enemy called the Carrion Crawler is loose somewhere.
That, or perhaps the bestiary guy wants info like this because he's into research of his own, and maybe he keeps a battle arena where more monster data means you can opt to fight bosses he has made or captured himself. Just a thought.